Male
    Number of posts : 206
    Where I live : UK
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2009-05-14

when your wife first arrives

Post by larn on 07/07/10, 06:14 am

Hi
    Ying and I will be flying home in a couple of days, are there any important things we need to do once she gets here, i thought i should register her at the doctors/ dentists, perhaps she needs injections?

can you think of anything else?
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: when your wife first arrives

Post by davidmckendrick on 07/07/10, 07:26 am

I don't think she will require any injections.
    Take her to the jobcentre and arrange for her to get a National Insurance Number so that she will be allowed to work in UK.
    Take her to the supermarket and let her choose what she would like to eat.
    Give her a map of the area with your house, shops etc clearly marked and a card with your address and phone number. This will give her greater confidence when going out knowing that she should be able to find her way home. Maybe get her a mobile phone too.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 07/07/10, 09:37 am

davidmckendrick wrote:I don't think she will require any injections.
    Take her to the jobcentre and arrange for her to get a National Insurance Number so that she will be allowed to work in UK.
    Take her to the supermarket and let her choose what she would like to eat.
    Give her a map of the area with your house, shops etc clearly marked and a card with your address and phone number. This will give her greater confidence when going out knowing that she should be able to find her way home. Maybe get her a mobile phone too.

Get her a bike and she will feel really at home Smile

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 518
    Where I live : Norwich UK
    Registration date : 2008-02-17

Post by Mudgy190 on 07/07/10, 06:09 pm

Yes get her a mobile phone and no need to take her to the jobcentre for her NI number she can do it online or by telephone. If there is a chinese supermarket nearby take her there to get her bits and pieces. If shes like my wife she will look for bargains in the supermarket. Might need to introduce her to the dishwasher if you have one. Sort out her communications with China ( computer, cheap phone calls) The post Office gives you free calls to China landlines at the weekend, marvelous for them to talk to their family. Give her a big kiss and enjoy your life together.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 07/07/10, 08:36 pm

Dentists will only take private patients, no more NHS.

Take her to the doctors, and put her on the pill ! Otherwise, pitter, patter. LOL.

Get Skype downloaded, easy to talk with family, and make cheap calls to mobiles or landlines in China.

Post by Guest on 07/07/10, 08:41 pm

The first thing you want to buy your wife is a rice maker, has previously said take her to Chinese supermarket this will reassure her there's Chinese food in England. Don't be annoyed if she spends a lot of time on your computer talking to her friends its natural let her download Q Q or similar programme. cheap mobile phone is really a must just in case she gets lost. Finery I say this without any embarrassment from experience make sure your bed doesn't squeak I'm not going in detail why lol Just have a great life together

Last edited by Robert on 07/07/10, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 07/07/10, 09:59 pm

I'd also give her a key to the house before you leave China and let her open the door when you arrive, gives a sense of belonging. I agree with Robert take her shopping, although Ying and Ting were tired from the flight buying Chinese food on the way home will take away a little stress. Cuddle her a lot, make her know that you really love her the first week will be very stressfull for her even if it's not shown. Ying brought a plug in hard drive with her with all the information she required already on it. That made things very easy. Enjoy your life together.
    Chris
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 07/07/10, 10:28 pm

handyal wrote:Dentists will only take private patients, no more NHS.

Take her to the doctors, and put her on the pill ! Otherwise, pitter, patter. LOL.

Get Skype downloaded, easy to talk with family, and make cheap calls to mobiles or landlines in China.

Where did you find the information about NHS Dentists Alan? Do you have a link?

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Post by Guest on 07/07/10, 10:36 pm

What Alan is saying it can be true in the area where he is living because I think having dentist's who works on the NHS is really a lottery where your living.

My experienced down in sunny Norfolk about six weeks ago I register with a dentist with my family with my local dentist's register for treatment on NHS, this dentists has been absolutely first-class no difference them been private with him (so far).
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 08/07/10, 05:17 am

My wife and I are both registered with an NHS dentist but it was difficult to find one who hadn't gone private.
    Voipraider is good for calling people in China who do not have internet access.
    I did have a problem getting my computer to write in English after Mei had been using it. I finally gave up and bought a new one for her and got mine wiped clean and started again.

Post by Guest on 08/07/10, 08:37 am

I can only recall when my wife and son arrived in England at the time they don't mention every think to you because they don't want to showed disrespect to yourself and your family.

