Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Finance

Post by makem on 17/08/11, 04:08 pm

I would be interested to know (obviously not in detail), how members deal with everyday finance with their wives who are not employed.

Are they given a weekly/monthly cash allowance, for shopping, clothing and entertainment for themselves?

Is everything bought by you or are they in a position to shop themselves for food, clothing and entertainment by for example using a credit card?

Do you both shop tegether for the weekly/monthly shopping and who pays at the till?

I just want to get a general feeling for how the finance is working in case I am being mean (never!) or, too lenient (probably). With the language difficulties we have it is hard to know if we are treating our wives as children in respect of finance maybe. I wonder how they feel about the way things are dealt with.

Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Re: Finance

Post by Beijing2008 on 17/08/11, 05:24 pm

from the start , my wife did have her own bankcard, of the joined account. Since last year she has her own bankaccount with card.
    As perhaps more of us, my wife got the impression, even when she started working, that all bills and so on should be paid by me.
    After she started working the money she made was for her own use.
    But since I payed all the taxbills also,after she started working a lot had to be repaid to the Taxoffice, because her income was from January one estimated by the tax office, and all revenues from that amount calculated.For the coming year.
    But it meant in real life, we received to much, so payback time.Glad we can pay back in monthly amounts....
    Most of the time I do the shopping, because she is at home one night a week.And shopping with her takes HOURS..When I go shopping, I'm back in half an hour.About 2x a year we go to Chinese Wholesale Market, and that will cost about 150 €, so about 120 GBP. Rice , noodles, oil and so on.
    When she goes shopping , she goes alone or with Lnace, and that means from 12 to 7 or so, and coming back with shoes or cloths and make-up and that stuff.Most of the time special offers.The pile of shoeboxes is rising all the time.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 17/08/11, 08:39 pm

Hi Eric, we have a joint Bank account.
    Li Li has her own card with pin number which she can draw when ever she wants or needs. We normally do the weekly shop together and the Big Chinese Supermarkets together as well.
    Sometimes when I draw money out Li Li will ask for £ 50.00 pounds which she will use to top up our shopping as and when needed in the week.
    Li Li is not one to waste money to be truthful, completely the opposite, she has a good head on her shoulders where money is concerned. I am the one who is more likely to waste money.
    Li Li has no income of her own but as Li Li says what is mine is hers and what is hers is hers as well lol! . I trust Li Li explicitly and for once in my Life I am an equal in our relationship 50 - 50 which is how it should be.
    Unlike Beijing Wife Li Li is very reluctant to spend money on clothes or shoes for herself. Perhaps in time she might change but for now she is doing her very Best to save.
    I have asked Li Li in terms of money matters and she is more than Happy the way things are with us.
    Li Li wants to find work so she can contribute to our savings and improve our life’s.

Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 17/08/11, 09:22 pm

Steve, I said most of the time she buys special offers.Chinese are crazy about special brands like Ecco.YiXuan buys them, but only below 20€.....You all know the crazy wannahaves in China like Italian bags .[immitations]Louis Vutton f.e.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 12:07 am

luckysteve wrote:
    Li Li has no income of her own but as Li Li says what is mine is hers and what is hers is hers as well lol! . I trust Li Li explicitly and for once in my Life I am an equal in our relationship 50 - 50 which is how it should be.

Li Li wants to find work so she can contribute to our savings and improve our life’s.

Cheers Steve, sounds much like us. Ton, I meant those wives who don't work. It must be quite hard to go from earning a living to being kept.

We use a credit card for everything, even £1 purchase because the bank pay us to use their card. It is very simple then, no keep going to an atm. Han has a few £ cash but only really uses it to buy lottery once a week lol. We avoid using cash.
    Han would also like to get a job and like Li Li, thinks long and hard before she buys clothes - and they must be a bargain! Things like 3 for 2 still confuse her.
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 679
    Where I live : Perth Australia
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

