Level A1 English language test

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

New English language requirements for Partners.

Post by handyal on 07/02/11, 04:05 pm

The new regulations apply not only to those who wish to enter the UK but also to those already in the UK.

If for whatever reason you are not in a position to apply for ILR because you have not yet obtained the ESOL requirements, then you must obtain the level A1 certificate from the list of approved providers.

For visa applications to enter or an extension to remain in the UK the UKBA will only accept the level A1 certificate or a Batchelors degree in English.
    ESOL levels (without the citizenship material), 'O' or 'A' English levels, or Masters degree in English do not/will not be accepted as proof of English language ability.

ESOL is only accepted for applications for ILR and you must prove you have progressed by at least one level from your assesment.

I think it is very important for any members affected by these new requirements to read and understand just exactly what standards and certificates they will require to either enter, remain, or permanently stay in the UK.

Although my wife Ling has acheived an Entry level 1 ESOL certificate without British citizenship material, (which is higher than the A1 level), it is not acceptable to the UKBA in order to apply for FLR. She must obtain the A1 certificate.

Crazy !!! scratch
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Re: Level A1 English language test

Post by makem on 07/02/11, 07:00 pm

handyal wrote:
    I think it is very important for any members affected by these new requirements to read and understand just exactly what standards and certificates they will require to either enter, remain, or permanently stay in the UK.

Read where Alan, links please so we are sure we read what you have read.

cheers.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Level A1 English language test

Post by makem on 07/02/11, 07:24 pm

I presume this is the test referred to by the UKBA when they say your wife must have passed at this level to remain in the UK when she applies for FLR.

Cambridge Young Learners English Tests
    The Cambridge Young Learners English Tests are designed to assess the English of primary learners between the ages of 7 and 12. There are three levels: Flyers, at Council of Europe Level A2; Movers, at Level A1; and Starters, below Level A1. The tests are taken by over 250,000 children every year and provide a gentle introduction to public exams.

Extracted from:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-exams-ucles.htm

What I am trying to find is where to sit such a test in the UK.

I would think it a good idea for your wife to take this test as soon as possible, even if she is already studying at a level greater than that level in preparation for ILR.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 07/02/11, 08:47 pm

Han Has found this Beijing based Company who purport to do the Level A1 English test. Note that there test includes listening/speaking AND reading/writing. I understand the latter are not required by the UKBA for spouses.

http://lawdirect.org.uk/workpermit2_en.htm

This link will take you to a Chinese written web page and you will need to select 'British' at the top right.

They also say they provide training for the candidates and always have 100% success rate.

There are similar centres in Shanghai, Chengdu and Guangzhou.

They are not mentioned on the UKBA list of approved test companies.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 08/02/11, 12:16 am

I hope that this A1 level requirement does not affect a wife who does not have ILR, returning from a China holiday (or any holiday).

Has anybody's wife returned to the UK since December 2010 and not had ILR?
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 11:18 am

From Cambridge ESOL.org:

The following Cambridge ESOL awards are recognised by the UK Border Agency for the language requirement for spouses:

Key English Test (KET)
    Preliminary English Test (PET)
    First Certificate in English (FCE)
    Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
    Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) Business English Certificate (BEC) - all levels.
    International Legal English Certificate (ILEC) International Certificate in Financial English (ICFE) ESOL Skills for Life (all levels - available in the UK only) International English Language Testing System (band score 4 or above)

You can find further information regarding all of our awards on the following page:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/index.html

Of these awards, KET is the mapped lowest on the Common European Framework, so might be considered the easiest. You can find a table showing how all of our exams are aligned to the Common European Framework (A1 - C2) on the link below:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/exams-info/cefr.html

If you need to enter for one of these awards, you will need to contact an approved examination centre. You can search for centres near you on the following page:

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/index.do

To search for an IELTS centre, please visit http://www.ielts.org

You will need to contact your chosen centre directly regarding fees and registration dates, as these vary from centre to centre. Please note that only Open centres will accept candidates who have not undertaken a course at their institution. Please also note that the Cambridge ESOL exams are not available to be taken online, and if there is no centre in your immediate area it will be necessary to travel in order to take the exam.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    However, I read on the UKBA site:

Can I take a test run by UK Border Agency staff?
    No. Tests are being provided by third parties who are commercial companies. The UK Border Agency is not providing tests for applicants.

