Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 313
    Where I live : Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-01-30

Single Status Certificate

Post by slowheel on 02/03/11, 08:29 am

I have now got my Single Status Certificate, from the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, I have sent it of to the Department of Foreign Affairs,

Before I sent it of I sent a photo copy to me girlfriend, she took it to the Marriage office in Chengdu,this is a Email from her to me,,

Thank you very much for sending the document to me,and I just take it to the Marriage Office in Chengdu,but I am afraid I have to tell you that the certificate you have cannot be accpeted here,my darling,they tell me that you must go to the Chinese Embassy in Australia,your single status certificate should be issued by the Chinese Embassy,then it could be accepted in Chengdu, otherwise,we would not be allowed to get married.My honey,I am very sorry to tell you this,but for our future I wish you go to ask about it in
    person again,ok.

My intention was/is when I get it back from the Dep of Foreign Affairs,with the Authentication, I would contact the Chinese embassy send it to them for their Authentication,

But now I am worried that the office in Chengdu will not accept it,

makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Re: Single Status Certificate

Post by makem on 02/03/11, 10:56 am

It will be acceptable once it is legalized by the Chinese Embassy.

However you need to confirm with your g/f that the actual wording is ok.

It would appear that it is ok as your g/f just mention the legalization.

I did similar to you - send the un-legalized document by email to have them confirm that the wording was correct before I had it legalized by both offices.

While this is all being done, ask your g/f to contact the marriage office and ask them where to have your certificate translated before you marry. The marriage office where I married would only allow translation to be done at one particular office (maybe got a kickback lol).
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 02/03/11, 01:36 pm

Once legalised by the DFAT and the Chinese Embassy it will accepted in Chengdu.

Ask your girlfriend if they need your certificate of Decree Absolute ? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, so better to ask first and be prepaired. If they do need to see it then this will also have to be legalised by DFAT and the CE for the Chinese to accept is a legal document acceptable for use in China.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 02/03/11, 07:01 pm

Thank's for your replies, this is a further Email from my g/f,

I have told the Marriage Office that the certificate should be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in Australia,but they emphasized that your certificate must clearly state that “currently you are unmarried”,then they would allow us to get
    married.Therefore,now I think you have to add these words on your certificate,ok.

The Certificate I have says Single Status Certificate,,,, and no marriage registration occurring between (the last 20 years ) in NSW, so I'm not sure if this is ok ?

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 02/03/11, 07:38 pm

slowheel wrote:Thank's for your replies, this is a further Email from my g/f,

I have told the Marriage Office that the certificate should be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in Australia,but they emphasized that your certificate must clearly state that “currently you are unmarried”,then they would allow us to get
    married.Therefore,now I think you have to add these words on your certificate,ok.

The Certificate I have says Single Status Certificate,,,, and no marriage registration occurring between (the last 20 years ) in NSW, so I'm not sure if this is ok ?

Probably the wording you have is a standard wording and cannot be changed. However you could ask.

To be safe in your position I would spend an extra few bob and have a Statutory Declaration (CNI) made at a Notaries Office. That way you can choose exactly what wording you need.

I suggest you use the wording the majority of us have used which is available on our web site under the 'before you go heading.

Make sure you include those exact words your g/f stated - “currently you are unmarried”

Instead of the:

I have never remarried since this date I am legally divorced and therefore free to marry.

I would put:

I have never remarried since this date, am legally divorced, currently I am unmarried and therefore free to marry.

That covers all bases. When it is translated the “currently you are unmarried” will be recognizably translated by the Marriage office staff.

Don't forget it needs to be 2 x legalized and later translated in China before you marry.

Last edited by makem on 02/03/11, 09:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 02/03/11, 08:18 pm

In the UK we use a notary to issue a CNI (certificate of No Impediment).

I've previously read that in Australia this can be done by doctors etc.
    Take a look at an example of a typical UK CNI that we recommend for marriage in China and note the different wording and information on that compared to the one you have. We only recommend a stat dec from a Registrar if you have never been married before.
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1896-uk-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 02/03/11, 09:05 pm

Hi slowheel, as Handyal and Eric have stated write a Stat Dec using the appropriate wording. But if you want this to be legalised by the Foreign Office and the Chinese consulate then this HAS to be witnessed by a solicitor approved by DFAT, you can obtain a list of approved solicitors from DFAT, (you cannot use your own solicitor,doctor etc to do this) and there aren't many in rural areas. Once you have the solicitors signature and stamp, (money,money!) It has to go to DFAT for their stamp, more money, then to the Chinese consulate for their stamp! The marriage Office will then accept this. I gave the marriage office in Guilin both the Registry certificate and Stat Dec (just to be sure, LOL). In Melbourne, DFAT will not stamp your papers in one day, I had traveled up to the city for the day to get this done and this was pointed out to me, however, I said it was urgent and that I had to get it to the consulate that day and the lovely young girl behind the screen said to come back in a couple of hours, and, bless her, there they were , all stamped.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 02/03/11, 10:20 pm

I happens more; when we went to the marriage office, the official fell over the txt; We herewith declare MR.B is single, legalisaed bij CE and Dutch MFA.So I had to call NL Consulate, fly to CAN and get a consulary statement; As far as our records state, Mr.B is single and in no registered relationship', and was sufficient..
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 02/03/11, 10:30 pm

Chris,
    Do you have Notaries in Australia ?

