Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 324
    Where I live : Wolverhampton
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2006-11-15

Your Thoughts please

Post by aeothoneoeth on 07/04/10, 09:16 am

My wife has been with me in the UK for nearly 3 years now, as we were unable to satisfy the language element for a ILR visa at the 2 year stage we applied and got a FLR for 2 more years.

My wife having now having ESOL 1 and 2 entry level is in a position to apply for ILR.

My question is Should we apply NOW (as she has been here longer that the 2yr period) or wait till nearer the end of this current visa?

I can see nothing to be gained by waiting and costs will only rise and requirements become more difficult, but I would like the views of the members in case I have missed something.

Douglas.

Re: Your Thoughts please

Post by Guest on 07/04/10, 09:32 am

Hi Douglas,
    Go for it. Get your ILR.
    No need to wait as long as your wife and you for fill the criteria of the application for ILR you will have no problems.
    If you are unsure, call the UK Border Agency Enquiry line ask them the main question to satisfy your needs and make the application.

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 518
    Where I live : Norwich UK
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2008-02-17

Post by Mudgy190 on 07/04/10, 04:37 pm

Yes I agree, nothing to be gained by waiting and who knows what the future holds. Only certainty is that fees will go up
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 07/04/10, 06:00 pm

Ask the Borders Agency if there is any restriction on when she can apply for ILR. If not then there is no point in waiting after she has reached the necessary criteria. I take it that her ESOL course has included "Citizenship" material. In other words she doesn't have to sit a separate "Life in the UK" test. Make sure you get a letter from the College to state that the Citizenship stuff is included.
    Good luck
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 07/04/10, 09:36 pm

Hi Douglas,

FLR is a temporary Visa and your wife has no recourse to public funds.
    ILR is a permanent Visa and your wife has recourse to public funds.
    What are you waiting for...................faster....................run !

aeothoneoeth
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 324
    Where I live : Wolverhampton
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2006-11-15

Post by aeothoneoeth on 08/04/10, 08:51 am

Thanks Guys for your take on things, I have supporting letter so fingers crossed.
    Always good to have the forum for reassurance in case I have missed anything obvious.
    Douglas
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 08/04/10, 06:43 pm

Hi Douglas,

To confirm you meet the 'new' requirements before you apply, please read this:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/25-kol-settlement1
    Also this page:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/#header2

This issue was recently discussed in this topic on the Forum.
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/general-conversation-f8/english-lessons-for-your-wife-in-uk-t1566.htm
    Please read from post 19 onwards to ensure you have the correct documentation to prove the ESOL qualification before you apply, as your money is not refundable if the application is refused.

Last edited by handyal on 08/04/10, 09:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post by Guest on 08/04/10, 08:02 pm

Hi Peter.

As we all know immigration rules and conditions seem to
    be changing by the month. Since you applied for your wife's visa Peter the
    rules have changed again. This was taken from the border agencies website

`The UK Border Agency is making important changes to the ESOL provisions
    within the 'knowledge of language and life' requirement for people
    seeking settlement in the UK. These changes will come into force on 7
    April 2010.`

Border Agencies website at

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/#header2

It is not the case of if you been through it, I think you
    have constantly got to keep one eye on the changing rules to keep
    oneself up to date, as Eric mentioned in a previous post.

Post by Guest on 09/04/10, 10:34 am

Robert,
    You and I both know that the only changes made is for the College or place of learning must be Accredited, no other changes?

As I mentioned else where, use your common sense and ask questions if you don't know, stop being shy, there aint no one out there that will give it to you on a plate.

Post by Guest on 09/04/10, 02:05 pm

I think both of you misunderstand what I'm saying Peter is saying if you not been through it don't answer what authority as to say this it's a forum after all, members can express what they wish or is there some new rule I don't know about.

Yes new changes is about college if a members wife as not been to right college her English course is not accredited then she will not be able to apply for her ILR is this right information or not is it worth informing members about the new changes to colleges.

How do you know Douglas's wife course is accredited. Peter there's no mention in Douglas post that his wife Esol course is accredited

Or shall we just leave it to you two to answer members' questions
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 09/04/10, 02:26 pm

To All,

Douglas has asked: Your Thoughts Please

I know little about the subject but have done some research and as we all know, things are changing fast. What has been good for one might not be applicable now. Many colleges have jumped on the bandwagon to make a few quid out of this so, rightly, the government will only accept courses from accredited colleges, am I right or wrong?

Any member can post their 'Thoughts Please' as Douglas has asked.

My Thought? . As others have said Go For It!

