paulnottingham

Male
    Number of posts : 77
    Where I live : Nottingham England
    I have visited China : 1 time
    Registration date : 2010-12-15

Re: help with marriage in naning please

Post by paulnottingham on 20/01/11, 01:03 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:1. I arrived in NanNing on Friday night at 11pm. We got the photos and translations on Saturday and Sunday and got married on Monday morning.
    2. Your Marriage books are a legal document. They do not need to be legalised again for any reason whatsoever.
    3. The marriage books are in Chinese and English but you can get a separate copy in English if you like. When you get the copy you do not need to have it legalised.
    Your marriage in China is recognised throughout the world just as a marriage in UK would be recognised elsewhere.

how do i get the marriage book in english as well?

and how long does this take? - I was told this takes 15 days from the ciovil affairs with no express service and we wont be in china for that long.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 20/01/11, 01:13 pm

handyal wrote:
    paulnottingham wrote:

[/color]3.Do we need to get the certificate translated into english after we have it - if so should this happen before or after the legalisation process (if this is required)
    You can ask the marriage office (Civil Affairs Dept) for an English certificate. It takes a couple of days to produce and a small fee.
    It does not need legalising.

Civil affairs told ming ming this would take 15 days with no express service

Who can we talk to there about how to do it in a few days?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Paul

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 20/01/11, 01:51 pm

handyal wrote:
    paulnottingham wrote:they will let me change the address
    Good thats all you need to do

though I am considering getting a notary version as well... though its a few hundred pounds more its back up and peace of mind...
    Not required and a total waste of time and money in your situation. The UK Registrars is a government department. Once you have your certificate notorised by FCO and CE it is valid for marriage in China.

Now one think I am having trouble finding out is when the civil affaris marriage place is open over chinese new year...
    So is everbody else. The Chinese close and open at wim during holiday times. You can probably gaurantee closer from 2nd - 6th.

I would like to at least catch a few days around Chinese New year so we now have the choice of going before or after... this will largley be dictated by the opening hours... for example will it be shut the week before... after or both (or neither?) mingming phoned them but they told her they dont know what dates they will be open yet... and we need to book flights soonish...

finally with regards to the translations and photos:
    1.Is it realistic to get this done in two working days when we arrive in nanning?...
    Translations normally only take 24 hours, but during holiday periods a backlog can develop.
    2.Do we have to get the marriage certificate legalised (like i did with my cni)
    No, a marriage certificate/book is a legal document accepted in China and the UK.
    3.Do we need to get the certificate translated into english after we have it - if so should this happen before or after the legalisation process (if this is required)
    You can ask the marriage office (Civil Affairs Dept) for an English certificate. It takes a couple of days to produce and a small fee.
    It does not need legalising.

Paul you are panicking. Once you have followed the procedure you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

In the UK you will receive your CNI from the registrar. This must then be legalised by FCO and CE in the UK.

Take this CNI, it's Chinese translation, your passport and 3 x photos (4.5 x 3.5cms), plus mingmings ID card, Hukou and passport to the marriage registry office in Nanning. Don't forget mingming in the confusion affraid
    If you haven't already taken photocopies you can take them there.

There is no formal ceremony. The registrar will check all the documents, print two red books, affix the photo's and hand you one book each. That's it - your married. cheers Takes 20 minutes, while you sit down, no balloons or streamers.

You are not the first single person we have taken through the marriage process, most of us are happy at home with our Chinese wives whether in China, the UK, or elsewhere. We've already been there, done it and got the t-shirt.

Regarding point 3

The Civil affairs office told ming ming this would take 15 days and there was no express service

is this right?

Or is there any body there we could contact to find out how to get theis done in a few days?
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 20/01/11, 03:34 pm

Hi nervous wreck Paul;

1.how do i get the marriage book in english as well?

and how long does this take? - I was told this takes 15 days from the ciovil affairs with no express service and we wont be in china for that long.

answer; each of you get a red marriage book, your wife in Chinese, you in English.In the marriage books are the pics of both of you.
    =Regarding point 3

The Civil affairs office told ming ming this would take 15 days and there was no express service

is this right?

