Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: Nanning marriage registration office locations

Post by davidmckendrick on 30/11/12, 09:55 pm

I did the same as Chris. I got a CNI (Certificate of no impediment) from my local Registrar's Office in Scotland. I had to wait 21 days for this and was told that it was valid for 6 months. But I also wrote out a Statutary Declaration using the wording suggested on this Forum and had this signed and stamped by a solicitor. Then I had both of these legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and by the Chinese Consulate in Edinburgh. When I got to NanNing we had both translated at a translation place suggested by the marriage office. I have no idea which was accepted but the marriage went without a hitch.

David
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 30/11/12, 11:31 pm

As previously stated the same document comes under a number of titles depending on the Country. 'Stat Dec' is the common term.

In the UK a 'Stat Dec' declared for marriage is legally referred to as a 'CNI'.
    You can make a 'Stat Dec' about anything, so the term CNI denotes that this Stat Dec is specifically for marriage by declaring you are single.
    For example a 'Stat Dec' made to Police would probably be referred to as a 'Witness Statement'.
    If you just asked for a 'Stat Dec' from a Notary, he would probably reply 'In relation to what'. Stat Dec is a very loose term, CNI denotes the Stat Dec is for marriage purposes only.

The registrar of Birth, Deaths and Marriages can issue a 'Single Status Certificate'. This isn't a Stat Dec. It looks like a birth certificate and contains limited information. If you have never been married then this document will suffice as you have no need to make a Stat Dec confirming you are divorced/widowed.

chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1797
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 14/12/12, 08:11 am

An update:

Nanning marriage office did not accept the papers prepared by the ghost for the following reasons:

1. His passport number was not fully stated - he had missed off a prefix letter (N) and just stated the number.

2. They said he had included too many details of his ex-wife/divorce.

So it means another trip to Guangzhou for the ghost to obtain correct paperwork.

For anyone going down this road, please prepare what is required and double check it for accuracy.

Al, I bet that makes you feel vindicated.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 14/12/12, 10:06 pm

Hi Graham,
    No, it doesn't make me feel vindicated at all. I feel sorry for Richard.

I know how confusing the information on the Internet is. There are subtle differences between a 'Stat Dec' and a 'CNI'. Either would be accepted if prepared correctly.

There is no need to mention the name of your ex spouse, they only require her nationality. Date, place of divorce, and court order number are sufficient details. More details will be on the Divorce decree.

With a CNI you must make a sworn oath in front of a Notary with documentary proof to substantiate the details. It's actually an 'Affidavit' and that is how I titled mine. 'Affidavit of No Impediment to Marry'.

It sounds like Richard drew up his own 'Stat Dec' and asked the Embassy to legalise it. I'm afraid if I lived in China and had to go down that route, I would have taken my documentary evidence and let the Embassy prepare the document.

The Marriage Laws for China come from Central Government in Beijing, however many provinces can request, or not request the full itinerary.
    When did an expat last supply a medical examination certificate for example.

Also according to their law, a non Chinese citizen who divorces a Chinese citizen outside of China must also get his CNI 'approved' by a suitably qualified Court in China.
    I know one member who divorced his wife in the UK and remarried again in China. His legalised CNI was accepted without the need for any Chinese Court approval.

That wasn't in Guangxi province though.

I'd still like to see that leaflet!
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1797
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 21/12/12, 12:52 pm

Richard the Ghost went to Guangzhou again on Wednesday and got another CNI or Stat Dec.

Today he got married. So well done and congratulations to Richard and Lulu.

bealem

Male
    Number of posts : 7
    Where I live : Canada
    Registration date : 2012-05-24

Post by bealem on 18/06/13, 01:19 pm

Does anyone know when the marriage registry office is closed for business in Sept./Oct. 2013?
    I recently asked the question and received the answer below. Seems quite unclear to me.

"
          In late September, early October is our National Day holiday, is in accordance with the requirements of the country. We check it on the Internet is on September 29 to October 12, go to work, October 1 to 7 days holiday. But isn't it vacation in September, we can't sure. You can let your fiancee in September when to call us to confirm."
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 18/06/13, 05:00 pm

Translated;

It's National Holiday in China from Oct 1st - 7th. (Official)

If the holidays fall on a weekend some get these days in lieu and therefore add them on to the end of the holiday period. The Marriage office could therefore be closed from Sat 28th Sept and reopen on Sat 12th Oct.
    The dates for staff holidays will be confirmed later in September. Ask your fiancé to call us later in September when we can confirm the dates.

