Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 313
    Where I live : Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-01-30

Wedding speech !!

Post by slowheel on 15/04/11, 11:22 pm

I think the biggest thing now for me to worry about is the wedding speech I must make,
    A very good friend of Alice who speaks good English will translate for me, ( she translated at our engagement party)
    I wonder if you guys could give me some pointers as what to say, or what is expected to be said buy the groom at a Chinese wedding?
    Any advice will be much appreciated,

Thank's slow.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Re: Wedding speech !!

Post by luckysteve on 17/04/11, 01:14 pm

Hi Slow this is probably no help.
    Before I went to China the second time Li Li had me practicing a speech in Chinese basically thanking every one for coming starting with the Parents Family and Friends in Chinese of course.
    To tell the truth I was hopeless, at my age I have enough problems trying to remember English and that is supposed to be my native tongue lol! .
    They Night before the Wedding that all changed, Li Li Sister in law and her Sister Missy came round to help me and they changed it to a small Poem in Chinese. They helped me practise it and I also wrote it down which as it turned out saved my Bacon. They broke down all the words and taught me how to say them, here me making funny faces trying to say these words. When it came for my speech my mind went completely blank as usual affraid and luckily for me I had it wrote down.
    All the very Best and have a great Day Smile .

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 17/04/11, 04:21 pm

Hi Dave,

I was fortunate enogh to have Lings uncle perform as 'master of ceremonies' and give a speech on our behalf, but he let me perform the traditional toast.
    As the groom I had to down a shot of the rice wine (which clears the throat and chest of any infections and singes the hairs on your bum) and toast the bride, her father, her uncle, her brothers, sister, then each table of guests.

By the time I got back to my table I could speak fluent Chinese, even if they couldn't understand me ! drunken
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 17/04/11, 07:55 pm

Steve, I know what you mean about remembering stuff, I wouldn't attempt to try an speak Chinese in front of so many folk !!!

Al, I think I'll go with your idea, down a few, mumble a bit and let the translator say something appropriate for me.
    Only joking,,, slow.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 17/04/11, 10:04 pm

You mention memories Steve, I can remember learning a few lines, which similar to you, I totally stuffed up! LOL. Our MC also came up trumps and 'saved' the day, not that it needed saving, the family and friends and their children are just lovely people, I was looking a right Dork anyway dressed in a costume that wouldn't fit me. LOL. I also had the same experience as Alan, I don't know how much Guilin wine I consumed going around the tables but it was a lot of fun, we didn't have a lavish affair, it was in a 5 star hotel and they did a good job with decorations without going overboard with the bill. In a huge reception room elsewhere in the hotel there was an over the top wedding dinner, but I bet we had just as much fun as they did.

With her white make-up and beautiful Chinese dress my wife looked stunning.

Hard not to be nervous Slow, but relax, your Chinese family and friends will be welcoming you to the family. Embrace it.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 17/04/11, 10:48 pm

As long as you learn how to say "bottoms up" in Chinese you don't need much else! I think I used much the same speech as in my two previous marriages. Saying how much I loved my new wife and how much her family had done for her and that I was going to be the best husband for her and a great son-in-law.

I stuck to soft drinks for all the toasting and used the excuse that alcohol would interfere with my antimalaria tablets. Nobody seemed to mind and Mei was very pleased as both her father and first husband were heavy drinkers so she was glad to have married someone who was almost teetotal.

David
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 679
    Where I live : Perth Australia
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

Post by wanneroo on 18/04/11, 12:36 am

We where married in Australia, it was a lovely day, we had Marie from Hong Kong who did the Manderin exchanges re the vows, Mary was dressed in Red and Gold,She looked lovely, It was a simple wedding without bells and whistles which we both wanted at our ages, We had catered food which was very well put together and a small group of friends in attendance
    It was a little isolated for Mary without any members of her family at this special time, Mary wanted to marry in Australia, it was just what she wanted to do, We had a small wedding, it was a Western affair in a beautiful Balinese garden setting, I still feel a wedding in Nanning would have been the way to go so Mary could have her family together, this made me a little sad for her
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 18/04/11, 04:12 am

Hi Geof,

There's no reason why, next time you're in Nanning you couldn't hold a wedding dinner. It's not an actual wedding ceremony, there's no real time limit when this should be held, Family and friends do place an importance on the dinner. This would please everyone.

Chris.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 18/04/11, 07:16 am

You guys are great, I would like to invite you all to my wedding with your wives,
    so if any of you just happen to be over in Chengdu next week, your most welcome to come and back me up!!
    slow
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 18/04/11, 11:12 am

If it were possible nothing would give me more pleasure Slow.

Angela and I wish you all the very best.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 18/04/11, 01:49 pm

Thanks for the offer Dave, much appreciated but not possible.

Ling and I wish you all the very best and good luck.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by luckysteve on 18/04/11, 02:44 pm

Hi Slow if you can afford mine and Li Li airfare we can afford the time and would love to come as well lol! lol! , only joking.
    Work has me tied up at the moment for the next 20 days so we will have to pass up your very kind offer.
    We really do hope you have a great time in China again.
    In regards of your Wedding, just enjoy it. If it is anything like ours it will be very relaxed atmosphere and like Chris says your Bride will look stunning as well.