When you cook her the first English meal they always say it's very nice when in fact there are thinking what the bloody hell I am eating it is awful.
    What I did when I introduced my wife and son to English cooking I let them choose if they wanted Chinese or English meal every day it was always Chinese the only time I insisted they eat English was Sunday lunch which consisted of a roast meal the first Sunday roast was a disaster they just didn't like it I still persevered by the third Sunday they started to enjoy it, from their to this day it's about fifty-fifty Chinese or English and if we don't have Sunday roast my son can get really upset now and chicken or beef gravy is one of his favourites is plated swimming in gravy now.

Don't be surprised when you take your wife into an English supermarket when she notice all the dead chickens they think it's totally un fresh and un hygienic similar to your own reaction when you see live chickens in the market. Be careful about supermarkets offers like two for one my wife was under impression everything you buy one and get two or she see something says been reduced by 2 they think this is the price.

You will spend the next two years explain to your wife yes I know They do That In China but this is England we do things different can be really frustrating sometimes but just be patient.

When we moved to Norfolk and my wife's saw her first thatched cottage she thought some people in Norfolk was really poor, so beware of the unexpected.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 08/07/10, 09:46 am

I found a good way to introduce English food was to use the BBC food receipes.

It was good fun searching for the ingredients in China (just what is the Chinese for split peas?) Han reveled in the challenge, added or subtracted minor things and it all turned out edible.

It was the same when she was in England. Searching in the supermarkets for ingredients was a challenge for her. I found she knew far more than I did about ingredients. It was just the English names that need explanation when you could not see inside the bottle or tin.

I had a problem with salt. I don't like adding any salt but it seems the Chinese love it. I think Han sneaks in salt but I'm not sure.

I agree with Robert, it will take some time for your wife to enjoy English food but if she cooks it there is more chance that will happen sooner rather than later.

We can't wait to experiment with the oven. So much English food relies on an oven. I think she will be a dab hand at making bread judging by the Chinese bread she makes.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 08/07/10, 10:01 am

The first meal I cooked for Ying and Ting was a spaghetti dish using good 'ol mince. It went down well as they are noodle freaks...but they did lash it with loads of chilli...actually most meals are lashed with chilli LOL. Just as well I like it...and garlic! We grew 380 garlic bulbs in the garden last year and about 2 dozen chilli plants!! Ah, the Guilin girls like it hot! LOL. Larn was your wife country born and bred? If so she'll like to have a vegie garden Handyal will back me up there! Ying did want to buy mono sodium glutonate (probably spelt wrong!) I talked her out of it and so far I've been successful.
    Cheers,
    Chris.

Post by Guest on 08/07/10, 10:47 am

makem wrote:

I agree with Robert, it will take some time for your wife to enjoy English food but if she cooks it there is more chance that will happen sooner rather than later.

You are quite correct Eric if you allow your wife to do some English cooking she will enjoy it more, but sometimes not everythink goes to plan ,
    I remember one Sunday Li-Ping been here about three months she said could she cook the beef this particular Sunday we was having one of my favourite cut of beef this was rib of beef so I said carry on dear I was working on my computer at the time, thinking she was getting into her new culture I was really pleased, after 30 minutes she said the beef is ready I said cannot be she said don't argue with me it is, when I went into the kitchenI was expecting to see a nice succulent roasted ribe of beef
    Yes the beef was ready but she had cut it into one-inch cubes and cook it in the wok I could have cried what a waste but we do laugh about it today lol

Last edited by Robert on 08/07/10, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 08/07/10, 10:50 am

Robert wrote:

You are quite correct Eric if you allow your wife to do some English cooking she will enjoy it more, but sometimes not everythink goes to plan ,
    I remember one Sunday Li-Ping been here about three months she said could she cook the beef this particular Sunday we was having one of my favourite cut of beef this was rib of beef so I said carry on dear I was working on my computer at the time, thinking she was getting into her new culture I was really pleased, after 30 minutes she said the beef is ready I said cannot be she said don't argue with me it is, when I went into the kitchen yes the beef was ready but she had cut it into one-inch cubes and cook it in the wok I could have cried what a waste but we do laugh about it today lol

Ah Robert, you forgot to show her the recipe!

So she defaulted to her Chinese cooking lol
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 08/07/10, 12:28 pm

Using a knife and fork!

