Male
    Number of posts : 313
    Where I live : Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-01-30

Wedding party cost?

Post by slowheel on 10/04/11, 04:32 am

Hi all,
    Just a very broad question here, what could one expect to pay for a wedding party in China today, say 30 to 40 guests, flowers etc, I know this is a bit like asking what does a horse cost! But yes if I could get some idea from you very knowledgeable folk, I would appreciate it.
    Cheers slow.
    dafu
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 341
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Re: Wedding party cost?

Post by dafu on 10/04/11, 09:39 am

Each table in a 'banquet-style restaurant' seating 10 guests can cost between 6,000 and 10,000 Yuan depending on the menu and the 'poshness' and location of the venue. You then need to buy sweets (candy in red wrappers, assorted seeds and nuts), flowers, cigarettes and drinks and take them to the venue (BYO! A public market is cheapest but you can usually get the restaurant to provide them at a higher price).

For 30-40 guests you can usually get a private room with 4 or 5 tables. The host and family usually have their own table at the front with the other tables often divided into 'his guests' and 'her guests'.

The convention seems to be that each guest puts around 100 Yuan into the hongbao that is handed in with your invitation as you enter the restaurant. This helps to cover the cost of the banquet.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 10/04/11, 10:07 am

Dafu,
    Many thanks for that, that is very helpful information.
    cheers slow
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 10/04/11, 10:25 am

dafu wrote:Each table in a 'banquet-style restaurant' seating 10 guests can cost between 6,000 and 10,000 Yuan depending on the menu and the 'poshness' and location of the venue. You then need to buy sweets (candy in red wrappers, assorted seeds and nuts), flowers, cigarettes and drinks and take them to the venue (BYO! A public market is cheapest but you can usually get the restaurant to provide them at a higher price).

Wow! What did your guests eat Dafu at 600 - 1000RMB a head ?

Not unlike any other Country Slow the price can vary immensely depending on your choices.
    We paid RMB 4,500 - 5,000 for about 80 guests. Probably another 1,000 for sweets, cigarettes, drinks and fireworks.

It really depends on how much you can afford. Lay down a budget and work with it.
    Many receive 'red envelopes' from the guests which can cover the cost of the banquet.
    I have no idea how much we received? As with the normal tradition, it goes in the wife's pocket, never to be seen again ! LOL.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 10/04/11, 10:13 pm

Times do change, but what Handyal has written was pretty close for me, Ying and her sisters negotiated the price with a very nice hotel in Guilin that we were staying in. In addition to lollies etc., I took along a heap of little fluffy Australian animal toys as gifts for the kids, but the adults were fascinated by them too, very light in my baggage and very cheap, did a deal at my local post office, (I left the made in China tags on, it was a cause of great merriment when this was pointed out during the evening. LOL) Also the bottles of scotch, bought at duty-free at the airport 'went down' very well too! LOL.

A nice touch, for me, was giving Ying's parents a 'Bride Price', when I met them, Ying was thrilled with this, 1. That I had known about this, it's not important for a second marriage. 2. That although she knew we didn't have much money that I had insisted we give them a red envelope.
    Now, a lot of members will disagree with this, and that's fine, but for me it was a little bit of Chinese tradition, and they were farmers and not too well off. Ying told me later we received most of it back in our 'Red envelope' at the dinner. Can't remember now but I think it cost us close to nothing after the 'wedding money' was counted.

Another thing they all, well most, followed us back to our room that had been smothered in rose petals, I thought, 'hell how long are they going to stay?' They started to make one hellva din for several minutes and left. Job done, they reckoned, no bad spirits left to spoil our marriage.

I'm glad our tables weren't 'his' and 'hers' I'd been pretty lonely! LOL.

A very happy Chris.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 11/04/11, 07:12 am

Great posts guys, enjoyed reading them, Chris you tell a good yarn,
    I had a bit of a shock yesterday evening on skype we were talking about the wedding,
    so when I asked what will it cost, Alice said ( wrote ) 20,000 for flowers!!!
    I nearly fell of my chair, what! you must be joking!
    Anyway I am sure she meant for the wedding as a whole, but yes quite a chunk of money,
    almost $3,000 this with the cost of my flight,$1,800 the hotels for three weeks, travel costs while in China, the cost of the Partner visa application just short of $2,000, and three weeks of food for two and some Chinese beer, Alice said she would pay for the wedding herself, but I don't feel comfortable really for her to pay.

