Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Visit of a family member

Post by makem on 29/10/12, 05:32 pm

I would appreciate help from anyone who whose family member has actually been granted a Family Visit Visa to the UK.

This is the information which would be most helpful:

1. If for example, the intended date of travel is March 2013, how early can he/she apply?

2. What is the maximum visa period he/she can apply for?

3. What would be his/her maximum period of stay?

4. Can he/she travel to the UK at any time during the visa period?
    (providing he/she leaves by the end of course)

5. Can I provide him/her with a lump sum of money to pay for everything before he/she leaves to avoid having to send all my bank information to him in China?

6. Will I have to provide actual evidence of suitable accommodation? Bearing in mind that has been submitted previously.

Any additional advice would be appreciated too.

TIA

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Re: Visit of a family member

Post by makem on 30/10/12, 12:04 pm

From the Visa Application Centre in Beijing:

1. The applicant can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the date of travel to the UK.

2. Applicant can choose the length of visa validity according his/her situation, the Entrance Clearance Officer will consider whether the applicant is qualified to get such a long term visa during processing the application. He may approve a shorter visa instead when he thought the applicant is not suitable for a long term visa. Hence we'll recommend that the applicant do not apply a long term visa at his/her first application.

3. The maximum total time that he can stay in the UK as a visitor visa will be 6 months.

4. During the period of visa validity, he can enter UK at any time.

5. The bank statement under applicant’s name is also acceptable, If he has made deposits in his account that are not in keeping with the account history then he may wish to explain the origins and timing of these deposits.

6. The applicant may wish to submit documents to help show his accommodation and travel arrangements in the UK and on which date he intend to leave the UK. The UKBA advise that the applicant do not make any payments for accommodation, travel and so on until he has received his visa.

Please feel free to contact us in case you need any further assistance.

UK Visa Application Centre /英国签证申请中心

(If you want to reply, please keep the previous record.)

Website/网址:www.vfs-uk-cn.com

Just a note:

Visa applications must be made online in China and an appointment made to submit documents and have personal data taken.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Post by handyal on 30/10/12, 01:03 pm

makem wrote:I would appreciate help from anyone who whose family member has actually been granted a Family Visit Visa to the UK.

This is the information which would be most helpful:

1. If for example, the intended date of travel is March 2013, how early can he/she apply?
    You can postadte an application for up to 3 months in advance. Apply at least 1 month before.
    6 months in any 12 month period (short term Visa).
    Up to 6 months in the 12 month period. Multi entry Visa.
    4. Can he/she travel to the UK at any time during the visa period?
    (providing he/she leaves by the end of course)
    If you apply for Multi entry - yes.
    5. Can I provide him/her with a lump sum of money to pay for everything before he/she leaves to avoid having to send all my bank information to him in China?
    Yes - but if your sponsoring his stay you will still have to submit your bank statements.
    6. Will I have to provide actual evidence of suitable accommodation? Bearing in mind that has been submitted previously.
    Yes - your circumstances and accomodation could have changed since documents were previously submitted.
    Any additional advice would be appreciated too.

TIA

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/10/12, 01:05 pm

makem wrote:From the Visa Application Centre in Beijing:

1. The applicant can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the date of travel to the UK.

2. Applicant can choose the length of visa validity according his/her situation, the Entrance Clearance Officer will consider whether the applicant is qualified to get such a long term visa during processing the application. He may approve a shorter visa instead when he thought the applicant is not suitable for a long term visa. Hence we'll recommend that the applicant do not apply a long term visa at his/her first application.

3. The maximum total time that he can stay in the UK as a visitor visa will be 6 months.

4. During the period of visa validity, he can enter UK at any time.

5. The bank statement under applicant’s name is also acceptable, If he has made deposits in his account that are not in keeping with the account history then he may wish to explain the origins and timing of these deposits.

6. The applicant may wish to submit documents to help show his accommodation and travel arrangements in the UK and on which date he intend to leave the UK. The UKBA advise that the applicant do not make any payments for accommodation, travel and so on until he has received his visa.

Please feel free to contact us in case you need any further assistance.

UK Visa Application Centre /英国签证申请中心

(If you want to reply, please keep the previous record.)

Website/网址:www.vfs-uk-cn.com

Just a note:

Visa applications must be made online in China and an appointment made to submit documents and have personal data taken.

You should have asked;
    7. As his sponsor will I still have to submit my bank statements.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1789
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 30/10/12, 01:15 pm

I think you need to supply a letter of invitation if he/she is staying with you or reliant on you. If this is the case the inviter must supply a photocopy of passport, main page.

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 30/10/12, 01:15 pm

I would appreciate help from anyone who whose family member has actually been granted a Family Visit Visa to the UK.

I have not had a family member granted a Family Visit Visa but a girlfriend was refused a visit visa twice on the grounds that the visa officer did not think she would return to a poor country after visiting UK for a lengthy period.

