Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 134
    Where I live : UK
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2010-01-17

Marriage in Nanning

Post by Kev on 11/04/10, 12:12 pm

Could someone please go over my plans here and tell me if I have missed anything, thanks
    I am getting married in Nanning in May to my lovely fiancee Lu Yi Chun. I have my CNI and my Decree Absolute, both of these have been legalised and I have photocopies. I plan to go to American Translation to have these translated into Chinese. Do I need to have my passport translated or photocopied for the marriage ??
    We will then go to Winhand studio's for the 3 photos for the marriage book. My fiancee has all her paperwork sorted for the marriage.
    Do we need to book the marriage office or do we simply just arrive, how long does the marriage normally take ?
    Do you get the marriage book/certificate on the same day as getting married or is there any delay here ?
    Many thanks
    Kev
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Re: Marriage in Nanning

Post by handyal on 11/04/10, 01:12 pm

Hi Kev,
    Your passport does not need translating. Good idea to photocopy the passport including the Visa page.
    You shouldn't need to show your Decree Absolute if the wording of your CNI is correct and clearly states 'and have never remarried since this date'. I wouldn't bother wasting money getting your Decree Absolute translated, just have it handy but I doubt they will ask to even see it.

No appointment is necessary. Just turn up, but they do close for lunch. The marriage procedure takes 10 minutes. They check your documents, print the marriage books, and hand them to you within minutes. It really has no comparison to marriage procedures in the UK, and no formalities. Sit down, hand over your documents, wait, receive the marriage books, stand up, and leave !

I recently went to the Marriage office in February to clarify some issues. I posted sticky announcements at the top of this section.
    If you haven't spotted them before take a look now. 'Checklist of Documents for Marriage in China' and 'Marriage in China'.
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 11/04/10, 03:53 pm

Thanks Al,
    I had my CNI drawn up by Chinese Visa Direct ( I know I could have done this myself and saved 15 ) There wording is " I am currently single, free to marry and know of no legal impediment to me marrying"
    So to be on the safe side I also had the Decree Absolute legalised. Do you think the wording above is ok or should I have the Decree translated just in case !
    The marrige book/certificate are these two different things, and do you get both at the same time. Will they both need translating into English for the Visa application
    Many thanks
    Kev
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 11/04/10, 08:43 pm

Hi Kev,
    The wording sounds fine as it states you are currently single. Personally I would not translate your Decree Absolute.
    Worst comes to the worst it can be translated within an hour. Not really a problem.

Only the marriage books are supplied instantly. A marriage certificate can be supplied but a few days later, and you must ask for it. I have one, but to be honest it could have been typed by myself, no stamps, no address of office. It isn't really needed.
    The marriage books are the real proof, both in China and in the UK. The marriage books will need to be translated into English for the Visa application.
    jo

Male
    Number of posts : 5
    Where I live : england
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2010-05-08

translation

Post by jo on 08/05/10, 09:09 am

Hi all ! new to the site but , grateful it is here . I am hoping to marry in June in Nanning , can someone please clarify how long and where I get documents translated in Nanning ! Also I read that there is no need to book the wedding well in advance , is this 100% accurate as I have read elsewhere there is a minimum period of 3 weeks .

Cheers Jo

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 518
    Where I live : Norwich UK
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2008-02-17

Post by Mudgy190 on 08/05/10, 09:28 am

Hi Jo, I think the three weeks you refer to is for a British wedding. Chinese weddings don't need all the rigmarole. There are many posts regarding this on here and I'm sure others will advise you more. Your wife to be will know where to get your translations done, but again there are others on here who will give you guidance on that. Welcome to the site
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 08/05/10, 09:39 am

Hi Jo, and welcome to the forum.

The marriage office for foreigners is unique in that it only caters for a foreigner marrying a Chinese citizen. No appointments are neccessary, just walk in. They close for lunch. The best time is between 10-11am or 13-14 pm. The procedure takes 15 minutes.
    Perhaps normal Chinese registrars offices have to be booked in advance, but 100% gauranteed not for foreigners.

Translations can be done by any approved government translation services. American translations (which is the name of the company), are well known, approved, and reliable. Sorry don't know the address.

Have you read the 'sticky' announcements at the top of this section. There are two with marriage information for Nanning.
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 08/05/10, 11:43 am

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forum.

The main translation agency in Nanning is:

Nanning America Translation Co Ltd
    3rd Floor, Xianglong Biulding
    31 Yuanhu South Rd
    Nanning
    Tel 0771 2268002 / 13152663919 Fax 0771 2262039 email:
    qs800@126.com
    8am - 6pm

The Goverment Dept for Foreign Affairs (translations) is at:
    14 Minzhu Rd, Nanning.

Although translations can be done 'next day', I would allow a three day time period.
    As with most offices, allow an extended period for lunch!

Just turn up at the marriage office .... and join the queue!

MadGee
    nigelld7
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 304
    Where I live : Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2009-03-13

Post by nigelld7 on 08/05/10, 04:07 pm

Hi Jo

Welcome to the forum.

