Nanning and China Information Forum

Information for the UK, , about Nanning and China

help with marriage in naning please

Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Re: help with marriage in naning please

Post by Chris Seaborn on 20/12/10, 08:05 am

Yes,I would advise to have your documents translated in the city where you are to be married. I had mine translated in Nanning, but was to be married in Guilin,Ying's home city, on our marriage day my translated documents were not accepted, even with the red stamps...reason, they couldn't be sure that the Nanning translations were correct!!! We had a lot of rushing around and had to pay a premium price to have them done while we waited! All part of the experience.LOL.

Chris
    nigelld7
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 304
    Where I live : Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2009-03-13

Post by nigelld7 on 20/12/10, 03:42 pm

Hi Paul,

Handyal has mentioned the 3 x photographs needed to hand in to the Marriage Bureau in Nanning
    with your documents.
    I would suggest you get these done in Nanning. They must have a red background and are of head and shoulders side by side of you and your intended. The ''walk in - snap - wait a Chinese minute'' studios are plentiful here and are very familiar with the required size etc.. The Marriage Bureau will stick one in each of your red marriage books and keep one for their records.

At least, that's what happened to me!

Good Luck for the future,

Nigel
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 05:17 pm

dafu wrote:A Canadian friend recently married his lady in Nanning. He used a Chinese notary/lawyer in Toronto to prepare his CNI which was written in Chinese and English. It was then stamped by the Canadian equivalent of the FCO and taken to the Chinese embassy for verification. He had no problem at the Nanning civil affairs bureau.

Your friend was very fortunate to find a Chinese Notary in Canada.
    A CNI written in Chinese and legalised by the FCO and the CE saves getting a translation of the CNI. However if the Chinese Civil Affairs office insisted that CNI's were written in Chinese, we would have a hell of a job finding a Chinese Notary to produce it in the UK.

The CNI itself once legalised is good to be accepted in any province of China, however it needs to be translated only so the marriage registrar can read whats on the English written document. If married in China why should we expect them to read English ?

paulnottingham

Male
    Number of posts : 77
    Where I live : Nottingham England
    I have visited China : 1 time
    Registration date : 2010-12-15

Post by paulnottingham on 20/12/10, 06:24 pm

How would I get a CNI from the consulate then... does it take 21 days like in England?

Also I had my appointment today and they said they had to put an address on the CNI - I got them to put Nanning City, Guangxi province, china... will that be ok?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 07:15 pm

Rather harsh! Who said anyone was lying!

Dafu's friend produced the ideal CNI. Written in both Chinese and English then legalised.

Whether you are fortunate enough to have access to a Chinese notary in your own Country is another matter.
    Producing a CNI in the Country of your origin and then getting an authorised translation into Chinese is the same end result.
    It is the wording of the CNI that is of paramount importance these days.

There isn't one rule for Australians and another for English. If you marry in China any nationality must marry according to the Chinese Laws of marriage. Any nationality can follow our guide for marriage and be successful.
    The Chinese Emassy produce guidance on national requirements for marriage in China. These are global requirements but provinces have the right to disclude certain requirements and this causes the confusion.

Earlier this year I spent quite some time at the Civil Affairs office in Nanning clarifying the requirements for Nanning and Guangxi.
    I also spent time at the Chinese Consulate in Manchester and speaking to the Chinese Embassy in London on the same matter.

Suprisingly in Nanning the CA office had no idea of the requirements that the Chinese Embassy had on their website.
    The young ladies comments at first were that they were wrong.
    After a couple of telephone calls she understood.

I also understand because I have taken the time to clarify some details that previously caused confusion.

Why your CNI was refused was I suspect because there was an omission in the wording.

A CNI can be produced in one of two ways.
    1. At the Embassy of one's Country situated in China. (This takes time and unless you are China for at least one month it isn't practical to do it by this method. Costly and time consuming.)
    2. By a Notary in your own Country then legalised before taking it to China for translation. (Translating in your own Country could be expensive and will not be accepted if it has one mistake. For this reason we recommend you use one of the translators recognised and approved by the CA office in Nanning.)

Read the information we already post on this link:
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1896-uk-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen

Then read the national requirement for marriage in China as posted by the Chinese Embassy:
    http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/lsyw/gzhfl/lg/t624435.htm

The only thing we cannot anticipate is if the local province makes a change to their requirements from the national requirements.
    In our draft CNI we cover the national requirements so irrispective of the province the CNI should be accepted.

We have assisted over 60 members through the marriage procedure in the last few years.
    To my knowledge only one who followed our advice was refused.
    The reason: His CNI wasn't worded correctly. His notary changed our draft copy!

I will explain a little more in depth about the requirements and documents if you are sufficiently interested.

I have given personal and extra advice to those members who have been unclear of the requirements even after reading our information links. The latest member was 'luckysteve'. He married in Lizhou, Guangxi province without any hitches whatsoever.

Sorry no pun intended (hitches) Very Happy

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 20/12/10, 07:21 pm

can i just clarify my cni is being produced by the registry office... will this be ok?

also the address as I questioned before is that sufficient to fulfill requirements in china?

http://ukinchina.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-china/how-register-marriage confirms it will take 21 days to get a cni in china

Last edited by paulnottingham on 20/12/10, 07:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 07:27 pm

Dieselrat wrote:Paul
    As you understand I'm not a UK subject.My recommendation is ...Bring your CNI you have prepared in the UK..see the Consulate in Guangzhou to have another one based on what you give them..then hurry to Nanning and have it translated once again here....I have now given you the foolproof solution..If others say differently it's your choice and their recommendation.