Post by wanneroo on 18/08/11, 01:37 am

I am on a state pension, Mary does not work. She is studying at college the English Language.
    We have a joint account. The working account that is,for food clothes etc she has her own card and pin number. she is keen to work. if she works I would have my pension reduced. I am still on the single pension at the present time. I should be on the couples pension which is only half of the couples rate this is a lower figure. however it is geared to two people drawing the pension which then means a much higher figure then a single pension I have been allowed to stay on the single pension under a special ruling. We had to declare Marys assets,they then pool the resources, In our case there are no assets or monies from Marys side of any importance, My pension is single under this special provision, however it is subject to review
    Mary is provided for entirely by myself, I take her to buy clothes, she is a very careful shopper we buy the groceries together I take her to the Chinese Asian supermarket where she buys her Chinese food once a week
    In short I buy all the things a couple needs, what is mine is Marys, we have no income from Marys side, she is not allowed any assistance from the government for two years, which is the correct thing to do. However refugees get income and housing on arrival in this country,Mary has been brought here by myself I have the full responsibility for her, its like having a child I take care of her totally until she is confident, I spend a lot of time teaching the Western model with the pitfalls etc.
    Mary was wanting to work, however this aspect will affect my pension she would have to earn a lot to overcome the reduction to my pension that would occur, so her primary function is attending college full time to become proficient in the English language, Mary is 60years of age. she would be paid peanuts and ripped off. I don't allow this to happen, I get her influenced by younger Chinese people who think they know all the answers, this has been nipped in the bud by myself,
    We manage quite well living off one income, we budget well, I give some cash to Mary each fortnight which she stashes away Chinese style
    She never wants to use her bankcard without me being with her, it is still locked away in her cupboard she never uses it I gave her the card it is the correct thing to do. she is my Wife
    We are totally one package, I like Mary to have her independence which she can have any time There is a learning curve this is not Nanning this is Perth
    We have to be practical, Marys security is paramount, loving and showing love is what I try to do without being a lovesick individual. I am an older member at 68 years of age Being married to a Chinese woman is very different, cultural differences have to be appreciated,
    It would be so niece to have a large amount of cash to dispose of we don't have this advantage so we live the simple life we have each other

Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 18/08/11, 06:34 am

Both Ying and Ting have had their own bank accounts since they arrived here. Since Ying has been working she has contributed to all household expences and has learn't to read and pay any bills we have. I've done this mainly that should anything happen to me she will be able to handle any day to day expence without panic. We agreed from the word go to this arrangment, to which she agreed without hesitation, 'we are a family' she added. The Chinese ladies are very good at money management and should be involved and contribute, if working, to the family budget.

Chris.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 18/08/11, 07:43 am

Beijing2008 wrote:Steve, I said most of the time she buys special offers.Chinese are crazy about special brands like Ecco.YiXuan buys them, but only below 20€.....You all know the crazy wannahaves in China like Italian bags .[immitations]Louis Vutton f.e.

Beijing I was not having a go at you Neutral .
    Li Li is the same when she see offers in the Supermarket, most of the time we do not want or need but she tries to sway me Laughing .
    When we were in China as Li Li puts it she likes Quality ( to you and me that means expensive lol! ).

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 09:16 am

wanneroo wrote:I am on a state pension, I have been allowed to stay on the single pension under a special ruling.

She never wants to use her bankcard without me being with her, it is still locked away in her cupboard she never uses it I gave her the card it is the correct thing to do. she is my Wife

Thanks wanneroo.

I am suprised to hear about the State Pension arrangement in AU. It is strange that your pension should drop if married when in fact you need more finance.

I also get a 'single pension' but I thought/think that does never change. I believe in the past there used to be an additional amount if you were married (not subject to your wifes age I think), but now as far as I am aware our pensions are entireley separate and are based on the number of contributions each has made over 40 years. (not sure about that figure). If the wife had not made any contributions then she could make a clain based on her husbands contributions.

How does your system work?

Do you let her use your card to get her familiar with paying at a till and speaking to the staff who ask, 'do you want cash back', 'do you need a bag' 'good day' etc? Also the use of an ATM?

Eric
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 09:30 am

luckysteve wrote:
    When we were in China as Li Li puts it she likes Quality ( to you and me that means expensive lol! ).

