Male
    Number of posts : 77
    Where I live : Nottingham England
    I have visited China : 1 time
    Registration date : 2010-12-15

renewing chinese passport in the UK

Post by paulnottingham on 28/09/11, 12:10 pm

Hi all,

Are there any companies that can do this via post or does my wife need to take two days off work to go to London to do this?

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: renewing chinese passport in the UK

Post by davidmckendrick on 28/09/11, 12:22 pm

My son had to go in person to apply for a new Chinese Passport to the Chinese Consulate in Edinburgh so they could do his biometrics. I don't know if the rules are different for renewing a passport that has not been lost? When they said it would take 20 working days I thought they would take 4 weeks but it was much much longer. Who knew they only work one day a week??? The Chinese passports are actually printed in France. He also had to go to the Consulate to collect his new passport because they would not post it. The rules may be different in England. Is the Chinese Consulate in Manchester closer than London?

David
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 28/09/11, 05:36 pm

Paul,

The information on how to renew your Chinese passport is unfortunately all in Chinese, but your wife should be able to follow it.

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/chn/lsfw/hzlxz/blxz/t572686.htm

Read this previous topic for more information:

http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t2053-if-you-are-renewing-your-wife-s-chinese-passport-in-the-uk-an-update?highlight=chinese+passport

If she has been in the UK for 2 years or more then the Chinese Embassy may require a confirmation letter from the British Embassy that she hasn't taken British citizenship while she has been in the UK. The Chinese don't accept dual nationality.

Personally I'd make a quick call to the Chinese Consulate in Manchester if you want to understand the whole process, unless of course your Chinese is up to scratch. scratch

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 28/09/11, 06:41 pm

handyal wrote:Paul,

The information on how to renew your Chinese passport is unfortunately all in Chinese, but your wife should be able to follow it.

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/chn/lsfw/hzlxz/blxz/t572686.htm

Read this previous topic for more information:

http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t2053-if-you-are-renewing-your-wife-s-chinese-passport-in-the-uk-an-update?highlight=chinese+passport

If she has been in the UK for 2 years or more then the Chinese Embassy may require a confirmation letter from the British Embassy that she hasn't taken British citizenship while she has been in the UK. The Chinese don't accept dual nationality.

Personally I'd make a quick call to the Chinese Consulate in Manchester if you want to understand the whole process, unless of course your Chinese is up to scratch. scratch

how would you prove you have not taken up english citizenship (she couldnt actually as we have only been married less than a year) but how would one prove that?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 28/09/11, 07:06 pm

She would have to apply for British citizenship through the UKBA which is part of the Home Office. The British Embassy can check records to find if she has applied for BC and if she had a British passport.

The Chinese Embassy request a letter from the British Embassy stating that she has not applied for BC before they will renew her Chinese passport. They won't renew it until they have that proof. ('s again). You shouldn't need it because she hasn't been in the UK long enough to qualify.

Some Chinese have taken British citizenship but don't want to surrender their Chinese nationality. You can renew a Chinese passport in China without any questions being asked, it's illegal by Chinese laws because you actually have dual nationality, but it's not breaking any of our laws.

In this case always use your Chinese passport to enter China and return to the UK, never your British passport, which can only be used for trips to Europe or other destinations except China.

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 28/09/11, 07:10 pm

handyal wrote:She would have to apply for British citizenship through the UKBA which is part of the Home Office. The British Embassy can check records to find if she has applied for BC and if she had a British passport.

The Chinese Embassy request a letter from the British Embassy stating that she has not applied for BC before they will renew her Chinese passport. They won't renew it until they have that proof. ('s again). You shouldn't need it because she hasn't been in the UK long enough to qualify.

Some Chinese have taken British citizenship but don't want to surrender their Chinese nationality. You can renew a Chinese passport in China without any questions being asked, it's illegal by Chinese laws because you actually have dual nationality, but it's not breaking any of our laws.