Kent

Oooooh! And are you going to pay his 300 round trips to Guangzhou when it isn't required ?
    You also fail to advise that he will have to wait the required 21 days for Guangzhou to issue a CNI.
    Now how long is he staying in China.
    If CNI's had to be produced through the Embassies of the Countries resident in China, then all visitors would have to stay for at least 1 month. scratch It's not rocket science Idea

Read the information links already in place, practiced, and proved by many members including myself.

It's not often your right Kent, but this time your dead wrong ! Very Happy
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 07:39 pm

paulnottingham wrote:can i just clarify my cni is being produced by the registry office... will this be ok?

also the address as I questioned before is that sufficient to fulfill requirements in china?

Hi Paul.
    Your CNI produced through the registrar should bear your girlfriends name and address as it appears on her Hukou.
    Just check her Hukou is up-to-date ?

Get it translated in Nanning at one of the offices we recommended.
    Get 3 x Photos, head and shoulders, together, red background 4.5cm x 3.5cm.

Take your CNI, the translation, 3 photo's, her ID card and Hukou to the Civil Affairs office and enjoy your marriage !
    (Photocopies can be taken their. 1 RMB a copy). Take 2 photocopies of each, 1 for your own file.

P.S. I sent you a PM yesterday ?

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 20/12/10, 07:44 pm

handyal wrote:
    paulnottingham wrote:can i just clarify my cni is being produced by the registry office... will this be ok?

Hi Paul.
    Your CNI produced through the registrar should bear your girlfriends name and address as it appears on her Hukou.

Take your CNI, the translation, 3 photo's, her ID card and Hukou to the Civil Affairs office and enjoy your marriage !
    (Photocopies can be taken their. 1 RMB a copy). Take 2 photocopies of each, 1 for your own file.

oh s++t it has her uk address on it not her chinese one... is this a problem?... i suspect it is right?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 07:48 pm

Dieselrat wrote:It's not often your right Kent, but this time your dead wrong !
    Now that was funny.I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong..but NEVER Am

That was a joke Kent. Very Happy I'm man enough to admit when your wrong affraid

You do raise a very interesting debate though, although your timing is confusing Paul.
    The national marriage laws, and those of the local provinces, do, and will continue to cause confusion.

I will continue with some more explanations of the acceptable requirements if your interested?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 07:54 pm

paulnottingham wrote:
    handyal wrote:

Hi Paul.

oh s++t it has her uk address on it not her chinese one... is this a problem?... i suspect it is right?

Now that is a problem!
    I can't understand why she has changed her address in her Hukou? A single girl would usually have her family address in her Hukou?
    Do her family still reside in Nanning?
    The Hukou must have a Nanning address to be accepted at the Nanning Civil Affairs office.

One option is to change it back to her family address in Nanning but that could take a few days to make the changes.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 20/12/10, 07:56 pm

handyal wrote:
    paulnottingham wrote:
    handyal wrote:

Hi Paul.

Now that is a problem!
    I can't understand why she has changed her address in her Hukou? A single girl would usually have her family address in her Hukou?
    Do her family still reside in Nanning?
    The Hukou must have a Nanning address to be accepted at the Nanning Civil Affairs office.

One option is to change it back to her family address in Nanning but that could take a few days to make the changes.

no the hukou says nanning...

but i gave the registrar the uk address mingming live at... because thats what the uk registrar asked for...

can i change it now... i guess not... oh s**t

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 20/12/10, 08:04 pm

Dieselrat wrote:Paul
    Please relax now..Your girlfriend has Hukou here in Nanning..You don't need a S**t more than your CNI..Come here and enjoy your marriage

Kent

handyal wrote:

Hi Paul.

confused????....

i gave her english address when applying for the cni... her hukou says nanning... is this a problem or not?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 08:20 pm

Never been tried before.

It doesn't take much for a Chinese official to refuse something that isn't spot on.

Do you want to chance it?

My advice get the address on your CNI changed to the address on her Hukou.

Unless you explained everything to the registrar they may have thought you were getting married in the UK.

Those members who have previously been single and accquiered their CNI through the registrar have always used the Chinese womans address because they were in China.
    Your girlfriend isn't a UK citizen, nor a permanent resident, she is on a student visa.
    Where is home...............China.

Paul I would check with the registrar first thing in the morning to see if the changes are possible, then report back to the forum.
    There is another option, but lets not jump the gun.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 08:24 pm

Dieselrat wrote:I swear here and now I am not Married..that'll do

Your Hukou must be registered in the province in which you marry.
    You must know that Kent.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/12/10, 08:32 pm

Pauls CNI isn't a sworn statement. It's a certificate issued by the registrars office which confirms he has never married. They check from their record database.

It takes the similar form of a birth certificate with columns of information that must have the details completed.
    One of those columns is the address of his intended wife.
    So Hukou with Chinese address, CNI with English address - confusion already!

Only a notary produces a CNI by a sworn statement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 08:31 am