Hi Steve, Han is the same but quality in respect of the price. She goes out of her way to find the cheapest and then compares it with 'quality'. I keep telling her that I hate the very cheap special 'own brand' 'basics' food, the one in different packaging throughout the supermarket. So I now insist she makes a comparison with the one above that and quality only. She recently got the message!

One thing she mentioned yesterday - English supermarket meat is not good compared to Chinese. It has a different smell (not a good one I gather). Another thing I notice about Han, she has a very sensitive nose and taste buds when it comes to food selection, much more sensitive than my daughter who is very particular with food.

Our Chinese food shop is about the size of my lounge and sell Thai as well as other Asian countries so the Chinese selection is minute. If we want a better selection we have to travel more than 40 miles. (of visit Alan and stay over lol)
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 18/08/11, 12:00 pm

I don't know about pension in other countries but in NL the system is;
    You build up the state pension for 50 yrs, 15-65.so 2 pct a year. Since YiXuan came to NL in 2006, at age 36, she missed 21 yrs. We could do a buy -in ,so we pay for 5 yrs 85 € a month, and she will get at age 65 full state pension.
    Next to that you have a company pensionfund, build up in the yrs you work somewhere.So at age 65 [will be age 67 in 2017]you get both.

For couples the state pension is 2x single pension.Till 2015 the not employed partner will get partnerpension,when you are 65 and if your partner have a job, there is a discount.
    From 2015 the partner gets pension at 65.Unless you already belong to the 65plus group before that date.
    Next to that; when I die before 65 my wife and son get a state allowance.

Pension for a married couples is now around 1250 Euro a month.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 12:42 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:

Pension for a married couples is now around 1250 Euro a month.

So Ton you have a 'married couples' pension rather than individual? Is the 1250 after tax (@)?

I get about £560 a month before tax and that is not basic. We can also get topped up to a certain level but that is means tested so I don't qualify. In fact I think I am one of those unfortunate people who worked all my life and didn't squander, paid into a private pension and now I qualify for no assistance. Whereas other people I know, hardly ever worked, paid nothing into the system but have very close to my income because they pay for nothing now.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 18/08/11, 02:17 pm

i WAS FAR TO LOW, in NL we are well looked after as oldies;
    http://www.svb.nl/int/en/aow/hoogte_aow/bedragen/index.jsp

You live on your own (you are single)
    Monthly amount
    with tax credit without tax credit
    Gross * € 1,074.83 € 1,074.83
    Tax and national insurance contributions € 0.00 € 161.66
    Zvw contribution € 83.29 € 83.29
    Net € 991.54 € 829.88
    * The gross amount includes the KOB top-up for senior taxpayers of € 33.09. If you live outside the Netherlands, you will only get a KOB top-up if at least 90% of your worldwide income is taxable in the Netherlands. The holiday allowance is € 56.98 gross per month and is paid in May of each year.

You live with your child/children under 18 (you are a single parent)
    Monthly amount
    Gross * € 1,354.49 € 1,354.49
    Tax and national insurance contributions € 31.33 € 203.83
    Zvw contribution € 104.97 € 104.97
    Net € 1,218.19 € 1,045.69
    * The gross amount includes the KOB top-up for senior taxpayers of € 33.09. If you live outside the Netherlands, you will only get a KOB top-up if at least 90% of your worldwide income is taxable in the Netherlands. The holiday allowance is € 73.26 gross per month and is paid in May of each year.

You are married or living with a partner
    You and your partner are both over 65
    Monthly amount per person
    Gross * € 748.55 € 748.55
    Tax and national insurance contributions € 0.00 € 112.75
    Zvw contribution € 58.01 € 58.01
    Net € 690.54 € 577.79
    * The gross amount includes the KOB top-up for senior taxpayers of € 33.09. If you live outside the Netherlands, you will only get a KOB top-up if at least 90% of your worldwide income is taxable in the Netherlands. The holiday allowance is € 40.70 gross per month and is paid in May of each year.

Your partner is under 65; you do not receive supplementary allowance
    Monthly amount
    Gross * € 748.55 € 748.55
    Tax and national insurance contributions € 0.00 € 112.75
    Zvw contribution € 58.01 € 58.01
    Net € 690.54 € 577.79
    * The gross amount includes the KOB top-up for senior taxpayers of € 33.09. If you live outside the Netherlands, you will only get a KOB top-up if at least 90% of your worldwide income is taxable in the Netherlands. The holiday allowance is € 40.70 gross per month and is paid in May of each year.