In this case always use your Chinese passport to enter China and return to the UK, never your British passport, which can only be used for trips to Europe or other destinations except China.

although we have been married less than a year she has been in the uk for 7 years (styddy and work) - would we still be ok without the letter?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 28/09/11, 07:46 pm

She would have to be in the UK for 3 years as the partner of a British citizen before she qualified to apply for BC, (provided she already had ILR) so they shouldn't require a letter. They will ask you for a letter if needed, but I'd argue she doesn't need it because she hasn't been in the UK long enough.

I can't remember the fee the BE charge for issuing a letter, but it's not cheap!

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 28/09/11, 07:48 pm

handyal wrote:She would have to be in the UK for 3 years as the partner of a British citizen before she qualified to apply for BC, (provided she already had ILR) so they shouldn't require a letter. They will ask you for a letter if needed, but I'd argue she doesn't need it because she hasn't been in the UK long enough.

I can't remember the fee the BE charge for issuing a letter, but it's not cheap!

ok thanks - you dont happen to know how long in advance we can apply for a new passport do you as many countries insist on 6 months being valid on a passport when you travel there?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 29/09/11, 06:21 am

For a UK passport you can apply at any time. Any time left on your old passport will be added to your new passport.

I would assume you can apply for a replacement Chinese passport at any time, just the same.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 29/09/11, 07:48 am

You can apply for a new or replacement Chinese Passport at any time but don't make any travel plans for a few months as it took 20 weeks for my son's new passport to be issued.

aeothoneoeth
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 324
    Where I live : Wolverhampton
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2006-11-15

Post by aeothoneoeth on 29/09/11, 09:59 am

My wife has just renewed her Chinese passport.

Current passport to have less than 6 months remaining

Proof on NON ACQUISITION of British passport.
    cost 70 allow 3 weeks

Application Form (there are many) my wife filled the wrong one but they were helpful at the embassy.

Photo's don't bother with the local booths they have to be taken at the Embassy 6

Attend in person to apply. (not 100% sure of this )

We got Chinese Visa Direct to collect and return to us
    We sent collect stub to them by special delivery and they collected and returned by special delivery.

Very reasonable 50 includes 30 passport fee paid on collection and special delivery cost.

Hope this helps

Douglas

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 29/09/11, 12:43 pm

Hi Douglas,
    How long did the process take for your wife's passport?

paulnottingham

Male

Post by paulnottingham on 29/09/11, 01:35 pm

aeothoneoeth wrote:My wife has just renewed her Chinese passport.

Current passport to have less than 6 months remaining

Proof on NON ACQUISITION of British passport.
    cost 70 allow 3 weeks

Application Form (there are many) my wife filled the wrong one but they were helpful at the embassy.

Photo's don't bother with the local booths they have to be taken at the Embassy 6

Attend in person to apply. (not 100% sure of this )

We got Chinese Visa Direct to collect and return to us
    We sent collect stub to them by special delivery and they collected and returned by special delivery.

Very reasonable 50 includes 30 passport fee paid on collection and special delivery cost.

Hope this helps

Douglas

6 months - mingming says it can be renewed with less than 12 months remaining???

can anybody clarify this?
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 29/09/11, 05:16 pm

This is the translated page from the Chinese Embassy website relating to renewing a Chinese passport.

First, apply for a new passport
    2009/07/14

Remember: If you apply for a new passport, I need you to submit applications in person to the embassy, ​​but the evidence can be commissioned with a single generation of evidence obtained.
    (A) If your passport is valid less than 12 months or less than the visa page 2 sheets 4 surface, or significant changes in your appearance, or your passport has been severely damaged, or your passport has expired, we recommend that you first to the embassy to apply for replacement passports.
    You need the following materials:
    1 , pre-fill in the " People's Republic of passport / travel document / application form back to prove "
    2 , please click on ( photo required ) view.
    3 , the original and current passport with a photograph that a copy (original to be completed after the new license void return, a copy retained by the Embassy)
    4 , a valid visa or residence in the British original documents and copies (originals will be returned by the staff to view, copy retained by the Embassy)
    Above 1 - 4 items you must provide the material.
    5 , pre-fill " the British Embassy in the applicant passport verification (identification) of the table " (the original passport has been damaged not only identify the case)
    6 , copy of passport page extension (an extension of only passport done)
    7 , filling page photocopy of passport (passport only did raise the case name)
    8 , looks to change the transitional period photos (only the case of significant changes in appearance)

