Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Driving Licence

Post by makem on 17/07/12, 04:59 pm

Just found that Han cannot apply for a driving licence yet.

It is very disappointing for her because she has translated the whole highway code and the 1" thick questions and answers book. She passes the computer test with 100% mark.

She must have permission to remain in the UK which means she must have her BOP card.

I am not sure if she can take the theory test atm but we will check.

As a matter of interest, I have a DVD which teaches the complete theory test in video, written and spoken English. It includes all the available titles mentioned here:

http://www.learnerdriving.com/theory-test/free-theory-test.php

Along with the highway code and questions/answer book,1t is all that is needed to pass the test.

EDIT: She cannot take the theory test until she has a driving licence. Up to 6 months wait now Sad
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Re: Driving Licence

Post by handyal on 17/07/12, 06:38 pm

I'm sure Han can take the theory test in her native language.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 17/07/12, 10:20 pm

If Han is here on a Settlement visa which is permission to live in UK for up to two and a bit years then why can't she sit her Driving Test? Mei got her UK Driving License before she got her ILR. She was allowed to drive in the UK for the first 12 months on her Chinese Driving License.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 17/07/12, 10:21 pm

handyal wrote:I'm sure Han can take the theory test in her native language.

Why did you make that comment Alan?

EDIT: I realise now, you may have said that because I said Han had translated the documents. Well, she translated them to make sure she understood all prior to a test. If she were to take the test in Mandarin then she would need to study in Mandarin. I have never seen such documents but there may well be.

Han would ask me to explain particular terms or sentences and then she would write my explanation above in Mandarin. She didn't translate word for word as her vocabulary if quite large. Sorry if I mislead you.

Last edited by makem on 17/07/12, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 17/07/12, 10:32 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:If Han is here on a Settlement visa which is permission to live in UK for up to two and a bit years then why can't she sit her Driving Test? Mei got her UK Driving License before she got her ILR. She was allowed to drive in the UK for the first 12 months on her Chinese Driving License.

Mei HAD a licence which she changed for a UK one.

Han's permission to be in the UK is an ENTRY visa for a term of up to two years. It is not permission to REMAIN which she will acquire later if granted.

snip>
    Applicants who are not UK citizens or citizens of another European Union or European Economic Area state (EU/EEA) will not be considered 'normally resident' for the purposes of a driving licence application if they:

do not have leave to remain in the UK
    are in the country on a temporary basis without leave to remain either while awaiting a decision on an application to stay in the UK or following a decision refusing such an application.
    snip>

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyC/DG_10035602

It is interesting to note:

you must therefore be 'normally resident' in the UK for more than 185 days

Thats the first time I have seen a specific 'resident' term stated. I suppose that would apply to tax and rented accommodation.
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 134
    Where I live : UK
    Registration date : 2010-01-17

Post by Kev on 18/07/12, 07:04 am

The theory test can be taken in 20 different languages. Sadly Mandarin is not one of them, you can take it in Cantonese. For Mandarin you would need to use a DSA approved translator. On my website I have the Theory Test Pro, this contains all the theory questions and they can be translated into Cantonese. Dont forget the Hazard Perception part of the Theory test. www.kevtownsendschoolofmotoring.co.uk http://www.kevtownsendschoolofmotoring.co.uk/ A chinese student of mine has just travelled to Birmingham to take the Theory test, that was the nearest place we could find a DSA approved translator.
    Kev

GBA
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 448
    Where I live : Gloucester, UK
    Registration date : 2012-02-06

Post by GBA on 18/07/12, 08:12 am

Interesting.

Prior to my arrival in the UK in 2004 I went to the local AA office (in SA) and paid for and received a 1 year international drivers license. At that time I was on limited time to remain.

I got my first job using the international license and after a few months my employees at the time asked me to get a UK drivers license.

I got hold of the DVLA and they "exchanged" my SA drivers license for a UK one. It was not a full or direct swop as I had a "heavy duty" license in SA which encompassed heavy vehicles as well as normal passenger vehicles. The "swop" just left me with a full UK passenger or whatever type license. At that time I did not have ILR. How things change!

