Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

UK Citizenship

Post by davidmckendrick on 20/08/10, 10:03 am

My wife has reached the stage of almost being ready to apply for UK Citizenship so she can get a UK Passport and travel the world without applying for visas first!!!
    I read on the UKBA's website that she only has to be resident and married to a UK Citizen for 3 years before applying but she has been asking her Chinese friends who insist that she has to have ILR for 12 months before applying.
    Anybody done this yet who can advise as there 2 months defference between the date at which she has been resident for three years and having ILR for 12 months.
    I already know what it says on the UKBA/Home Office website. What I need is practical experience....
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Re: UK Citizenship

Post by handyal on 20/08/10, 03:41 pm

Is this a change to your plans. I thought you wanted to spend 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Nanning.

Getting UK citizenship will be a disadvantage if this is still the case.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 21/08/10, 04:36 am

Hi Alan,
    I still want to spend 6 months in Nanning and 3 months in the UK but my wife wants to see France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Kenya, USA. I've been to these places before but it would take forever to get visas for her to visit them with a Chinese passport.

I can get visas to visit Nanning for 6 months at a time far more easily than she could get visas to visit these other countries even if my wife is a UK Citizen!!!

Has anyone got a wife who has obtained UK Citizenship and how long did they wait to apply after obtaining ILR????

David
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 08/09/10, 03:37 pm

Thats 15 Countries youve named and thats going to take some time to visit all those.

Have you considered the advantages and disadvantages ?

You will have to continually apply for Visas to China for your wife and if you eventually settle there a 2 year residency permit is your max, so the costs go on and on.
    Will this affect your property purchased in Nanning and it's ownership ?
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 08/09/10, 04:28 pm

Hi Alan,
    We could do France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Spain in one coach tour. If she had a Schengen visa she would still need a new visa for Switzerland which is not in the Schengen agreement. India, Australia and New Zealand we could do in another round trip and we could even go to USA if we make it a round the world trip. South Africa and Kenya are on another trip and could even take in Egypt. I'm not sure how happy the Turks and Greeks are with each other so we might have to make two separate trips for them but include Croatia in one of them.

If I do decide to settle in China permanently I will be allowed to buy property after staying there for a year or two, especially if I deposit a large amount into a bank there. But renting an apartment or staying in hotels wouldn't be a bad idea which would allow the flexibility to move around the country to find an agreeable climate and would be much cheaper than renting or staying in hotels in UK.

It is much easier and cheaper for me to apply for visas to stay in China every year or two than it is for a Chinese Citizen to get visas to visit the countries above.

Now how long would it take for her to get separate visas for each of those countries and how expensive would it be? I would need one single entry visa for China each year which would take less than two weeks to get from my local Chinese Consulate. Eric can't even take his wife for a day trip to France without getting a Schengen visa and travel insurance for her. (You can't get a Schengen visa without proof of Travel Insurance including repatriation costs). With two UK Passports we could decide to go to France today and get the flight in a couple of hours. Our European travel insurance is already covered by our Nationwide bank accounts.

So lets have the details of all the disadvantages of her having a UK Passport????

makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 08/09/10, 05:55 pm

What would her position be if God forbid, you were to die before her? If she wanted to Live in the UK, no problem, but, what if she wanted to rejoin her family?

The disadvantages start after your travels which will be spread over some 3/4 years. The Visa costs will be spread over that time but after then, no further problems if she retains her Chinese citizenship. So, 4 years down the line only you need a visa and she can live in China at any time. This would also make it easier for you to live there? But, if you are both 'British'?

If have advised Han to keep her passport for the foreseable future and will put up with the visa costs which will only be once a year maybe.

The EU travel really annoys me and I will follow that to the High Court if necessary. Pay lot of money and very inconvenient just because the UK Border Control cannot agree with the EU on visa wording, its not on at all.
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 09/09/10, 06:10 am

handyal wrote:Thats 15 Countries youve named and thats going to take some time to visit all those.

Have you considered the advantages and disadvantages ?

You will have to continually apply for Visas to China for your wife and if you eventually settle there a 2 year residency permit is your max, so the costs go on and on.
    Will this affect your property purchased in Nanning and it's ownership ?

Concerning property owned.
    As I understand, unless you have lived in China on a Z or F visa for over 1 year or have the over 5 year permanent resident's permit (very rare), you cannot buy property solely in your own name. Even if you have, you can only buy 1 property which you must reside in. Therefore, I assume, everything must be in your wife's name.

China does not recognise dual nationality. If your wife takes British nationality then does she forfeit all her rights within China as she is no longer classified as a Chinese citizen?

What happens to her rights on any property that she owns?
    Does she transfer it into a member of the family's name?
    Food for thought!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:41 am