9 , not yet three years of continuous residence in the British documentary proof of the original or the British Home Office ( HOME OFFICE ) did not join the United Kingdom issued by the original proof of citizenship (for permanent residency has been made ​​in the UK case). Both documents must be issued from the file date of 2 months of use, please re-issuance of expired
    More than 5 - 9 items according to your own situation to provide essential materials for the selective.
    The time required for accreditation and charges (the delay due to special causes, the Embassy is not responsible for):
    Your original passport valid for less than 12 months or less than the visa page 2 sheets 4 surface or due to significant changes in appearance to apply for renewal of passport renewal is called normal. This situation usually takes 20 working days. Cost of 30 pounds. No additional urgent.
    Your previous passport has been damaged or because expired passport or other reasons is different from the passport renewal application has been referred to as non-normal renewal. This situation usually takes 35 working days. Cost 65 pounds. No additional urgent.
    (B) If you do not have a valid UK visa or residence permit in Britain, you would like to replace the new passport, please prepare the following materials:
    1 , pre-fill in the " People's Republic of passport / travel document / application form back to prove "
    2 , duly completed in advance , " the British Embassy in the applicant passport verification (identification) of the table . "
    3 , please click on ( photo required ) view.
    4 , present the original passport and a photograph with a copy of that page (a new license to be completed after the original void returned, a copy retained by the Embassy)

5 , a certificate issued by the British Home Office that you are in the process or about to get legal visas or residence of the original materials (documents must be issued from the date of 2 months use, expired, please re-issued)
    The time required for accreditation and charges (the delay due to special causes, the Embassy is not responsible for):
    In this case, your application has been referred to as non-renewal of normal passport renewal. Usually takes 35 working days. Cost 65 pounds. No additional urgent.
    (C) If you do not have a valid UK visa or residence permit valid in the United Kingdom, and you can not provide (b) section 5 items materials, the Embassy will provide you for the "China travel card", so that you hold in Britain Chinese legal documents. Refer to " six, Chinese travel permit . "
    (D) If you are eager to return home, may also apply for "Chinese travel permit." See "Six, China travel document " .
    (E) If you are for your 18 years of age minor children apply for a new passport, please according to your minor children of the control mentioned in (a) to (d) requires that choose to provide appropriate materials, press "Second, the new-born Ertong or 18 years of age to apply for or renew passports "in paragraph (a) requires to provide the first 4 , 5 , 7 , 8 items described materials. Please note that you and your spouse are required to minor children in your signature on the passport application form.
    Above in the "passport" refer to "ordinary passport."
    (F) If you are holding official passports, official passports ordinary passports apply for a new kind, you need not only under subsection (a) provides that provide materials, the need to send units agree to provide domestic issue a new passport for your approval letter. Embassy of the time required for accreditation can not be determined due to special circumstances. Documents completed, the Embassy will notify you receive telephone. Cost 15 pounds. No additional urgent.
    (G) If you are holding official passports, official passports ordinary passports and apply for renewal of general in the British holding a valid visa or residence permit, you need not only under subsection (a) provides that provide materials, but also need to submit a written application for renewal of passport reasons. Embassy of the time required for your accreditation application for special circumstances could not be determined. Documents completed, the Embassy will notify you receive telephone. Cost 30 pounds. No additional urgent.
    (H) If you are holding official passports, official passports ordinary passports and not apply for renewal of the British general a valid visa or residence permit, you were mentioned in (b) to (d) requires that choose to provide appropriate materials, taking also submit a written application for renewal of passport reasons. Embassy of the time required for your accreditation application for special circumstances could not be determined. Documents completed, the Embassy will notify you receive telephone. Cost 65 pounds. No additional urgent.