Your partner is under 65; you get the full supplementary allowance
    Monthly amount
    Gross * € 1,464.01 € 1,464.01
    Tax and national insurance contributions € 83.41 € 220.83
    Zvw contribution € 113.46 € 113.46
    Net € 1,267.14 € 1,129.72
    * The gross amount includes the KOB top-up for senior taxpayers of € 33.09. If you live outside the Netherlands, you will only get a KOB top-up if at least 90% of your worldwide income is taxable in the Netherlands. The holiday allowance is € 81.40 gross per month and is paid in May of each year.

Your partner is under 65, your supplementary allowance has been reduced by 10%**
    Monthly amount
    Gross * € 1,392.46 € 1,392.46
    Tax and national insurance contributions € 72.50 € 209.91
    Zvw contribution € 107.91 € 107.91
    Net € 1,212.05 € 1,074.64
    * The gross amount includes the KOB top-up for senior taxpayers of € 33.09. If you live outside the Netherlands, you will only get a KOB top-up if at least 90% of your worldwide income is taxable in the Netherlands. The holiday allowance is € 77.33 gross per month and is paid in May of each year.

** With effect from 1 August 2011, the supplementary allowance will be reduced by a maximum of 10%. This reduction only applies to households with a joint income of € 2,511.02 or more per month.

note; Zvw is basic healthinsurance.

Since you live in China, the income comes from NL, so is taxable totally in NL. Because it is below the tax level, you get tax credit, so net more. cheers
    Beside the National Pension, you have your Company/Labourer-pension.
    In NL we have a website , where you can look at your total amount from all employers during your'active'years ,of you company pension.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 18/08/11, 02:43 pm

wHEN I DIE BEFORE 65;

Anw benefit rates in 2009
    benefit for: per month holiday allowance
    Surviving partner € 1,068 € 68
    Dependent child € 244 € 19
    Orphan up to age 9 € 342 € 21
    Orphan up to age 15 € 513 € 32
    Orphan up to age 20 € 684 € 43
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 18/08/11, 03:19 pm

Eric re the pension in Australia. to qualify for a couples pension, partners have to be 63 for a Woman and 65 for a man You have to have been in Australia for ten years and be an Australian citizen
    Mary is 60years of age no pension is payable, She is a new immigrant so she cannot have access to any social security payment for a period of two years she is married to me and now resides in Australia for two years then we apply for her permanent residence
    Because I am now married I was told I will have my pension dropped to around $544 from a single pension of $725 a fortnight which is one half of the couples rate allowance which is $1000 a fortnight which is the $544 So Mary can go work, she is 60 try getting a job with limited English
    I was expected to support a Wife and myself on the reduced amount, I was told I should have known this before I got married, You see Eric of course if your Wife has assets up in China businesses money in the bank etc, you are expected to live on her assets now she lives with you. or to go out and get a job to supplement the lower rate that my pension was to go down to because she is living with me. I kicked up about this arrangement Mary is a new immigrant and has no assets or money up in China I had to secure what they call a section 24 amendment which I discovered, they didn't tell me about it. I wrote to the Minister in Canberra I wrote to the head of the pensions I just shouted from the rooftops on the unfair method of treating couples We had to provide bank statements from China fill in forms to state Marys situation I have a great dislike of the way you are treated in this country regarding retired pensions . I have worked here for 34 years and paid my taxes I am entitled to my pension, if you get married the problems commence I told them the situation and opened a can of worms If Mary goes to work at all I will be put on one half of the couples rate she would have to bring home a lot to offset the loss I would suffer
    Needless to say I am currently on a single pension which will be reviewed every 13 weeks by more form filling it will never end until Mary is 70 and a citizen which wont ever happen because she will lose her Chinese nationality If Mary wasn't here I would draw the seniors pension until I die with out any questions
    Getting married is not always the best thing to do take heed The Australian Government will see to that, I hope you can follow what i have told you Eric, cheers Geoff
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 18/08/11, 03:32 pm

Eric take a look here, http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/age_rates.htm
    Regards Geoff
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 18/08/11, 03:47 pm

this one will interest you Eric

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-2/ssguide-2.2/ssguide-2.2.5/ssguide-2.2.5.50.html
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 03:59 pm

wanneroo wrote:
    Getting married is not always the best thing to do take heed The Australian Government will see to that, I hope you can follow what i have told you Eric, cheers Geoff

Did you marry blind then? Not knowing about these rules?

