Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 134
    Where I live : UK
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2010-01-17

Update on Marriage and Divorce

Post by Kev on 27/07/11, 02:48 am

Just a quick update, and information some may find helpful in the future. I arrived in Nanning on Friday the 21st and got divorced on that day. The divorce was quite easy. We simply went back to the marriage office where we got married. The process took about 1 hour in total and I left with a red divorce book. Everything was done in that 1 hour and the paperwork given back to me. Things were complicated a little with my wife loosing her marriage book. But she quickly took mine somewhere, and was back in about 10 mins and all sorted.
    Yen got divorced a few days later and again this was very quick and easy.
    Now the problems start, I took my divorce book to a Notary in Herfei ( Yens home ) and they said they could not translate and Notorize it there. It had to be done in Nanning !!!!!!Yen made a few calls and Herfei decided to do it. She got someone to say I had an address in Herfei and was working there, they accepted this.
    But a note for the future get your divorce papers translated and Notorized where you get divorced.
    The marriage office in Herfei would not marry us without a CNI. We explained that I had just got divorced ( evidence with the divorce book ) and that I had never left China since that date ( evidence with the passport )
    I now have 2 choices, stay here for along time and do the CNI in China. Or return to the UK and do the CNI there. Due to work commitments I will need to come back to the UK.
    I can then go back to China to get married later. Its a shame they can't marry us while I am here, would save alot of time and money !!
    Kev
    dafu
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 348
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Re: Update on Marriage and Divorce

Post by dafu on 27/07/11, 06:21 am

Why would the divorce book need to be translated? If it was issued in Nanning it would already be in Chinese! It should not need notarizing either as it is already a public document.

In your case you would need to meed the pre-residence condition for applying for the CNI as well as waiting the three weeks before it can be issued. If you were to get your CNI in China then the British consulate (presumably in Guangzhou as the divorce was in their area) will accept the Chinese divorce certificate as-is. This would also make sure that your ex-wife is on their records as not married to you.

You would most likely need the notarized English translation for a UK CNI (maybe authenticated at the Chinese consulate in London - maybe you should check on this).
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 27/07/11, 06:15 pm

Hi Kev,

If you had the translations done in Nanning I gaurantee they wouldn't have accepted them in Hefei !

When Ling was prepairing her documents for the Visa, Nanning refused to do them because her hometown was BinYang.

The important thing is you got your divorce documents translated.

I suspected they would request a CNI for marriage although theoretically if you divorced in China and stayed in China then I see no reason why they wouldn't accept your Chinese divorce document. You can't argue with the officials there, just do as they request.

Hi Dafu,

I told Kev to get his divorce document translated into English at a Notary in case he had to get a CNI from the UK.

It is possible it may have to be legalised first by the Chinese Embassy and the FCO before a Notary will accept it, but a code of conduct exists between Notories the world over. Divorce documents from the UK do not need to be legalised to be accepted by the Nanning marriage bureau provided the details are on the CNI.

They needed to be translated for his future Visa application as well. Everything must be presented in English at the VFS centre so any Chinese documents have to be translated in any event.
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 31/07/11, 06:25 am

Ok so now the plan is to return to the UK with my translated and Notorized divorce documents. Then take them to a local Notary with my CNI that I have prepared. I will use Chinese Visa direct to deal with the FCO and Embassy for legalisation.
    I will return at some point later to China with my CNI. We will then get married in Herfei. Then we can apply for Yens settlement visa.
    Have I missed anything here.
    Many thanks
    Kev
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 31/07/11, 08:03 am

I would ask your Notary if he can get your CNI legalised first, before you use Chinese Visa Direct.

Your CNI is valid for 3 months once signed by the Notary. It is valid for 6 months once legalised.
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 31/07/11, 12:52 pm

Just a little clarification.

Last month a UK guy got married and then divorced in Nanning, to marry another woman.... Shocked

A trip to GZ for his new C.N.I. and a wait of the statutory 21 days.

He was informed that the British Embassy or it's representatives no longer return documents by post, documents must be collected in person from GZ.

I wonder if this policy applies to all British Embassies or just GZ?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 31/07/11, 04:05 pm

Hi Graham,

You may remember last year that Lings son Ze had to personally take his passport to GZ and then collect it at a later date.

I complained and was told that other than an initial Visa application where you can opt for the return of documents by Courier service, it was the policy of the British Embassy not to accept or return any other documents by this service. Apllicants must apply in person for delivery or collection of documents, passports etc.

