Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Demonstrating your knowledge of language and life in the UK

Post by makem on 01/06/11, 12:48 am

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the requirements for ILR.

This appears to come from Chinese people in the UK. They are saying you must either pass the 'Life in the UK' test or, an ESOL course to level 3.

This page is the one causing confusion I think:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/#

But I believe that is the requirement if you want to Settle in the UK, ie. get a British Passport.

This is the page which I think states the requirement for ILR if you do not want a British passport but just want an ILR visa to remain in the UK for life and keep your Chinese passport.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/25-kol-settlement1

Any opinions?

It is worring for my wife who is taking an ESOL level 2 course with citizenship materials at an accredited college.

She is being told by people on the internet that there have been changes and now she must pass at level 3 or take the Life in the UK test.

I want her to pass level 2, then take the Life in the UK test and in September, take ESOL level 3 to help her get work should she want to. She will have time to pass level 3 before applying for ILR if she passes level 2. If not she will take level 2 again and also attempt the Life in the UK test.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: Demonstrating your knowledge of language and life in the UK

Post by davidmckendrick on 01/06/11, 03:39 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/#

Knowledge of language and life in the UK

This page explains how you can demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of language and life in the UK, in order to apply for settlement (also known as 'indefinite leave to remain') here.

I think your first link clearly states that "settlement" and "indefinite leave to remain" are the same thing. So the requirement is as stated.
    The one where you get the British Passport is not "settlement" but "Citizenship".

She does not need to take a separate "Life in the UK" test because her ESOL course already includes "Citizenship" material.

I'm sorry I cannot comment about level 2 or 3 in England because the Scottish requirements are different but Handyal's wife, Ling, recently got ILR so he can probably give you advice about that.

David
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 01/06/11, 10:49 am

Ok, let me clarify:

extract from:

>
    This page explains how you can demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of language and life in the UK, in order to apply for settlement (also known as 'indefinite leave to remain') here.
    >

>
    There are 3 ways to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK.

You qualify as an English speaker if your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1.
    >

Now the other link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/25-kol-settlement1

>
    be able to demonstrate that you have progressed at least one level in order to obtain your qualification.
    >

Now, look at the links I supplied - both mention 'settlement'.

Look at the heading in the blue strip at the top of each UKBA page - both refer to 'settlement'

Now go back to the preceeding page (click the preceeding link at the top of the page)

What does it say?:

Changes to settlement from 6 April 2011

>
    After you have lived legally in the UK for a certain length of time, you may be able to apply for permission to settle here. This is known as 'indefinite leave to remain' .

Most applicants for settlement must show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK. (those words are a link and point to the page to which I first referred.)
    >

So, is the 2nd link I posted now out of date since 6th April 2011?
    >

So, I myself have doubts, so, can you wonder why my wife and others who's English language is not good, also have doubts?

Yes, I know Ling's method of getting ILR, but the UKBA page mentions changes, althought the 'changes' are dated 2010.

I am aware she does not need to take the 'Life in the UK' test but those who advise on the internet say she should because it is easier than doing an ESOL course, the requirements of which may change and which are in doubt. So, belt and braces, she will do both.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 01/06/11, 11:51 pm

Isn't it strange, you can read something ten times and not uderstand, then suddenly it dawns!

The paragraph:

'You qualify as an English speaker if your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1.'

refers to the requirement for you to take the Life in Uk test. In other words, if your level is currently Level 3 then you MUST take the Life in UK test.

If you don't qualify as an English speaker (above) then you must follow the ESOL route of progressing 1 level at an accredited college.

Simple!
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 02/06/11, 12:16 am

Hi Eric,
    I think the problem is not so much what her English skills are but how to demonstrate that she has a good command of English. She will not be present when the visa officer is reading her ILR application which is where the ESOL certificate comes in handy.
    If she can demonstrate that her command of English is adequate without an ESOL certificate then she does require to pass the "Life in the UK" test. There are lots of test centres and I think the fee was about 50.

I did speak to an Australian who did not require to prove she spoke English but did have to sit the "Life in the UK" test.

EC citizens do not have to be able to speak any English or know anything about the UK to come and work here indefinitely.

David

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 08:30 am