1. Filling form

2. Validation

The following individuals have been registered:
    Information
    HAN RUQING G2307505X 2011-09-24

3. Deposit your application at the TLScontact center

Your postal application has been received today at 10:44 by TLScontact

4. Documentation

Your application has been submitted today at 15:24. Your file will be transferred to the Consulate shortly.
    Information
    HAN RUQING G2307505X 2011-09-24

5. (Pending) Transfer to Consulate-General of France in London

6. (Not yet done) Instruction

7. (Not yet done) Passport return

I suppose number 5 means they have checked and documents are in order (hopefully).

I suppose number 6 means the decision yay or nay

The service TLS offer seems very efficient. I have seen other companies on web pages offering to get a French SV but I notice they all say that they will send to TLS somehwere on the web page. They charge 65 plus, TLS charge 28
    Derek
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 291
    Where I live : Blackpool
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-02-18

Re: Marriage documents and Schengen Visa

Post by Derek on 09/09/11, 08:55 am

Hi Eric

Can you tell me what documents you had to send with the application to TLS.

Derk
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 09/09/11, 10:17 am

Derek wrote:Hi Eric

Can you tell me what documents you had to send with the application to TLS.

Derk

For a Spouse Visa from the French Embassy via the TLS Contect web page:

(You can also arrange an appointment via TLS to apply direct to the Embassy)

1. Two photos, one must be attached to the application form
    2. Application form signed in TWO places
    3. Debit note - to allow them to take money from your debit card (Credit cards attract a charge)
    4. Self addressed A4 envolope - I used the free plastic ones supplied by Royal Mail for there signed for service.
    5. Passport, original plus passport copy (3 month validity beyound visa date and 2 blank pages)
    6. Old passports, original plus old passport copy.
    7. British residence permit original (Spouse Visa), 3 months validity beyond visa application plus copy
    8. Valid passport of your spouse (etc), original plus copy
    9. Official proof of relationship original plus copy
    10. Civil marriage certificate original plus copy plus translation, in French or English, stamped by the FO or the issuing country or it's Embassy in the UK. If married in UK in Church, must be paired with official GRO registration. Copies of above.

Those are the minimum docs to send.

NB. All copies must be A4 format.

In addition I sent:

1. Hotel booking via agent plus confirmation email from the hotel
    2. One month current account bank statement from current or last month plus copy
    3. Itinerary including vehicle information for journey.
    4. Two copies of Han's previous tourist visa.
    5. Two copies of Han's passport information page. (blank page in her case)
    6. Two copies of the page in her passport showing dates and references of previous visas. (One was a refusal)

The above are required for a 'non spouse' visa so although maybe OTT for a spouse visa I thought if the SV failed maybe she could get a visa in her own right, similar to Graham's partner.

I didn't send confirmed travel docs because it is to close to the ferry sailing date to get a full refund if we cannot go. I can get a hotel full refund up to 24 hours before arrival. The travel docs are required for an 'own right' SV.

The marriage translation was the white 'folder' you get which has copies of your wifes marriage book, the statement of marriage in Chinese and it's translation into English. Red stamps where necessary and an embossed star through all pages. It was not stamped by the FO as required (10 above).

Today TLS told us on their web page that the file was sent to the French Embassy at 08.11 today and may take 10 days or longer.

If we get this visa I am hoping that it is multi entry. If so we will take one or two trips to warm places (maybe Madeira and Barcelona) before we go to Malaysia.

So..............I need to bend your ear about flights as I am told you are the flight guru. Smile

Can you tell us what documents (If different to above) you submitted please.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 09/09/11, 05:25 pm

Derek wrote:

Ps: Eric, I do not understand your question as there is only one application form, there is no choice for spouse application or individual application forms.

I meant did you ask for a spouse visa, but having spoken to you I now know you did.

Yes there is only one form but on that form you can apply for various visas. eg. a tourist visa in your wifes name rather than as a your spouse. I know you must then pay but it could be a back stop if a spouse visa was refused on grounds of inadequate marriage document evidence.

I was surprised when you told me that they just wanted to see your red marriage books without any notorized translation.

Today the TLS web page told use that the passport had been returned to TLS by the Embassy and was awaiting return to us.

