Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Family Visitor Visa

Post by makem on 01/12/10, 04:56 pm

My stepson (22) wants to visit us for 2 months next year.

Can anyone who has been involved in obtaining a Visitor Visa add anything to the information given on the Visa web pages?

In particular, I am concerned about financial information being sent to China if necessary.

The boy will pay for his own flight but I will provide everything whilst he is here, food, accododation, travel etc.

Do you have to prove once again your income? For my wife visitor visa they allowed electronic pdf pages of bank statements to be sent. Also I prepared pdf documents relating to other finance and sent those. All went direct to the UK Embassy in Beijing.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Re: Family Visitor Visa

Post by Beijing2008 on 01/12/10, 06:12 pm

Eric, I think most important will be ;
    ,your letter of invitation, in which you point out, that he pays for the ticket himself[ incl travel insurance], and that your wife [ his mother] and you wil provide the costs of living.
    that he proofs he needs to go back to China,
    to work or study.
    Or looking after other familymembers, like grandparents.
    If he's studying, copy of his uni-registrationcard, or
    letter of his employer that he is granted a non-paid holiday for 2 months , and starts working afterwards.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1795
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 01/12/10, 06:30 pm

Hi Eric.

One of the main things he must show is that he is highly likely to return to China after his visit and not remain in Britain. Things like showing your stepson is settled in China, for example he has a job in China and gets a letter from his employer stating it is permanent employment. You should supply a letter of invitation stating where he will be staying and that you will sponsor him and underwrite his expenses. He must submit details of your financial ability to do this. He will need to go to one of the Visa Application Centres to get the biometrics done. Having a return air ticket is useful but the Consulate recommend you do not buy a ticket before you get a visa issued.

It was easy for my wife to get a Family visitor visa because she demonstrated that she had no reason to remain in the UK as she
    has a dependant daughter in Nanning and money and property in China, and both of us reside in Nanning. Even so, we provided a great amount of documentation to support her application.

Graham
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 01/12/10, 07:25 pm

Thanks both, those things you mention are already covered.

He has a job, just been promoted, drives for company when necessary, translates when necessary, travels with boss when necessary. Has a Houku to show he has a house. Has bank accounts and will get all necessary documents from employer, bank and an invitation from me.

Please bear in mind my wife had a visitor visa before we married in China so we are aware of most things. For this visa I was allowed to send electronic finance information.

It is mainly my evidence I am concerned about and any changes that others have experienced in the last 2 years. I don't really want the son to know all my finance details if avoidable.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 01/12/10, 08:01 pm

Your financial info you can send by fax or email to the embassy.Inquire at the embassy whom to send it to.So no other personnel needs to see it.Of course you can add a letter stating the reasons to invite him.And the info about his job. Good luck.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 01/12/10, 09:07 pm

Hi Eric,

Don't forget proof of family ties.
    Copies of your passport.
    Hans passport.
    Marriage Books.
    Proof that Han is Mother and/or he is son. (Birth certificate, Hukou?)

You wouldn't have needed that proof for a Visitor Visa. Wink
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 01/12/10, 09:47 pm

handyal wrote:Hi Eric,

Don't forget proof of family ties.
    Copies of your passport.
    Hans passport.
    Marriage Books.
    Proof that Han is Mother and/or he is son. (Birth certificate, Hukou?)

You wouldn't have needed that proof for a Visitor Visa. Wink

You think we must send original marriage book? Sureley not when we have a visa saying she is my spouse and that is on record.

Passport copies I can understand, birth certificate, Hukou, yes but that is all to prove relationship.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1795
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 02/12/10, 05:30 am

makem wrote:

You think we must send original marriage book? Surely not when we have a visa saying she is my spouse and that is on record.

Passport copies I can understand, birth certificate, Hukou, yes but that is all to prove relationship.

When my wife applied for the family visa she had to prove she was married to me and thus her relationship to the family members we intended visiting. I think your stepson must only prove his relationship to his mother. Having said that, you are acting as his sponsor, and showing you are married to his mother highlights the reason for your sponsorship. It is a long journey to the VAC only to find out that you've omitted something, so we adopted a belts and braces approach and went for overkill on the documentation. We took along even remotely relevant documents and the visa officer sorted out what was necessary and immediately returned anything that wasn't required. I have nothing but praise for the professionalism and assistance that we received at Guangzhou VAC.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 02/12/10, 09:49 am

chinatyke wrote:
    We took along even remotely relevant documents and the visa officer sorted out what was necessary and immediately returned anything that wasn't required.

Yes thats fine if you are going personally and taking documents. In our case I wanted to get the visa some 4 months earlier than his proposed trip in May 2010. That would help get a reduced flight ticket.