I only ask because up to 3 years ago our equivalent of your DFAT (FCO) used to accept sworn statements through a solicitor, but because many of them were not qualified to signature a stat dec (which is an affidavit) they now only accept stat decs signed and stamped by a Notary.

The Chinese Embassy will of course legalise any document that has already been legalised by the Foreign affairs office of the home country. If DFAT have a list of approved solicitors that's OK but it might be worth checking your current regulations for sworn affidavit's. If you have Notary's, they should also be accepted.

Last edited by handyal on 03/03/11, 07:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 02/03/11, 10:37 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:I happens more; when we went to the marriage office, the official fell over the txt; We herewith declare MR.B is single, legalisaed bij CE and Dutch MFA.So I had to call NL Consulate, fly to CAN and get a consulary statement; As far as our records state, Mr.B is single and in no registered relationship', and was sufficient..

Classic case of ignorance of the Chinese laws for marriage when you chose to be married in China.
    Did you draw it up yourself ? You should have consulted a legal advisor first Twisted Evil
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 03/03/11, 05:40 am

I thank you all very much, I appreciate all your help and advice,
    As I move forward ( I hope ) I will let you know what happens

Cheers slow
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 03/03/11, 08:49 am

handyal wrote:
    Beijing2008 wrote:I happens more; when we went to the marriage office, the official fell over the txt; We herewith declare MR.B is single, legalisaed bij CE and Dutch MFA.So I had to call NL Consulate, fly to CAN and get a consulary statement; As far as our records state, Mr.B is single and in no registered relationship', and was sufficient..

Classic case of ignorance of the Chinese laws for marriage when you chose to be married in China.
    Did you draw it up yourself ? You should have consulted a legal advisor first Twisted Evil

It was an official document from Dutch City register, legalised by CE and Dutch MFA. But the marriage official didn't understand the meaning of Single, that's why I needed the consulary statement.
    I don't understand your remark about making it my self. Perhaps some course 'understanding reading' is good advice for you,since you often read something that isn't in the text.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 03/03/11, 05:14 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:It was an official document from Dutch City register, legalised by CE and Dutch MFA. But the marriage official didn't understand the meaning of Single, that's why I needed the consulary statement.
    I don't understand your remark about making it my self. Perhaps some course 'understanding reading' is good advice for you,since you often read something that isn't in the text.

Ton,
    A single status certificate issued by a regisry office is no good for marriage in China UNLESS you are single, never married.
    A registrar's certificate does not contain particular wording, nor can it be added, for someone who has previously married.

If you have previously been married, divorced / widowed then your stat dec must clearly state that you have never remarried since that date. i.e. The date you were widowed, or the date you were divorced. Since you married the regulations for marriage in China have changed and probably will again. I married in May 2008 and they had just started insisting on seeing your Decree Absolute (divorce documents) which also had to be legalised by the countries FA office and the Chinese Embassy.

As we were married another couple were refused because he didn't have his divorce documents at hand.

Since this time the Chinese Embassy have altered the regulations again. (Nov 2009).You can find out the full requirements here:
    http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/lsyw/gzhfl/lg/t624435.htm
    Their information is for the national requirements of China, but certain provinces relax these requirements. Their information is also not correct when they state that in III that a person previously widowed /divorced should get a stat dec from the registrar office.
    This document isn't accepted in China unless you are single, never married, as I have already explained and as Slow's girlfriend is now reporting to him.

If previously married, divorced / widowed you must produce a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) which is a document you can write by your own hand, which is then formally sworn in front of a suitably qualified legal representative. The legal term is an 'affadavit'.
    In the UK we use a Notary, in Australia they can use certain qualified solicitors. They must be approved by the Foreign office of your country. You can include anything and everything in this document by your own hand. It must be signed by yourself and the legal representative. (After signature you become known as the 'affiant').

In Guangxi for example they do not currently ask for your divorce documents if all the details of your divorce are on your CNI.
    They do not require you to have a medical and you do not have to prove the nationality of your ex spouse as long as her nationality is sworn in your statement.

