Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Citizenship UK

Post by davidmckendrick on 30/12/10, 02:19 pm

Applying for UK Citizenship after being married to a UK Citizen and living here for at least 3 years costs 780 for the spouse and an additional 500 for a child under 18.

The Forms AN are 16 pages of application and 44 of "guide to applying" for the spouse and Form MN for the child is 15 pages of application form and 35 of guidance.

No sense in making things too complicated for immigrants who are not fully conversant with English...................

They can take up to 6 months to process the application then a further 3 months to arrange a "Citizenship ceremony" before they issue a UK Passport. I expect she will have to pay extra for the UK Passport - then the Chinese will take her Chinese passport off her. Hope the family weren't thinking of going on holiday together that year!

David

Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Re: Citizenship UK

Post by Chris Seaborn on 30/12/10, 08:59 pm

David,
    Say for instance.. if your wife takes out UK citizenship, would that alter your status for staying/living in China, as you would no longer be married to a Chinese citizen?

Chris.
    nigelld7
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 304
    Where I live : Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2009-03-13

Post by nigelld7 on 31/12/10, 01:21 am

Chris Seaborn wrote:David,
    Say for instance.. if your wife takes out UK citizenship, would that alter your status for staying/living in China, as you would no longer be married to a Chinese citizen?

Chris.

Chris,

Good question! IMHO there is no simple answer.

As has been said before, dual nationality is not recognised by the Chinese
    authorities, so what happens to the house if already purchased and then the Chinese citizenship
    is given up.

It depends on the application for the visa for the reason to stay/live in
    China. Visiting family and friends? Foreigners are allowed to buy one property which
    they can live in after one years residence in China. Maybe assign the house to the mother-in-law
    on the title deeds! Laughing

In the case of retired folk, the visa is an L visa and is renewed at the Public Security Bureau
    after provision of documents including the infamous Hukou book. Those not married to a Chinese
    citizen have to leave China every so often to renew their visa, even though they might have property
    and the financial requirements.

As I said before, a good question but not a simple question to answer.
    Other things to be taken into consideration is the mood of the official and his/her
    interpretation of the regulations when you submit your visa application.

I am aware that some citizens do give up their Chinese citizenship but retain their
    ID card and of course, whilst this is not recommended, it is dependant on their motives
    for renouncing their Chinese citizenship in the first place!!

Regards

Nigel.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 31/12/10, 07:05 am

Hi Chris,
    I do not intend to live permanently in China but to visit China for up to 9 months each year while maintaining residency/domicile in UK for tax and NHS purposes. So not being married to a Chinese citizen will mean renewing my visa in China more frequently. Owning or not owning property in China is again not a great consideration as there are plenty of hotels, serviced apartments and furnished apartments that are much cheaper to rent than the equivalent in UK. The house we bought in NanNing is not in either mine nor my wife's name so her changing her citizenship will not affect that. If I live in China continuously then I can consider getting property in my own name but frankly at my age it is not a great priority, and renting gives much greater flexibility, particularly if NanNing is too hot in summer than a move further north might be an idea or a move to BeiHai for the winter.
    Of course this means that if our marriage dissolves I will lose the house in NanNing but since my wife will be a UK Citizen, Scottish divorce laws will apply and she will have no rights to the house in the UK which has title deeds in my name only. She would lose any rights to my Superannuation pension. Her only rights would be to half of the wealth created since the marriage so I would be entitled to half of the savings in her bank account.
    Her main motive in getting UK Citizenship is so that her son will automatically also be granted UK Citizenship because he is still under 18. His chances of getting a job are greater in the UK and if he doesn't then the Capitalist UK Welfare State will provide accommodation and allowances to keep him going which would not happen in Communist China.

David
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 31/12/10, 01:12 pm

Youv'e chosen some interesting reading material over the festive season David Crying or Very sad

I really can't understand Mei's insistance on getting UK citizenship.
    Her son will be judged on his appearance and qualifications when looking for a job. Whether he is a Chinese or UK citizen will have little bearing on a employers decision to employ him. Why does she think it will make any difference.
    The Capitalist UK welfare state will provide for his accomodation and allowances to keep him going even as a Chinese citizen with ILR. I can't see any benifits to changing nationality. The same applies for Mei.

Your plans for periods of residence in China though could be seriously screwed up. At this point you have no idea how the Chinese authorities would react to your wife denouncing her Chinese citizenship. Would you be granted a 3 month Visa for example, or just a 1 month Visa. That being the norm for a tourist without a Chinese wife, which will effectively be your position.
    Even with a 3 month Visa I doubt the PSB will extend it. So it could mean at least 2 trips to HK to renew your Visa.
    I don't think arguing the case that your wife was a Chinese citizen would be in your favour, in fact it could be detrimental.

Your plans for semi retirement in China have been recorded for a long time on this forum, now the fortunes of Mei's son have taken priority over your retirement plans. If Mei insists on UK citizenship then let her fill out the forms and pay the fees.
    You have worked all of your life for a retirement of your choice. You can only enjoy it once.
    I'm sorry David, but Mei has been aware of your plans for a long time. She is your wife and you have provided for her and her son far more than many on this forum have been in a position to. If she wants to remain in the UK and work and take care of her son then that's one issue, but to potentially make it diffult for your retirement in China is another.

Who's going to pay the utility bills in your UK home while your in China, put fuel in her car and top up her phone - You?
    I think only one person is being selfish and greedy here. Your being treated as a second class citizen David not a husband.
    Sorry, thats my honest opinion. Some serious choices and decisions have to be made in the very near future.

davext

Male
    Number of posts : 86
    Where I live : australia
    I have visited China : 8 times
    Registration date : 2010-04-12

Post by davext on 31/12/10, 11:39 pm

Hi ppl, very well put Handyal, and there would be many more on forums with similar situations, as i have posted before , family/(there family) money/ old age security/ are priority ,then husband, and as you say, husbands/ wives usually have disscussed there futures ,but after a while things get all turned around and you will get left in the back seat , so to speak Crying or Very sad Davext oh by the way A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 01/01/11, 02:50 am

Apparently it doesn't matter what plans you have agreed on as a couple prior to marriage these may be seen as concrete from your point of view but tentative from your spouses point of view. Chinese will always put their parents and children before their Western husband.

David
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 679
    Where I live : Perth Australia
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

Post by wanneroo on 01/01/11, 05:44 am

Hi David sorry to hear of your plight, it does gets complicated, Big Al is correct. but you only know whats inside your heart, its never easy, I marry my Mary tomorrow, we have our plans, we are taking one step at a time, there is an age difference of only seven years between us, and no children to consider we are lucky. Giving up her Chinese nationality wont ever happen, I have dual English and Australian passports lucky me, my Daughter born here holds the same, I dont know what will happen if we are not granted the Spouces visa We will make a decision when we know
    Please take care and dont get despondent you have many friends here on the forum

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 07:05 am