Graham50

Post by Guest on 09/04/10, 05:46 pm

Hi Peter

You seen to be contradicting yourself you say it's got nothing to do with ESOL then you say he has the ESOL 1 and 2 in his possession now he can apply for her ILR., Yes he can apply for her ILR if her college is not accredited or her ESOL 1 and 2 is not accredited then he will be refused his wife ILR and no refund will be granted a great deal of money wasted just making one simple phone-call to the college making sure its wife's ESOL is accredited will save him a great deal of money with information he receive here. Is that that value information.OK

Nobody is going off the subject it's a Value Point

Why send him a P M with the information when you can share it with the rest of the membership

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 09/04/10, 05:55 pm

roadie1 wrote:Well Robert
    Why are you all going off the question this post has got nothing to do with ESOL OK
    He says in his post that his wife has now got ESOL 1 and 2 and is now in a passion to apply for her ILR.

My wifes always in a passion, its wearing me out! Hi Robert were you carbooting today?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 09/04/10, 06:01 pm

Douglas's original post was to ask for our thoughts if they should apply for ILR now, as his wife now has ESOL entry level 1 and 2.The general opinion is why wait, go for it now. I don't think anyone disagrees with that advice.

However Douglas then posted this:
    aeothoneoeth wrote:Thanks Guys for your take on things, I have supporting letter so fingers crossed.
    Always good to have the forum for reassurance in case I have missed anything obvious.
    Douglas

Note his only comment is that he has a supporting letter, no mention of a certificate !!!
    Al correctly pointed out they should go for it as long as they fulfilled the criteria. A supporting letter does not fulfill the criteria.
    I merely posted links for Doug to check that his documents met the new criteria required from April 7th, 2010.
    Al stated the only change was that the Colleges should be 'accredited', which is correct, but also, and not mentioned, is that the ESOL qulification certificate must also have been issued by an approved awarding body. The links I supplied list these awarding bodies.

It is Douglas's responsibility to check his documentation fulfills the criteria, but I also feel a responsibilty to the members to direct them to the information in order that Douglas can check his documentation is in order.
    I would feel awful if Douglas applied only to find his application refused because his documentation was not in order, and I had not posted information of which I had knowledge, and feel would be useful for Douglas in order for him to make a decision.
    Are we not a forum for information. Let Douglas make the choice when we have done everything in our power to ensure he has the up to date facts.

It would be irresponsible to tell Douglas to go for the ILR Visa for his wife without waiting, which was his original question, without pointing out the recent changes, and ensuring that Douglas has a qualification certificate from an 'approved awarding body', and that the College from which his wife took her ESOL lessons is an 'accredited' College, otherwise his application is a waste of his time and valuably money.

Post by Guest on 09/04/10, 06:03 pm

Hi Peter.

You're quite right it's a visa section to obtain your ILR visa you must have the right documents this includes ELOS course what should be accredited from the new ruling from the Borders Agency posted on their website from 7th April which is valued information and keeping to the subject. This is the information I wish to give to the membership as far as I'm concerned the matter is closed.

Post by Guest on 09/04/10, 06:13 pm

Al wrote:Hi Douglas,
    Go for it. Get your ILR.
    No need to wait as long as your wife and you for fill the criteria of the application for ILR you will have no problems.
    If you are unsure, call the UK Border Agency Enquiry line ask them the main question to satisfy your needs and make the application.

Just thought I would add the above.
    Notice I do say and I quote myself on this matter, "AS LONG AS YOUR WIFE AND YOU FOR FILL THE CRITERIA OF THE APPLICATION FOR ILR YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS."

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?
    I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE SUBJECT MATTER HAS BEEN LOST?
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 09/04/10, 11:09 pm

That is called 'Internet shouting' and is usually frowned upon.

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/04/10, 06:33 am

makem wrote:That is called 'Internet shouting' and is usually frowned upon.

Yes, it is seen to be rude and quite frankly there is no need for it.

Post by Guest on 10/04/10, 01:59 pm

OH it is good to see that some people on this forum know about netiquette.

The reason for the Shout? Well, the main reason is this topic was taken off topic by a couple of members who decided to get personal.
    Leave it off the forum if you want to get personal send an email or take it to voice on Skype.

Having respect for the membership no matter who you are, be it owner, admin, moderator or member.

I wish others were as well informed as you Eric and Patrick.

Cheers
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 10/04/10, 02:20 pm

ROFLMAO!

And heres me just been choked off for making an off-topic post on a subject I never mentioned!

Wa! it's a good some of us people can still laugh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21/01/19, 11:40 am