Or is there any body there we could contact to find out how to get theis done in a few days?=
    answer, We had a Chinese and English Notarial certificate legalised, with same pics as the marriage books.Was ready in 3 days,by the Notary Public Office, they also have a translator [and a lovely one...]
    I don't know if it still exists, we were at an old building, near a street market.
    I know as said that the Marriage books are legal proof of marriage, but we were translating and legalising a lot, so that one was just one more.
    Because Dutch Government states on the Embassy info' marriage certificate; translated and legalised by Notary Public , MFA and Dutch Embassy'[yep, crazy, but what if you don't do....]

Don't expect anything of the marriage 'ceremony', is just checking the documents, after signing a speech on behalve of the PRC,in total about 15-20 minutes, after waiting in the hallway for about an hour or so.
    And DON'T come in marriage dress up.....
    THAT is meant for the party.....
    For your marriage pics; the photographer right next to the entry of the Etnic Museum [ with the BIG green Chinese pot, corner of MinzuLu], is very good.
    Will take half a day dressing, undressing, make-up, hairstyling etc times 3 or 4.
    cheers
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 20/01/11, 08:35 pm

Hi Paul,
    I posted the addresses of reliable qualified translators on post 23.

Use one of these offices to get your CNI translated into English for your marriage, then after your marriage use the same office to translate your marriage books.
    The Government Foriegn Affairs Office. 14 Minzhu Lu, Nanning. Guangxi.
    or
    American Translation Company. 3rd floor, Xianglong Building, 31 Yuanhu Rd, Nanning. Guangxi. Tel 0771 2268002 / 13152663819 Fax 0771 2262039

Your translation will be stamped with their authentification, proof of qualified and genuine translation.

A typical translation should cost between 100 - 120RMB (10 - 12).

Don't confuse the Government Foreign Affairs office with the Civil Affairs Office. The Civil Affairs Office is where you get married.

You will receive your red marriage books immediately after your marriage.
    Take these books to one of the qualified translators posted above. They will produce a translated Marriage Certificate in English.
    The translation will bear their official stamp, bearing their name and wording to the effect that the translation is a complete and accurate translation, bearing their seal.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 22/01/11, 11:24 pm

OK

flights are now booked.

Does this sound like a realistic timetable?

Arrive thursday evening,
    Get CNI translated on Friday
    Get Photos done on Saturday
    Get Married on Monday (valentines day)
    Get Marriage certoficate translated tuesday / wednesday?

does that sound do-able?
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 23/01/11, 12:40 am

Hi Paul,

I'd give the translation a bit more time, they work office hours so don't expect them to do it over the weekend unless you're prepared to pay extra.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 10:36 am

MadGee wrote:Hi Paul,

I'd give the translation a bit more time, they work office hours so don't expect them to do it over the weekend unless you're prepared to pay extra.

yes we are happy to pay extra and would turn up when the offices opened to give them as much working time each day as possible.

how long does it take to get the marriage certificate from civil affairs? - is that the same day?
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by MadGee on 23/01/11, 10:42 am

Do you mean the Govt Foreign Affairs Office?

To my knowledge, they take longer and don't do same day service but I could be wrong!

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 10:51 am

MadGee wrote:Do you mean the Govt Foreign Affairs Office?

To my knowledge, they take longer and don't do same day service but I could be wrong!

mingming said she spoke to two people who sais it would be issued the same day?

im worried now that she has spoken to the wrong people

whats the name / number of the correct ofice to confirm things with?
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by MadGee on 23/01/11, 11:11 am

Sorry I mis-understood you about offices.

You will receive your marriage books instantly, as soon as you're married! No waiting.

If you want a marriage certificate in English from Civil Affairs it will probably take a few days, I don't know!

Surely getting your marriage books offically translated will do the same as an English marriage certificate?

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 11:21 am

MadGee wrote:Sorry I mis-understood you about offices.

You will receive your marriage books instantly, as soon as you're married! No waiting.

If you want a marriage certificate in English from Civil Affairs it will probably take a few days, I don't know!

Surely getting your marriage books offically translated will do the same as an English marriage certificate?

yes because mingming is legally ok to be in the uk as a student we are transfering her status to spouce when back in the uk

we need to provide a "reliable" translation.

The civil affairs told us 15 days to get an english copy - hence my plan was now to take the marriage books to a translation company and get them translated.

The American Translation company has been recomended a few times on here - however mingming says when she spoke with civil affairs they only reccomended 2 translation companies (so will they accept my cni translated by the american translation company - from what people say on here it sounds like they should?)

so the plan is to get the marriage certificate in chinese and the get that translated the next day - it does not need to be legalised or notarised I believe as it is a legal document in the uk.

