Male
    Number of posts : 147
    Where I live : wigan, lancashire, england
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2009-05-17

ESOL fees

Post by davey.B on 10/07/11, 08:39 pm

Hi All,

I am posting this after the conversation about ESOL and the WAI YIN Centre, In Manchester.
    I have spoken to the staff and also had sight of hard copy information. The WAi YIn is not able to issue a valide ESOL test certificate . However they have have an external examiner from a validated University in the U.K that is Home Office approved and the ESOL test is recognised by the Goverment.Please note the fees for the ESOL level one course are two hundred pounds. My wife MEI has progressed well and is taking her ESOL 1 next week.
    Wai Yin have had several studets gain a visa after two years on application.I hope this helps those who are worried about fees and the ESOL test.I know this is a major issue for those of us with Chinese wives. Wai Yin will answer any calls if you wish to phone.

best wshes to all.

Dave and Mei.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Re: ESOL fees

Post by makem on 11/07/11, 02:34 pm

I can't unserstand anyone taking such a risk to save a few pounds.

Think of all you have spent so far and take the few pounds saved as a percentage. Is it really worth it?

On top of that consider the grief if your wife passes the test but then fails to get ILR.

I believe spending the extra dosh is worth it for peace of mind and I would not recommend anyone to take any course other that those approved by the UKBA.
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 11/07/11, 03:23 pm

Hi All,

This is a 'grey' area and I'm hearing about similar issues in China, especially in tier one cities.
    The UKBA accept certificates issued by approved test centres.

Now what if the test is done outside of the test centre by an approved examiner then issued by the UKBA approved test centre ... who's to know?

Tests for various exams containing the same material have to be done at the same time, same day, wherever the venue. There are some exceptions but they have to be approved by the governing body of the examination, the test centres cannot re-schedule exams without approval.

I recently read on an immigration forum that a candidate (in the UK) got her certificate rescinded as the date of her test didn't match an offical test day for the particular exam she had passed. Details of the test centre were not disclosed.

The WAI YIN Centre, In Manchester is well respected and established so I'm sure they're not breaking any regulations and provide an affordable venue for learning but it would be interesting to know if external examinations (not issued certificates) are recognised or indeed, known about by the ESOL governing body. After all, it is a money making exercise!
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 11/07/11, 03:54 pm

MadGee wrote:

Now what if the test is done outside of the test centre by an approved examiner then issued by the UKBA approved test centre ... who's to know?

Don't the 'college' or place of study have to pass the UKBA test of 'approved' place? Do nthey not have to prove this in writing, quoting their accreditation and how they achieve it?

A test result on it's own is of no value whatsover imho.

We all know that Chinese (and not just them), whether they be in the UK or elsewhere are known for 'forgery' by document or word, that's why the UKBA have an approved list is it not?

Still not worth the risk I think.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 11/07/11, 08:18 pm

makem wrote:
    Don't the 'college' or place of study have to pass the UKBA test of 'approved' place? Do nthey not have to prove this in writing, quoting their accreditation and how they achieve it?

A test result on it's own is of no value whatsover imho.

I totally agree with you 100% Eric.
    Not only must it be an approved college but the teacher must be qualified to teach to ESOL level with British citizenship material.
    The College (note the UKBA only refer to Colleges, not organisations) must also issue a letter to confirm their approval status.

Template letter from College:

This is to confirm that ________________________________________ (name)
    was awarded the attached certificate in ESOL Skills For Life Speaking and
    Listening/National Qualifications Unit in ESOL by ___________________________
    (name of awarding body).
    The certificate was gained after successful completion of an ESOL course provided
    by this institution. The course was delivered in a citizenship context by a suitably
    qualified teacher and used materials derived from “The Citizenship For ESOL
    Learners” pack produced for the Home Office by NIACE and LLU+.
    I can confirm that the student was assessed at _________________________ level
    before commencing the course and has progressed to _______________________.
    This qualification was obtained at ___________________________________ (name
    of institution) following a course which was _______________________ in duration.
    This institution is an accredited college because it is: (please tick)
     a publicly funded college that is subject to inspection by Ofsted (England)
     a publicly funded college that is subject to inspection by the Education and
    Training Inspectorate (Northern Ireland)
     a publicly funded college that is subject to inspection by Her Majesty’s
    Inspectorate of Education (Scotland)
     a publicly funded college that is subject to inspection by Estyn (Wales)
     a publicly funded college that is subject to an inspection programme that has
    been approved by the Island’s Government (Channel Islands or Isle of Man)
     a private college that has been accredited by Accreditation UK
     a private college that has been accredited by The British Accreditation Council
     a private college that has been accredited by the Accreditation Body for
    Language Services
     a private college that has been accredited by the Accreditation Service for
    International Colleges
     a private college that has been accredited by an accreditation body that has been
    approved by the Secretary of State. Please state accreditation body:
    ______________________________________________________________ .
    Signed: College stamp
    Print name:
    Position:
    Date:
    You should attach evidence of how you meet the criteria to be an accredited
    college:
    • If you are a publically funded college, you should provide evidence of your
    current funding.
    • If your college is a private college which delivers courses by arrangement with or
    under contract to a publicly funded institution, you should provide details of that
    arrangement, and a letter from the publicly funded institution confirming the
    arrangement.
    • If you are subject to inspection by Ofsted, the Education and Training
    Inspectorate (Northern Ireland), Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Education or
    Estyn, you should provide evidence of this.
    • If you have been accredited by Accreditation UK, the British Accreditation
    Council, the Accreditation Body for Language Services or the Accreditation
    Service for International Colleges, you should provide evidence of your
    accreditation.
    amended, or section 26(1) of the Immigration Act 1971, as amended).

18 months ago one of Lings friends (who is now at her College) also attended the Wai Yin for English lessons, (they offer English lessons, not ESOL courses) and probably got issued the certificate Davey is talking about.
    She applied for ILR last year but was granted FLR because the UKBA would not accept the Wai Yin as an approved College.

It's your money Davey. The Wai Yin cannot issue you with such a letter as posted above so be prepaired for refusal.
    With the new English language requirements, that means if she does not meet the criteria to qualify for ILR then you must produce an A1 test certificate in order to get FLR.

Otherwise it's back to China and you start all over again.....................seriously, no joking!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 09:13 am