Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Travelling in the UK experiences.

Post by makem on 03/09/10, 03:10 pm

Has anyone taken their Lao Po to Northern Ireland, Jersey, Gurnsey or any of the UK islands off the mainland?

Did you encounter any difficulty with visa/passport?

Did you fly or travel by ship?
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Re: Travelling in the UK experiences.

Post by MadGee on 03/09/10, 03:29 pm

Hi Eric,

This link might be useful.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/commontravelarea#13473487

Many 'local' airports run flights to Jersey etc ....but beware .... the planes are normally like 'tut tuts' lol!
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 03/09/10, 05:09 pm

Graham50 wrote:Hi Eric,

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/commontravelarea#13473487

Many 'local' airports run flights to Jersey etc ....but beware .... the planes are normally like 'tut tuts' lol!

Thanks for that link Graham.

I am surprised that it suggests Han can visit Southern Ireland as it is part of the 'Common Travel Area'.

However, it does say 'usually', typical catch-all.

I will phone Jersey as it is a free number for me and see if I can clarify things.

Last edited by makem on 03/09/10, 09:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting the 'Nigel' spelling error ;))
    nigelld7
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 304
    Where I live : Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2009-03-13

Post by nigelld7 on 03/09/10, 07:42 pm

[quote="Graham50"]Hi Eric,

makem wrote:
    Thanks for that link Graham.

I am surprised that it suggests Han can visit Southern Island as it is part of the 'Common Travel Area'.

However, it does say 'usually', typical catch-all.

I will phone Jersey as it is a free number for me and see if I can clarify things.

Hi Eric,
    Please, I don't wish to be pedantic but I think you mean 'Southern Ireland'.
    I say this for the benefit of our country cousins and others who may be a little confused!

Cheers,

Nigel
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 03/09/10, 09:51 pm

nigelld7 wrote:

Hi Eric,
    Please, I don't wish to be pedantic but I think you mean 'Southern Ireland'.

Cheers,

Nigel

You are not being pedantic Nigel. That was an important correction to a spelling error which would as you say, confuse.

TY my friend Smile
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 05/09/10, 11:01 pm

Extract from:

Common Travel Area

Other nationalities

A United Kingdom visa or work permit will not allow a traveller entry to Ireland, nor vice-versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

I emailed the UK Border Control and received the usual email reply 'We will answer your query if the below does not answer it' (list of urls and they never reply).

I emailed the Jersey Border Control and their email said they would reply.

However it looks as though travel by Chinese is restricted in the Common Travel Area, hopefully, only to Ireland.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 06/09/10, 06:56 am

A UK visa should allow Han entry to Northern Ireland as that is part of UK. Since there are no border controls between Northern and Southern Ireland you can just drive over to Southern Ireland. Provided you do not have any encounters with authorities you should not have any problems and even if you did Han should be able to get back into Britain provided you have an ILR visa or Settlement visa.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 06/09/10, 09:01 am

davidmckendrick wrote:A UK visa should allow Han entry to Northern Ireland as that is part of UK. Since there are no border controls between Northern and Southern Ireland you can just drive over to Southern Ireland. Provided you do not have any encounters with authorities you should not have any problems and even if you did Han should be able to get back into Britain provided you have an ILR visa or Settlement visa.

Yes David, I could do that, however, I live in the SE and the normal cheapest arrival port for me is Dublin and then a drive North to friends. I also have relatives in Dublin. The cost of travelling from the UK to Northern Ireland would be similar to the cost of a Schengen Visa and would involve a long drive to the departure port.

Thanks for your suggestion however.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 06/09/10, 09:04 am

makem wrote:Extract from:

Common Travel Area

Other nationalities

A United Kingdom visa or work permit will not allow a traveller entry to Ireland, nor vice-versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

I emailed the UK Border Control and received the usual email reply 'We will answer your query if the below does not answer it' (list of urls and they never reply).

I emailed the Jersey Border Control and their email said they would reply.

However it looks as though travel by Chinese is restricted in the Common Travel Area, hopefully, only to Ireland.

Reply from:

States of Jersey Customs & Immigration Service
    Jersey
    Channel Islands

Providing that your wife is lawfully in the UK and will be travelling within the validity of her immigration permission, she will not require a separate visa to travel to Jersey. As there are no border controls between Jersey and the UK, she will not be required to present yourself to an immigration officer on arrival in the Island.

(I think 'yorself' should read 'herself')

They also say:

In the absence of such documents, it may be prudent for you to carry a letter from the Home Office confirming your residential status in the UK.

It is worth knowing that such a letter is available if your wifes passport happens to be unavailable for some reason when you want to travel.