Therefore no college, school or other place can provide this test meaning we must pay the 150 to 180.

NB. this is written by someone not of English origin and who DOES NOT have a good command of the English language! But they can test us!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the test facilities on the UKBA list:

Thank you for contacting us for Mrelts test , I am enclosing herewith a application form for your kind attention in order to book you for the test. The test fee is 185 for Students the next available date for the test is 11th February 2011 and 18th February 2011.

The applicant is required to fill the attached application form and send that to us as soon as possible along with a scan copy of passport to reserve the place.

For test preparation we will advise candidates to kindly use IELTS test material, we will be assessing speaking and listening abilities of the candidate.

We hope the above provided information would be satisfactory, Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mont Rose College of Management and Sciences
    2/A Ruckholt Road London E10 5NP

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After a long telephone conversation with:

http://www.uk.toeic.eu/

I understand that they provide a listening and reading test in many places around the country. Also a speaking and reading test only in London.

These tests are the same as those taken by someone who wants to work in a bank in the UK and each test exceeds 1 hour.

Each test is given a score and the lower scores are acceptable as A1 level by the UKBA. The reading and writing scores are ignored for A1 level English.

The total cost is 160.

I fail to understand why a 7 or 12yr old (that is the A1 level) needs to be faced with a test designed for people who may want to work in a bank! Ok they achieve a low score and so are of level A1 but surely facing such a test would make even an English person baulk.

In addition, when you check out their web page example questions you find the are spoken in AMERICAN and NOT Enlish!

Han can understand English quite well but found it difficult to understand the American accent.

Last edited by makem on 10/02/11, 05:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 10/02/11, 04:57 pm

Hi Eric,

Band 4 of the IELTS test (equivalent to B1) is achievable by most candidates with a basic knowledge of English. The speaking test is in 3 parts and lasts approx 15 mins. Training for this test is essential as there are methods in which the candidates are expected to use. Failure to use these methods will result in a low score.

What you or I might think is acceptable is not always the case. This test has very strict guidelines to test the candidates ability of 'native' English. The average score on speaking is 5.25 in China, that's after around 50-60hrs tuition in speaking alone but most training centres only do a course which includes all four parts of the test. Listening would be around 50-60hrs tuition again.

In the IELTS test, they use an average mark for the overall score.
    Reading and writing will be ignored, in this case, so it will be the average of listening and speaking. A low score in speaking (normal) can be compensated by a higher score in listening. Remember speaking and listening are normally the lowest marks achieved by candidates in China, they score higher in the reading and writing parts.

It certainly won't be the cheapest way to get the A1 certificate, or equivalent but it's the most recognised test in the World.

There is an IELTS test centre in Nanning for anyone interested!
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:24 pm

I have emailed all of the companies in the UK who do the A1 test and for information of others I will post the replies here.

Each was asked for information in respect of:

Speaking and listening at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference

Last edited by makem on 10/02/11, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:31 pm

Academy of Oriental Cuisine

Thank you for registering your interest in the Points Based System English Test.

The Points Based System English Test (PBSET) is an English language test that has been assessed as meeting the UK Border Agencys requirements for Tier 2 applicants and Spouse/Civil Partners applicants.

Please choose the Points Based System English Test which is appropriate for your visa application .

We also offer pre-training for PBSETT2 at A1 level. Please e-mail and ask for more information if you are interested in this service.

I have attached an application forms for your attention. The dates will be regularly updated on the Academy website www.academyoforientalcuisine.co.uk .

If you would like to apply please:

complete the application form, and include a cheque/card details.
    attach two recent passport photographs on a white background ,
    photocopies of your passport including the front page, photo page and visa page.
    The test days can only be reserved with full payment. Please make cheques payable to Academy of Oriental Cuisine Ltd .

Please post all applications to : Academy of Oriental Cuisine, Academy Building, First Floor, Gower Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS2 7PX.

Before booking please check with your immigration advisor or Solicitor you have chosen the correct PBSET test. If you book the incorrect test, refunds cannot be issued.

