Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 348
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Nanning marriage registration office locations

Post by dafu on 28/12/11, 05:34 am

Here are the current locations for marriage offices in Nanning (from the Civil Affairs Bureau website)

Qingxiu District
    7 Zhuxi Avenue, Nanning Tel :(0771) 556-0996
    Monday, Wednesday all day, Thursday, Friday morning, Tuesday afternoon

Xingning District
    54 Jiefang Road, Nanning Tel :(0771) 261-5802
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday all day

Xixiangtang (formerly Chengbei) District
    11 Hengyang Road (formerly Seongbuk government) Tel :(0771) 311-9974
    Monday, Wednesday all day, Tuesday, Friday morning

Jiangnan District
    23 Wuyi Road East (next to the police station) Tel: (0771) 482-7253, (0771) 488-2567
    Monday, Wednesday, Thursday all day

Liangqing District
    Dashatian keyun zhōngxīn (passenger centre) second floor. Tel :(0771) 451-2991
    Mon-Fri all day

Yongning District
    Xian Hu Avenue, (Qingxiu district government office building 1,000 meters) Tel :(0771) 479-2280
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday all day

Last edited by dafu on 28/12/11, 05:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected typo)

Panda
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 168
    Where I live : USA
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2010-07-25

Re: Nanning marriage registration office locations

Post by Panda on 29/12/11, 06:24 pm

Dafu,
    Hello. I didn't realize that there were so many locations. Would you know if foreigners can get married/register to marry at all those locations? Panda

Post by Guest on 06/11/12, 09:54 pm

For foreigners, the address is: Marriage registration office of civil affairs bureau of nanning city.
    3rd floor, Government Affairs Service centre. Nanning
    (No.6 East fifth keyuan road; Keyuan avenue, Nanning)
    Contact number 0771-3221226

This information is valid as at 1/11/2012
    We tried other offices first, but were told that this is the only office now in Nanning for foreigners,
    The staff can speak English, so that was a bonus for me.
    The above address is quite a distance past the guangxi university. So be careful with taxi costs.
    Please note: The requirement for Australians is a Statdec, Not a CNI. For other nationalities, please check with the above office.
    I am glad that I inquired at the office, as the suggested CNI is worthless. So I saved myself another trip to Guangzhou. The reason I said that is that, if I had gone to Aus Consulate in Guangzhou and applied for a CNI, it would have been a wasted journey to Guangzhou. Note! You still have to go to your Consulate for the Statdec.
    Before you listen to advice from other expats and friends, check with the offices direct. Chinese laws change all the time. There now is a "service guide of marriage registration for overseas chinese and residents of foreign countries". This can be obtained from the above office.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 07/11/12, 05:13 pm

the ghost wrote:
    Please note: The requirement for Australians is a Statdec, Not a CNI. For other nationalities, please check with the above office.
    I am glad that I inquired at the office, as the suggested CNI is worthless. So I saved myself another trip to Guangzhou. The reason I said that is that, if I had gone to Aus Consulate in Guangzhou and applied for a CNI, it would have been a wasted journey to Guangzhou. Note! You still have to go to your Consulate for the Statdec.
    Before you listen to advice from other expats and friends, check with the offices direct. Chinese laws change all the time. There now is a "service guide of marriage registration for overseas chinese and residents of foreign countries". This can be obtained from the above office.

Hi Richard,
    A Statutory Declaration (Stat Dec) or a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) are the same thing.
    The only difference being the terminology used by various Countries.
    In our Summary section we give the following advice, and I quote:

Marriage to a Chinese citizen in China. (UK)
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1896-uk-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen
    The procedure is quite straightforward and requires only a few documents. Both parties must prove that they are single and therefore free to marry. Before you go to China you need to prepare a document know as a ‘Certificate of No Impediment’, (CNI), sometimes referred to on various websites as a ‘Single Statutory Declaration or Stat Dec’.

Marriage to a Chinese citizen in China. (Australian)
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1915-australian-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen
    The procedure is quite straightforward and requires only a few documents. Both parties must prove that they are single and therefore free to marry. Before you go to China you need to prepare a document know as a ‘Single Status Certificate’, sometimes referred to on various websites as a ‘Certificate of No Impediment’.

