Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 313
    Where I live : Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-01-30

Re: Single Status Certificate

Post by slowheel on 05/03/11, 09:37 pm

pjaustralia wrote:just to let you know...i am from Australia and when i went to get married at the Nanning registry, even though i had the asked for document from Australia (single status) which was stamped by the Chinese embassy in Australia and department of foreign affairs, it was knocked back and i was required to go to Guangzhou and get a statutory declaration from the Australian embassy...this is the one they excepted but i needed to be careful to ask the marriage registry the exact wording they wanted before going and getting it.
    So, even if you think you have the right one, be prepared to get something else if required....i was really frustrated by having to fly to Guangzhou and back...but it could have been worse ...lucky i didn't plan on a wedding celebration on the day...i had about 3 to 4 visits to the registry before it was finally a done deal...i wish you more luck than me with the process...don't get upset just give them what they want and you will get there eventually Very Happy ...its all worth it in the end

Thank's for that pj, that information is good to know, so in essence I could get a Stat-Dec from the Australian Embassy or Consulate in China,
    This might be a avenue for me as if I get one here in Aus I would have to take it physically myself to Canberra and and pick it up 3 or so days later that would be to very big
    travel days for me two days off work cost of travel etc,
    slow
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 05/03/11, 11:03 pm

slowheel wrote:if I get one here in Aus I would have to take it physically myself to Canberra and and pick it up 3 or so days later that would be to very big
    slow

Do they not offer a postal service via special delivery?

Post by Guest on 05/03/11, 11:06 pm

makem wrote:
    Robert wrote:I said I put your recommendations forward, they can tell me what to do lol

I decide who is allowed on the forum that is my job now and I can easily delete members as well so call me sir lol

Ah, you have donned the management cloak again, if only in respect of deletions.

I worked in a disciplined service for over 30 years and I never called anybody Sir!

I reserve Sir for those people with titles, so, until you gain a title I will treat you in the same manner as my senior officers in the past. Similar to Geordie, Taffy, Scotty etc will have to suffice.

I fear no deletion as I am sure you are a man of the world and would not let such a small thing cloud your judgement.
    jeez what a load of tripe!
    ROFLMAO

Eric.

I was having a light joked with you as usual take it the wrong way what I do on this forum is really nothing to do with you

slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 06/03/11, 12:35 am

makem wrote:
    slowheel wrote:if I get one here in Aus I would have to take it physically myself to Canberra and and pick it up 3 or so days later that would be to very big
    slow

Do they not offer a postal service via special delivery?

NO #$%&*@!% they don't !!!!!
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 06/03/11, 10:18 am

Hi Slow,

Before you decide to get your CNI from the Australian Embassy/Consulate in China you should consider the following:

Under the Marriage with Foreigners Act 1906 you must reside continuously in China for 21 clear days before giving notice of your intended marriage.

The period of residence must be immediately prior to submission of the notice.

The 21 day period cannot be counted from a number of previous visits or residency periods.

How long are you staying in China ???
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 06/03/11, 11:01 am

Slow,
    Don't you have any agents in Australia that can get your documents completed for you?

In the UK we have agents who will not only get your Visa for China but can also get all your documents legalised.
    They have service charges but for those living a distance away it is well worth the cost.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 06/03/11, 11:06 am

Robert wrote:
    Eric.

I was having a light joked with you as usual take it the wrong way what I do on this forum is really nothing to do with you

Of course you were Robert and I recognised that!

I was talking tongue in cheek when I replied. None of it was at all serious lol.

Hence the comment about it being tripe.

Sorry YOU took it the wrong way Wink
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 06/03/11, 12:23 pm

handyal wrote:Hi Slow,

Before you decide to get your CNI from the Australian Embassy/Consulate in China you should consider the following:

Under the Marriage with Foreigners Act 1906 you must reside continuously in China for 21 clear days before giving notice of your intended marriage.

The 21 day period cannot be counted from a number of previous visits or residency periods.

How long are you staying in China ???