Cheers slow.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 11/04/11, 10:15 pm

You are going to be man and wife, well you already will be at your wedding dinner, I think you have a very good woman there Slow, the fact that she is willing to pay for the dinner is a good sign that she wants the relationship to be a family one, not just the convenience of having a husband, If she has the attitude of wanting to be a family and to do her bit that's wonderful...just like my Ying, what you do, of course, is your prerogative, my opinion is, if you've spoken to her about your finances, and she knows things are tight, let her give a helping hand. She will probably get most of it back in the RED ENVELOPES anyway.

When I arrived in China to be married, and knew that Ying was the girl for me, I handed her my cash and basically said this is all I have for our wedding and honeymoon and day to day expenses, the ring and hotel charges will go on my card, well! Talk about a Baptism of fire! LOL. Ying did the whole lot, we honeymooned in Beijing and toured the wall and other attractions there, just before I left to come home she wanted to give me the left-over cash! The Chinese girls know how to handle the money Slow. Ying handles all the day to day cash and running the house, I've never been so well off. Ying is a marvel. Make her feel she's part of your family, trust her, (or don't marry her,) show that she can trust you, don't be lazy and you're in for a wonderful experience.

Chris.
    dafu
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 341
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by dafu on 11/04/11, 11:41 pm

handyal wrote:
    dafu wrote:Each table in a 'banquet-style restaurant' seating 10 guests can cost between 6,000 and 10,000 Yuan depending on the menu and the 'poshness' and location of the venue. You then need to buy sweets (candy in red wrappers, assorted seeds and nuts), flowers, cigarettes and drinks and take them to the venue (BYO! A public market is cheapest but you can usually get the restaurant to provide them at a higher price).

Wow! What did your guests eat Dafu at 600 - 1000RMB a head ?

Not unlike any other Country Slow the price can vary immensely depending on your choices.
    We paid RMB 4,500 - 5,000 for about 80 guests. Probably another 1,000 for sweets, cigarettes, drinks and fireworks.

It really depends on how much you can afford. Lay down a budget and work with it.
    Many receive 'red envelopes' from the guests which can cover the cost of the banquet.
    I have no idea how much we received? As with the normal tradition, it goes in the wife's pocket, never to be seen again ! LOL.
    OOPS! Should have been 600 - 1000 per table. It is the man's responsibility to pay for the wedding banquet and the proceeds of the hongbao are traditionally used to cover the cost of the catering. It is NOT pocketed by the woman. At all but 2 of the 29 weddings I have attended here the couple have counted the money together at the end of the meal and then the man has settled the bill. Most times there was a little money left over. It is customary to write your name on the hongbao before presenting it...
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 12/04/11, 03:36 am

Also keep a note of how much each gave you because you are expected to give at least as much in a red envelope when you go to a wedding in their family!
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 13/04/11, 07:46 am

Hi Slow , as you probably know me and Li Li only just got married last October.
    The Price for our Banquet was 80.00 per table we had five tables total cost 400.00, we supplied all Alcohol and soft drinks ourselves.
    Li Li had got a wedding type planner in to decorate the room with banners and balloons, including a bubble machine, Champagne pyramid, lights and flowers every where even the tables were decorated. They even put in a small stage for us with features; I was well impressed with everything Li Li had sorted out. The total cost for all of that was 130.00, the video cost us 40.00 and the Wedding Pictures which were AMAZING I might add were 170.00 and I can personally highly recommend them providing you can afford them of course.
    Wedding Rings cost us around 600.00 but we got Platinum as some of the Chinese people think our Gold is cheap ( I. E. 9 ct ) at least that is what I was told anyway by Li Li Friends.
    We also bought lots of sweets and biscuits pre wrapped (small) and cigarettes to give out on arrival at the Hotel.
    We were given the hongbao < red envelope> with money inside which we counted together at the end of the evening in the Hotel room. Everybody had wrote something on the back as Li Li knew who the were off. All together we were kindly given 920.00 of which we gave Li Li Father ( Ba Ba ) 500.00 for what I believe is the tradition.