Note: The above shall be interpreted by the embassy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Photo requirements are as follows.

Passport / travel document / passport photo requirements in Hong Kong
    2009/10/12

A bid for People's Republic of China passport and travel documents

(A) Embassy of the system permits the use of digital photos, digital documents, pictures and provide labor services. Applicants need to submit the normal application window passports and travel permit application, received by staff after review, with a single and photographic evidence to the consular section identifies the B floor lobby area photographic camera, and camera fee per person to pay 6 pounds (including 4 sheets printed photos).
    ( b) of the digital photo requirements are as follows, for reference:
    1 , facing a small two-inch passport photos hat color ( 48 33 mm, Portrait head width should be 21-22 mmBetween the length of the head should be in the 28-30 mmBetween).
      2 , photo background is white.
      3 , picture color distribution, soft colors.
      4 , newborn child photos eyes to be positive, the proportion of moderate head.
      Second, the bid to host the HKSAR e-passport and e-Identity for Visa Purposes
      1 , positive hat color passport photos (50 mm40 mm, Portrait head length should be 32-36 mmBetween).
      2 , photographs should be glossy photo paper, photo background should be white.
      3 , newborn child photos eyes to be positive, the proportion of moderate head.

Note: The photos do not meet this standard, and the remake produced by the photos, black and white photos or color printer to print out pictures of the embassy were not accepted. Hong Kong who bid documents for the embassy take pictures, please submit documents to the application window, the staff confirmed with photographic evidence of identity to the single and the Consular Section B floor lobby taking pictures , and payment per person 6 pounds (with 4 sheets printed photo) .

Note: The above shall be interpreted by the embassy.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 29/09/11, 05:39 pm

I think it's clear from (A) that your passport can be renewed if;

a) It has less than 12 months validiity, or,

b) Less than 2 blank pages (4 sides), or,

c) Your appearance has significantly changed.

Reading 9: If you've not been in the UK for 3 years, or applied for ILR, then you don't need a letter of non acquisition of a british passport from the British Embassy.

The biggest stumbling block is the Photo. Chinese passport photo's are a slightly different size than UK passport photo's. I know they are very strict about your facial expressions as well. No mention of postal applications. It looks like they must take the new passport photo. Looks like you must apply in person.

Can't your passport and documents be returned by a pre paid, pre addressed, Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope which you supply to them with your application. No mention on methods of returning passports. 20 days, cost 30.

You could always contact them for some clarification and advice on their general number.

General Line: 020-72994049
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 29/09/11, 06:17 pm

If you have a ILR or other staying permit, you don't need to proof you DON'T have UK nationality, since after naturalisation and receiving UK passport you must return your staying permit to UKBA.
    Standard time for producing new China Passport is 3 months after application.That will be stated on the receite.

Terrible translation of the text.......

Last edited by Beijing2008 on 29/09/11, 06:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 29/09/11, 06:23 pm

Hi Ton.
    What utter rubbish!
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 29/09/11, 08:21 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:Hi Ton.
    What utter rubbish!
    WHY?
    You cannot have an ILR or other type of staying permit in the UK AND an UK passport.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 29/09/11, 10:01 pm