I think the three weeks you are referring to is the 21 days wait after the declaration made on your CNI.
    If you already have this done before you leave the U.K. then the time period will have been covered.

If not and you arrive in China, then there will be a need to go to the British Consulate in Guangzhou and make the declaration there.After 21 days have elapsed they will then post the certificate [as well as a translation] to you via EMS to your address in China.

Good luck.
    jo

Male

3 weeks wait

Post by jo on 09/05/10, 09:59 am

Thanks to you all for your help it is appreciated ..... I am a bit worried re - 3 weeks wait ..is this three weeks waiting for Chinese embassy to legalise document ??? Tomorrow I receive from notary here in UK then send to Milton Keynes ...then to Chinese visa centre .... am I up to speed ? Jo
    nigelld7
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by nigelld7 on 09/05/10, 10:34 am

Hi Jo

The simple answer is yes. Exclamation You say your marriage is liable to take place in June. After submitting your CNI to the Chinese Embassy in U.K., the 21 days will have elapsed before you arrive here in June.

It is only in China that you have to wait 21 days if you arrive without a CNI.

If you read through the previous postings, you will find that Handyal has covered this specific point.

Hope this helps,
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 09/05/10, 11:02 am

Hi Jo, if your CNI has been prepared by a Notary, then I presume you are divorced.
    Your CNI is valid for 3 months when issued by the Notary, but is valid for 6 months after legalisation by the FCO and Chinese Embassy. You are well within these restrictions if you intend to marry in June.

The wording of your CNI in this case is very important. It should clearly give details of your previous divorce, and should state that you have never remarried since that date, therefore single, and free to marry.

Please read the following links, and links posted on these:
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/marriage-and-visa-help-f2/checklist-of-documents-for-marriage-in-china-t1568.htm
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/marriage-and-visa-help-f2/marriage-in-china-t1560.htm

Please do not hesitate to ask if you are confused, or have any other questions. Better to be safe than sorry !

Your notary will be able to get your CNI legalised by the FCO and the Chinese Embassy probably much cheaper than going through an agent such as China Visa Direct. You can apply for your Visa to China, by post, direct to CVASC.
    (Chinese Visa application Service Centre). http://www.visaforchina.org.uk/visaen/visaView.html?method=index

The law in China maintains you must give 21 days notice of your intention to marry. If you apply for your CNI at a local registrar office in the UK, or at the British Consulate in China, then they will not issue your CNI for 21 days after your application in order to comply with the law.
    If you apply through a notary, this is also giving notice of your intention to marry. By the time your document is legalised, and you arrive in China, as long as 21 days have elapsed since you made your CNI, then you have observed the 21 day waiting period.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 09/05/10, 01:09 pm

Jo says he is sending his CNI to be legalised at FCO in Milton Keynes then Chinese visa centre. Is this correct? I thought it was legalised at the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate in UK????

We used to call the 21 day waiting period "Calling the Banns". The intention to marry was posted outside the Registrars Office and anyone had three weeks in which to notify their objection.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 09/05/10, 01:50 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:Jo says he is sending his CNI to be legalised at FCO in Milton Keynes then Chinese visa centre. Is this correct? I thought it was legalised at the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate in UK????

We used to call the 21 day waiting period "Calling the Banns". The intention to marry was posted outside the Registrars Office and anyone had three weeks in which to notify their objection.

FCO first then Chinese Embassy because FCO has a record of all UK Notaries and can affirm that the Notary is known and legal in the UK. The Chinese Embassy then approves the FCO confirmation which makes the CNI legal in China. It can be Legalised at any Chinese Embassy.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 09/05/10, 01:55 pm

Hi David, Jo would have to send his CNI to an agent like 'China Visa Direct' to get it legalised by the Chinese Embassy, as they do not accept postal applications. That is why I stated he should ask his Notary, who can get it legalised by both FCO and the Chinese Embassy.
    Jo can then apply for his own Visa to China by post to CVASC. It works out a lot cheaper this way, depending on what the notary will charge. Cost me around 100 for the notary, and legalisation, through the notary.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 09/05/10, 02:01 pm

Hi Eric, you missed David's point.
    Jo stated FCO then Chinese Visa Centre, not Chinese Embassy, which was Davids enquiry.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 09/05/10, 02:21 pm

handyal wrote:Hi Eric, you missed David's point.
    Jo stated FCO then Chinese Visa Centre, not Chinese Embassy, which was Davids enquiry.

Nope, I didn't!

I gave correct route and reasons for such.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 09/05/10, 07:43 pm

OK, I just wanted to make clear to Jo that he gets his Chinese visa at the Chinese visa centre by post and has to present the CNI to the Chinese Consulate or Embassy for legalisation after getting it legalised at Milton Keynes. Depending on where he lives it would probably be cheaper to get this done by his Notary.
    jo

Male

Post by jo on 10/05/10, 10:25 am

thanjs all for the detail , I think I am on track now ...walking the documents around myself ...but one last question ...is it bettter if i get my wife to be to make marriage appointment to ensure twenty one days have elapsed incase someone is slow with legalisation here ?
    Look forward to meeting you all in Nanning ..... Jo

Post by Guest on 10/05/10, 10:55 am

Hi Jo

Welcome to the forum.