Both are sworn affidavits that you are single and free to marry.
    To be politically correct the single term is;
    An Affidavit of No Impediment to Marry'.

'Stat Dec' is a very loose term. You can make a Stat Dec (Statutory Declaration) about many things.
    A 'Will' is a form of Statutory Declaration affraid

If your Australian and going to the Embassy in Guangzhou, ask them for a 'Single Status Certificate of No Impediment to Marry', the'll know exactly what you need and why you need it!

Do you ask for 'French Fries' or 'Chips' with your meal. Same thing, but Americans aren't likely to be familiar with the term 'Chips'.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/11/12, 05:16 pm

dafu wrote:
    Here are the current locations for marriage offices in Nanning (from the Civil Affairs Bureau website)

Thanks Dafu.

Is there a reason why they don't list the Marriage Office for foreigners?

Post by Guest on 07/11/12, 09:20 pm

Al, I hate to say that you are wrong. They are two entirely different documents with different headings. They both have the Commonwealth of Australia on top. I downloaded the "application for certificate of no impediment to marriage" from the Guangzhou Australia consulate. With this application both you and your intended wife had to go to the consulate. I showed this blank application to the marriage bureau and they told us that can not be used. It must be a Statutory declaration, Only myself need to go to the consulate in Guangzhou. The Commonwealth of Australia "Statutory declaration" can be downloaded from the internet. I must check from which site. Will advise later.
    Summary: A CNI, both you and your partner had to give details on the form and go to the consulate. With the statdec only myself need to go to the consulate.
    Unfortunately it is not a case of chips and french fries. These are 2 entirely different documents. Please go to Aus. consulate Guangzhou website and download or look at the CNI (pdf). But do NOT use, it will be rejected.
    Richard
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/11/12, 09:53 pm

Richard,
    Of course a blank form will be rejected!

A CNI or Stat Dec must be completed by a legal qualified person who is registered to take sworn oaths, such as a Notory.

You didn't fully read through the links did you?

If the information is wrong, then half the members on this forum aren't married!

If a British citizen went to the British Embassy he would ask for a CNI.
    If an Australian citizen went to the Australian Embassy he asks for a 'Stat Dec'.

Both are 'Affidavits', i.e. Sworn statements that you are single and free to marry. They serve the same purpose.

Is a 'Roo' a 'Kangaroo' or are they two different animals.
    Is a 'Boomer' a 'Kangaroo' or is it different.

The terms are different, their content and purpose are the same.

Don't forget to take your Passport, proof of address, and proof you are single.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/11/12, 10:18 pm

Richard,
    If your Australian please read this link thoroughly.
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1915-australian-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen

This is how an Australian citizen should prepare his Stat Dec before he goes to China.

If your already in China you just go to your Embassy and they will prepare your Stat Dec.

This is a typical CNI prepared in the UK before going to China.
    It is stamped by our Foreign Office then the Chinese Embassy in the UK.
    Once stamped it is considered a legal document in China and is accepted by any Chinese Marriage Registration Office for marriage in China.

AFFIDAVIT OF NO IMPEDIMENT.

On this date of; (Date)

I; (Full name)
    Residing at; (Full address inc Postcode)

BEING DULY SWORN, DEPOSE AND SAY:

I was born on; (Date)
    At; (Place of Birth)
    In the City of; (Name of City)

I am a; British Citizen.
    My Passport Number is; ********

I am a; (Job Title)
    I am employed by; (Full name and address of Employer)

I am currently single, and was divorced on; (Date)
    At; (Town) County Court
    Court Reference Number; ******
    I have never remarried since this date.

My former wife (Full Name) was a British Citizen.

I have no direct blood tie or kinship within 3 generations of;
    (Full name of intended Chinese wife)

Signature of the Affiant:

Name in Print:

Notary Public.

