bealem

Male
    Number of posts : 7
    Where I live : Canada
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2012-05-24

Marriage Advice for Canadian

Post by bealem on 03/06/12, 09:42 pm

I notice this forum has loads of marriage advice for UK and Aus. Is there a similar website for Canadians needing marriage advice? Or can somebody here help me out?

I'm planning to marry a Nanning girl this fall and am planning to obtain the CNI at the Canadian Consulate in Guangzhou when I get there. Seems much easier than getting it done in Canada.
    I am divorced so I'm planning to bring the certificate with me. Does it need to be authenticated and legalized in Canada before I come?
    Does it need to be translated also? Should I wait to have translated in China? Does the translation need to be authenticated and legalized also? Can that be done in China?

Thanks for any advice
    Kiwi-Alan

Male
    Number of posts : 57
    Where I live : New Zealand
    I have visited China : 5 times
    Registration date : 2011-03-25

Re: Marriage Advice for Canadian

Post by Kiwi-Alan on 04/06/12, 12:46 am

http://www.immigroup.com/InternationalMarriage/MarriageToChinese.aspx#3
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 04/06/12, 06:52 am

Hi Bealem,and welcome to the forum.

Firstly may I ask you an important question which is relevant to my next reply.
    You intend to get your CNI from the Canadian Consulate in Guangzhou!

May I ask how long will you be staying in Nanning/China on your visit?
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 04/06/12, 08:31 am

Hi Bealem and a warm welcome to the forum.

From what I have read, it's a slightly different procedure from UK guys. I think it's different again if you come from Alberta!

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/china-chine/consular_services_consulaires/beijing-pekin/marriage-mariage.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Don't forget the requirements of the marriage office you will use in China, they might vary from city to city.

bealem

Male

Post by bealem on 05/06/12, 10:41 pm

Thanks for the advice MadGee. I will consider the requirements of the marriage office. Anything in particular I should be aware of that
    you know?
    Yes I plan to get my CNI in Guangzhou.
    My plan is to be in Nanning for 3 or 4 weeks.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 15/06/12, 09:29 pm

The Canadian Consulate may be able to translate your CNI into Chinese, if not, ask at the Marriage office for their recommended translation service.

The full address and contact details are as follows:
    Nanning Civil Affairs Bureau.
    Marriage Registry Office.
    6, East 5 Road,
    Keyuan Road,
    Nanning.
    Tele: 0771 3221226. (From UK 0086 771 3221226).
    Contact name: Wang Xiao Jing.
    Personal e-mail: 185386211@qq.com
    She will be happy to answer any personal questions.

bealem

Male

Post by bealem on 15/06/12, 10:03 pm

Thanks Handyal
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 15/06/12, 10:35 pm

You can check out this link:
    http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t1896-uk-information-marriage-to-a-chinese-citizen

Although this is a UK procedure, only the method by which you gain your CNI varies. Marriage to a Chinese citizen is the same for all foreigners and the same documents are required. A list is detailed in this link.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 15/06/12, 11:02 pm

Hi Bealum welcome.

The following information is from the Toronto Chinese Consulate. It states what documents will be required and how they are to be authenticated. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Chris.

http://toronto.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/na/t40489.htm

Imformation on Marriage with a Chinese Citizen
    2007/01/01

Overseas Chinese and foreigners wishing to marry a Chinese citizen in China should be acknowledged that the legal marriage age in China is 22 and above for male, 20 and above for female according to the Chinese law and bigamy is illegal.

Before going to China, the following documents should be prepared:

1.Non-spouse certificate which indicate your name, sex, date and place of birth, nationality, personal identification document number, marital status (never married or divorced or widowed) and the name of your fiancee/fiance.

The divorced should provide divorce certificate, ex-spouse's nationality certificate(or declare ex-spouse's nationality). If either party is a Chinese citizen, the divorce certificate which is emanated from the country outside China should be approved by the local intermediate Chinese court first.

The divorce certificate and the approval from Chinese court must be attached to the non-spouse certificate when notarized.

2.Certificate of employment or reliable income.

3.The above-mentioned documents are invalid unless they are first notarized by a local Notary Public/Lawyer and then legalized by the local provincial authority (valid for 3 months since the date of legalization) and finally authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or the Chinese Consulate-General (valid for six months from the date of authentication).