I have a little bit of a surprise for you your wife will be making the wedding arrangements regardless what you say lol, your wife can make any arrangements when you present your documentation just make sure there 21 days there be no more problems. The normal process in China when you get married you can go through the legal process of marriage like we do at register wedding there is no witnesses at a Chinese wedding most times is just you and the wife, is not uncommon to have your wedding party days or even weeks later. May I take this opportunity to say congratulations to your forthcoming marriage.

Robert
    nigelld7
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by nigelld7 on 10/05/10, 02:10 pm

Hi Jo,

The marriage 'ceremony' in Nanning!

Catch the bus or taxi to the marriage bureau at whatever time suits you and the opening hours of the offices. No appointment needed. Wear whatever you like, jeans and T-shirt are the normal.
    Take the stairs to the first floor, toilets are on the ground floor if needed and extinguish cigarettes.
    Walk through the doors and turning right past many desks and workstations, the marriage office for foreigners is in the corner on the left.
    Greet the female on the left with 'ni hao' and sit down. Present your documents, which will be:

You
    1. Passport with visa inside.
    2. CNI (Certificate of No Impediment) legalised by the FCO and the Chinese Embassy in the UK. On arrival in China this document must be translated into Chinese before presentation.
    3. Temporary Residence permit [if applicable]

Your intended.
    1. ID Card.
    2. Hukou. (Household Register).
    3. Divorce / Death Certificates if applicable.

3 x photographs of you and your intended stood shoulder to shoulder with a red background.
    Any documents that need photocopying can be done on the premises.

The marriage clerk will then pass across two forms. Yours will be the top half in English and the bottom half in Chinese.
    Your wife to be will be given a form with the top half in Chinese and the bottom half in English. Both of you fill in the relevant halves. Then the clerk will pass across a folder and ask you to read aloud the English words which are the declaration. Tour wife to be will also read a Chinese declaration.

You will then be issued with a bill for 9 Yuan [currently] which you and your wife to be should take to the cashiers section and pay.

Upon returning to the marriage clerk's office, you present the receipt and wait for them to stick the photo's in the little red book and print the pages.

They will then give you one book each after about ten minutes.

If you wish a certificate, then ask for one now which they will post to you. That takes about three weeks and, as has been said before, not really worth it as the red book is recognized in England.

That's it, your done, MARRIED according to Chinese law.

You leave the offices and begin the journey of married life.

Hope this helps and again, Good Luck.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 11/05/10, 11:00 am

nigelld7 wrote:The marriage clerk will then pass across two forms. Yours will be the top half in English and the bottom half in Chinese.
    Your wife to be will be given a form with the top half in Chinese and the bottom half in English. Both of you fill in the relevant halves. Then the clerk will pass across a folder and ask you to read aloud the English words which are the declaration. Tour wife to be will also read a Chinese declaration.

You will then be issued with a bill for 9 Yuan [currently] which you and your wife to be should take to the cashiers section and pay.

In my case in Zhengzhou the 'forms' your mention are an affidavit which we both had to sign, with wording similar to my CNI. We paid the female who took the information and did not get a receipt, just the 2 books. The Marriage office insist that you use their recommended translator for my CNI, which is quite a walk from the office. The translation was given to us in a sealed envolope, not to be opened by us. (330rmb) We were given cards to read, about the marriage law etc but did not have to read aloud.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 11/05/10, 03:40 pm

Eric, did the registrar's office in Zhengzhou ask for any other form of documentation other than your passport and CNI ?
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 12/05/10, 02:07 am

handyal wrote:Eric, did the registrar's office in Zhengzhou ask for any other form of documentation other than your passport and CNI ?

They also asked for a copy of my passport which we had done at the translation office. I don;t know if this made the copy 'certified' but I doubt it.

So:
    Me
    1. Passport plus copy
    2. CNI plus translation
    Han
    1. Hu Kou
    2. ID card (passport not needed)
    3. Divorce book
    Both
    1. 3 copies of picuture of both side by side.
    2. Fee

Notes:
    The Marriage Office for lao wai is in the so called 'New Centre' of Zhengzhou, many miles from the current City centre. No appointment is needed but a phone call to let them know what day you will arrive is worthwhile. As the move so far only involves Government Offices, no shops exist that we could find. Taxis also virtually non-existant. So take plenty of water and some food and expect to return by bus (71) to the City.
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 12/05/10, 04:12 pm

Thanks to everyone for the really good advice given here. I arrived in Nanning in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Tuesday had my CNI translated at American translation. Wednesday I married my beautiful wife YiChun. We are staying in the Hawai International Hotel and will have the wedding dinner here on Friday evening. Next week we are travelling to Guagzhou to submit the visa application.
    Many thanks
    Kevin and YiChun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 04:03 am