However we do not know the individual requirements in every province, so for the benefit of our members we recommend you use our CNI template which covers all the requirements that a member may face. We also strongly recommend that you have your divorce/widowed certificate legalised by your FA office and the Chinese Embassy, just in case!
    We also recommend that the member checks with the marriage registry office within the city/town he intends to marry, to check on their regulations. However our draft CNI will cover any and all requirements of any province. Our member 'luckysteve' married in Nov 2010 and the Chinese registrar commented it was the most informative and clearest CNI she had ever witnessed.

You can read our full advice and CNI template at this link:
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1896-uk-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen#14259

Just change the nationality information to suit your own nationality. Our template has been used several times over the last 2 years and up to the current date we have never encountered a problem with it's acceptance.

A Course in 'understanding and reading' Ton ? Practice what you preach.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 03/03/11, 06:50 pm

handyal,
    Thank you for this very informative post I think it's starting to sink I must now get a CNI/Stat Dec,
    I wish the Marriage office in Chengdu would be clearer in what they exactly want,
    slow
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 03/03/11, 07:29 pm

In most countries conditions and requirements change, like the Chinese law on Birthcertificates/MBC
    And before Embassies publish it on their websites, you're half a year later.So in between those publications , your must be lucky to have the right papers.

pjaustralia

Male
    Number of posts : 34
    Where I live : Australia (Ex Nanning)
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-08-25

Post by pjaustralia on 05/03/11, 01:47 am

just to let you know...i am from Australia and when i went to get married at the Nanning registry, even though i had the asked for document from Australia (single status) which was stamped by the Chinese embassy in Australia and department of foreign affairs, it was knocked back and i was required to go to Guangzhou and get a statutory declaration from the Australian embassy...this is the one they excepted but i needed to be careful to ask the marriage registry the exact wording they wanted before going and getting it.
    So, even if you think you have the right one, be prepared to get something else if required....i was really frustrated by having to fly to Guangzhou and back...but it could have been worse ...lucky i didn't plan on a wedding celebration on the day...i had about 3 to 4 visits to the registry before it was finally a done deal...i wish you more luck than me with the process...don't get upset just give them what they want and you will get there eventually Very Happy ...its all worth it in the end
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 05/03/11, 10:44 am

This is the information published by the Chinese Embassy in the UK for marriage in China.

These are the Chinese regulations so they apply to any foreigner wishing to marry in China. The confusion in my opinion is caused by the reference of terms used to describe what is actually required.

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/lsyw/gzhfl/lg/t624435.htm
    . British citizen divorced/widowed in UK applies for legalization of documents in order to get married in China

1) One properly filled-in and duly signed application form for legalization.

2) A Single Status Certificate obtained in the last 3 months from Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and authenticated by the FCO and its duplicate.

3) The Decree issued by the Court of UK and authenticated in the last 3 months by FCO and its duplicate. The divorced in UK whose former spouse is a Chinese citizen shall apply to a competent court in China to have the Decree recognized after the legalization by this Embassy. The divorced from a non-Chinese citizen shall provide a certificate in relation to the nationality of the former spouse and the duplicate copy.

4) The Death Certificate authenticated by FCO in relation to the deceased spouse and the duplicate copy alternatively.

5) Proof of identity with photo (such as valid passport) and its duplicate.

. Information on getting married in China

A non-Chinese wishing to go to China to marry a Chinese citizen should be acknowledged that the legal marriage age in China is 22 and above for male, 20 and above for female according to the Chinese law, and bigamy is illegal.

Before going to China, the following documents should be prepared:

1) To make Statutory Declaration either in front of a registered solicitor or to a Notary Public including Name, Gender, Date and Place of birth, Nationality, Passport or ID card number, Occupation, Address and Marital status (never married, divorced or widowed).

2) To have the Declaration authenticated by the Legalization Office of Foreign and Commonwealth Office of U.K. and legalized finally by this Embassy. The documents are valid for 6 months since the date of legalization.

After entering China with the above said documents and a valid Chinese Visa, the to-be-married should go together with his/her fiancée/fiancé, submit in person their marriage application to the Marriage Registration Office of the local government above county level where the Chinese fiancée / fiancé resides and, have their health checked by a designated hospital. The marriage can be registered only after the application is ratified, and the Marriage Certificate is issued upon registration.

What you actually need is an affadavit sworn by a suitably qualified person of your country which can meet the requirements by giving all of the information requested in part III and part IV of the Chinese regulations.

What is a Single Status Certificate:

Also known as a Certificate of No Impediment; Single Status Affidavit or Certificate; Certificate of No Record or Single Status Statutory Declaration, this is a sworn statement certifying that you are legally eligible to marry.

Certificates issued by Birth, Death, and marriage registrars are not a sworn statement and they cannot include additional information other than that issued on the certificate. This method is only suitable for someone who has never married and therefore has nothing to declare other than he is single, never married. (Which this certificate states).