If you need a test urgently please let inform us and we will try and organise an earlier test for you. There is a fee involve, but if a test cannot be organised you will not incur any charges.

Once we have received all the documentation you will receive a confirmation e-mail with the times and dates for your test.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:36 pm

Sales and Marketing Company

Thank you for your interest in CIELT (Certificate in English Language Test). As regard to your email, we conduct the CIELT A1 exam for partner/spouse/fiance on every Monday and Wednesday in London, Middlesex only. The exam fee is 100. We will issue the result on the same day around 4o clock. Please call us or reply to the email with the full name, contact number and the test date to book your place.

Please refer to the following weblink for CIELT exam for Partner/Spouse outside the United Kingdom, fill in the form and you will get response.

http://www.coex.org..uk/cieltExam.php

The exam consists of two components;

1 Listening (30 minutes)

2 Speaking (5 8 minutes)

For Listening Part (Audio and Sample paper) please click on the weblink below for the Listening and Speaking in PDF format as CIELT A1 (Sample).

http://www.coex.org.uk/samples.html

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:44 pm

College of Excellence

A duplicate of the above under a different headed email.

Last edited by makem on 10/02/11, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:49 pm

LIMT English Language test

Thank you for your query about the LIMT English Language test for spouse/dependant. The exam is conducted at our centre in Ilford, Essex. The next test date is 12th February 2011.

The cost for the spouse/partner exam is 100.00. The certificate will be issued after 10 working days. We do have an urgent basis facility with a 2 working day service with a surcharge of 25.00.

If you wish to register for this date please send us the following details:

Full Name (as you wish it to be printed on the certificate)

Title

Surname

First Name

Address

Date of Birth

Contact number

Nationality

Profession

Exam: Tier 1/ Tier 2 General or Spouse (please mention accordingly)

info@limt.co.uk
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:52 pm

PLTsupport@pearson.com

Further information about this test can be found below:

General Information

The PTE General test is run 4 times a year in May, June, November and December.

PTE General is a paper based test for Listening, Reading and Writing skills and a separate oral test for Speaking skills.

PTE General is administered by language schools in 37 countries

PTE General is accepted by the UK Border Agency in support of settlement/spouse visa applications.

Registration for the tests

Test takers must register directly with the test centre where they wish to take the test.

Click here (http://www.pearsonpte.com/PTEGENERAL/Pages/TestCenters.aspx) for a list of countries and test centre contact details. We have four test centres in the UK in Birmingham, Glasgow, London and Essex.

Not all test centres will offer the PTE General test. Some only administer the PTE Young Learner tests.

Some test centres may require the test taker to complete an English Language course at the test centre before they can take the test.

Queries regarding the cost of the test should be made to the test centre.

Results

Test taker results are sent to the Test Centre 8 10 weeks after the test date.

Test centres may retain certificates for presentation at award ceremonies.

Results are issued as Fail, Pass, Pass with Distinction and Pass with Merit.

All skills are included in the result a Fail or Pass result will not be issued on individual skill.

e.g. the UK Border Agency requires a level A1 pass result in Listening and Speaking. PTE General test takers are required to pass all four skills in order to receive the minimum Pass result required.

Learning Resources available from www.pearsonpte.com

Some resources to familiarise yourself with the PTE General test are available from our website. These include:

The PTE General Tutorial provides a detailed overview of all sections of the test at each level (A1 Level 5) including timings, a description of the question types and section objective.

PTE General practice tests. On this page you will find guides, files for practice tests (containing audio files, spoken tests and written tests).

For further information on the tests please go to www.pearsonpte.com and view the information on PTE General tests. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 10:54 pm

Mont Rose College of Management and Sciences

www.mrcollege.org.uk

The test fee is

185 for Students the next available date for the test is 11th February 2011 and 18th February 2011.

The applicant is required to fill the attached application form and send that to us as soon as possible along with a scan copy of passport to reserve the place.

For test preparation we will advise candidates to kindly use IELTS test material, we will be assessing speaking and listening abilities of the candidate.

We hope the above provided information would be satisfactory, Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/02/11, 11:08 pm

TEIS Correspondence Section | Britain's Education Services,London

The first available date we have 19/02/2011.