It goes on to say the taking your passport is however, advisable and that some airlines demand photo ID.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 06/09/10, 10:45 am

A Shengen visa is free if you go straight to the foreign Consulate. Some agencies do charge you for arranging a Schengen visa.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 06/09/10, 03:38 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:A Shengen visa is free if you go straight to the foreign Consulate. Some agencies do charge you for arranging a Schengen visa.

Which Consulate would you suggest David?

French is in France, Belgium is not convenient to travel to cheaply.

From what I understand you must obtain a visa from the Country you first set foot in, or, the Country where you will spend most time. If you are touring the 'most time' will be unknown to some extent. I am not sure how long the visas last but to visit Southern Irelend, get a Schengen Visa and then use it for the Continent? I wonder if this is pssible within a year but more than 6 months.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 06/09/10, 05:43 pm

I got lost there somewhere. Where did the Schengen visa appear? UK and Ireland are not in the Shengen agreement.

http://www.theschengenoffice.com/explained/schengen_visa.html

Each embassy has its own stance on how long a visa will be issued for. Some are issued for the specific dates that you are travelling (usually single entry), others may be multi-entry, some are valid from the day you apply others a valid from date of expected first entry.

Existing Schengen countries are as follows:

Austria
    Germany
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Greece
    Norway
    Denmark
    Iceland
    Portugal
    Finland
    Italy Tourist Visa
    Spain
    France
    Luxembourg
    Sweden
    Czech Republic
    Hungary
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Poland
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 06/09/10, 05:58 pm

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/IMG/pdf_Formulaire_SCH_eng.pdf

French Schengen visa application form. Schengen visas issued from the French Embassy/Consulate to spouses of EU Citizens are free.

Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national. If you do not meet the set criteria, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France and both the spouse’s valid EU passport AND the marriage certificate are requested. However, you may apply for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and provide all requested documents (proof of activity, of financial means of support, of travel and of insurance).

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/-Visa,563-.html
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 06/09/10, 07:10 pm

[quote="davidmckendrick"]

Note as from March 2009, The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding a valid travel document, a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national.
    [quote]

Can you post a link to that info David?

It is only a few months ago I phoned the Border Control at Dover and asked I if could take my Lao Po on a ferry to France for a day trip. I was told that as we had to leave the ship, she would need a Visa.

I thought Southern Ireland was in the EU and therefore Schengen Visas applied.

Cheers
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

"family member of EEA national" = “Spouse/CP of E Watson”?

Post by makem on 06/09/10, 08:04 pm

I have just sent an email to:

Consulat Général de France, Service des Visas, 6A Cromwell Place, P.O. Box 57, London, SW7 2EW

asking if "family member of EEA national" = “Spouse/CP of E Watson” (the endorsement on my Lao Po's visa)

If it does then Very Happy
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 07/09/10, 03:46 am

Hi Eric,
    As you see from the list of Schengen countries, being in the EU does not equate to being in the agreement. UK Nationals are EU/EEA Nationals. Switzerland is also not an Schengen country.

I posted the link but the paragraph is in FAQ's
    http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/FAQs.html

Post by Guest on 07/09/10, 07:43 am

Hi Eric.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, you spent months arranging a visa for your wife to come to UK which was successful and how you want to take your wife overseas to France etc don't think your wife like to see the country what she living in there so many brilliant places to see in the UK Wales Scotland some of the great national park's Lake District the Peak District even on my doorstep the Norfolk Broads the find historical buildings we have they so much to see which will help your wife to understand the British culture. Then again if you're wife and yourself like eating frogs legs France is the best place to go lol
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 07/09/10, 09:40 am

Robert wrote:Hi Eric.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, you spent months arranging a visa for your wife to come to UK which was successful and how you want to take your wife overseas to France etc don't think your wife like to see the country what she living in there so many brilliant places to see in the UK Wales Scotland some of the great national park's Lake District the Peak District even on my doorstep the Norfolk Broads the find historical buildings we have they so much to see which will help your wife to understand the British culture. Then again if you're wife and yourself like eating frogs legs France is the best place to go lol

Well Roboert, my wife has seen most of the places in the UK that you mention. We have had two tours around the UK and only need to visit Cornwall and Scotland to have a very good sample of life here.

I am a person who likes to plan ahead and currently my plans and enquiries are for next year. For me, France is just a day trip by car from my house. I can get to Paris in the time it takes to go to Cornwall.