And whilst it might be something that if we had enough time would be nice to do I simply dont think on this trip we can do that.

Regards

Paul
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 23/01/11, 11:45 am

I'm afraid you won't manage in the time schedule you have, you will have to take more time, or risk a nervous breakdown.And for marriage you have to make an appointment, as far as I know.
    I don't think you'll be the only one who picks Valentine's day. We did also in 2006 Very Happy
    You missed the point about marriage BOOK,[which IS the marriage certificate] yours will be in English, and acoording to UK members it doesn't need to be legalised.
    As I told you, to be sure we had it translated and legalised by the Notary Public Office, next day pick up.And after that legalisation MFA and Dutch consulate.
    But since the experience of UK members is, that the RedBook is accepted by UK Government, don't make more steps than needed.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 12:15 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:I'm afraid you won't manage in the time schedule you have, you will have to take more time, or risk a nervous breakdown.And for marriage you have to make an appointment, as far as I know.
    I don't think you'll be the only one who picks Valentine's day. We did also in 2006 Very Happy
    You missed the point about marriage BOOK,[which IS the marriage certificate] yours will be in English, and acoording to UK members it doesn't need to be legalised.
    As I told you, to be sure we had it translated and legalised by the Notary Public Office, next day pick up.And after that legalisation MFA and Dutch consulate.
    But since the experience of UK members is, that the RedBook is accepted by UK Government, don't make more steps than needed.

well getting the cni translated before monday seems do-able from the translation companies we have spoke to - also the photos seems fine

as for monday we are happy to get there ar 6am to be the 1st in the queue so to speak.

we then get the marriage certificate/ book the same day in Chinese.

this can again be translated in 1 day be a "reliable" translation company.(again 1 day seems sufficient from conversations)

we do not need it to be translated by the civil affairs - we do not need it legalised or notarised.

so the timescale does seem do-able to me?

As mingming is already in the uk we simply need to transfer status over when we attend our ukba interview at which we have to show the chinese certifucate accompanied by a "reliable" translation.

when we have spoken to the civil affairs office they say that they dont book appointments

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 23/01/11, 12:17 pm

paulnottingham wrote:how long does it take to get the marriage certificate from civil affairs? - is that the same day?

Hi Paul,
    You don't get a marriage certificate from the Civil Affairs as we think of a 'certificate'.
    You get two red marriage books. (Issued immediately after your marriage).
    These can then be translated into English. The translation takes the form of an A4 sheet of paper, titled 'Marriage Certificate'
    It is not a columned 'certificate' with individual details as you would receive in the UK.

Any documents or translations you receive in China are as they produce them, not as they would be produced in the UK.
    They are accepted in the UK.

Your wife's name will remain the same on the translation. In Chinese marriage the woman does not take the man's family name, she keeps her family name. As Robert posted on another post keep her name as it is on her ID and passport.

At the best of times translations handed in one day can be collected the next day. Money does talk though and many services can be quickened for a different fee.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 12:36 pm

handyal wrote:
    paulnottingham wrote:how long does it take to get the marriage certificate from civil affairs? - is that the same day?

Hi Paul,
    You don't get a marriage certificate from the Civil Affairs as we think of a 'certificate'.
    You get two red marriage books. (Issued immediately after your marriage).
    These can then be translated into English. The translation takes the form of an A4 sheet of paper, titled 'Marriage Certificate'
    It is not a columned 'certificate' with individual details as you would receive in the UK.

Any documents or translations you receive in China are as they produce them, not as they would be produced in the UK.
    They are accepted in the UK.

Your wife's name will remain the same on the translation. In Chinese marriage the woman does not take the man's family name, she keeps her family name. As Robert posted on another post keep her name as it is on her ID and passport.

At the best of times translations handed in one day can be collected the next day. Money does talk though and many services can be quickened for a different fee.

thanks.

am I right in thinking that we cant book an appointment with civil affairs either

We just have to turn up on the day.

As we would like to get married on valenines is it advisable to turn up there early - say 7-8am if they open at 9?

do civil affairs produce the english translation - or am i better off just taking it to a translation company in order to get a quicker service?