No indication if the visa was granted or refused Sad
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 10/09/11, 11:40 am

Eric, your translated, legalised China marriage book,had been legalised by MFA and UK Embassy. That is sufficient for France.If a Chinese has a Schengen visa, there is no need to be accompanied by EC partner.
    Mariage is also registered in UK, so that document can be added.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 12:09 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:Eric, your translated, legalised China marriage book,had been legalised by MFA and UK Embassy. That is sufficient for France.If a Chinese has a Schengen visa, there is no need to be accompanied by EC partner.

Hi Ton,

The UK Embassy have never seen the translated marriage book. Who is MFA? The marriage is not registered in the UK. If the Chinese wife has a Schengen Visa applied for as a spouse then I thought she must be accompanied by the spouse?
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 10/09/11, 12:47 pm

makem wrote:
    Beijing2008 wrote:Eric, your translated, legalised China marriage book,had been legalised by MFA and UK Embassy. That is sufficient for France.If a Chinese has a Schengen visa, there is no need to be accompanied by EC partner.

Hi Ton,

The UK Embassy have never seen the translated marriage book. Who is MFA? The marriage is not registered in the UK. If the Chinese wife has a Schengen Visa applied for as a spouse then I thought she must be accompanied by the spouse?

For getting a ILR you did deliver your Chinese marriage deed/book; that must have been legalised /TRANSLATED in China by NP[ Notary Public],legalised by MFA, ]Ministry of Foreign Affairs] and British [or depending where you live,other nationality] Embassy.

In General, you register in your own country your foreign marriage.f.e. for tax refund and national registration.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 03:11 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:

For getting a ILR you did deliver your Chinese marriage deed/book; that must have been legalised /TRANSLATED in China by NP[ Notary Public],legalised by MFA, ]Ministry of Foreign Affairs] and British [or depending where you live,other nationality] Embassy.

In General, you register in your own country your foreign marriage.f.e. for tax refund and national registration.

After marriage, for UK pouse visa, we took both origimal marriage books to the Visao office in Beijing. They did whatever they need to do and returned them to us with a visa later.

About 9 months later we had the marriage books translated and notorized at an office In Zhengzhou.

In the Uk, as far as I know, if you register your marriage you deposit your marriage books with the Registery Office in London and are given an English translation. You can get further translation (at a cost I presume), but can never get the actual books back. This may cause a problem when proving marriage in China, should the need arise. I am told you cannot get duplicate marriage books, only a certificate, if for example, your books are lost.

I have just found out that we have a long time friend in Beijing, who now works at the Chinese Foreign Office. That may be handy in the future. In the past he always got our train and plane tickets for us. His English is quite good and we always have a chat when we are in the City. He brought us gifts when he came to the UK recently, so now we must find appropriate gifts for him Sad
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 10/09/11, 04:10 pm

You must insist to get the marriage books back.Or exchange them with legalised copy.
    Normally you follow the procedure I have pointed out many times; after marriage you go to Notary Public with marriage deed, they translate and legalise ,then you go to MFA for legalisation signature NP, and then your national Embassy legalises the signature of the MFA.
    THAT is standard procedure, also in 2011.

You DID have the choice to deliver legalised/translated copy;
    http://ukinchina.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-china/Registering-a-marriage/Marriage-deposits;
    At UK Embassy/Consulate;
    Please bring the following supporting documents with you:

your original marriage certificate or a certified copy(will NOT be returned to you);
    a translation of your marriage certificate (We will send this together with your marriage certificate to the GRO in UK as permanent record and will NOT be returned );
    your British passport (will be returned to you the same day) ; and
    your postal address in China or UK;

In NL we have the same option, but here you send a certified copy, or original, wich will be sent back.
    AND is free of charge..... tongue
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 04:43 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:You must insist to get the marriage books back.Or exchange them with legalised copy.
    Normally you follow the procedure I have pointed out many times; after marriage you go to Notary Public with marriage deed, they translate and legalise ,then you go to MFA for legalisation signature NP, and then your national Embassy legalises the signature of the MFA.
    THAT is standard procedure, also in 2011.

