Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Re: Single Status Certificate

Post by handyal on 10/03/11, 09:51 pm

Hi Dave,
    Yes that was what I thought you meant. As I said you'll be wasting money getting that legalised.
    You only need your CNI from the Notary and your Decree Absolute legalising.

You can see the difference with the certificate from the registrar of B,D & M, it doen't contain half of the information you need if you have been previously married.

P.S. It's DFAT not DAFT. It's the process that makes us DAFT. LOL.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 11/03/11, 12:19 am

Hi David, The link below will take you to the Chinese consulate department regarding Authentication of documents, including that of divorced Australians. I really am surprised that the Chinese didn't return your e-mail! LOL!

I've pasted the portion regarding divorced people.
    For Victoria read N.S.W.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Ps. Although you could be right in naming the Dept. DAFT, it is in fact DFAT! LOL.

http://melbourne.china-consulate.org/eng/hzqz/rz/

9. How can an Australian citizen divorced in Australia apply for authentication of documents in order to get married in China?

The applicant is required to prepare the following documents before lodging the application with Chinese Consulate:

1) One properly filled-in and duly signed application form for authentication.

2) A Single Status Certificate obtained from Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)Victoria or Tasmania State Office and its duplicate.

3) The Decree Nisi issued by the Family Court of Australia and authenticated by DFAT Victoria or Tasmania State Office and its duplicate. Those divorced in Australia whose former spouse is a Chinese citizen shall apply to a competent court in China to have the Decree Nisi recognized after the authentication by the Consulate. Therefore, the applicant divorced with a non-Chinese citizen shall provide a certificate in relation to the nationality of his/her former spouse and the duplicate copy.

Or the Death Certificate authenticated by DFAT Victoria or Tasmania State Office in relation to his/her deceased spouse and the duplicate copy alternatively.

4) Proof of identity with photo (such as valid passport) and its duplicate.

10. Does a Single Status Certificate expire?

Yes.

A Single Status Certificate does expire. The applicant must have the authentication done by the DFAT Victoria or Tasmania State Office and Chinese Consulate-General in Melbourne within 3 months after the issuance of the Single Status Certificate. The Single Status Certificate will have a validity of 6 months after being authenticated by Chinese Consulate-General.

Last edited by Chris Seaborn on 11/03/11, 05:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : addition)
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 11/03/11, 09:22 am

[quote="Chris Seaborn"]
    2) A Single Status Certificate obtained from Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)Victoria or Tasmania State Office and its duplicate.

/quote]
    Exactly the same information as given on the UK sites - but misleading. Thats method is acceptable if you are single never married.
    Dave's girlfriend found out what we already know. If previously married you need a CNI from a Notary (AU solicitor)
    I tried last year to get a response from the Chinese Embassy - no reply. LOL. I even got the Nanning marriage office to take a look at the information for marriage on the Chinese Embassy website and even they said it wasn't totally accurate.

How many have followed their guidance without the support of a forum only to be refused marriage in China?

However read 1 at the top of the same page.

1. What are the steps for authentication of documents executed in Australia to be used in the People's Republic of China?

The document concerned shall first be notarized by an Australian Notary Public, then authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade(DFAT)office in the State or Territory in which the document was issued, and finally be authenticated by Chinese Embassy or Consulates in Australia. i.e., consular authentication is the end of the authentication chain for the document intended to be used in China. If the document concerned was issued by an office of Australian government or a public institution, it can be directly sent to DFAT office for authentication before it undergoes consular authentication.

Confusing lol!
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 313
    Where I live : Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-01-30

Post by slowheel on 11/03/11, 09:33 am

Hi
    I have had my Single Status Cert Authenticated by the DAFT DEFAT DEFART whatever it calls its self!
    I will also get it Authenticated by the Chinese consulate along with my Decree Nisi, and Stat Dec, just in case!
    slow

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 11/03/11, 10:36 am

Hi Dave,
    I understand your uncertainties.