Last month Derek's appeal for a Visitor Visa for his wife was upheld. They applied in Chongqing. who subsequently contacted Derek's wife and asked for her passport. She posted it to them and they returned it by post with Visa in situ. bounce
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 07/08/11, 09:23 am

Hi can someone check I am not missing something here.
    I have now returned to the UK with my Chinese divorce documents. I had these translated and Notorized in China. I have my CNI prepared and the local Notary booked for Monday morning. I asked him before I got divorced if he would accept my translated and Notorized divorce certificate. This he said was ok.
    When the Notary has signed and stampted this I will send the CNI off to Chinese Visa Direct ( Do they need to see any other documents from me ??? ) They will send it to the FCO and Embassy for legalization.
    When I return to China for marriage I will have my CNI (this will need translating into Chinese) and I will have my Chinese divorce documents already in Chinese, and my passport.
    Does all this sound right ???
    Kev
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 07/08/11, 10:54 am

As far as I know, a CNI can be obtained from UK Embassy/Consulate.
    I miss this in the discussion; why not have a Notary Public translate the red divorce book into English and legalisation, then MFA. Consulate will accept the divorcepapers, legalise them for UK use and can provide a CNI.

Kev , why a notary is involved? You have the CNI. So what's left is the legalisation by the Ministry and China Embassy, for use in China.In UK you can have the CNI translated into Chinese.is more expensive than in China, but you don't need to follow the legalisation route NP/MFA.Or choose for translation in China , and legalisationroute there.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/08/11, 06:07 pm

1. CNI, legalised by FCO and Chinese Embassy. (Translated in China).

2. Chinese Divorce document and the Chinese Notary Copy.

3. Passport.

Take copies of everything. They will keep your original CNI and the translation (you keep the copies), but your original Divorce documents should be returned (they keep the copies).

Never used China Visa Direct but their wesite should tell you what to include. I know you have to complete a payment authority form.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/08/11, 06:14 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:As far as I know, a CNI can be obtained from UK Embassy/Consulate.
    I miss this in the discussion; why not have a Notary Public translate the red divorce book into English and legalisation, then MFA. Consulate will accept the divorcepapers, legalise them for UK use and can provide a CNI.

Kev , why a notary is involved? You have the CNI. So what's left is the legalisation by the Ministry and China Embassy, for use in China.In UK you can have the CNI translated into Chinese.is more expensive than in China, but you don't need to follow the legalisation route NP/MFA.Or choose for translation in China , and legalisationroute there.

Hi Ton,

Getting a CNI from the British Embassy in China would have taken too long. (4-6 weeks).
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 07/08/11, 06:53 pm

Even with the recent divorce papers? I thought I read in another[?]topic someone could get a CNI in 2 days.In China at the UKE.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/08/11, 08:05 pm

Embassies must follow the law of the Country to which they belong. In England a 21 day 'notice of intention to marry' must be observed, so even in China the Embassy must observe this law.

They must prepare a notice first, which is then displayed at the Embassy for 21 days to allow anyone who objects to the marriage 'to object'. Then they must prepare the CNI. Total time 4-6 weeks.
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 08/08/11, 05:24 am

Hi Alan
    I will have the CNI, and have this translated into Chinese for the marriage.
    I will have my red Chinese divorce book. ( which is translated into English and Notorized, done for my CNI in the UK )
    What is the " Chinese Notary copy " how do I get this, and why is it needed.
    Will they just not accept the CNI, red Chinese divorce book and my passport.
    Thanks Alan
    Kev
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 08/08/11, 06:28 am

Kev wrote:Hi Alan
    Thanks Alan
    Kev

You already have it Kev! It's the translation of your Chinese divorce book which you had prepared by a Chinese Notary.

