Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 518
    Where I live : Norwich UK
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2008-02-17

ILR

Post by Mudgy190 on 09/07/10, 05:39 pm

I put in the above (ILR) to the search engine and ...nothing! I don't believe that is right as I am sure it has been discussed (and mentioned) many times. In any case, I have been a little 'laisez-faire' about the problem but now my wife has been here just over a year and obviously the question of ILR is beginning to show on the radar. She starts her ESOL course in September and I am now thinking about what other things are needed for the application. She tells me that we need our chinese marriage books to be translated, which suppose makes sense. Question is, as my daughter is going to China on Sunday, would it be acceptable to have the marriage docs translated there? If so I can get her to do. I know the price would be a lot better but would it be acceptable? Aso a list of all things needed for ILR would be helpful from those who 'have the T-Shirt'
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Re: ILR

Post by makem on 09/07/10, 06:39 pm

Hi Mudgy,

We also will be following you later.

Would you please collate the advice you get and that which you actually use into one post when you make the application?

We started making at list of things to consider when your wife comes to England and need the information about the part you will need to do to complete the list.

General Conversation/ Suggested Web Site Addition... is where our list is atm.

Cheers,
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 09/07/10, 09:41 pm

Hi Patrick,
    Ref your marriage books and translation.
    When you applied for the settlement Visa you had to supply an original translation, and a photocopy, of your marriage books.
    The original translation would have been returned to you, they keep the photocopy.
    Where are all your returned documents. (Still in the Tesco bag) ?
    Our marriage books have a page in Chinese, and a page in English anyway !

The easiest way to find what documents you need, and the procedure for ILR, is to download the application form, and guidance notes. The process is much easier than the original application for her Settlement Visa.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformsset(m)/

Set (M) Indefinate Leave to Remain.

Last edited by handyal on 10/07/10, 08:01 am; edited 6 times in total

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/07/10, 06:37 am

Will do Eric. and Alan, your link returns 'page not found', but I will have a look for it later it's probbly been moved or is in the process of being changed! (not necessarily for the better)

Post by Guest on 10/07/10, 07:01 am

Hi Patrick.

The documents required for ILR similar for your previous visa but instead of proving a relationship you have to prove you're living together the documents required to do this is

Bank statements, council tax bill or statement, utility bills, tenancy agreement, telephone bills, documents from your GP with your wife's name on, if your wife is working and reference from employment if possible stating how long she been working there. For your daughter documents from college even if she has a clothing catalogue the name and your address on statements anything would do to prove your living together at the same address.

Including the following

A Life in the UK test pass notification letter; (or)

A relevant ESOL qualification.

marriage certificate

Passports

Two recent identical passport-size photographs of yourself with your full name written on the back of each photograph of her .

As she any convictions you can include taking your beer from you lol

For further information

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/

Patrick when you application is ready do what you did last time pop round to my house I shall go through them with you, a few pints a beer would help me lol

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 10/07/10, 08:19 am

Hi Patrick,

That link is corrupting for some reason. Try this link and select 'Completing form Set (M)' in the top right hand corner.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/applicationtypes/

Apart from the usual, you need to prove you are cohabiting as man and wife, so need the following:
    6 letters and/or other documents addressed to you and your partner at the same address
    as evidence that you have been living together during the past 2 years

aeothoneoeth
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 324
    Where I live : Wolverhampton
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2006-11-15

Post by aeothoneoeth on 10/07/10, 09:01 am

Hi Patrick
    We recently got my wife's ILR
    We sent original marriage books (no translation and no English page) A translation is not asked for.
    We also sent 2 photo's of my wife and 1 of me as asked for on the form with names on reverse.
    Douglas.

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/07/10, 01:50 pm

Yes,it seems straightforward. I'll start collecting letters etc then it should be simple enough. But what about the girl? she will be 19 going on 20 when the time comes she has to apply for ILR on her own (obviously mugsy here will be paying) can you see any problems for her...i.e she is not the wife or civil partner etc of anyone here in the UK and what category are we looking at for her to apply?
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/07/10, 02:05 pm

Mudgy190 wrote:Yes,it seems straightforward. I'll start collecting letters etc then it should be simple enough. But what about the girl? she will be 19 going on 20 when the time comes she has to apply for ILR on her own (obviously mugsy here will be paying) can you see any problems for her...i.e she is not the wife or civil partner etc of anyone here in the UK and what category are we looking at for her to apply?

Check out:

Form SET(F)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/applicationtypes/

You can apply using form SET(F) if you are:

the parent, grandparent or other dependant relative aged 18 or over of a person who is a permanent resident of the UK and currently living here
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 10/07/10, 02:12 pm

You need to use form Set (F) for the daughter.

It's on the same link I posted above.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 10/07/10, 02:13 pm

Ooops. Snap !

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/07/10, 04:32 pm

Form SET(F)

Form SET(F) is for settlement applications by family members (except partners) of British citizens or people who are settled here. You can apply using form SET(F) if you are:

* a child aged under 18 of a parent, parents or a relative who is a permanent resident of the UK and currently living here;
    * the adopted child aged under 18 of a parent or parents who are permanent resident of the UK and currently living here; or
    * the parent, grandparent or other dependant relative aged 18 or over of a person who is a permanent resident of the UK and currently living here.

Thats from the website...She's over 18, so it's either a misprint or there must be another form? or is she classed as dependent?

Post by Guest on 10/07/10, 04:52 pm

When you was in China and you applied for settlement visa your daughter was a dependent on her mother because she was under 18 if she was over 18 at the time she would applied independent as an adult.

