Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Re: renewing chinese passport in the UK

Post by handyal on 30/09/11, 06:01 pm

Beijing2008 wrote:You know that a Chinese citizen, who obtains an other nationality automatically looses Chinese nationality?Is Chinese nationality Law.
    Correct Ton, but the UK passport is obtain under UK nationality Law, which allows dual nationality, so they haven't broken any laws in the UK where they are residents.

Other item is; you have Chinese citizenship and UK citizenship.You get legal problems in China; UK Embassy cannot help you, because for Chinese law you are Chinese.Since, even without Chinese ID or passport, born in China means you always will be treated as a Chinese citizen in China.
    I don't agree Ton. If you had problems in China, should the Chinese find out you had taken another nationality, then under Chinese law the Chinese citizen automatically loses Chinese nationality, as you pointed out in the first comment. You would therefore be a UK citizen in China without a Visa and entitled to assistance from the UK Embassy

It would be interesting to know the opinion of other members.

Last edited by handyal on 30/09/11, 06:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 30/09/11, 06:17 pm

Regardless of which other nationalities you have; if you entered China using a UK Passport you are entitled to assistance from the UK Embassy.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 932
    Where I live : Hoofddorp ,The Netherlands
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-26

Post by Beijing2008 on 30/09/11, 06:44 pm

I disagree, there are examples, like a USA Citizen,a writer, former Chinese citizen, who was arrested in China, and US embassy was told not to interfere, since he was still a Chinese, dispite the fact he did choose to be US citizen. Once a Chinese, always a Chinese, nationality or not.

==read this;
    If you hold the citizenship of another country, including China, Chinese authorities are not required to notify the U.S.Embassy or a U.S. consulate of your arrest if you entered China using the other countrys passport. Typically, the police will not allow anyone other than a consular officer to visit you during your initial detention period, including your family or even an attorney. Bail is rarely granted in China, and you can be subject to detention for many months before being granted a trial===
    US EMBASSY SITE; http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html#safety

THIS ONE is also very enlightening;
    http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/dual-citizenship_double-citoyennete-eng.asp#4

paulnottingham

Male
    Number of posts : 77
    Where I live : Nottingham England
    I have visited China : 1 time
    Registration date : 2010-12-15

Post by paulnottingham on 30/09/11, 07:38 pm

ok my wife spoke to the embassy today and confirmed the following

passports can be renewed if they are within 12 months of expiry

the process takes 20 working days

the application is to be made in person but somebody else can collect the documents (chinese visa direct offer a collection / courier service)

in our circumstances they do not require a letter from the british embassy as cocos id card shows she entered as my spouse less than 2 years ago

thanks for all your help
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/09/11, 08:06 pm

It depends which passport you use to enter China Ton.

If you use a non Chinese passport then the Chinese must notify your Embassy within 4 days.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/09/11, 09:49 pm

If you use the Chinese passport then your quite correct Ton, they have no need to notify any another Embassy, or receive any assistance from any other Embassy.
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 01/10/11, 10:53 am

handyal wrote:If you use the Chinese passport then your quite correct Ton, they have no need to notify any another Embassy, or receive any assistance from any other Embassy.
    You didn't read what both of the links stated;
    If you hold the citizenship of another country, including China, Chinese authorities are not required to notify the U.S.Embassy or a U.S. consulate of your arrest if you entered China using the other countrys passport.
    So entering with UK passport, and having Chinese citizenship, above rules are the result.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 01/10/11, 12:04 pm

From the same site:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html
    DUAL NATIONALITY: China does not recognize dual nationality. If you are a dual national, you should strongly consider which passport you will use to enter and exit China. The ability of the U.S. Embassy or consulates general in China to provide you with consular protection is not afforded under the United StatesPeople's Republic of China (PRC) Consular Convention if you do not use your U.S. passport to enter and exit China.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If according to Chinese law a Chinese citizen automatically loses citizenship if they take another nationality and they enter China using their USA, UK passport and Visa to enter China, then the Chinese must treat them as a national of the passport they used to enter China.

In reality a Chinese citizen holding both a Chinese passport and a UK passport would always use their Chinese passport for entry/exit of China.
    The reason is simple - money!
    Using their Chinese passport they can enter and exit China without a problem. For the UK at least, their UK residency permit is attached to their Chinese passport, so no problems entering the UK on a Chinese passport.

If they want to use Their UK passport then they would need a Visa to enter China which would cost almost 100.

Faced with the two options, which one do you think a Chinese citizen would choose?

As I already advocated, never mix the two passports for entry/exit of China, it's a sure way to be discovered. Use one or the other. Be a law abiding citizen and you shouldn't get arrested.

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 01/10/11, 03:28 pm

Probably a good idea to leave your UK passport in the UK if you are travelling to China on a Chinese passport. You never know when they will decide to search your bags.

David
    Beijing2008
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Beijing2008 on 01/10/11, 05:26 pm

As long as you have a residence permit, you can, as soon as your permit has expired,or you get UK nationality, please tell me what happens to the permit in your Chinese passport??
    ==Travelling abroad
    Under international law, we cannot give you diplomatic help if you are in a country of which you are a national. For example, if you hold both British and Chinese nationality we would be unable to give you diplomatic help when you are visiting China.

If you are planning to visit your former homeland, and you are not sure whether you have lost your old nationality, you should check with the country's consulate or high commission in the United Kingdom before you travel. If you have not lost the old nationality and want to give it up, they will be able to tell you what to do.==
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

iF I READ WELL IT MEANS; doesn't matter on which passport you travel to China; if you still have Chinese passport,they can't help you , even travelling on UK passport.Or on Chionese passport.
    Bottom line, you should abdicate from Chinese nationality, en give back your Chinese passport, before you travel to China,having dual nationality, mainly if you could be in circumstances that acquire legal assistance.

Like in the example on the US link , about the US busineesman who got in trouble about a commercial deal.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 01/10/11, 09:38 pm

Just as a matter of interest; Does anyone on this forum know of anyone who has required Consular Assistance while on a visit to China?
    Or visiting anywhere else?

David

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:41 am