The address for the Ministry of Government Services of Ontario and the office of the Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba are as follows:

Ministry of Government Services Department of consumer and corporate affairs

6th Floor, 700 University Ave., Room 1034, 10th Floor, 405 Broadway

Toronto ON M7A 2S4 Winnipeg , Manitoba R3C 3L6

Tel: 416-3258416 Fax:416-3258434 Tel: 204-9452654

4.All documents emanating from Canada should be accompanied with Chinese translation. Both the original and the translation must be legalized by the Chinese Embassy or the Chinese Consulate-General in Canada before being used in China.

5. After entering China with the above said documents and a valid visa, you should, together with your fiancee/fiance, submit in person your marriage application to the marriage registration office of the local government above county level where your Chinese fiancee/fiance resides .Marriage can be registered only after the application is ratified, and Marriage Certificate is issued upon registration.

Visa Office Office Hours:

Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China 9:00am-11:30am 1:30pm-3:00pm

240 St. George St. , Toronto, M5R 2N5 Monday to Friday

Tel :416-9648861 Fax:416-3249010 (holidays not included)
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 16/06/12, 08:37 am

Hi Bealem,
    Get all your documents translated in China. Much cheaper and a fast service.

You have the option to prepare your document first before leaving Canada (translations in China) which would save travelling to Guangzhou.

Alternately you can take your document to your Consulate who will prepare your CNI within a day or two.

For foreign documents to be legally accepted in China they must first be notorised by a Notary then legalised by your own Foreign affairs office and the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in Canada. They are valid for 6 months.

Documents do not need authenticating, legalising in Canada first if your Consulate in China prepares your CNI. The CNI they produce will be accepted as a legal document in China being prepared on Chinese soil.
    This could mean one or two trips to Guangzhou and a small delay.

Costs will probably be about the same whichever route you take.

GBA
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 448
    Where I live : Gloucester, UK
    Registration date : 2012-02-06

Post by GBA on 16/06/12, 12:03 pm

Alternately you can take your document to your Consulate who will prepare your CNI within a day or two.

Hi Al. Ever tried using a South African consulate/embassy for anything? affraid
    First have to find the staff. Then TRY and wake them up. Then AAAAAAAA i dont know!

But i know you talking about a first world consulate/embassy lol!

GAB
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 17/06/12, 01:12 am

Just beware if you are having documents for marriage translated in China that this is done in the city that you will be married in. My own personal experience...had documents translated in Nanning to be married in Guilin. Guilin marriage office would not accept them, they wouldn't trust a Nanning translation. Result was paying a premium price in getting them re-done in a hurry.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Graham
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 526
    Where I live : Weifang, Friendly Shandong
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2011-02-25

Post by Graham on 14/09/12, 03:53 am

Chris Seaborn wrote:Just beware if you are having documents for marriage translated in China that this is done in the city that you will be married in. My own personal experience...had documents translated in Nanning to be married in Guilin. Guilin marriage office would not accept them, they wouldn't trust a Nanning translation. Result was paying a premium price in getting them re-done in a hurry.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Hi Chris,
    Perhaps not strictly true to the letter of the word.
    I recently went through the procedure, of just bringing my divorce absolute back to China.
    I made appointment with UK Consulate in Beijing.
    They did every thing for us.
    Post the bans, (you must be in China for the preceding 21 days, and your last entry stamp is checked for this) and the translations.
    We did not however get married in Beijing, however as the translation was done by UK Consulate in Beijing, it was never questioned when we did produce them to get married.

Gra.
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by Chris Seaborn on 14/09/12, 04:50 am

Yes Gra you're probably right, getting things translated at a consulate would stand a very good chance of being accepted, but my documents were translated at a reputable translating office in Nanning and would have been OK had we been married in that city but, the Guilin marriage office would not accept that the Nanning translations were correct! It also could have been the 'mother superior' of the office was having a bad day for even when we returned with the fresh translations, it was discovered that Ying's ID card had a slight number problem showing up on their computer and still wouldn't marry us, the police computer, in the same building, showed Ying's card as being correct, but, regardless, she was adamant that she would not marry us and walked out of the office! Her two offsiders were 'stuck into' by younger sister's husband and backed up by the police computer, finally agreed to marry us...the boss was nowhere to be seen. But, bless those two girls, that was 5 blissful years ago.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 23/10/18, 10:39 pm