Since when is this rule , I never heard of it. Shocked
    I'm sure in 2006 it wasn't a point to go to the Marriage Office with your documents, while arriving in Nanning a few days before, and that week more foreigners did marry, a Canadian arrived 2 days before in Nanning.

It is an UK law, NOT Chinese; http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Edw7/6/40;
    1The applicant shall sign a notice stating the name, surname, profession, condition, nationality, and residence of each of the parties to the marriage, and whether each of the parties is or is not a minor.
    2The applicant shall at the time of giving the notice make and subscribe in a book to be kept by the registrar or officer for the purpose an oath
    (a)that the applicant believes that there is no impediment to the marriage by reason of kindred or alliance, or otherwise; and

(b)that the applicant has for three weeks immediately preceding had his usual residence within the district of the registrar or officer; and

(c)if the applicant, not being a widower or widow, is under the age of [F7eighteen years], that the consent of the persons whose consent to the marriage is required by law has been obtained thereto, or that there is no person having authority to give that consent, as the case may be.

Last edited by Beijing2008 on 06/03/11, 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding info)
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 06/03/11, 12:29 pm

Hi Beijing,

How about 1906 ???

(Marriage with Foreigners Act 1906)
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 06/03/11, 12:49 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:

You are correct Beijing2008.

For once Wink
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 06/03/11, 12:57 pm

MadGee wrote:Hi Beijing,

How about 1906 ???

(Marriage with Foreigners Act 1906)
    I know in NL the rule is also , a pre announcement at Cityhall and local newspaper, of intendet marriage, to give people time to make objections.IF you marry in NL.
    But China has it's own law, and as far as I know, no pre-notification.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 06/03/11, 01:00 pm

makem wrote:
    Beijing2008 wrote:

You are correct Beijing2008.

For once Wink
    Eric, I know the law, and I know it's difficult for some to admit I'm most of the time right Very Happy cheers farao lol!
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 06/03/11, 01:44 pm

Yes, Beijing you know the law! But already stated that you flagrantly ignore the Chinese law that a Chinese Citizen shall lose their Chinese Citizenship if they take foreign Citizenship.

David
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 06/03/11, 02:05 pm

If you bother to read the related post:

Therefore, you must reside in China for 21 days for this to become valid if applying in China.
    Not rocket science is it?

Correct, not Chinese law but still a fact!
    Was there any mention of this being a Chinese law?
    Does this apply to Australians?

I don't confess to knowing it all, like you think you do Ton, but then if I did, I would be a lawyer earning megabucks!

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 06/03/11, 02:46 pm

Beijing,
    Different countries have different laws for marriage to foreigners.

In the UK for example there is a 21 day waiting period even in China through our Embassies / Consulates. I suggested that Slow should check with the Australian Embassy in China before he applies their.

BRITISH CONSULATE-GENERAL GUANGZHOU

Marriage to a Chinese National

British Citizens who wish to marry in China must present a document to the local authorities to show that they are free to marry.
    This document is called a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) and can be obtained from the British Embassy or your local registrar in the UK.

Conditions

If you are a Chinese-British dual national who still holds a Chinese travel document to travel to China, please travel to China on your British passport with a Chinese visa anyway so that there will be immigration records to prove your length of residency.

* You must attend in person to complete the relevant paperwork.

Beijing, Well you've heard of it now !!!

It's not often your right, but this time your dead wrong again !

Stick around to learn more !!
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 06/03/11, 03:10 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:Yes, Beijing you know the law! But already stated that you flagrantly ignore the Chinese law that a Chinese Citizen shall lose their Chinese Citizenship if they take foreign Citizenship.