If you have been married and divorced or widowed then you must produce a sworn affidavit by whatever means that follows within your country. It should detail the following.

1. Your full name.

2. Your full address.

3. Date of Birth.

4. Place of birth.

5. Your nationality.

6. Your passport number.

Then depending whether you are divorced or widowed:

7. Details of your Divorce: At which court, on which date, and the court reference number.

or

7. Details of being widowed: Place of death, date of death, death certificate number.

8. The nationality of your ex spouse: Place of birth. Country of birth.

9. A statement that you are legally divorced or widowed and (very important) that you have never remarried since this date.

10. A statement that you are therfore legally single and free to marry.

11. A statement that you have no blood ties or kinship within 3 generations of ( name) your intended spouse.

(Important under Chinese law).

This document should be valid for 3 months from the date of it's issue.

This document must then by legalised by the approved method of legalisation within your country and then legalised by the Chinese Embassy. Your divorced or widowed certificates should also be legalised in the same manner.

Once the legalisation of your documents has been concluded, they are valid for 6 months from the date of legalisation for use in China.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 05/03/11, 11:14 am

Alan,

In your/Al's comprehensive notes on what to do and what is required before you go to China for marriage I suggest you include something on these lines:

After you get (or before if possible), your evidence of single stature we suggest that you scan and email a copy of it to your g/f before you have it legalized .

Ask your g/f to take/send the copy to the office where your intend to marry, or phone them. Ask if the wording you propose is satisfactory for them.

Then have it legalised. This may save you time and expense when you go for marriage. We have found that some offices have differing interpretations of the wording the Chinese Embassy state.

Post by Guest on 05/03/11, 11:45 am

Eric.

The marriage section on the website about the evidence of single status is actually my work the wording as been accepted by the Nanning office for many years I see no reason to change this at present time.

But as you quite rightly pointed out website and forum is not just dealing with people who going to marry in Nanning most probably they can be variations in various cities about the wording, your recommendation of copying the Statutory Declaration getting your girlfriend to see if it's suitable for local marriage Office it is worth considering but remember that you after the Statutory Declaration translated into Chinese for their benefit.

I shall put your recommendations forward
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 05/03/11, 12:17 pm

Robert wrote:Eric.

I shall put your recommendations forward

Thank you Robert.

I thought you had relinqished your part in the running of the forum/web site?

Perhaps I miss-read something somewhere.

Post by Guest on 05/03/11, 12:19 pm

I said I put your recommendations forward, they can tell me what to do lol

I decide who is allowed on the forum that is my job now and I can easily delete members as well so call me sir lol
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 05/03/11, 01:08 pm

Robert wrote:I said I put your recommendations forward, they can tell me what to do lol

I decide who is allowed on the forum that is my job now and I can easily delete members as well so call me sir lol

Ah, you have donned the management cloak again, if only in respect of deletions.

I worked in a disciplined service for over 30 years and I never called anybody Sir!

I reserve Sir for those people with titles, so, until you gain a title I will treat you in the same manner as my senior officers in the past. Similar to Geordie, Taffy, Scotty etc will have to suffice.

I fear no deletion as I am sure you are a man of the world and would not let such a small thing cloud your judgement.
    jeez what a load of tripe!
    ROFLMAO
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 05/03/11, 01:52 pm

Eric,
    The template on the forum covers ALL the regulations in any province within China. It meets fully with the national requirements for marriage in China.

Certain provinces do relax the national requirements but our CNI would only result in a particular marriage office of a particular province stating 'we didn't require that'.
    Overkill - just like a Visa application a CNI will never be refused because it has too much information.

I have already made a statement on the information given on the forum as follows:
    Please remember it is your ultimate responsibility to confirm the current regulations for marriage, with the Marriage Registry Office in the City of your proposed Marriage.
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1896-uk-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen

The website is run by Al and only he can update or ammend that site.

The Forum is a seperate site run by myself and the Moderators with assistance from sirro bert lol!

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 05/03/11, 02:02 pm

handyal wrote:Eric,
    The Forum is a seperate site run by myself and the Moderators with assistance from sirro bert lol!

Whisht lad ah nahs that! Maybe you needs specsavers Wink

Hence why I addresses it to both you and Al.

I am a believer in belts and braces so getting prior approval is a must imho.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 05/03/11, 03:32 pm

makem wrote:Alan,

In your/Al's comprehensive notes on what to do and what is required before you go to China for marriage I suggest you include something on these lines:

That's only addressed to me. I'm afraid Al rarely visits the forum due to his university studies and work.

He has previously stated that if a member has any comments about the website you should contact him direct. That's the only gaurantee that he will be aware of any concerns about his website.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 03:32 am