You DID have the choice to deliver legalised/translated copy;
    http://ukinchina.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-china/Registering-a-marriage/Marriage-deposits;
    At UK Embassy/Consulate;
    Please bring the following supporting documents with you:

your original marriage certificate or a certified copy(will NOT be returned to you);
    a translation of your marriage certificate (We will send this together with your marriage certificate to the GRO in UK as permanent record and will NOT be returned );
    your British passport (will be returned to you the same day) ; and
    your postal address in China or UK;

In NL we have the same option, but here you send a certified copy, or original, wich will be sent back.
    AND is free of charge..... tongue

Check this site which says:

The General Register Office (GRO) does not release original documents once deposited.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Marriagesandcivilpartnerships/DG_175716

Yes, I could have taken a notorized copy of our marriage books to the VAC in Beijing but we chose not to. The reason for this choice was that the VAC offer all services under one roof and therefore you can be confident that any documents one department produces, will be acceptable by the next. We did slip up in the we forgot to ask for a copy as suggested in this forum.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 04:47 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:then you go to MFA for legalisation signature NP, and then your national Embassy legalises the signature of the MFA.

Do you know in which cities these MFA offices are?

I spoke to Han about it, thats when I found we had a friend who worked there. She seemed to think that these offices were very very high offices and was unsure if we would be allowed in! Apparently the one in Beijing is peopled by leaders of the country!
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 10/09/11, 05:43 pm

Eric,

Your marriage books are already stamped with the stamp of the Municipal Office for Foreign Marriage Registration which is an Office of Foreign Affairs! The English translation is only required for the British Embassy or for the likes of an SV application. because your marriage certificate (books) are in another language.

If you didn't have your original marriage books and only had an English translation, then the translation would have to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Beijing.

If you have your original Chinese marriage certificate (books) then they are authenticated by the Chinese Foreign Office.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 10/09/11, 06:23 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:If a Chinese has a Schengen visa, there is no need to be accompanied by EC partner.

A Chinese citizen can get a Schengen Visa from their own Country without the need to be accompanied by an EU citizen, but if they are already in the UK on any kind of UK Visa they can only get a Schengen Visa if they are accompanied by, or meeting an EU citizen in the Schengen area. The EU citizen must be a family member.

i.e. Spouse, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister.

Last edited by handyal on 10/09/11, 06:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 10/09/11, 06:28 pm

Why on Earth would you want to register your Chinese Marriage in UK? Your marriage in China is valid in UK without registering it here.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 06:55 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:Why on Earth would you want to register your Chinese Marriage in UK? Your marriage in China is valid in UK without registering it here.

The only reason as I see it is to be able to get readily accepted English documents.

As you say, it would in my opinion be more trouble than it is worth.

PS. Don't forget to let me know when you are settled so we can come pay you a visit Very Happy

I hope you have a safe pleasant journey on the 11th.

Last edited by makem on 10/09/11, 07:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to remind my tour guide about visiting Africa ;))
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 07:03 pm

handyal wrote:Eric,

Your marriage books are already stamped with the stamp of the Municipal Office for Foreign Marriage Registration which is an Office of Foreign Affairs! The English translation is only required for the British Embassy or for the likes of an SV application. because your marriage certificate (books) are in another language.

If you didn't have your original marriage books and only had an English translation, then the translation would have to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Beijing.

If you have your original Chinese marriage certificate (books) then they are authenticated by the Chinese Foreign Office.

I have and never have had any problem with that.

All I have done is mention the requirements stated on the French site for a Schengen Visa and ask if anyone had any info or had any problem.

BTW Han's application has been dealt with and we await it's return. I may if I get time, phone TLS and ask if they can give a verbal result so we can get on with the ferry booking.

If we get the visa we are joining up with Derek for a trip to Madeira 17th Oct. Why don't you join us? After that, mainland Spain or one of the islands for a week. How about joining us there? For a real adventure, join us late Nov. in Malaysia and S/Pore touring by car, but thats for a month.

I am not concerened about what the UKBA may say about not being in the UK as we are together and can prove it.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 10/09/11, 08:03 pm

makem wrote:
    Beijing2008 wrote:then you go to MFA for legalisation signature NP, and then your national Embassy legalises the signature of the MFA.

Do you know in which cities these MFA offices are?

I spoke to Han about it, thats when I found we had a friend who worked there. She seemed to think that these offices were very very high offices and was unsure if we would be allowed in! Apparently the one in Beijing is peopled by leaders of the country!

in every province municipality; In Nanning is one.Legalisation of a NP always must be legalised by the provincial MFA.Since only they know the NP in that province, and their signature.

About registration of foreign marriage in your home country,like UK GRO ; if you need later a official, legalised excerpt of original, you get one free of charge.[In NL free of charge,lol]
    F.e for mortgage ,last will,divorce etc.

