Male
    Number of posts : 147
    Where I live : wigan, lancashire, england
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2009-05-17

Life in Nanning and the in-laws

Post by davey.B on 11/02/10, 06:23 pm

Hi all,
    I have recently married inNanning and had a great time . However I have a little problem in that my wife wishes to visit her family each day, I didn't mind at first but am getting a little tired of the routine which involves , eating daily with her folks , having her parents ( i think) give her advice about things, I feel they are not best placed to understand. Any thoughts ?They do not speak english are are really nice people but it's tiring me .She washes clothes at her parents, has stacks of clothes and stuff there and showers and such there often .
    I also brought lots of documentation to Nanning , but she insists now I process the visa application in England as she says the Chinese authorities will mess it up. ( her mother said this ) I love my wife , but her daily visits I feel are interupting my few weeks in Nanning and taking too much of our time . Today I told her if she wishes to visit , she must go alone as I may want to do other things . I marries her , but her parents feature in our daily life to much.
    Thanks for your input
    Dave.b
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: Life in Nanning and the in-laws

Post by davidmckendrick on 11/02/10, 07:30 pm

Once your wife is in England she will have a lot of difficulty visiting her parents so maybe just let her have time with them for the moment.
    You cannot process her visa application in UK. She has to apply in China (Guangzhou). You are not applying for a visa for her. You are sponsoring her visa application.
    It is common that Chinese believe what other Chinese tell them rather than listen to us. Get your wife to speak to John, Graham or Kraziman's wives.

Post by Guest on 11/02/10, 07:35 pm

Dave,
    You must appreciate that Chinese family values are different to those of the west.
    Family in China is very important. Your wife sounds very caring, for her parents, the meals with them are saving you money and she is thinking of you for this reason. Go along with the meals, and visits, but tell her you would like to visit some places during the day time and take in some shopping.
    As for the Visa, you need to apply in China not England as she needs to give them the correct documents and answer some questions at the time of application.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 12/02/10, 09:40 am

Hi Dave, This sounds like a classic case of misunderstandings of cultures.
    In her mind she is saving you money, and you are now part of the family, but you are also here for a holiday and want to visit other places. I fully understand the situation.

All of the local government offices are closed until 20th, although the Visa centre is only closed on the 15th, 16th, and 17th.
    You brought lots of documentation to Nanning, but has your wife prepared all of hers for the Visa application ? Notorisation and translated ? If not then you have a problem !
    There are options open to you though.

I am in Nanning myself, visiting family, and applying for my wifes sons Visa.
    I am staying at the Asean Hotel. Tel 5803958. Room 85013.
    Only problem with the ex-pats is that most wifes don't speak English, except one (Graham50), but he is away for a few days.
    Give me a call for a chat, or leave your contact details.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 23/10/18, 10:38 pm