Nobody was ever refused by producing more documentation than needed.
    Get your 'stat dec', CNI, and divorce docs legalised then enjoy your marriage in China.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 11/03/11, 10:58 am

Hi Dave,
    I did the same as you and got all three documents legalised and copied and took them to China with me. No problems at the marriage office and always more paperwork for the Settlement visa application!!!

David
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 11/03/11, 11:36 am

Hi David
    That's a good point, I didn't think of that,
    slow.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 13/03/11, 02:27 am

Hi Dave, Yes better an over kill than not, if that's what the consulate says is required for a divorced Australian so be it. If the marriage office says, 'too much,' who cares...it's if they say they want more is when the problem starts. As Alan says, 'nobody has ever be refused by having too much documentation.'

Cheers,
    Chris.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 13/03/11, 02:54 am

Hi,, Thank's all,, My divorce certificate was issued in the UK, DFAT said they would Authenticate it after I have had it notarised, but I wonder if the Chinese consulate here in Australia will accept it for Authentication as it's a UK certificate ?
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 13/03/11, 03:58 am

Hi David,

Yes of course, that's why the Chinese consulates in Australia want to authenticate them after DFAT, because they are non-Chinese documents. Once they have been authenticated by DFAT and them, and by them I mean the Chinese consulate in Australia, they will be OK for use in China. You have no problem once DFAT has agreed to stamp them regardless of the documents State of origin.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 13/03/11, 04:21 am

Thank's once again Chris,,
    So the Notary Public will write on and sign the actual Decree Nisi Document?
    And I only need to get the Decree Nisi Absolute Notarised, not the one they issue 6 weeks before Decree Nisi Dissolution ?

Cheers slow
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 13/03/11, 09:37 am

Hi Slow,When the court gives you your Decree Nisi you have to wait 6 weeks and 1 day before you can make your divorce final. This is to allow time for anyone who objects to the divorce to tell the court why they object.

After 6 weeks and 1 day you can apply for the "Decree Absolute".
    This means your divorce is completed and you are no longer married to your partner.

I'm not sure why you need to get your Decree Absolute notorised. I thought legal documents issued in the UK were perfectly acceptable in Australia. However if it does need notorising then I think your notary would draw up another affadavit.
    If so, you would then need to get all 3 documents legalised.

Once DFAT legalise your documents the Chinese Embassy will follow suit without question.

DFAT will attach a stamp known as a vignette to each document. It confirms that the document has been legally produced by suitably qualified persons. (It does not confirm the contents are true, but you swore an oath they were).
    Once the Chinese Embassy see the DFAT vignette they attach their vignette to confirm the documents have been legalised in the country of origin and that they can be equally accepted in China as a legally binding document.
    In China any Chinese office readily accepts a foreign document with the Chinese Embassy vignette.

It's a case of everybody covering their own arses! If the documents are later found to be false then you get the can because you are the only one who swore the contents were true. Shocked
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 13/03/11, 06:59 pm

Thank's Handyal,
    Anybody actually had this done, I would be interested to know if both parts ( documents )of the divorce have to be notorised and whether the Notary public just puts his signature on the actual documents without having to draw up another affadavit.
    slow
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 13/03/11, 09:33 pm

Hi Slow,
    Your decree nisi is not proof of divorce, it is only a notice of impending divorce. It is worthless once you get your decree absolute.
    Your decree absolute is the finalisation of your divorce and is the important document. Only this one needs to be notorised.

Your now an Australian citizen but you must still be married in the UK hence your divorce is being issued from the UK. ?

Because you are being divorced in the UK, DFAT cannot legalise that document because it was not produced in Australia.
    I think your notary will draft an 'affadavit' in relation to your UK divorce.
    Merely under sworn oath you make a statutory declaration that your decree absolute is genuine and issued by UK authorities.
    I don't think he will write anything on your decree absolute, which would deface it.