Basically Bealem, best to avoid making any Marriage arrangements between the above dates.
    Unfortunately the Chinese don't plan ahead, everything is last minute and even then it can change again at the eleventh hour.
    The Marriage Office is a government department and they tend to get extra days that other Chinese don't.

Chinese Holiday list here;
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/public-holiday.htm

bealem

Male

Post by bealem on 18/06/13, 06:34 pm

Thanks Handyal.

I see Mid Autumn Festival is Spetember, 19, 20 and 21. I suppose government offices shut down for the time as well, maybe longer? How about other business such as translation services, police offices , medical offices, notary offices? 

Thanks again!
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 18/06/13, 08:01 pm

Hi Bealem,

China is no different to any other Country in respect of holidays.

What offices close in Canada for National holidays whilst retail shops remain open?
    China is no different in this respect. Most offices will be closed for National holidays.

However the Chinese are quick with translation and notary services.
    Usually next day service.

Embassies tend to have both the Chinese and their own Country holidays.

bealem

Male

Post by bealem on 25/06/13, 02:14 am

All this talk about CNI’s and Stat Decs from Aus and UK. Perhaps there’s some experience on this forum with similar issues from a Canadian perspective.

I recently had a Statutory Declaration of Marital Status drawn up in strict accordance with your suggested wording for a CNI and had it notarized. Because I’m divorced I also had a copy of my divorce certificate and birth certificate notarized. I mailed all that to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) in Ottawa for authentication. No problem. They returned them all duly stamped as authenticated. They also attached a single page letter titled, Statement in Lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment (which was not authenticated).
    The statement seems rather useless to me and doesn’t contain any substance that would seem to be of value to anyone, especially the Chinese.

I quote, “Canadian law neither requires nor provides for the issuance of such certificates. Therefore the Department is not in a position to issue the Certificate required. This statement, however, is given in the event that it may be of relevance should the authorities of the country concerned be prepared to consider a waiver of the production of the requested certificate”.
    As I said earlier this statement was not authenticated and therefore doesn’t carry the red DFA authentication stamp.
    Today I took a trip to the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa to submit the Statutory Declaration, Divorce Certificate, Birth Certificate and Statement in Lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment for legalization and subsequent use in China. They told me that they could legalize all except the Statement in Lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment because it did not bear the official DFA authentication stamp. I subsequently returned to the DFA and they explained that they never authenticate (stamp) this statement because they produced and signed it and it therefore doesn’t require authentication. They said it is a misunderstanding by the people at the Chinese Embassy.

So now I’m in a predicament. I cannot get the Statement in Lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment legalized for use in China!

1. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
    2. Do I really need this seemingly useless statement to get married in Nanning?
    3. It seems to me that the Statutory Declaration of Martial Status and the Divorce Certificate are all I really need to have legalized by the Chinese Embassy in Canada. Is this correct?

Sorry for the long winded wind up to the questions.

Thanks
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 25/06/13, 11:15 am

Hi Bealem,
    You don't need the statement they gave you.

If you drew up a Statutory Declaration of Marital Status by a Notary and this has been authenticated by the DFA stamp, that's the document that needs legalising by the Chinese Embassy.

You should also get your Divorce document legalised by the DFA and Chinese Embassy.

Those two items are all you need and will be accepted by the Chinese authorities as legal documents for use in China as long as they are legalised by the Chinese Embassy.

In answer to your questions;
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. Yes.

bealem

Male

Post by bealem on 25/06/13, 12:05 pm

Thanks once again Handyal for you prompt and clear reply. I very much appreciate it.
    I suspected those were the answers but it is nice to get your confirmation.

I have both the Stat Dec and the Divorce Certificate Authenticated by DFA. I will now get them both legalized by the Chinese Embassy.

It is still very puzzling why the DFA website says some countries may require the Statement in lieu of CNI. The statement really has no substance at all and is useless.

Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/12/18, 03:46 am