You can apply online by log on at www..teis.org.uk

TEIS Correspondence Section | Britain's Education Services,London| * e-mail: exam@teis.org.uk
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 14/02/11, 07:16 pm

New English language requirement for partners

23 November 2010
    You must now show that you can speak and understand English if you are a non-European migrant and you want to enter or extend your stay in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/26-english-language-partners

This affects your Chinese wife who is already in the UK and has failed or not had the time to gain the reqired level of ESOL in order to apply for ILR.

If you need to apply for an extension to your Visa (FLR) then you must supply a test certificate from one of the test providers approved by the UKBA at level A1 or above.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/english-tests-partners.pdf

I strongly recommend you read the following pdf leaflet:

Information for applicants on the new English language requirement for partners.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/guidance-for-applicants.pdf

For entry to the UK or to remain in the UK (FLR) you now need to meet an A1 english language requirement.
    For ILR you still need the ESOL accredited course and must have progressed by at least one level from your assesment.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 15/02/11, 01:38 pm

Test Awarded by Level Grade Countries where testing is available Contact Details
    Test in English for International Students Britain's Education Services A1 40 UK, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Burma, China, Mongolia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Nigeria, UAE, India, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Philippines, Jordan, Singapore Britain's Education Services Examination Unit Delta House 175-177 Borough High Street London SE1 1HR Phone: +44 (0)870 6258 408 Fax: +44 (0)20 7681 1327 Email: exam@teis.org.uk Web: www.teis.org.uk
    International ESOL Diploma City and Guilds A1 Preliminary (applicants must have passed the speaking and listening elements UK, Ireland, Peru, UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, Bahamas, Kenya, Cayman Islands, Brazil, Gambia, Ghana, Argentina, Hong Kong, India, Cyprus, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Oman, Malaysia, South Africa, New Zealand, Trinidad & Tobago, Russia Federation, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Italy, Poland, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Serbia Customer Relations City & Guilds 1 Giltspur Street London EC1A 9DD Phone: 020 7294 2885 Fax: 020 7294 2405 Email: [u]intcg@cityandguilds.com Email: intops@cityandguilds.com Web: www.cityandguilds.com Web: www.cityandguilds.com/ieq Contact details can be found on: www.cityandguilds.com/int-home.html
    Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) Educational Testing Service (ETS) A1 Listening - 60 Speaking - 50 The websites below provide information on the location of TOEIC test centres worldwide: For TOEIC in the UK & Europe: http://www.uk.toeic.eu For TOEIC in the rest of the world: http://www.ets.org/toeic/ (under 'Find your local TOEIC representative') TOEIC Services UK Office ETS Global UK 707 High Road London N12 0BT Phone: 020 8446 9944 Fax: 0871 978 7521 Email: admin@etseuropeuk.org Web: www.uk.toeic.eu Web: www.ets.org/toeic
    EMD International English Language Assessmen English Management Direct A1 50% pass UK, Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Malaysia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ethiopia, Albania Contact Name: Stuart Matthew Hanson Position: Lead Consultant English Management Direct (EMD UK Ltd) The Gatehouse Mansion Gate Leeds LS7 4RF Phone: +44 (0)845 5332 786 Mobile: + 44 (0)113 262 6835 Email: info@emduk.com
    LIMT English Language Test London Institute of Management and Technology A1 40 and less than 60 UK LIMT 7 Cranbrook house 61 Cranbrook Road Ilford Essex IG1 4PG Phone: 020 8478 7900 Fax: 020 8478 7963 Email: info@limt.co.uk Web: www.limt.co.uk
    M-R English Language Testing System (MRELTS) Mont Rose College of Management & Sciences (MRCMS) A1 C (45%-54%) UK, Nepal, Thailand, Pakistan Mont Rose College of Management and Sciences Legacy Business Centre 2a Ruckholt Road London E10 5NP Phone: 020 855 65009 Fax: 0560 150 3532 Email: info@mrcollege.org.uk, info@mrelts.org Web: www.mrcollege.org.uk, www.mrelts.org
    SQA National Qualifications in ESOL SQA: the Scottish Qualifications Authority (the government-sponsored qualifications body in Scotland) A1 Access 2 UK Robert Quinn Head of Service SQA The Optima Building 58 Robertson Street Glasgow G2 8DQ Phone: 0845 213 5612 Fax: 0845 213 5000 Email: Robert.Quinn@sqa.org.uk Web: www.sqa.org.uk
    University of Bath English Language Test (UBELT) University of Bath English Language Testing A1 1.0 UK UBELT University of Bath Wessex House 7.51 Bath BA2 7AY Phone: +44 (0)1225 383817 Fax: +44 (0)1225 383135 Email: ubelt@bath.ac.uk Web: www.bath.ac.uk/ubelt/
    ESOL Skills for life (Entry Level 1) Cambridge ESOL A1 Pass A list of test centres for Cambridge ESOL exams can be found at: http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/index.do Helpdesk University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations 1 Hills Road Cambridge CB1 2EU Phone: 01223 553997 Fax: 01223 553621 Email: esolhelpdesk@cambridgeESOL.org Web: www.cambridgeesol.org
    Key English Test **** Cambridge ESOL A1 Pass Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Macedonia, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Martinique, Mexico, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Oman, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, UK, USA, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen. Helpdesk University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations 1 Hills Road Cambridge CB1 2EU Phone: 01223 553997 Fax: 01223 553621 Email: esolhelpdesk@cambridgeESOL.org Web: www.cambridgeesol.org
    Note that the Key English Test (KET) equates to the A1 required by the UKBA. The KET is available at many colleges throughout the UK, but only those designated as 'open colleges' ie. college where a course is not required before taking the test. Other colleges (designated 'internal') require that your wife takes a course at that college before they can take the test.