David
    Which is not totally true; f.e. a child born from a foreign father and a Chinese mother , always will be treatened as a Chinese citizen.Despite the fact its born outside China.
    Even with a foreign passport. That I mentioned about Lance, for Chinese law he always will be a Chinese citizen.
    Please look at this website; http://www.startinchina.com

[Article 5] Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. But a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality.

http://www.novexcn.com/nationality.html

End of conversation. Ton, stop changing the topic please.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 06/03/11, 06:39 pm

So if I understand this, you are hinting I can not get a Stat Dec from an Australian Consulate in China if I have not been there for 21 days ? or I can not get married in China if I have not been there for 21 days? this is the first I time I have herd this. I would think getting a Stat Dec under Aust or UK law is nothing to do with actually getting married, the Stat Dec is from Aus the Marriage is under Chinese law.??
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 06/03/11, 06:45 pm

handyal wrote:Slow,
    Don't you have any agents in Australia that can get your documents completed for you?

In the UK we have agents who will not only get your Visa for China but can also get all your documents legalised.
    They have service charges but for those living a distance away it is well worth the cost.

Thank's for that I will look into it see if I can find an company that will do this
    slow
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 06/03/11, 07:29 pm

Any of you Australian guys know of an agent that could do this please let me know,
    slow.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 06/03/11, 08:00 pm

slowheel wrote:So if I understand this, you are hinting I can not get a Stat Dec from an Australian Consulate in China if I have not been there for 21 days ? or I can not get married in China if I have not been there for 21 days? this is the first I time I have herd this. I would think getting a Stat Dec under Aust or UK law is nothing to do with actually getting married, the Stat Dec is from Aus the Marriage is under Chinese law.??

Hi Slow,
    Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough. You said you might get your CNI from the Australian Embassy in China.
    If you do this then the conditions for getting your 'stat dec' will be the same as in your own country.

In the UK we have a 21 day waiting period. Even if we apply in China through our Embassy the conditions for issuing a 'stat dec' are just the same as in the UK. I copied the conditions for issuing a 'stat dec' through our Embassy as proof.

You need to check with your Embassy if there is a waiting period if that is how you choose to proceed.

In the UK we have to give a 21 day notice of Intention to marry. That law doesn't change if you apply at an overseas Embassy.
    Whatever laws you have in Australia for marriage will be just the same if you apply at one of your Embassies overseas.
    If you have to give notice, then the same will apply in China.

If you get your CNI at a solicitor then legalised at DFAT and the Chinese Embassy you don't have to go to the Australian Embassy in China. I thought it better you check before making a commitment, then work out what's best for you.
    dafu
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 348
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by dafu on 06/03/11, 11:58 pm

slowheel wrote:So if I understand this, you are hinting I can not get a Stat Dec from an Australian Consulate in China if I have not been there for 21 days ? or I can not get married in China if I have not been there for 21 days? this is the first I time I have herd this. I would think getting a Stat Dec under Aust or UK law is nothing to do with actually getting married, the Stat Dec is from Aus the Marriage is under Chinese law.??
    Within Australia the marriage ceremony is conducted by an authorised marriage celebrant who requires at least one month and one day notice. Overseas marriages do not appear to have this requirement.

Take a look at http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/page/marriagegetting_married and http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/marriage_os.html
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 07/03/11, 05:13 am

Getting Married is nothing to do with getting a Sat Dec is it ????? two totally different exercises, or am I missing something here,, after all I am only a welder !!!
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 07/03/11, 06:51 am

Guys, something is wrong here, when Ying and I married in Guilin we didn't give 21 days notice, I arrived in Guilin from Australia on the 3rd November and got married on the 8th November. No problem. No waiting 21 days. Are you, may be, talking about having an Australian wedding at a consulate in China?

Chris.

Last edited by Chris Seaborn on 07/03/11, 06:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 07/03/11, 07:02 am

This is as fare as I know, Hong Kong you must give 3 weeks notice like in the UK, China You just go on the day,
    You can't get married at an Australian consulate in China,
    slow.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 07/03/11, 08:25 am

Hi Chris,
    Did you get your CNI/Statutary Declaration in Australia more than three or four weeks before getting married in Guilin? Did you have to wait for a CNI from an Australian Registrar's Office?
    I got married in Nanning 3 days after arriving in China but I did have to wait 21 days for the CNI from my local registrar's office in UK, which I then had to get double legalised before travelling to China.

David

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 04:14 am