So, my friend, the near Continent and all of the UK are my wifes playground and we will visit dependant on weather and school holidays Wink
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 07/09/10, 11:52 am

makem wrote:I have just sent an email to:

Consulat Général de France, Service des Visas, 6A Cromwell Place, P.O. Box 57, London, SW7 2EW

asking if "family member of EEA national" = “Spouse/CP of E Watson” (the endorsement on my Lao Po's visa)

If it does then Very Happy

REPLY:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I confirm that, as stated on our website, married spouses and children under the age of 21 or dependant of EU nationals are exempted from obtaining a Schengen visa to travel to France if they hold:
    - a valid passport;
    - a valid UK residence permit issued by the Home Office with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" (art 10 of the European council/parliament directive 2004/38 ce);
    - and if they are joining or travelling with the EU national.

However if they do not satisfy the above conditions, they need to apply for a visa to travel to France (for instance if the UK residency does not state those exact words/ the EU national is not travelling), see http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Family-members-of-an-European.html for procedure and documents required.

Caution:

Caution:

- This exemption does not apply to parents, unmarried partners, civil partners;

- Family members of French Nationals are not included in this legislation and still require visas to travel to France.

Note that the French consulate will not comment on individual cases.

Regards,

VS

Therefore unles your wife has the EXACT wording on her visa she needs a Schengen Visa.

Now, where in the world can we get that exact wording put on the visa?

The passport office cannot do it. When you email the Boder Agency, they reply with a standard email that takes you nowhere.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 07/09/10, 02:22 pm

So you do have to get a Schengen visa for your wife to nip over to France with you. Or as my wife intends to do, get her a UK Passport after being married to a UK Citizen for three years and living in the UK for 9 of the last 12 months.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 07/09/10, 04:33 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:So you do have to get a Schengen visa for your wife to nip over to France with you. Or as my wife intends to do, get her a UK Passport after being married to a UK Citizen for three years and living in the UK for 9 of the last 12 months.

Well. it would appear so but it is unfair.

Residents of the EU can flock here in their droves with little cost but we must pay for Schengen Visas every time we visit the EU.

So, I have written a letter of complaint to the Border Agency Complaints Dept.

I stated that their visa wording does not appear to comply with Article 10 of the European council/parliament directive 2004/38 ce, in that it precludes the Spouse/CP of a UK Citizen from execising their right to travel with their spouse, in the EU Countries without obtaining a Visa.

I asked where and how to obtain the correct wording in hindsight and attached the email from the French Embassy.

Maybe the French & British will be at war again lol

(Just been told my mind is in the forum and not with Lao Po's baking so I must leave)

Post by Guest on 07/09/10, 05:36 pm

Hi Eric.

Writing to the UK Border Agency I don't think you'll get reply you're hoping for, in the last 12 months I am convinced with various members problems with embassies and UK Border Agency they just don't give a damn .

If you really want to make waves and give these officials at the border agency a real kick up the backside you be far better writing to your MP asked him to ask the Minister of immigration which is Mr Green about your problem you most probably receives long-winded explanation but just keep writing make a bloody nuisance of yourself then you may receive a satisfactory answer.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 07/09/10, 06:30 pm

Robert wrote:Hi Eric.

Writing to the UK Border Agency I don't think you'll get reply you're hoping for, in the last 12 months I am convinced with various members problems with embassies and UK Border Agency they just don't give a damn .

If you really want to make waves and give these officials at the border agency a real kick up the backside you be far better writing to your MP asked him to ask the Minister of immigration which is Mr Green about your problem you most probably receives long-winded explanation but just keep writing make a bloody nuisance of yourself then you may receive a satisfactory answer.

Yes, agreed, but first I must give them an opportunity to answer my complaint.

Let me know when you want to have a pop at me Wink
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 08/09/10, 03:02 pm

You could ask your MP to raise your complaint against the UKBA with the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Maybe if UKBA get enough hassle from the Ombudsman they might consider complying with the EU directive. They can ignore you but they have to reply to the Ombudsman and comply with their instructions.

David
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 08/09/10, 06:05 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:You could ask your MP to raise your complaint against the UKBA with the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Maybe if UKBA get enough hassle from the Ombudsman they might consider complying with the EU directive. They can ignore you but they have to reply to the Ombudsman and comply with their instructions.

David

Yes David. I have no intention of visiting the EU this year so have plenty of time to follow up all avenues. I have given them their chance, lets see what they make of it. They cannot ignore me as they have a system for dealing with complaints.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/enquiries/complaints

I am complaining about the Beijing Embassy as Han's visa was issued there. Maybe they will tell me to return it to them for changes? If that is the case then they will pay!

snip>
    If you can show that you have suffered financial loss as a direct result of an error we have made, you may be able to claim reimbursement of the costs you have incurred. We will only consider reimbursing you for these costs if they were reasonable, unavoidable and a direct consequence of our actions - and you will need to provide evidence such as original receipts.
    snip>

Does this apply in your missing passport case? I would think it does if the Agency are found guilty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:56 am