Subscribed and sworn to before me by;

On this date of;

Notary signature;

Print Name;

Post by Guest on 07/11/12, 11:09 pm

Hi Al
    Most of the websites you quoted are now out of date.
    The marriage office now use the guidelines as given in the: Service guide of marriage registration for overseas chinese and residents of foreign countries, hong kong, macao and taiwan.
    This guide can be obtained from the marriage office on keyuan ave.
    As I look at it now, it has 6 pages. I tried to find it on the net, without success.
    Al, I thank you for your advice. But I can only go by what is required Today.
    As I mentioned before, I am an Australian citizen living in China now for over 6 years. So the information I have officially been given is for an Australian. Therefore citizens from other countries, please check what is required by the above marriage office.
    Richard 8/11/2012
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/11/12, 11:41 pm

the ghost wrote:Hi Al
    Most of the websites you quoted are now out of date.
    I only gave links to pages of the forum.
    The marriage office now use the guidelines as given in the: Service guide of marriage registration for overseas chinese and residents of foreign countries, hong kong, macao and taiwan.
    This guide can be obtained from the marriage office on keyuan ave.
    As I look at it now, it has 6 pages. I tried to find it on the net, without success.
    Isn't your wife a Chinese citizen living in China? If so your looking at the wrong Guidance notes which are for a Chinese citizen living abroad.
    Al, I thank you for your advice. But I can only go by what is required Today.
    As I mentioned before, I am an Australian citizen living in China now for over 6 years. So the information I have officially been given is for an Australian. Therefore citizens from other countries, please check what is required by the above marriage office.
    The requirements for marriage in China are the same for any foreigner because you follow Chinese Law for marriage, not that of your own Country.Richard 8/11/2012

Taken from the Chinese Embassy website in the UK.

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/lsfw/marriage/t624435.htm

Ⅳ. Information on getting married in China
    A non-Chinese wishing to go to China to marry a Chinese citizen should be acknowledged that the legal marriage age in China is 22 and above for male, 20 and above for female according to the Chinese law, and bigamy is illegal.

Before going to China, the following documents should be prepared:
    1) To make Statutory Declaration either in front of a registered solicitor or to a Notary Public including Name, Gender, Date and Place of birth, Nationality, Passport or ID card number, Occupation, Address and Marital status (never married, divorced or widowed).
    2) To have the Declaration authenticated by the Legalization Office of Foreign and Commonwealth Office of U.K. and legalized finally by this Embassy. The documents are valid for 6 months since the date of legalization.
    After entering China with the above said documents and a valid Chinese Visa, the to-be-married should go together with his/her fiancée/fiancé, submit in person their marriage application to the Marriage Registration Office of the local government above county level where the Chinese fiancée / fiancé resides and, have their health checked by a designated hospital. The marriage can be registered only after the application is ratified, and the Marriage Certificate is issued upon registration.

Just go to the Australian Embassy in Guangzhou for your Stat Dec. They complete it and issue it, then you take it to the Marriage Office. It will be authenticated and accepted without any problems.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 07/11/12, 11:59 pm

Australian Embassy in Shangai.
    http://www.china.embassy.gov.au/shai/Marriage4.html

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - GETTING MARRIED IN CHINA
    Can I get married at the Consulate?
    No.

What do I need to get married in China ?
    The first step to take when you decide you want to get married in China is to contact the local Marriage Bureau for their requirements.

Note: Requirements vary between the different provincial Marriage Bureaux within China.

Can I get a Single Status Certificate from the Consulate?
    No. The certificate can be obtained by mail from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in which you were resident in Australia.

I have already obtained the Australian Certificate of Single Status. However, the local Marriage Bureau does not recognise it. What should I do?
    You will need to confirm with the local Marriage Bureau exactly what they require.

• If they require your Australian Certificate of Single Status to be authenticated (also called legalisation) by an Chinese Embassy or Consulate in Australia, you will need to arrange for this certificate to be authenticated first by an office of the Australian Department of Foreign Affiars and Trade. The document can then be authenticated by a Chinese Embassy or Consulate. Please contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in Australia directly for further information on their requirements.
    This is how to apply for a Stat Dec from Aus.