Just an educated guess but if this is the case you will need to get your CNI, divorce absolute and the affadavit to the decree all legalised. Your notary should be able to advise you on this matter.
    Your the first under these circumstances so please keep me informed what the notary does.
    dafu
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 348
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by dafu on 14/03/11, 01:27 am

I have a friend who married a Nanning lady and has dual citizenship of UK and Canada. He was previously married in England but was divorced in Canada. He had entered China on his UK passport and had obtained a UK CNI. Because he was divorced in Canada the marriage office in Nanning required that he notarise the divorce and provide the CNI from Canada. Also he had to use the Canadian passport as ID for his wedding which meant that he had to enter China using that passport.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 14/03/11, 06:28 am

And I have just had a blow up with my g/f so I think I'll say @#$%^ it, and go and look for an 18 year old filipino cupid,

slow.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1797
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 14/03/11, 09:43 am

slowheel wrote:.... so I think I'll say @#$%^ it, and go and look for an 18 year old filipino cupid,

slow.

And there are many of those! Good little Catholic girls, just waiting to take your money, give some to the Roman Catholic church, go to confession and get absolution! No
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 14/03/11, 09:54 am

Now I see why Westerners get such a bad name in Asia......
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 14/03/11, 10:03 am

I can't believe all this is so hard, seems like you can get all your stuff together think it's all ok then they still knock you back, Oh well can only try see what happens,
    slow

Post by Guest on 14/03/11, 11:43 am

It's quite understandable you're girlfriend and yourself have quarrelled through frustration you're only human the pair of you you're not the first member to have setbacks I have similar experiences myself almost six frustration months and this June I will be married seven years to my Chinese wife.

So the pair of you need to calm down and start thinking rationally and stop blaming each other.

Have you yourself have dual nationality a British passport and Australian passport if so and you been using your Austrian passport to obtain a Australian CNI you must ask your girlfriend will local marriage officer allow your marriage considering you was divorce in the UK. Or do you have a British passport and obtain your Australian CNI will the marriage officer allow your marriage.

It's just a simple task of finding out by asking if they demand a British CNI with your British passport because you're British citizen and divorced in UK

The sooner you find out we can overcome all these hurdles and put you on the right road to marriage.

If you think marrying a Filipino will be much easier you're sadly mistaken

slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 14/03/11, 12:10 pm

This was somewhat of a joke!! me and my g/f are fine
    slow

Post by Guest on 14/03/11, 12:14 pm

So you think is a joke well I am not not laughing, I have better things to do then to reply to stupidity

Graham
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 526
    Where I live : Weifang, Friendly Shandong
    Registration date : 2011-02-25

Post by Graham on 14/03/11, 02:04 pm

slowheel wrote:Hi
    along with my Decree Nisi,
    slow

Hi Slow,

Is the decree Nisi sufficient?
    Is it not the final stage, which is decree absolute?

Weifang sunny
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 14/03/11, 04:48 pm

Hi Slow,
    All you need is:
    1. CNI from a Notary.
    (Legalised by DFAT and the Chinese Embassy.)
    2. Your decree absolute issued by a UK court. (Decree Nisi is the one you get 6 weeks before your divorce is final).
    (Legalised by DFAT and the Chinese Embassy.)
    3. Notorisation of your Decree Absolute.
    I would think this will be in the form of an 'affadavit'. Because you are now an Australian Citizen with an Australian passport and have your CNI issued in Australia you need something to explain why you have an English Decree Absolute.
    A guess, but your notary will draft an 'affadavit' explaining you were divorced in the UK on (date) at (place) but immigrated to Australia in (date) and became an Australia national on (date). You have never remarried in Australia since this date and have produced a CNI in Australia as confirmation of your marital status.
    (Legalised by DFAT and the Chinese Embassy)

You need a legal document to explain why you are producing a CNI in Australia but divorce documents from the UK.

We usually get all our documents together first, having any notorisations completed, then send the lot in one go to DFAT for legalisation and then the Chinese Embassy.

Your Notary should explain what is required and the easiest way to get your documents legalised.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 14/03/11, 07:01 pm

Ok sorry about the cupid bit, I thought anyone would see it was tongue in cheek!!
    Thank you for the further explanation Alan,
    slow.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 03:54 am