Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 679
    Where I live : Perth Australia
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

marriage validation

Post by wanneroo on 02/01/11, 04:01 am

Hi Guys I will have tied the knot by now Question; is a Marriage in Australia recogonised in China? passport wording stays the same on a Chinese passport?
    Just a thought thanks to all who have sent their Best Wishes 26 years single after a divorce, this is some trip I can tell you, I was freaking out 3hrs ago, Geoff
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: marriage validation

Post by davidmckendrick on 02/01/11, 05:50 am

Of course a marriage in Australia is recognised in China and a Chinese one is recognised in Australia.
    I don't know if Civil partnerships are recognised outside UK as homosexuality is still illegal in a lot of countries.

Congratulations and best wishes. This is just the start of the trip!!!!!! Remember, just agree with whatever she says then do what you want to do.

David
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 02/01/11, 09:23 am

Hi there Geoff...26 years single! No wonder you grumbled when Mary cleaned your apartment and she didn't like it when you played music at full volume! Sucker! You're a married man now, get used to it. affraid LOL.

Yes your marriage is recognized in China.

Unless Mary is Marty I wouldn't worry about David's civil partnership.

I've just asked Ying about your passport question her answer...."Too hard, you would have to change everything, identity card, Chinese name OK". Ring a bell everybody? LOL. I think I'd leave it and find out if you ever went to live in China. A lot of women, now a days in western countries, keep using their maiden names. I guess it's how you both feel about it.

Another question though, Mary is hardly a Chinese name, is that name on all her documents?

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Dixon.

Chris, Ying and Ting.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 02/01/11, 10:49 am

Hi Geoff,
    If you had married in China your wife wouldn't have taken your name. She always retains her family name.
    Of course in our marriage traditions the wife takes the husbands name.
    I presume your marriage certificate will have her Chinese maiden (family) name on it somewhere.

When you return to China make sure Mary has her Hukou changed to reflect that she is now married.

I would advise that you use Mary's Chinese name when form filling, even in Australia. Why - because all of her ID is in her Chinese name. Keep it simple to avoid confusion.

CPRSCC
    Valued Contributor
    Valued Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 527
    Where I live : Canberra, Australia
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-05-06

Post by CPRSCC on 02/01/11, 11:39 pm

Geoff, the first thing is for you and Mary to decide whether she will take your name or keep her own. These days either is acceptable in Australia, as you'd know. If she keeps her own name then you have the complication of the Anglicisation of the Chinese name to Mary and aka's are a minefield all of their own.

In our case Li is known here with my surname and while that took a little sorting out with a couple of government departments (DIAC was the worst because they had everything under her maiden name), a copy of your marriage certificate and a nice letter should sort things out. Medibank, HCF et al were easy. One thing I do recommend, though, is that she get a proof of age/identity card which should be available from your RTA. Same format as your licence, with photo, and wordings vary a bit from state to state but is accepted just like your licence is. This with her passport and wedding certificate would be all that's necessary to open bank accounts etc. (remember that you can open a bank account as a temporary resident with less that the standard 100 points for ID but you only have a limited time to do this - off the top of my head I think it's 6 weeks from arrival, but could be 3 months).

In our case, Li kept her Christian name (should that be given or forename?) and we've had no dramas on that score. Among Chinese friends here, and in China, she is still known by her maiden name, mainly because it's just too hard for them to pronounce mine (just getting past the "ker-ri-soo" bit is the limit for some) as weel as the common practice of the Chinese to refer to someone by their full name and, of course, since she still has Chinese citizenship, in China or when travelling she just uses her Chinese passport and ID.

Mary's passport and Chinese ID can stay as is until it's time to renew and then her marriage status can be recorded thereon as necessary but her marriage in Australia is certainly recognised in China. I'm not really sure how this is reflected in her family book - to be honest we haven't had that one come up yet. Might be interesting to know what others have experienced.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 03/01/11, 12:40 am

Mei decided to take my surname but use her maiden name as a middle name. Her son decided on my surname and a completely new forename. (Of course, technically he is not related to me at all as I have not adopted him).
    In Scotland you can call yourself anything you want. No forms to fill out like "deed poll" in England.
    There are many problems with this because the ILR is based on the names in their passports so you have to prove that the bills in both your names are in fact for the person in the passport who has a different name. Then the ESOL certificates are in the wrong names too. I tried booking flights for Mei to go home to NanNing for a visit but the ticketagents were extremely reluctant to accept a booking using a creditcard in my surname for a person with a different surname on their passport when I was not travelling with her. We still book flights in three different surnames and try to convince the authorities we are travelling as a family and not people-trafficking a minor...
    Remember to put "Miss" on the ticket because that is what is on her passport.

Either stick to her maiden name which is in her passport and on her ID card and Hukou or else get her Citizenship and she can get a Passport with your surname on it. An Australian or UK passport would make it much easier for her to travel with you on holiday anywhere (except China of course).......