• If the Marriage Bureau requires for the certificate to be authenticated by the Australian Consulate, you can present this certificate to us for authentication. You will also need to bring your passport and pay a fee.
    You don't already have a Stat Dec.

Please note: The Consulate does not provide translation services.

• If the Marriage Bureau's requirement is for the Australian Consulate to issue you with another certificate to confirm your current marital status, you may need to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI).
    That's what you need from the Australian Embassy in China - A CNI

A Statutory Declaration in front of a Notory that you are single and free to marry, legally known as a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. (CNI)
    dafu
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 348
    Where I live : Nagykanizsa, Hungary and Nanning
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by dafu on 27/11/12, 10:12 am

handyal wrote:
    dafu wrote:

Thanks Dafu.

Is there a reason why they don't list the Marriage Office for foreigners?
    You should be able to use any of the offices. The Jiangnan branch on Wu-Yi Lu has a sign in English outside so they must cater for foreigners. Of course some branches may not understand English well or may be reluctant to deal with the additional paperwork.

Post by Guest on 27/11/12, 12:04 pm

As I have mentioned many times before. There is only one marriage office for all foreigners in Nanning.For foreigners, the address is: Marriage registration office of civil affairs bureau of nanning city.

As Al has mentioned before.
    I have now done all the procedures following their guidelines. All I have to do now is to have the photo with red background taken.
    Getting married very soon now.
    I have also been advised by a friend who is in England at the moment that there is no waiting time (21 days) for a statdec. He was out of the office within 1/2 hour.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 27/11/12, 07:31 pm

Hi Richard,

The 21 day waiting rule only applies to documents issued from the Birth, Deaths and Marriage Registry in the UK, (not sure about Australia), but once you have your CNI there is no waiting period under the Chinese Marriage Laws. You can get married as soon as you get your photos and get your CNI translated into Chinese from an approved translator.

The Marriage office will tell you who is an approved translator agent.

Hope the wedding goes without any hitches.

Post by Guest on 27/11/12, 10:21 pm

Al, Again I must correct you. In Nanning the only document they will accept is a Statdec With the Statdec heading. They will NOT accept a CNI heading. Please ignore what the websites tell you. We are talking about what is required in Nanning. I do not know about the other cities in Guangxi or the rest of China. Follow the requirements that are given in: Service guide of Marriage registration for Overseas Chinese and Residents of foreign countries, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. This guide will also give you the addresses of translation offices. Please Look at the heading of the guide. Residents of foreign countries means you and me and every othe foreigner. I will also correct about the legal term of CNI. Here in China, they do Not want a CNI. So how can it be a legal term?
    Please do not confuse people and stay away from websites that are usually well out of date.
    China changes their policies and requirements everyday. So even the consulates can not keep their information up to date.
    Last word: Go to the above mentioned Marriage office. Get the information that is required by them. Do NOT go to your consulate and ask for a CNI. They will help you fill out the Statdec. If you ask only for a CNI, it will be a wasted trip to Guangzhou.
    Cost of Statdec is 130 rmb. Go to the translation offices in Nanning as given in guidelines and they will officially stamp the translations. Cost is 160 rmb.
    Then get your partner and have a photo taken with red background 6x4 cm of, with both
    of you together.Cost depends on photographer.
    And you are ready to get married. That is the cheapest part 9rmb.
    Very simple, but please follow the guidelines as it will save you a lot of money.

Post by Guest on 28/11/12, 04:06 pm

On the Australian consulate websites here in China, you can download a CNI blank form. Do NOT use. Again it is a waste of time and money.
    A statdec or Statutory declaration, is a document that is used for any type procedure. It can be for a traffic infringement or alibi, So it does NOT have the legal term of CNI.
    Therefore the Australian consulate information is well out of date. As I have mentioned before, do NOT get information from the internet. It may well be out of date. I may get arguments about what I am writing now. But all I want to do is save your money and time.
    If I had taken notice of the Australian consulate website, I would have downloaded the blank CNI, filled it in and travelled with your partner to Guangzhou. They would have witnessed and stamped the CNI. Travel back to Nanning, go to Marriage office and they will reject your CNI. If I had gone to the marriage office first, they would have told me that they do NOT accept the CNI, but they will accept only the Statdec.
    Luckily, I did go to the marriage office first and got the CORRECT information.
    I downloaded the Statdec from an Australian government website, filled it in and travelled to Guangzhou by myself. (No need for your partner to come with you as per CNI requirement.)
    Witnessed, stamped and all was done.
    So I did not have to travel twice to Guangzhou. Why? Because I got the right information first.