GBA
    Robert
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 510
    Where I live : Norfolk
    Registration date : 2011-05-21

Post by Robert on 18/07/12, 08:15 am

The government will be phrasing out the theory test in different languages and you will not be allowed to used a interpreter on your driving tests, because of all the fraud in recent years. This is the Government drive to make immigrants learn English and for better driving

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/8828254/Foreign-language-driving-tests-to-be-banned.html
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 18/07/12, 08:47 am

And yet foreigners can drive in UK on their foreign license or on an International license for a year before being asked to obtain a UK license. Even then they do not necessarily have to sit a Driving Test at all. My wife has a UK Driving License but like GBA exchanging his SA license for a UK one she exchanged her Chinese one for a UK one.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 18/07/12, 11:12 am

Under EU treaties anyone who has a valid driving licence issued by an EU country can drive in Great Britain until they are 70, or for three years after becoming a
    resident, whichever is the longer period, without having to pass ANY tests at all - driving test, language test, whatever test. Likewise for any GB licence holder in any EU country - i.e. Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark,
    Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland,
    Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands,
    Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden.

Further, a driving licence from those countries can be exchanged for a GB licence with no requirement to pass any further test or satisfy any language standard.

There's no mention of Switzerland, an EFTA country, in the Directgov list, although on the Directgov site the other non-EU EFTA countries Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are referred to as EC/EEA countries; but when I lived there one had 6 months to exchange one's EC issued driving licence for a Swiss driving licence.

An EU citizen, i.e. Polish, who already has a bus driver's licence can drive a UK bus on their EU, i.e. Polish, bus driver's licence without passing any test - the only requirement is that they must register with DVLC withing 12 months of becoming a resident.

The only reason for an EU person needing to pass a driving test is if they do not already have a driving licence so the only EU persons who would have to take this language test would be unlicensed drivers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/8828254/Foreign-language-driving-tests-to-be-banned.html#
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 18/07/12, 05:06 pm

Today Han took her Chinese passport as ID and an application form to our local DVLA office.

I said nothing, just handed over the documents. No comment was made. We paid 50 plus 5.90 for special delivery return of her passport.

Her D/L should arrive within 2 weeks.

However, I am still concerned that she does not have permission to remain. In fact her visa expires next week!

Obviously she can stay in the UK awaiting the result of her visa request. However, the D/L instructions do say 'No D/L can be issued if awaiting......', so, we may lose the money paid.
    Robert
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 510
    Where I live : Norfolk
    Registration date : 2011-05-21

Post by Robert on 18/07/12, 06:11 pm

Eric.

I applied for my son's provisional driving licence about two months ago I was very reluctant to handover his passport but they informed me they have no qualifier person to check the visas at a local DVLA office I understand this is done at Swansea you should be informed if Han would be allowed to have provisional driving licence in about two weeks, just keep your fingers crossed and good luck.

David.
    As you will know being in the medical profession yourself it wasn't very long ago doctors and nurses from overseas wasn't even tested for their English not much different from Polish bus driver but after a few doctors killed a few people the Government decided to tighten up the rules we shall just wait for a few Polish bus drivers to kill a few people before we get any action from are pathetic government
    Chris Seaborn
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1507
    Where I live : Wonthaggi, Victoria, Australia.
    I have visited China : 4 times
    Registration date : 2007-08-02

Post by Chris Seaborn on 19/07/12, 01:11 am

We're a bit kinder in Oz, Ying obtained her DL in Nanning before coming here and was allowed to drive for the extent of her visa, although I believe that is now restricted to 3 months. To apply for a Victorian licence...they wont allow a licence from China to be transferred, strange that she was allowed to drive for that 3 months! Anyway, when she applied for a Victorian DL she had to do a computer theory test (in mandarin, the rule book was also available in mandarin,) before a 'Learners' permit was granted, she could then still drive solo and without displaying 'L' plates. Ying still had to undergo a driving test, as her Chinese licence was not recognised, she did this through a driving school later, she passed first attempt. Young Ting obtained her DL in the normal way and has to display her 'P' plates for a few years, she's excited, after November this year she'll have her full licence. Incidentally, Ting passed first time too. Both are very safe and considerate drivers.

Other States in Australia may have different conditions to that of Victoria.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:40 am