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 13/04/11, 08:52 am

Guys Very good and very informative posts, I really appreciate you all going to the effort to inform me, this is a very good forum, I would be lost without it, I mean that.
    I think Steve and Li Li's wedding is the sort of thing Alice has in mind, but I don't really know yet, she said we can discuss it when I am in Chengdu, so a mystery it will remain for the time being.
    Cheers slow
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 13/04/11, 10:10 pm

Hi Steve,
    Great post, will be helpful to many.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 14/04/11, 07:08 am

Thank you Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 15/04/11, 10:55 pm

Yes many thanks steve, that is a great detailed post very helpful to me, it is very helpful to have all the costs broken down, so you can get some idea what each part of whole wedding could cost,
    slow
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 15/04/11, 11:08 pm

Chris, thank's for your post and sound advice, what you say about family is very interesting, as Alice says "we should build a happy family together" she hopes "we will grow old together in harmony" so this points to solidarity for our future together, I think it's little things said like these that give one confidence that our future will be a good one.
    slow.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 17/04/11, 01:36 am

Yes, from what you've written your Alice wants a family relationship, not just a husband. Slow, it takes two to tango, you must do your bit too, support her mentally and be proud of her, Alice will need that support from you when she arrives in Australia, do this, and she will return it many, many times, (what goes around comes around,) you could then find that compromise comes very easy, (both sides) and you may not have any 'fights'. I've found this the most surprising thing with my marriage with Angela, I can have a short fuse, but we have not had a single angry word with each other. Angela also has no problem at laughing at her self when she comes out with some corker mistakes with her English, laughter is the best medicine, it's said, I've found it also works in keeping a marriage happy. But we've only been married coming up for 4 years, so there's plenty of time yet.LOL.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 23/05/11, 09:46 am

Just as an update the wedding party cost me only 4000 yuan that was for 3 tables, Alice insisted on paying the rest sweets drinks etc,
    So I could spend more on our Honeymoon, Very Happy

slow.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 23/05/11, 10:15 am

So what were the guests eating at 130 RMB a head??? My niece paid about half that for her wedding reception in the UK.

David
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1789
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 23/05/11, 11:16 am

luckysteve wrote:...we supplied all Alcohol and soft drinks ourselves.

Just a bit of useful information for anyone else organising a banquet in the future: If you supply your own drinks like Steve did, you can get the drinks supplied on 'sale or return terms' and get the cash back on any unused bottles. Of course, if you invite me there won't be any full bottles to return!

I went to a wedding banquet last Saturday and at the end there was a lot of wine and other drinks collected for return to the supplier or to be consumed later.

Graham
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 23/05/11, 11:44 am

davidmckendrick wrote:So what were the guests eating at 130 RMB a head??? My niece paid about half that for her wedding reception in the UK.

David

Must have been in Scotland .... 6.50 a head? Sausage rolls and egg sarnies! lol!

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 23/05/11, 06:15 pm

Ooops! my wife said that we (I) paid more than 4000 RMB for our wedding party with 3 tables and we supplied the drinks too. I noticed her parents taking everything that was left home with them. My father in law had decided just to have a small do as I had already paid for our honeymoon on my previous trip. My wife said there were hundreds of guests when she got married the first time.
    My niece has just told me that she got a friend to cater her wedding reception so they did it at cost and everyone had to pay for their own drinks so the hotel supplied the venue for free.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding!!! Sad

David
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 23/05/11, 07:46 pm

At our wedding banquet, my suggestion to take the left overs home in 'doggy bags' had a whole new meaning !
    zczachor

Male
    Number of posts : 11
    Where I live : Helsinki / Finland
    Registration date : 2011-08-01

Post by zczachor on 01/08/11, 09:00 pm

Hello.
    Thanks for nice post, I am going to marry also with my girl in October.
    But we plan make wedding party in China next year in summer.
    So now I can imagine how much more less it will cost.
    Was thinked it will need about 2.000 euro for party, but from what i see 500 euro is quite ok hehe Wink
    Thanks again.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 01/08/11, 09:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Z,

We saved you a fortune already lol!
    zczachor

Male
    Number of posts : 11
    Where I live : Helsinki / Finland
    Registration date : 2011-08-01

Post by zczachor on 01/08/11, 09:30 pm

Yeah, thanks Razz
    I just saved 1500euro only for entering to this forum hehe
    Maybe after some months I will get some salary lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 23/10/18, 11:33 pm