I doubt they will ask for this, your red book should be enough, however take it along just in case. You certainly need it for the Visa application. (Divorce book and English translation.)
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 08/08/11, 06:48 am

Thanks Alan
    I am going to my local Notary this morning with my CNI. Just a quick one here, When I spoke with Chinese Visa direct they asked me how much the Notary is charging for this. I told him 60. They said why not just go to a solicitor with your prepared CNI, they will only charge about 5 to sign it.
    So the question, is there any special reason for using a Notary for this and not a solicitor, and does 60 sound too much ?
    Thanks
    Kev
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 08/08/11, 10:30 am

Kev wrote:Hi Alan
    I will have the CNI, and have this translated into Chinese for the marriage.
    I will have my red Chinese divorce book. ( which is translated into English and Notorized, done for my CNI in the UK )
    Will they just not accept the CNI, red Chinese divorce book and my passport.
    Thanks Alan
    Kev
    I don't know about UK, but in NL you need a legalised copy of the
    red divorce book attached to the notarial statement and english translation.
    @ Handyal; yep you're right, like marriage announcement will be published for 3 weeks,so is divorce.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 08/08/11, 10:30 am

Kev wrote:Thanks Alan
    I am going to my local Notary this morning with my CNI. Just a quick one here, When I spoke with Chinese Visa direct they asked me how much the Notary is charging for this. I told him 60. They said why not just go to a solicitor with your prepared CNI, they will only charge about 5 to sign it.
    So the question, is there any special reason for using a Notary for this and not a solicitor, and does 60 sound too much ?
    Thanks
    Kev

A Notary has a big red stamp! Chinese love red stamps. Don't try to penny pinch. The cost is going to be spread over your lifetime. Penny pinch and run a risk, just not worth it imo.

I used a solicitor to veryify the copy of my pasport and the result was nowhere as impressive as if it had that big red stamp. All he used was the company blue stamp. Yes, it was accepted but it is no way as important as your CNI.

PS. I hope you used the example CNI on this forum. It will be accepted, any other may not.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 08/08/11, 10:41 am

Eric, where can I find the CNI example?
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 08/08/11, 12:17 pm

Hi Eric
    Just back from the Notary and the CNI is officially stamped and signed. I used the example on this forum for my CNI. This is now in the post to Chinese Visa Direct who will send it to the FCO and Chinese Embassy.
    I Should have it back in about 2 weeks.

You can find the CNI example by going to the Home page
    then to, Summary- Marriage,Visas and after your Chinese wife arrives
    then to, UK information - marriage to a Chinese citizen.
    Kev
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 08/08/11, 05:53 pm

Hi Kev,

I'm a little late with my reply as I had to be at work, but I see youv'e been in good hands with the information.

Chinese Visa Direct are somewhat behind the times. The FCO used to accept a 'notorised' CNI from both Notaries and Solicitors who where qualified to 'notorise' documents. Problem was many of the solicitors weren't!

About 3 years ago the FCO changed to only accepting 'notorised' documents from a Notary, that way they can easily check the approved Notary register and know that your document was authenticated by a fully qualified person.

3 Years ago I asked my local solicitor if he could do my CNI, which he said he could and he didn't need to see proof of my divorce as he would take my word for it. When I asked if he was qualified to 'notorise' my CNI he replied 'No'!

I went to my local Notary.

60 is very reasonable in my opinion. My Notary also had my CNI legalised by the FCO for a total cost of 100. I then took it to the Chinese Consulate in Manchester for legalisation, cost another 15.
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 18/08/11, 11:52 am

Hi
    I have just received my CNI back from Chinese Visa Direct. I only sent it on the 9th and it was back on the 17th. This was the normal service not the fast track. So I would recommend them for the speed of service. So everything done with the FCO and Embassy.
    Ok now the question:
    Can I scan the CNI and send this to Yen in China so she can have it translated, saving us some important time when I arrive back in China
    Or will the translator need the original document ?
    Many thanks
    Kev
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 18/08/11, 12:12 pm

I think they need the original, and since it already is legalised
    the translation only will take about 2 days. Other possibillity is translation in UK by official translator.Which will cost a lot more compared to China.[around 150rmb]
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 18/08/11, 05:54 pm

No, the translator must make a translation from the original and also state on his translation that his translation is a genuine translation of the original document.

Your CNI should be translated within 24 hours providing you avoid Chinese holiday periods and exclude weekends.
    They may state a longer period if they know your in a hurry, then charge extra for a 'speedy' translation. Negotiate the price first, then tell them you want it tomorrow. Wink
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 06:54 pm

I asked the marriage office which place they recommended for translations. It was done while we waited.
    So the procedure was:
    1.Marriage office - hand in all documents
    2.Told where to go for translation (10 min walk)
    3.Back to marriage office within 45 mins - married immediately.

We also contacted them beforehand to show them the wording of the CNI so they were expecting it and said come here first, we make final check, then you get translation. (thats chinglish lol)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 09:09 am