David

Last edited by davidmckendrick on 03/01/11, 05:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 03/01/11, 01:21 am

Thanks for all the replies, all documentation is in "Liu Min" it will be kept this way, Mary is a name she uses amongst friends and myself, all will be kept in her Chinese name, passports etc
    We still have to complete the spouces visa applcation when we return to Nanning then submit to Guangzhou so Mary wont be living in Australia until the migration is approved then we intend to keep it simple name wise we dont need complications like Al mentioned good advice cheers!

David, that air ticket by credit card problem doesnt appear to be a problem here in OZ, they must have a tighter secutity system in place, they must have you suspect!! were you in your kilt? lol!

The wedding went well, everyone was fascinated to see an interpreter doing her stuff, now it all legal stuff etc !!
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 03/01/11, 07:54 am

Hi Geoff and Mary, a very warm congratulation to you both we are really pleased for you both and wish you all the Luck in the world and may all your troubles be little ones Laughing .
    In regard of what you are saying about changing names I have spoken to Li Li about this and asked her opinion as what she would like to do. My concern is when we retire we would like to go back to China Liuzhou as Li Li has her own home and our Daughter is there . So when the time comes to retire if we both still have our health my pensions will hopefully go a little further than in England that is the plan at the moment. I am worried if I change Li Li name in any way how will that affect us in the future. If I leave Li Li name as it is now without her taking mine at all does that make any difference < I am sorry if this is a stupid question, Please forgive my stupidity >.
    Sorry Geoff I hope I am not going off topic here scratch .

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile

wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 03/01/11, 01:13 pm

Hello Steve and Li Li thanks for the best wishes, Mary will keep her maiden name to stop confusion, leaving it has before which is Liu Min. Mary is her English choice for friends only, not official documemts, lets keep it simple if we can have the choice what does it matter?
    It was interesting to read your Wife is from Liuzhou that is where Mary is from; its her home town; she grew up and worked for the railways in the hotel acommodation side of things for 31 years. She has lived in Nanning for only four years after her Daughter left to work in Nanning, Mary is 60years of age she looks a lot younger, I leave for Nanning 24th Jan till 22/02/2011 Very Happy Very Happy
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 03/01/11, 09:17 pm

Exactly Geoff, keep it simple. In this day and age having couples living together is normal, married or not. Professional women have kept their family names for years now, sometimes old f arts like us can be a bit funny about that, my own thinking is that it's just a name and we don't need complications. The neighbours? Who gives a stuff, but if they're good they'll know anyway.

When Ying came to live in Australia there was no problem with using her Chinese name, using English script,to obtain bank accounts, medicare, driving licence and having her name on insurance policies, enrolling Ying into her ESOL classes and young Ting into High school school etc. The surname was reversed in it's Chinese order, to follow the western style. They practiced signing their names in English for a while until they were satisfied it looked adult! LOL.

Chris.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 04/01/11, 09:34 am

Hi Geoff and Mary, you are right of course and after giving it some thought and listening to people who are in the know as so to speak we will be doing the same.
    In respect of Mary working in the Hotel side of things for the Railways, Li Li parents both worked for the Railways and are retired now at 70 years of age. It is possible that Mary might know Li Li parents their surname is Zeng and they live on Shang You Road which is about half a mile away or so from Liuzhou Train Station just through the Market area.
    I know what you mean about Mary looking very Young Li Li is the same at 45 years old she looks to me a lot younger then I am biasest anyway lol! .
    I hope you have a Good trip to Guangzhou and your Visa application goes through as smoothly as Li Li did. It is thanks to all the excellent help that we received from this Forum and certain members that we were able to do everything properly and we will be forever in there debt. On the 24 of January please have a good flight and we will be thinking of you and would like to wish you all the Luck in the World. I know it will not be as easy for you and Mary as it was for us because of the new English test so our thoughts and Best wishes are with you.

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile

rich.redw

Male
    Number of posts : 28
    Where I live : Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Registration date : 2010-09-26

Post by rich.redw on 07/01/11, 02:12 am

Hi Waneroo, After 26 years you finally tied the knot....what can I say??...well, Congratulations to you both Very Happy and I wish a happy life in Austalia for both of you...Did you say youre coming to Nanning on 22nd January?? Well, guess what?? Ill be there on the 20thJanuary until 15th February.
    I do hope we can meet up. It could be a very interesting meet..Cheers!! Rich.
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 07/01/11, 02:43 am

Thanks Rich Yes we will be in Nanning on the 25th Jan I return the 22nd Feb to Australia, I will be coming back from Perth with Mary we have her visa application for migration to get done She lives in the older part of Nanning, I will be with her at her apartment I can send you a private message with our details we can meet up shortly Geoff Very Happy

rich.redw

Male
    Number of posts : 28
    Where I live : Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Registration date : 2010-09-26

Post by rich.redw on 07/01/11, 02:53 am

That`s great just send it to rich.redw@hotmail.com and I will send you Wan Lings mobile number so you can give me a shout when you have the time 0k?? Cheers Rich Very Happy
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 07/01/11, 03:21 am

Thats good Thanks Rich I will drop an email to you tonight Cheers Geoff

Sponsored content