We are going to China in April and could meet up with the son in Beijing and take all documents as you did but the flight cost would be much more only 30 days before he travels. Also if he applies in April then he would be coming to the UK right in the middle of the 'high season' here if he left it until 4 months later.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 02/12/10, 04:46 pm

Hi Eric,

Do not presume or assume that what may seem the obvious to you is obvious to an Immigration Officer. They assume nothing, you have to prove everything.

Hans son is coming to see his Mother and she will be the only family he has in the UK unless you prove otherwise.

Han is on a temporary Visa as the wife of a UK citizen so that makes you family as well. Proof of marriage and proof you are still living together will strengthen the family visit.

Also as the sponsor your Passport photo ID will match the Photo ID in your marriage books. They wont assume you are still living together, you must prove it.

If you are supporting his stay with you in the UK then you must also prove your accommodation is suitable and will not cause overcrowding.

Read the relevant Immigration Rules.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part2/

Some other light reading.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/supportingdocsvisituk
    Guide to supporting Documents.

http://www.vfs-uk-cn.com/images/Checklist%20for%20Family%20Visit%20Applications.pdf
    Checklist for Family Visit Applications

1. Completed and signed VAF.

2. Correct fee.

3. Appropriate recent photo attached securely to the front top right hand corner of the VAF.

4. Letter from sponsor.

5. Evidence of sponsors immigration status in the UK.

6. Evidence of how the trip will be funded e.g. Bank Deposit Certificates/ Bank Books/ Bank Slips.

7. Evidence of applicants employment/ studies and leave.

8. Family book.

9. History/source of funds dating back at least 6 months.

10. Detailed travel itinerary.

11. Evidence of any sources of income. e.g. wage slips, share dividends, pensions etc.

12. Details of any hotel and flight bookings already made.

13. Evidence of immigration status in China if NOT a Chinese national. e.g Chinese visa.

14. Any previous passports you still have.

15. Evidence of marital status e.g. marriage or civil partnership certificates, divorce certs (unless single).

16. Details of any criminal convictions in this country or elsewhere.

17. Any other documentation you consider relevant to your application.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/vafsdocschecklist/
    We strongly recommend that you do not buy a non-refundable ticket or confirm travel arrangements to come to the UK, until your visa application has been approved and you have received your visa.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/VAFguidancenotesvisitors
    Part 11. Supporting documents checklist

Please ensure you submit all the relevant original documents that you want the Entry Clearance Officer to see when considering your application. The list below is for guidance only. It is not a list of documents that you should or must supply.

The UK Immigration Rules make it clear that it is your responsibility to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that you are genuinely seeking entry to the UK for the purpose and duration that you have stated.

Submission of particular documents does not guarantee that your visa will be issued.

It is your decision how you satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that your intentions are as you state in your application. It is your choice which documents you submit.

I also seem to recall that a Visa is only valid for 3 months for entry to the UK from the date of issue. Why not ask for a post dated Visa?
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 02/12/10, 10:46 pm

handyal wrote:Hi Eric,

I also seem to recall that a Visa is only valid for 3 months for entry to the UK from the date of issue. Why not ask for a post dated Visa?

A Visitor Visa is valid for 6 months.
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#163704682
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 02/12/10, 11:12 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:

A Visitor Visa is valid for 6 months.
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#163704682

Yes, thanks, I was aware of that. Although the Family Visitor application form has boxes for 6 months to 10 years.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 02/12/10, 11:35 pm

Hi David,
    Thanks. A Visitor visa is valid for 6 months from the valid entry date, the expiry date being the last day you can remain in the UK.
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/generalvisainfo/afterigetmyvisa#20768202

Visitor Visas cannot be post dated as I previously suggested.
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes
    You can apply for your visa within three months of your intended date of travel. We are only able to post-date visas by a maximum of three months from the date of the decision on your visa application. This does not apply to visit visas which we cannot post-date. You can enter the UK anytime after your visa issue date but not before.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 02/12/10, 11:44 pm

Hi Eric,
    6 months to 10 years is the validity of the Visa, not the length of stay.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors
    A general visit, business, entertainer or sports visit visa may be valid for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. However, you are still only entitled to stay in the UK for a maximum of 180 days (6 months). A 2 year visit visa does not mean you are entitled to stay in the UK for 2 years, for example. We recommend that you limit your stay to the period stated on your visa application or to a maximum of 180 days within a 12 month period. Lengthy periods spent in the UK as a visitor may cause an immigration or visa officer to doubt your intentions. If you breach the conditions attached to your entry to the UK, you face a future ban of up to 10 years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:40 am