This is a quick link to the relevant page to select a college in your area:

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 15/02/11, 01:48 pm

Alan,

Notice that the Academy of Oriental Cuisine is not mentioned in that list. How does that affect Ling?

I notice that the list of 19 centres has not been increased since we spoke. Perhaps that is the final list for the present time.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 15/02/11, 05:21 pm

Hi Eric,
    The Academy of Oriental Cuisine is still on the list. Very first one on page 1.

You really should have gone to Specsavers ! Shocked LOL.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 15/02/11, 05:52 pm

makem wrote:Alan,

Notice that the Academy of Oriental Cuisine is not mentioned in that list. How does that affect Ling?

handyal wrote:Hi Eric,
    The Academy of Oriental Cuisine is still on the list. Very first one on page 1.

You really should have gone to Specsavers ! Shocked LOL.

Now it is funny you should say that!

Just the other day I spent 230 on new lenses at Vision Express.

Perhaps YOU would like to borrow them??

YES, that centre IS on the list but not as a centre for tests in the UK!

NB. I said 'On THAT list' (my list), not the UKBA list!

hehehe
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by MadGee on 16/02/11, 07:41 am

The UKBA now requires a certificate from an approved organisation which has been achieved by the candidate to the minimum level of A1 in listening and speaking as defined by CEFR.

'The test is at Level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) speaking and listening, which is a basic level.'

Level A1 :
    This is a defined LEVEL achieved in an examination and NOT an examination in it's own right.

Note: To do the listening test the candidate must be able to read and understand the written questions to be able to complete the examination.

The certificate will be in the format of the examination, with the mark / band / score (grade) achieved in the particular examination the candidate has taken. In most cases, the examination result will not state A1 level pass, but the mark etc achieved by the candidate in that particular examination.

Some examinations are in separate learning modules (speaking, listening, reading, writing), which are marked individually, some are a combination of all learning modules with a combined single mark, therefore some examinations will require all four modules to be completed to obtain the required final grade. Others, that are graded individually, will only require the listening and speaking modules to be examined. Check with your provider.

Depending on what examination the candidate has chosen, the UKBA has defined the grade needed in the different examinations to achieve the required level. Please note the grade required in the individual examination to achieve the recognised level accepted by the UKBA, each exam has the grade required listed in the examination selected on the link below. Some are at a higher level than others.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/english-tests-partners.pdf

Different examinations will have different formats, they are not uniformed, so preparation for the the examination chosen is essential.