Graham
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 526
    Where I live : Weifang, Friendly Shandong
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2011-02-25

Post by Graham on 10/09/11, 10:19 pm

makem wrote:
    handyal wrote:Eric,

I have and never have had any problem with that.

All I have done is mention the requirements stated on the French site for a Schengen Visa and ask if anyone had any info or had any problem.

BTW Han's application has been dealt with and we await it's return. I may if I get time, phone TLS and ask if they can give a verbal result so we can get on with the ferry booking.

If we get the visa we are joining up with Derek for a trip to Madeira 17th Oct. Why don't you join us? After that, mainland Spain or one of the islands for a week. How about joining us there? For a real adventure, join us late Nov. in Malaysia and S/Pore touring by car, but thats for a month.

I am not concerened about what the UKBA may say about not being in the UK as we are together and can prove it.
    [i]
    They won't tell you if you got the visa or not over the phone.
    We tried, and just had to wait until said passport arrived back.

Graham Weifang
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 10/09/11, 10:53 pm

Graham wrote:
    They won't tell you if you got the visa or not over the phone.
    We tried, and just had to wait until said passport arrived back.

Graham Weifang

I thought you applied in China via the French Embassy Graham. Do TLS work from there too?
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 12/09/11, 05:38 pm

Latest informaton from TLS:

Your passport has been handed to DX company for them to hand it back to the person and address indicated during submission. Please contact DX company if you have any problem during this stage.
    VF ref Name Passport deliver date Express mail ref
    1159746 HAN, RUQING G2307505x 2011-09-12 1023700650

Track your DX delivery online We delete from our servers all your personal information 5 days after passport handed to DX company.

According to TLS they handed over the bundle at 1300 today.

The Delivery company DX do not at 1830 today, have any record of having collected it!

They say it may not get scanned into there system until 2000 today and I should phone at 0700 tomorrow.

Asked at what time they would decide it had been lost, they said if not on record at 0700 tomorrow.

So, we wait.

Iv'e never heard of this company. It seems that the Royal Mail Special delivery bag I sent has been ignored. Royal Mail charged 5.90 and it was there the next day. These people charge 8 and can't say if they have it yet. Maybe TLS get a kickback.

http://www.thedx.co.uk/

Graham, you were correct, when I rang TLS to ask about the passport return I also asked if they could say whether Han was successfull or not. The answer - we don't have access to that information.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 13/09/11, 07:56 am

As recognised expert Wink I received this new EC/EER regulation for Chinese and other Asian countries,about documents required for visa applications;
    http://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/doc_centre/borders/docs/decision/5500/1_EN_ACT_part1_v4.pdf .I will open other topic with full text.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 13/09/11, 09:49 am

Today Han received a multi entry Schengen visa valid for 1 year. It had been returned to TLS by the French Embassy inside a sealed envolope. Hence the reason why TLS could not say if successfull.

When we applied for the visa the application asked us to send an A4 envolope for return. We decided to send a Royal Mail Next day signed for plastic bag.

When the documents were returned they were inside a heat sealed plastic envolope. The RM bag had not been returned, nor had the plastic wallet in which we put the documents avoid them being damaged.

I can confirm the the marriage book and the white 'folder' with the notorized marriage translation was enough evidence to get the visa. I cannot say if the untranslated marriage books would have been sufficient. However, Derek did not need the white folder for a visa to Portugal.

The TLS fee was 24.56 plus 8.00 for the postage.

France and Madeira here we come Smile
    Derek
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 291
    Where I live : Blackpool
    Registration date : 2008-02-18

Post by Derek on 13/09/11, 10:01 am

Eric and Han

Congratulations Han on receiving your SV Very Happy

Look forward to meeting you soon

Derk
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 13/09/11, 04:03 pm

I never had any doubts Han would get her Visa.

Enjoy your holiday(s).
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 13/09/11, 04:13 pm

handyal wrote:I never had any doubts Han would get her Visa.

Enjoy your holiday(s).

Thanks Alan.

Are you going to keep a sticky somewhere listing the documents and TLS service?

I think it may be a good idea to keep the information for all visas for our wives when we travel. Eg., I need some information for 2 more non EU countries later and a help file may be of use.

I have a link somewhere to a list of all the countries where a wife would not need a visa. Most are exotic and costly or places we would rather not go lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:40 am