Regards

Paul

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 12:48 pm

Just a thouht but to speed up translation of the CNI - could I email / fax a copy to them before hand so we can collect it when we arrive?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 23/01/11, 12:58 pm

Hi Paul,
    Just turn up they don't make appointments. It's a first come, firsted served basis.
    The civil affairs office is only for foreigners who are marrying a Chinese citizen, not for Chinese - Chinese marriages.
    Usually there are only anything from 2 - 6 marriages a day at this office and the procedure is only 15 - 20 minutes long.

It is quicker to get your marriage books translated at either the Foreign Affairs office or American Translations.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 23/01/11, 01:10 pm

IS the FCAO still at the 8th floor of a luxury Hotel. Question

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 01:16 pm

handyal wrote:Hi Paul,
    Just turn up they don't make appointments. It's a first come, firsted served basis.
    The civil affairs office is only for foreigners who are marrying a Chinese citizen, not for Chinese - Chinese marriages.
    Usually there are only anything from 2 - 6 marriages a day at this office and the procedure is only 15 - 20 minutes long.

It is quicker to get your marriage books translated at either the Foreign Affairs office or American Translations.

do you know what the number / name / address of the foreign affairs office is (in chinese) so ming ming can call them to confirm timescales.

Many thanks

Paul
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 23/01/11, 01:18 pm

paulnottingham wrote:Just a thouht but to speed up translation of the CNI - could I email / fax a copy to them before hand so we can collect it when we arrive?

Would a UK company do the work without payment or any gaurantee that you'll turn up to collect it ?

This is where 'guanxi' comes into play ! They may do it as a favour for someone they already know and trust but not for a comparative stranger.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 02:42 pm

handyal wrote:
    paulnottingham wrote:Just a thouht but to speed up translation of the CNI - could I email / fax a copy to them before hand so we can collect it when we arrive?

Would a UK company do the work without payment or any gaurantee that you'll turn up to collect it ?

This is where 'guanxi' comes into play ! They may do it as a favour for someone they already know and trust but not for a comparative stranger.

no... perhaps i should have said... we would get her mum to go in with the payment before hand

then fax it over / email it to them and collect when we arrived.

also where could i find details for the foreign affairs office
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 23/01/11, 06:51 pm

Hi Paul,
    Civil Affairs Office (Marriage Registry)
    Nanning Civil Affairs Bureau.
    Marriage Registry Office.
    6, East 5 Road,
    Keyuan Road,
    Nanning.
    Tele: 0771 3221226. (From UK 0086 771 3221226).

Foreign Affairs Office. (Translations)
    Nanning Foreign Affairs.
    4th Floor,
    14 Minzhu Lu,
    Nanning.
    Tel: 0771 2622912 Fax: 0771 2831386

American Translation Company. 3rd floor, Xianglong Building, 31 Yuanhu Rd, Nanning. Guangxi. Tel 0771 2268002 / 13152663819 Fax 0771 2262039

You would have to make sure the 'vignette's' are alo faxed/e-mailed and would a copy be clear enough for them to read the small print?

Why the rush to get it completed within a few days. We put the Marriage books in for translation then went away for a week, collecting them on our return.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 23/01/11, 08:44 pm

handyal wrote:Hi Paul,
    Civil Affairs Office (Marriage Registry)
    Nanning Civil Affairs Bureau.
    Marriage Registry Office.
    6, East 5 Road,
    Keyuan Road,
    Nanning.
    Tele: 0771 3221226. (From UK 0086 771 3221226).

Foreign Affairs Office. (Translations)
    Nanning Foreign Affairs.
    4th Floor,
    14 Minzhu Lu,
    Nanning.
    Tel: 0771 2622912 Fax: 0771 2831386

You would have to make sure the 'vignette's' are alo faxed/e-mailed and would a copy be clear enough for them to read the small print?

Why the rush to get it completed within a few days. We put the Marriage books in for translation then went away for a week, collecting them on our return.

Just want to get everything done as quick as we can - then any days at the end we can travel around a bit - but we want to make 100% sure we have all the things we need for the flrm interview which is a few days after we land.

thanks for the info.

Regards

Paul

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 25/01/11, 11:18 pm

civil affairs have told us we have to get the cni translated by either star or speedy translations. - these are apparently the only 2 transaltion companies they now accept copies from?

When we asked about American Translation Comoany they said they no longer had the concession with them???

as it happens speedy are close to mingming's parents and the hotel we have booked and happy to translate from the email so we can collect when we arrive - so we will probably use them..

but thanks for all the help so far guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 03:22 am