A good site to use as an example: http://www.cambridgeesol.org/

Cambridge ESOL has 188 exam centres in England alone, some are internal, some are 'open centres', including two 'open centres' in Manchester. This link explains it.

As from September 2011, government funding or subsidising is reportedly being scrapped for many college courses, resulting in higher costs or courses becoming unavailable unless they are self-funding.

Information is being updated daily on this matter, so what is applicable today might be different tomorrow!

There are many test centres in China, depending on the examination taken, most are based in Beijing and Shanghai. A few are nationwide (e.g. IELTS) and very few 'open centres' are available. Most will be internal courses, so to get the qualifying examination certificate the candidate must enrol with the college concerned to be able to enter the examination, limiting the choice for the candidate and increasing the cost.

Graham
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 526
    Where I live : Weifang, Friendly Shandong
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2011-02-25

Post by Graham on 28/02/11, 01:34 pm

I hve nothing note wothy to add.
    Except,

My head hurts Shocked

Why has the testing been given to a commercial band of 'Robin Hood's ' ?
    This A1, basic level is proving to be a royal pain in the rear.

There are a handfull of test locations in China, Beijing probably being the most abundant.

Any way, the test is just on 'listening and Speaking' ? yeah?

Graham W

Graham
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Graham on 28/02/11, 01:41 pm

I got this back in an email today from Sales and Marketing Co.

Dear Applicant

Thank you for your interest in CIELT (Certificate in English Language Test). I would like to confirm you the next CIELT exam (for spouse and civil partner) date in Beijing, China is 27th March 2011. The exam fee is 200.

Please call us or reply to this email with your full name, contact number, permanent address and the date of birth to book your place.

The exam consists of two components;

1 Listening (30 minutes)

2 Speaking (5 8 minutes)

For Listening Part (Audio and Sample paper) please go to the link and Listen to the audio

http://www.coex.org.uk/samples.html

I hope this will be helpful.

2000 RNB, ?

Is that OK price,
    I think I will just send her on it, and be done with the damn thing.

Graham W.
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by MadGee on 28/02/11, 02:17 pm

Hi Graham W,

Oppps, can't have that , I'm Graham W ..... Smile

Hi Weifang G,

This is the CIELT handbook:

http://www.coex.org.uk/CIELT-A1%20Handbook%20(Eng).pdf

200 is excessive for such a basic test!

There are some 'walk in' centres in Beijing to take an approved UKBA exam.
    Cost is around 50. Sorry, can't find the link but I'm sure someone has it!

Found some: ESOL http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/index.do

Graham
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Graham on 28/02/11, 03:09 pm

Hi MadGee,

I wish we could find that walk in place.
    Now I am really into just paying 50 for it,
    Now 200 really looks expensive.

Here is another reply to an email we sent off to ESOL.

Dear Guo.

Thank you for your enquiry.

The following Cambridge ESOL awards are recognised by the UK Border Agency for the language requirement for spouses:

Key English Test (KET)
    Preliminary English Test (PET)
    First Certificate in English (FCE)
    Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
    Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
    Business English Certificate (BEC) - all levels.
    International Legal English Certificate (ILEC)
    International Certificate in Financial English (ICFE)
    ESOL Skills for Life (all levels - available in the UK only)
    International English Language Testing System (band score 4 or above)

You can find further information regarding all of our awards on the following page:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/index.html

Of these awards, KET is the mapped lowest on the Common European Framework, so might be considered the easiest. You can find a table showing how all of our exams are aligned to the Common European Framework (A1 - C2) on the link below:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/exams-info/cefr.html

If you need to enter for one of these awards, you will need to contact an approved examination centre. You can search for centres near you on the following page:

To search for an IELTS centre, please visit http://www.ielts.org

You will need to contact your chosen centre directly regarding fees and registration dates, as these vary from centre to centre. Please note that only Open centres will accept candidates who have not undertaken a course at their institution. Please also note that the Cambridge ESOL exams are not available to be taken online, and if there is no centre in your immediate area it will be necessary to travel in order to take the exam.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards
    Toby Domeisen
    ESOL Helpdesk
    Cambridge ESOL

OKAY OKAY,

Weifang G. sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 08:47 am