Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 357
    Where I live : Bath U.K.
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2008-02-20

Today is a Good Day

Post by pronto on 24/09/11, 12:16 pm

So John Cleese ( alias the Ministry of Silly Walks) has a second alias ( The Ministry of Silly Talks), and,, as a supporter of proportional representation, he would doubtless support the proper political representation of muslims and blacks, amongst others, in this vibrant cosmopolitan city of ours (London), in the (admittedly) currently unlikely event that PR were on offer.
    see :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8279180/David-Cameron-impresses-John-Cleese-with-his-good-manners.html
    The actor and writer was drawn to the Liberal Democrats because he believed in proportional representation. I wanted to get better people into Parliament, he has said.

He obviously likes David Cameron for his 'courtesy' but is not so courteous himself towards
    those who don't look like him and DC.

So amongst his 'better people', no doubt, would be the muslims and the blacks.
    (These thoughts originate from the Ministry of Silly Suggestions of course)

See following Quote ( which goes back in time a bit) :-

http://www.salaam.co.uk/themeofthemonth/september03_index.php?l=66
    re London Mayoral & Assembly Elections 2008 Archive

The election of the London Mayor and London Assembly members - the political leadership of the capital city for the next four years - is a choice between a bright vision of a sharing community that celebrates its cultural, ethnic and religious diversity, and the monochrome London of the Alf Garnett days.'

'Soumaya Ghannoushi writes....
    What is at stake on May 1 is the spirit of this vibrant cosmopolitan city with its unique mix of races and cultures and its vision of itself - nothing less.
    The Guardian, 16th April 2008'

By the way it must have been a 'hoot' for people to see JC striding around ( Silly Walking around) in Australia and to listening to his Silly Talks.

Further thought:- why did he have to go so far away from London and the UK to make his remarks? -was he counting on 'safety' by reason of distance and remoteness?' alien
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 313
    Where I live : Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-01-30

Re: Today is a GOOD Day

Post by slowheel on 24/09/11, 08:03 pm

Hi Steve, Yes mate only joking Very Happy the more I get to know Alice the more comments I read on this site ( from most people) about their wife etc I realise how very hard it must be for our ladies to adapt and also get a handle on the English language, you guys are way ahead of me as in your wife's are with you, I have that to look forward to, and this forum and you guys have been a great help and a good information education source for me.

slow.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 25/09/11, 01:25 am

Slow, you'll be amazed at the determination of some Chinese ladies and the lengths they go to learn English, regardless of their age. I can't see your wife being any different. Help her at every opportunity, correct her when she makes a mistake, animate the pronunciation with your mouth, be patient, laugh with each other when translations go wrong. There's a joke about giving English 'lessons' whilst in bed, but in fact it's a good place, you're relaxed, Introducing a new word and a phrase which includes that word,...(OK,you guys, settle down.LOL)... has helped Ying a lot. New into the country is also the best time to explain Australian 'customs' and manners, just say, while you are here I will tell you if you do something that is regarded as not 'nice' to, or, what is expected from other western people and when I'm in China you must tell me if I do something wrong.Both Ying and Ting were very receptive to this.....I'm dreading our holiday in January! (That's a BIG LOL.)

Cheers,
    Chris.
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 25/09/11, 02:10 am

Thank's Chris, yes we do English on skpye almost every day twice on Saturdays and Sundays, it is always just fun I never push or try to correct to much, it is very relaxed no pressure then Alice finds it just good fun, and very slowly she is learning new words even a few sentences, I am not going worry to much about her ability till she is here then we can do a bit more work together, I understand the process involved learning a language I lived and worked in Germany for 4 years so know how very isolated you can feel and how slowly you seem to come forward with learning the language,

But of course when she is here she will have me, and feel only warmth and love.

slow
    wanneroo
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 679
    Where I live : Perth Australia
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

Post by wanneroo on 25/09/11, 02:24 am

Chris I assist and help Mary all the time, as you well know it never stops, I feel I am learning the English language again,what we take for granted in our own language is something that we come aware of when questions abound from an older person learning this language, I however feel that for someone of Marys age to be sort of fluent will never come, English has been taught to Mary well before I met her in 2009, its incomprehensible to expect a older Chines person to grasp this stupid language, with the amount of words and spelling meaning different meanings, they need to have conversationalist English, Mary translates every written word back to Chinese so she can understand what is being said, without her trusted electronic translator she would find things very difficult. I have found the amount of written words in excess of oral work at her college I ask our teacher friends in Nanning from our membership to comment regarding the strategy of teaching methods employed at an older age, not 7 year old kids, we have to be patient and understand with a lot of tolerance, we are dealing with a different culture it will never be boring, that's why I married a Chinese lady, I have given Mary some Cds that speak in conversationalist English, with no contamination of accents, with clear annunciation its on all the time, sometimes it does my head in listening to it all the time, Slow please have tolerance the frustrations of communication can have a negative feel about them, and you want to scream, My TV watching is limited, I get constant interruptions, the amount of written work appears excessive homework, I have to scratch my head at times to understand what some of these teachers expect in written homework,
    I take Mary to the shops, She gets spoken to at the checkouts, she never answers, because the Oz accent is not understandable and is quietly spoken, they shout at one another in a Chinese supermarkets I have experienced this first hand
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 25/09/11, 08:10 am

Hi Slow when Alice comes to Australia, you will be the HAPPIEST Man in the world of that I have no doubt.
    You are both very Lucky, You for having the commonsense to find the LOVE of a Beautiful Chinese Lady and Alice for picking a Good kind caring Man who will give her unconditional LOVE through thick and thin.
    Chris Says " What you give to a Chinese Lady you will receive back ten times ". I honestly think he made a mistake and left out a zero ( o ). It should read 100 lol! .

It is not easy for them at all to try and learn the Language our ways customs and everything else. They leave everything behind that they have know all their Lives Family Friends even Daughters and Sons.
    To give credit to them all, THEY DO . They really do put us to shame, and with time understanding and Love plus lots of laughter you will get there. The rewards of having real Love far out way any little problems that possibly will crop up from time to time.
    I am still on honeymoon at the moment and from speaking to some other members they are as well lol! .
    I have never know happiness like this before and I will do everything in my power to keep our marriage like it is now ( PERFECT ).

I should point out the tittle of the post < Today is a Good Day >
    Every day with Li Li is GOOD lol!.
    Steve and Li Li Very Happy Smile .

Last edited by luckysteve on 25/09/11, 08:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    slowheel
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male

Post by slowheel on 25/09/11, 08:33 am

Thank's Steve mate for you very kind words,I understand everything you say and I agree with you wholeheartedly, Alice attitude and honest openness in our relationship is very rewarding, I intend to look after her she is a special lady,,

slow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 07:13 am