When I first came to China I really struggled with chopsticks and got constantly frustrated throwing noodles everywhere, much to the amusement of everyone around me. Now it's my turn to take the 'proverbial' out of Mei and Shangshu when we have a full Sunday roast and their use of the knife and fork. They take so long trying to cut a small bit of meat off a large slice, it normally ends up with me doing it for them or the slice of meat ends up like my noodles, all over the table!
    As with all things, patience and practise ... hehehe

MadGee
    daniel_hs_walsh

Male
    Number of posts : 34
    Where I live : Ganxu, Wuming, Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-05-04

Post by daniel_hs_walsh on 08/07/10, 12:40 pm

My wife never got used to English food, and she lived in England for 7 years. There were some dishes she enjoyed on the odd occasion, but she never felt satisfied after eating English food. I never understood until living in China. Now the shoe is on the other foot, I can see what she means. There are some days that the thought of eating another bowl of rice and oily vegetables drives me mad! Thank god for the few Western food restaurants in Nanning! They give the much needed break from Chinese food!
    larn
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 206
    Where I live : UK
    Registration date : 2009-05-14

Post by larn on 17/07/10, 04:19 am

Ying is enjoying herself so far i took her to London the other day, she wanted to see china town so i took her there and she bought lots of chinese food from a supermarket, even those little bowls and some chopsticks.
    I bought her a new sim card lyca plus, it costs her 4p a minute to call her mum, she had downloaded QQ without me even knowing and so i gave her a camera and mic , she is very clever with computers. she talks to her mum for hours and she has a friend in Brighton that she met on a forum who has also moved from china. i have been doing most of the cooking and cleaning, i cook her all kinds of things, she loves toast with cherry jam, i gave her a bowl of corn flakes, the milk went quickly but the soggy cornflakes were left in the bowl lol
    She liked most of the food i have cooked, yes i gave her spagetti too and she was well impressed!
    She does need lots of hugs as she is feeling some emotions now and then, shi think she is scared of my cat! he came running down the garden to see me when i got home and i opened the door, as he ran into the living room Ying yelped a little and curled up into a ball on the sofa . I have tried to give her assurance that he is friendly, but she is weary of him, he is equally as scared though lol.
    I have applied for her NI and will register her at the doctor soon. also want to put her on the pill, but after i asked her she didn't seem very interested
    Triker Dave

Male
    Number of posts : 22
    Where I live : Gloucester / UK
    I have visited China : 1 time
    Registration date : 2010-03-31

Post by Triker Dave on 21/07/10, 05:08 pm

Glad Ying is enjoying the new experience , we registered Hong & Linxi at same NHS dentist as me no problems , both have been there for treatment . the doctors was not a problem either .
    As for the food they had both seen me cooking roast chicken when talking on cam on sundays so they wanted to try it , they love it now Hong cooks a pork or chicken roast regular with the roast potatoes and all trimmings !
    she has her vegetable garden and we are now eating the 1st crop of carrots cauliflower and potatoes .. all very nice .
    she uses skype and QQ on computer to friends and cheap skype calls to mother who do not have a pc.
    seems they are adapting well , hope all the ladies do !
    regards Dave
    Stevo

Male
    Number of posts : 7
    Where I live : Wisconsin, USA
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by Stevo on 25/07/10, 03:47 pm

I really have to say that these are GREAT stories. My wife is getting ready to make the trip from Nanning to the US. As I'm reading these, I'm talking to her about the issues, it's really great and I want to thank you all for the posts and info. It's giving me a little heads up on what to expect right away.
    We're having a lot of discussions about what to bring, what to leave, what she wants when she gets here, very exciting times.
    Steve
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 25/07/10, 04:08 pm

Hi Steve,
    It certainly has it's moments. Coming into a new culture isn't easy. Food is packed differently, and little negotiations on the price of products. Clothes are never as good as in China, although the labels read 'Made in China'

They love to grow vegetables if you have a garden. Yesterday my wife cleared an area of raspberry bushes which grew just outside my back garden in a no-mans-land area. Her idea is that it will provide another area to grow even more vegetables.
    Thats fine until she decides to burn the bushes right outside my back gate, and the garage. There quick to adapt, and she has quickly learned how to use my gas blowtorch !!! Of course I had to stop her, explaining we have restrictions on open fires, and pollution, not to mention the garage catching alight.

'Well in China........................'. You will here these words a lot. You have to keep impressing that there not in China anymore.

Good luck, and have fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21/01/19, 11:58 am