Post by Guest on 28/11/12, 04:11 pm

Download the blank Statdec from the Australian Government Attorney General"s department.
    http://www.ag.gov.au/Statutorydeclarations/Pages/default.aspx
    Available as a .doc or .pdf file.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 28/11/12, 06:34 pm

Thank you Roger, however you are missing the point.

For marriage in any foreign Country, the foreigner must produce a document that states he is single and free to marry.

If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

By whatever name it is called, what the authorities are requesting from you is a document in which you state some of your personal details, that your are single or you were married but are divorced as well as your intention to marry in the country in question and a confirmation that you are not married.

Whether you live in China, UK, Australia or wherever, you must make a 'Statutory Declaration' under oath to a Notary, or Commissioner for Oaths (usually a Court Officer). It is an important legal document and must be verified.
    At this point of verification the document is usually still referred to as a 'Statutory Declaration' form, but cannot be used for marriage in China until it has been legalised by the Foreign Offices of both the Country of the foreigner and the Chinese.
    Legalisation means that neither Country has any reason or objections to the proposed marriage. i.e. There is 'No Impediment to Marry'.

In legal terms once a 'Stat Dec' has been legalised it becomes known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment to Marry' commonly referred to as a CNI.

The heading of your document is not of any particular importance to the marriage registry office in China, as long as it has been 'legalised', it will be accepted.

Post by Guest on 28/11/12, 10:35 pm

Al, You are missing the point.
    Again I will stress that the Marriage office will NOT accept a document with the heading of Certificate of No Impediment to marry which can be downloaded from the Australian consulate in China. So read what I have written carefully.
    They only want a document with the heading of Statutory Declaration. NOT a CNI.
    They are two completely different documents. The CNI has to be filled in by both you and your partner and witnessed at the consulate while both you and your partner are present.
    With the Statdec, only the person making the declaration has to be present.
    Al, Download the CNI from the Australian consulate and look at it. Do not make comments until you are sure what you are stating. This or any other CNI will not be accepted at the Nanning marriage office. I will repeat, The CNI will not be accepted at Nanning marriage office.
    My main purpose for being on this forum is to give advise to the expats here in China. I am happy to do so. So far the advise I have given is up to date and correct.
    I object to being ridiculed by you, as you think that you know better.
    Al, you do NOT know better. I therefore leave this forum because I am sick of having to defend myself. If any expats want advise or information from me, my email address is hpberk@hotmail.com
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 29/11/12, 05:20 pm

Strange, because I phoned my Chinese friend at the Chinese Consulate in Manchester and put your statement to him. He was unaware of any changes and promised to call back.

Later he called, after he had spoken to the Civil Affairs office in Nanning.
    As long as the document contains your Name, Gender, Date and Place of birth, Nationality, Passport number, Occupation, Address and Marital status (never married, divorced or widowed)and has been sworn under oath and legalised then the title of the document is not important, only the content.

Just this month they have accepted documents titled 'Single Status Certificates',or just plain 'Affadavit'.

He suggested the person you must have spoken to was not educated in these matters!

So it's not what I know, but who I know, and what they know.
    I'll take my friends word who has connections other than that of some Chinese clerk who probably only knows the document a a 'Stat Dec'.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 29/11/12, 05:34 pm

Better still, why not scan and copy this 'Service guide of marriage registration for overseas chinese and residents of foreign countries, hong kong, macao and taiwan' leaflet onto the forum, then we can all read where it states the document must be headed 'Statutory Declaration'

Post by Guest on 29/11/12, 10:44 pm

Haha, You are a joke AL.
    I live in Nanning,n You do not.
    Civil affairs is not the marriage office.
    The whole office are uneducated?????
    Goodbye, and have a good life.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1797
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 30/11/12, 12:02 am

the ghost wrote:For foreigners, the address is: Marriage registration office of civil affairs bureau of nanning city.