You say getting married is not always the best thing to do - you mean to a foreigner don't you?

Actually I am not sure Han will get a State pension as she will not naturalise. Must look that up. I know she can get contribution based job seekers allowance (not income based|) after 2 years residency and as a wife she should get some pension via my contributions. I think in this day and age the would not dare discriminate in the UK.
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 18/08/11, 04:16 pm

I mean getting married to anyone, a Western Person or an Asian person, the same rules apply, I guess find someone around the same age and on a seniors pension you are financially better off if you marry under any other conditions be aware of the difficulties if you are relying on a pension I didn't even consider these rules before marriage I wont allow to be dictated to by bureaucrats whether I am allowed to marry or not.The immigration dept have been very good at allowing Mary to be with her husband in Australia, they are about commitment to each other that's what the visa is about Centrelink our social security are not has charitable towards the Sponsor and his partner when a pension is being paid a different set of rules apply I wish I still worked and was free of government issues the price of getting older I guess
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 18/08/11, 07:24 pm

makem wrote: I know she can get contribution based job seekers allowance (not income based|) after 2 years residency and as a wife she should get some pension via my contributions. I think in this day and age the would not dare discriminate in the UK.

Han would only be entitled to Job Seeker's allowance if she has worked and contributed into the system for at least 26 weeks.

She can earn up to £139 per week before either she or an employer has to make any contributions.

Everyone above state pension age in the UK is entitled to receive a minimum of £137.50 per week.

A single person on £137.50 per week should not be paying any Council Tax.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 18/08/11, 09:05 pm

lol. i just saw AU$ is worth mor than US $... 0.73 to 0.69 to an €
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 18/08/11, 09:56 pm

Hi Ton,
    I've paid in to the UK State Pension (National Insurance) for almost 40 years. How long would I have to live in Holland before I was entitled to the Dutch State Pension and what age would I have to be to collect it?

David
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 10:06 pm

handyal wrote:
    Han would only be entitled to Job Seeker's allowance if she has worked and contributed into the system for at least 26 weeks.

Where did that come from Alan?

I did 2 anonymous general benefit applications using my income as normal and savings of less than £16,000 with Han being Chinese and not working but looking for work. It said she could claim and we could also claim two other benefits.

Another with the same circumstances but savings of much more than the basic allowed. I had the same result - can claim but only the contribution JSA.

Based on what you say, how could anyone who has never worked make a claim? Is there an alternative for such a person? I didn't see any, but then I didn't look.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/08/11, 10:09 pm

handyal wrote:

Everyone above state pension age in the UK is entitled to receive a minimum of £137.50 per week.

A single person on £137.50 per week should not be paying any Council Tax.

How come I get £130 then axed @ 20%? and I pay Council Tax for 2 people.

Also I read £102 here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_193032

and here:

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/how-much-will-you-get

If you want all the allowances:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_193028.pdf

The maximum basic State Pension your wife could get using your National Insurance record is £61.20 per week. This amount includes any basic State Pension of her own. £61.20 is the rate that applies in 2011/12; it normally changes each April. If she's built up any additional State Pension she'll get this on top.

Can't give a link to that but it was part of a ficticious pension profile for me.
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by wanneroo on 19/08/11, 01:47 am

What are the rules in the UK pension scheme for say my situation? you bring your Wife to the UK on the settlement visa you are married now. your wife does not work she has just arrived What will the state pension rate be now for a married man with a Chinese Wife? seeing we are doing comparisons I thought I would ask. I have looked at the State pension for the UK on the website. it is somewhat over the top with lots of info I cant really find what I was looking for. Any assistance would be welcome. Geoff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 08:37 am