Chris says Hard not to be nervous Slow, but relax, your Chinese family and friends will be welcoming you to the family. Embrace it.
    I agree with Chris 100 % here, Li Li Family and Friends were all Amazing towards me and made me feel so welcome from the very start. And if I am honest they knock spots of my so called Family in England.

In Regards of your speech Good Luck on what ever you choose Smile , Alan and Chris might have been able to sample the amber nectre but in my case one sniff of the bar mans apron and I would have been flat on my back drunken . I have heard the Rice Wine is quite potent and before I went out to China I voiced my concerns to Alan about this, I was Lucky our Daughter gave us water on the day Thank God Very Happy .

The Happiest day of your Life, Have a great time.
    We really do wish you all the Luck in the World.

Just had a thought, if you need any advice about the Birds and Bees apparently Sir Robert is the EXPERT on that subject Smile .

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 19/04/11, 12:37 am

Thanks for the invite Slow. I'm afraid Mei is in Nanning at the moment and I can't leave her son here on his own and he has school next week. Congratulations and best wishes. I have to agree with Steve that my Chinese relatives are much more welcoming and forgiving of my mistakes than my "family" in the UK.

David & Mei
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 19/04/11, 08:20 am

Thank's very much guys, I really appreciate your support and well wishes, from you all and your wives, I feel now I am part of a small exclusive community,
    Sorry Steve, can't afford the fare for you and Li Li, but you can send me a red envelope if you like, Very Happy.
    I will be heading out of Sydney on Friday arrive in Chengdu via Guangzhou Saturday morning, into the arms of Alice,
    Must restrain myself and not forget "no kissing in China " Very Happy

slow
    Very Happy
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 19/04/11, 10:37 am

Hi Slow,
    It is no kissing or hugging in public in China. There is lots of kissing and cuddles once you get to your hotel/home.

David Very Happy Embarassed
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 19/04/11, 11:27 am

I've heard even that barrier, (kissing in public) is being eroded by the young. China is changing...I hope not too fast. Good luck Slow and to Alice,your dear wife to be. We expect the full story to be published in Narratives when you get home. LOL

Cheers,
    Chris and Angela.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by luckysteve on 19/04/11, 03:52 pm

Hi Slow, Please give me your Address and i will put a pack of red envelopes in the post lol! .
    Have a Fantastic time and not too much drunken Laughing Laughing .

All the Best Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .

CPRSCC
    Valued Contributor
    Valued Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 527
    Where I live : Canberra, Australia
    Registration date : 2010-05-06

Post by CPRSCC on 20/04/11, 12:59 pm

Hey Slow. Because we went the Prospective Marriage Visa route we had to be married here in Australia. That notwithstanding, we still had the reception in China, 3 weeks before the wedding.

It made no difference because it's a great way for all the family and friends to get together.

For the speech, I prepared a very detailed speech which Li was to translate. Carefully, I made sure that it wasn't too long, less than five minutes. Of course, what I didn't allow for was the translation time (much longer then than now because Li's English wasn't as good and she kept on asking me what this and that word meant. A bit comical really but we eventually got it across and I'm still not sure if all the applause at the end was for the content or because we'd actually finished!

I think it's important to pay tribute to the brides parents first (they will appreciate this) then family and, of course, thank the friends for coming. Finally, how happy and lucky you are to be marrying this wonderful woman.

Then, get ready for the minefield of visiting each table. A word of advice here - identify the table with the serious drinking friends early and leave that one until last. At every other table you'll just have to drink one toast but at that table you'll have one for each person Very Happy

Enjoy. It's an experience to treasure.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/04/11, 04:18 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:As long as you learn how to say "bottoms up" in Chinese you don't need much else! David

Slow, much easier to learn how to say 'cheers'. The Chinese tend to speak the reverse of English so 'bottoms up' could be repeated in reverse if not careful. Think about it? You could be the fastest divorced foreigner in China Laughing

The red envelope is already in the post. I took the liberty of including this years forum subscription bill in it! lol!
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 20/04/11, 08:13 pm

Chris, Thank's for the tips about the speech ,
    One good thing I think is, my speech will be going through the translator, so that will be a bit of a defence for me, I can hide behind her, Yes I don't like to drink too much myself just a couple of beers is my limit, so will have to watch it a bit on knocking em back!!

Hope all the red envelopes arrive before I leave Very Happy

Cheers slow
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 20/04/11, 08:40 pm

handyal wrote:
    davidmckendrick wrote:As long as you learn how to say "bottoms up" in Chinese you don't need much else! David

Slow, much easier to learn how to say 'cheers'. The Chinese tend to speak the reverse of English so 'bottoms up' could be repeated in reverse if not careful. Think about it? You could be the fastest divorced foreigner in China Laughing

Remember after you are married never to say you are just "going out for a Chinese" as this could also be misconstrued lol!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 20/10/18, 07:16 pm