This information is valid as at 1/11/2012
    There now is a "service guide of marriage registration for overseas chinese and residents of foreign countries". This can be obtained from the above office.

Seems clear to me. I would also like Richard to scan and show the pamphlet to which he refers.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/11/12, 07:37 am

the ghost wrote:Haha, You are a joke AL.
    I live in Nanning,n You do not.
    Civil affairs is not the marriage office.
    The whole office are uneducated?????
    Goodbye, and have a good life.

Richard,
    The Marriage office is part of the Civil Affairs Bureau! scratch

My intention was not to ridicule you, but to correct the ambiguous and incomplete information you were giving members compared to the information we already have on this forum, which numerous members have followed and successfully married.

I'm still waiting for a copy of your leaflet to confirm your allegations.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 30/11/12, 09:05 pm

Actually you both could be right, it's all according to the circumstances at the time. In my case I produced a Certificate of Single Status provided by the Victorian States Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, this I think is a little worthless because I could have been married in another State within Australia, I also bought from the local newsagent a Statuary Declaration Form, and on it wrote that I was a single person and that my previous divorced wife was an Australian Citizen and not of Chinese birth etc and had a solicitor friend sign this as a witness, wrong! When I went to DFAT in Melbourne to get them stamped I was told it, the Stat' Dec', had to be witnessed by a solicitor from their list, meaning that my solicitor could not be trusted I guess, so I duly located one and he signed it also...the form was covered in signatures and stamps by the time it came back from the Chinese consulate, it looked very official, LOL. I had everything translated in Nanning, once again....wrong! We were being married in Guilin and the Marriage Bureau in Guilin wanted them translated in Guilin! More last minute running around, they accepted the Statuary Declaration of many stamps. Below is an article from the Australian Consulate General Shanghai.

Quote...."A marriage that is performed in accordance with Chinese laws in China will be recognised by law in Australia, provided that the marriage is recognised under Australian law.

Marriage in China

The Consulate-General is unable to confirm requirements for marrying in China which vary considerably between provincial marriage offices and are subject to change. You are strongly advised to first contact the marriage bureau in the city where you intend to marry to confirm their current requirements.

A number of Chinese marriage bureaus require a Statutory Declaration which declares your single status from an Australian (or any foreign national) before registering a marriage. This notarial service can be obtained from an Australian embassy or consulate.

Some marriage bureaus require an Australian Certificate of Single Status (otherwise known as a Certificate of No Record) indicating that you are not currently married. This may be obtained by mail from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in which you are normally resident in Australia. Chinese authorities often require that this document be authenticated, a notarial service which can be provided at an Australian embassy or consulate.

Alternatively, some Chinese marriage bureaus require a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI), which is issued in English and Chinese and may be obtained from an Australian embassy or consulate. This notarial service can be obtained from an Australian Embassy or Consulate-General. Further information

Following your marriage, you will be issued with an official Chinese marriage certificate. There is no requirement to register your marriage in Australia. However, if you intend to use the marriage certificate in Australia (ie for a visa application, name change, or other document of identity), you should contact the Chinese Public Notary Office to obtain an official notarised translation of the document.

Taking your partner to Australia

All enquiries regarding Australian visas for a partner or spouse should be directed to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)."

Email enquiries: immigration.shanghai@dfat.gov.au
    End quote"

The sound advice here is... You are strongly advised to first contact the marriage bureau in the city where you intend to marry to confirm their current requirements. [/b] I hedged my bets in Australia and took both the Statuary Declaration, which was accepted, and the Single Status Certificate which may or may not have been accepted, never found out! All very confusing.
    In Australia, The Single Status Certificate, the 'CNI' and the Statutory Declaration are all separate documents in their own rights, even if they do the same job. It also appears that documents accepted by Chinese Marriage Offices will vary depending on your country and what omen has affected the office that day.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Last edited by Chris Seaborn on 30/11/12, 09:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 03:44 am