Male
    Number of posts : 147
    Where I live : wigan, lancashire, england
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2009-05-17

Hello All

Post by davey.B on 26/06/11, 06:21 pm

Just thought i'd say hello to everyone,

Both my wife and I have been so busy since her arrival last November she is adapting well and enjoying the U.K so much. She has enrolled on an ESOL course in the Manchester area and attends three times a week. This has been a real bonus for her as she attends a Chinese Centre and meets lots of Chinese people and does her own thing and grows in confidence, even by travelling alone during the week she feels she is learning about the city.
    I would suggest to any one with a Chinese wife, get into the ESOL as early as possible and start to get the fear about the test taken away fast and also let her meet people from China who are all learning about life in the U.K.

best wishes to all

Dave and Mei.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Re: Hello All

Post by makem on 26/06/11, 06:54 pm

Dave, how did Mei get on a college ESOL course during her first year in the UK?

I was told that 'No recourse to public funds' meant that she would have to pay the full college fee which out college told us was some 3000.

That is why Han took an adult learning centre course which was much cheaper but was only 2 hours a week.
    davey.B
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 147
    Where I live : wigan, lancashire, england
    Registration date : 2009-05-17

esol

Post by davey.B on 26/06/11, 08:32 pm

mei is on a course that costs use 200 U.K pounds including the exam fee. She sttends three days per week. The course is in Manchester and run from a Chinese centre.
    I have also found that one year after your wife has arrived in the U.K you can access FREE college courses in English Language.WE signed up for the ESOL course now to move on with things .

best wishes

dave.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 26/06/11, 09:57 pm

Thanks Dave.

We don't qualify for any of the below which can get you free tuition or help towards:

In receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

Job Seekers Allowance
    Income Support
    Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (must be income related and subject to government review)
    Working Tax Credit (with an annual household income not exceeding 15,050 subject to government review)
    Pension Credit (must include guarantee credit)
    Housing Benefit
    Council Tax Benefit
    In receipt of an income less than 15,050 (subject to government review)

So it appears we must pay the full cost of 546 (last years fee) which includes the college membership of 25.

I have no idea how they arrived at 3000 last year unless the 546 is the subsidised fee.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 26/06/11, 11:16 pm

Hi Dave, and welcome back after a long absence.

It's great to get your wife into ESOL classes as soon as possible but for her next Visa application you must provide a certificate issued by an approved college.
    There are lots of centres and organisations offering ESOL courses as a way to learn English and integrate into our society but many of these are not approved UKBA centres, they are privately run and not accredited.

I'm guessing you are talking about the Chinese Wai Yin society in Manchester ?
    They are not approved! I know of a couple of others who went down this road and wasted their money in so far as they ended up being in a position where their wives had to take the A1 language test at one of the test centres in Manchester just to remain in the UK.
    Two years wasted but they are now at accredited and approved colleges for ESOL.
    A very expensive mistake, although the intentions were good.

Your wife must now provide either:
    1. An A1 level pass in English from a UKBA approved provider to get FLR (Further Leave to Remain in the UK), or,
    2. An ESOL level pass at least one level above her initial assesment level from a UKBA approved and accredited college in order to get ILR (Indefinate Leave to Remain in the UK, or,
    3. She acheives neither and has to return to China because they will not extend her current Visa, or issue a new one!
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 27/06/11, 08:05 pm

Hi Dave and Mei, It is very nice to meet yous Smile .
    It is great to hear Mei is adapting well in England.
    There is a good possibility that Mei might know Li Li my Wife.
    Li Li also attends the Wai Yin society in Manchester on a Monday.
    She starts at 10:00 till 13:00 then 13:30 till 16:30.
    We were told by our local college in Stockport the price for an E S O L course with life in the U K accreditation would be around 5,000.00 this year as Li Li is classed as an over seas student.
    Even next year at todays prices we are looking at 2,000.00.
    At the moment Li Li just has to pay 1.00 per hour at this centre because she is not working.
    Li Li is also trying to pass the Life in the U K Test because at the moment we do not have that amount of spare cash.
    Li Li travels on the Bus into Manchester in the morning and returns home again in the evening, as she has done it quite a few times now she is quite confident.

Please put Mei picture up so we can see if Li Li can recognize her Question
    Take care of yourselves and hopefully one day our paths might cross.

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 08:40 am