Now your daughter is over 18 and in the eyes of the law she is now an adult she applies independently from her mother for her ILR visa yes and double the cost am afraid to say, so she'll need at least six letters or documents to prove she still living with the mother and yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use one form for a joint application by you and any children aged under 18, if they are applying as your dependants. Children over 18 must apply separately, using application form SET(F).

Taken from the UK border website at

(copied this into your browser and paste into your address bar, by clicking on it won't work for some reason )

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/07/10, 05:03 pm

Cheers Robert. Nothing is simple. Never mind she's busy packing her bag for a trip home to nanning tomorrow to see her friends and relatives. Funny now she's upset to be leaving and when she came she was hard work to get her out of her room.

I'll leave things till she gets back, let her enjoy her trip

Post by Guest on 10/07/10, 05:13 pm

Patrick.
    Your daughters is only upsets not that she be missing you because you will not be there to pay for her she be spending her own money lol remember I have a similar one at home as well lol

lol!
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/07/10, 05:25 pm

Mudgy190 wrote:Form SET(F)

Form SET(F) is for settlement applications by family members (except partners) of British citizens or people who are settled here. You can apply using form SET(F) if you are:

other dependant relative aged 18 or over of a person who is a permanent resident of the UK and currently living here.

That is the part you seem not to be reading correctly Mudgy.

It applies to your daughter who is a dependant, is over 18 and lives with you.

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/07/10, 05:43 pm

Robert wrote:Patrick.
    Your daughters is only upsets not that she be missing you because you will not be there to pay for her she be spending her own money lol remember I have a similar one at home as well lol

lol!

lol! Spot on Robert. The little sods got over 1000 in her bank account, courtesey of dear old me. What can you do?

Post by Guest on 10/07/10, 05:48 pm

They could be a problem as in Patrick's case how can you prove that Lily ( Patrick wife) is the mother of the daughter unless on the birth certificate Lily name appears if not and they UK border ask for proof how you do this because in reality she could be anybody's daughter
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/07/10, 06:44 pm

Robert wrote:They could be a problem as in Patrick's case how can you prove that Lily ( Patrick wife) is the mother of the daughter unless on the birth certificate Lily name appears if not and they UK border ask for proof how you do this because in reality she could be anybody's daughter

Robert, Personally I would assume that the evidence they had initially that she was the mother is sufficient. Otherwise, why did they allow the daughter to come in the first place?

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 10/07/10, 07:23 pm

Yes I had her birth certificate translated and also a letter from her father granting his permission for her to leave china with her mother. Don't think thats a problem, but i'll check that as well
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 10/07/10, 11:35 pm

Mudgy190 wrote:Form SET(F)

* a child aged under 18 of a parent, parents or a relative who is a permanent resident of the UK and currently living here;
    * the adopted child aged under 18 of a parent or parents who are permanent resident of the UK and currently living here; or
    * the parent, grandparent or other dependant relative aged 18 or over of a person who is a permanent resident of the UK and currently living here.

Thats from the website...She's over 18, so it's either a misprint or there must be another form? or is she classed as dependent?

She is a dependant of a permanent resident (your wife). Don't confuse it with British citizen (you).
    Your wife supports her daughter, and you support your wife, which translated means you pay the bills.
    The current fee is 840 each, but it will increase in April 2011. It always does !
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 11/07/10, 07:17 am

Any chance that you could include both mother and daughter on the same form and save almost 800???

Post by Guest on 11/07/10, 07:23 am

You can only include the child on the mother's application if the child is under 18 if over 18 you have to make a separate application. The British government knows every trick in the book to get extra money from its citizens. I think next April when visa fees are traditionally increased I think we shall see the biggest increase ever because of the government spending cuts
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 16/07/10, 07:31 am

We saved all letters addressed to Mei at our address, such as doctor's appointments or her bank statements. The Council Tax statements were in joint names. And a variety of utility bills which were just in my name. We also had bank statements for me and each of our payslips for the past 6 months, a copy of my mortgage statement. We didn't think of getting a letter from Mei's employer.
    ESOL SVQ (Scottish Vocational Qualification) certificates for both Mei and her son. There were problems with these as they were issued in their "English" names but the ILR visa application was in the names on their passports which are different. Mei's College course for the ESOL SVQ included "Life in the UK" so we got a letter on headed notepaper from the College stating this. They had done this many times so they knew what was required. Incidentally Mei did not have to wait before starting College and only had to pay a registration fee of 10 as the course fees are free in Scotland and foreigners can start immediately. Richard did the ESOL as part of his school classes.
    We did not have the marriage books translated as I think there is a page in English anyway. We did already have English translations of their birth certificates.
    Photos from the passport photo machine of Mei and Richard. Can't remember if there was one of me.

We sent our three passports.
    Everything arrived with UKBA safely but it might be an idea to arrange to have everything returned to you by Registered Mail as the cost of replacing the documents if they get lost is well over 1000 and takes over 6 months. Remember that Chinese Citizens cannot work in the UK unless they produce their passport with the relevant visa in it to their employer every year so if they lose their passport they are unemployable.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 16/07/10, 11:48 am

davidmckendrick wrote: Mei's College course for the ESOL SVQ included "Life in the UK" so we got a letter on headed notepaper from the College stating this.

Hi David, I'm sorry to correct you but don't you mean the ESOL included 'knowledge of language and life in the UK' which is required for permanent residency. ILR applications.

'Life in the UK' is the test taken for British citizenship.

I wouldn't like new members to get confused. All the terminology takes time to get accustomed to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 07:26 am