Hi Ton,
    Sorry for my wording. I'm unwell at the moment so a bit irritable.
    If you have ILR in your Chinese passport you do not have to hand this to UKBA when you obtain a UK Passport. In fact you do not present your Chinese passport when obtaining UK Citizenship except to prove that you have been resident in the UK for the required time and are not bound by time controls. If you go to one of the "Nationality Checking Centres" throughout the UK your Chinese passport is never out of your sight.
    You can then hold your Chinese passport with the ILR and use this to go from UK to China and back while separately using the UK passport to travel elsewhere. In fact you could stick the Chinese passport in a drawer and only use the UK passport for all journeys. It is not illegal in UK to have two passports in different nationalities so there is no reason to hand in an old passport to the UKBA when obtaining UK Citizenship and/or a UK passport.
    If you try to renew the Chinese passport in the UK and it is 3 years or more since you first arrived in the UK then the Chinese Authorities will want to see proof, in the form of a letter from UKBA (at a cost of 70), that the holder of the Chinese passport has not obtained UK Citizenship.
    However if you are in China and want a new Chinese Passport it is impracticable to ask you to provide proof that you have not obtained citizenship in any one of the dozens of countries throughout the world (Some of whom, Chinese Citizens would not need a visa to visit) so they can't ask for proof from every country that you have not obtained citizenship elsewhere. If they don't ask - you don't tell them.
    I'm sure you already mentioned that you know people in Holland that hold both Chinese and Dutch passports.....

David
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 29/09/11, 10:22 pm

David, we did have a discussion on a Chinaforum in NL about using 2 passports.
    My mistake in this discussion here was, that in NL you get your ILR or staying permit as a separate card.Which is taken in when you get a Dutch passport.
    You cannot travel to China with an Chinese passport with an expired ILR or other permit to stay, because you won't be allowed to board in China for UK.Neither can you travel without a visa for China ,with an UK passport.
    And if you did apply before for a new Chinese passport in the UK, it is registered.So it is the question wether or not you get a visa for China..
    It isn't clear whether or not EC governments reports to foreign embassies , that you did get UK/EC Nationality, when asked by China Embassy.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 29/09/11, 10:40 pm

"Expired ILR" is an oxymoron.
    Since it is not illegal in UK to have dual nationalities the UK government does not routinely report that foreign nationals have taken UK Citizenship. They will not release such information about their citizens since it would be a violation of their human rights and the British Citizens have not broken any UK law by obtaining more than one nationality.
    The Chinese governments only way of finding out that you have another nationality is by asking you to produce a letter from the foreign government to say that you have not taken foreign citizenship. If the UK government did give this information to the Chinese government then the Chinese government would not have to ask for such a letter and the UKBA would lose another 70 a time!!!
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 30/09/11, 08:24 am

You know that a Chinese citizen, who obtains an other nationality automatically looses Chinese nationality?Is Chinese nationality Law.
    Other item is; you have Chinese citizenship and UK citizenship.You get legal problems in China; UK Embassy cannot help you, because for Chinese law you are Chinese.Since, even without Chinese ID or passport, born in China means you always will be treated as a Chinese citizen in China.

aeothoneoeth
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 324
    Where I live : Wolverhampton
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2006-11-15

Post by aeothoneoeth on 30/09/11, 08:26 am

The Chinese Embassy WILL NOT return your passport by post (my wife asked them)They issue a pick up slip with collection date on it.

The process takes 1 month.

The Embassy will only take payment by Company Cheque, Debit card or postal order
    No Cash / No personal Cheque /no credit card.

In London you collect from the basement

For applications and collections they are only open between 9am and 12pm

Douglas

Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 30/09/11, 08:41 am

A Passport always must be applied for in person,to do ID/ photo check.And for fingerprints.
    PickUp at CHINA EMBASSY [at least in NL]can be done by an authorised person, like familymember.I took our red marriagebook and my passport with me,and Chinese ID of my wife along with the pick up slip, was no problem.
    For Dutch passport you always have to apply for and pick up of the passport in person.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/09/11, 05:50 pm

To answer Paul's question then,

a) His wife must attend in person to make the application.

b) The passport must be collected but not necessarily by the applicant, an agent can act on her behalf.

Thanks for the very clear information Doug, we will be able to refer to this thread in the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21/01/19, 11:40 am