They can apply for multiple entry up to 2 years.

180 days in any twelve month period.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/10/12, 01:22 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:

They can apply for multiple entry up to 2 years.

180 days in any twelve month period.

Your correct David,
    I quoted the maximum period for a short term Visa (6 in 12) which was the advice of the VFS.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 30/10/12, 05:14 pm

Ok Alan, in fact I asked the question about finance in a second email. I wanted to keep the first one simple.

I have suggested that I send the sum of £5,000 or more if necessary to make the individual self financing on that trip to the UK and provide evidence that I sent the money and it was received in the Chinese bank.

I await the answer.

As for the other information David and you supply about the visa, it appears to contradict the simple max 6 months with a max 6 month stay but advised shorter stay on first visit.

Please bear in mind this is a first UK visit of a person who is not a spouse and the VAC have advised asking for a short period visa initially.

I am hoping someone can say how they dealt with finance.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 30/10/12, 05:17 pm

chinatyke wrote:I think you need to supply a letter of invitation if he/she is staying with you or reliant on you. If this is the case the inviter must supply a photocopy of passport, main page.

Thanks China, the passport copy is worth noting Smile

Any idea how to provide the letter? Type, sign, scan, send scan? Or, send signed letter?
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 30/10/12, 08:49 pm

Send the letter by post and tell them to submit both the letter and envelope to prove that it comes from UK. Emails could be from anywhere or could be written by the person applying for the visa.

David
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 30/10/12, 10:08 pm

davidmckendrick wrote:Send the letter by post and tell them to submit both the letter and envelope to prove that it comes from UK. Emails could be from anywhere or could be written by the person applying for the visa.

David

That could be done but I suggested scans because i saw elsewhere in the forum that scans were accepted for some things.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/10/12, 10:21 pm

Do you intend to include your own details as Stepfather on the application Eric.

If your sending him money to fund the trip it would be wise to include yourself.

Send an attested copy of Hans ILR and Passport.
    Attested copy of your passport.
    Property inspection Report.
    Marriage books.
    An explanatory letter regarding accomodation and food.

You will also have to prove he is Hans son. (Hukou/Birth Certificate?)

Ref your last post Eric,
    The scanned copies were accepted by the Chinese Embassy for a Visa to China.

The UKBA require original documents except in the case of passports, which you may need, so an attested copy will be acceptable.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 30/10/12, 10:30 pm

Guidance Notes can be found here:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf1-guidance.pdf

Or in Chinese here:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/313079/chinese-vaf1a-1k-guidance.pdf

Supporting Document checklist here:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 31/10/12, 12:23 am

handyal wrote:Do you intend to include your own details as Stepfather on the application Eric.

If your sending him money to fund the trip it would be wise to include yourself.

Send an attested copy of Hans ILR and Passport.
    Attested copy of your passport.
    Property inspection Report.
    Marriage books.
    An explanatory letter regarding accomodation and food.

You will also have to prove he is Hans son. (Hukou/Birth Certificate?)

Ref your last post Eric,
    The scanned copies were accepted by the Chinese Embassy for a Visa to China.

The UKBA require original documents except in the case of passports, which you may need, so an attested copy will be acceptable.

Yes Alan, as I am the only British Citizen in the family I must do the 'inviting'.

I have not seen anywhere that says the passport copies need to be attested but I will check again, thank you.

As for the remainer, yes, they are in hand. Thanks for the scan reminder, I had forgotten what they were for.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 31/10/12, 08:26 am

The invitation can come from anyone who is 'present and settled'.
    As Han has ILR she can invite her son.

My concern is that if you are his sponsor, then I'm sure they will want your financial statements irrespective of the fact you sent him funds.

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 31/10/12, 11:26 am

handyal wrote:The invitation can come from anyone who is 'present and settled'.
    As Han has ILR she can invite her son.

My concern is that if you are his sponsor, then I'm sure they will want your financial statements irrespective of the fact you sent him funds.

Han does not have ILR yet. That is one problem as her application cannot be chased until 6 months have elapsed. That period ends on the last day of January 2013 so she cannot invite/sponsor him until after she receives IRL.

Even if we waited until she has ILR, she still could not sponsor him in her own right because she does not have an income, although she does possess savings and also, the accommodation is not in her name.

If I sponsor him now, I must say that his mothers current visa has expired but she hopes to get ILR in January. Should that application fail, he will come here and she will return to China!

You say that even if he has sufficient funds to finance the trip himself and I provide free proved accommodation I would still be required to prove my finance.

What about Chinese tourists whom the UK are holding out open arms and pleading with to come spend money here? They just have to prove where they stay by a booking copy. I will provide the booking in my letter of invitation. He will provide the finance.

This is the reply when asked if I could send £5,000:

snip>
    Thank you for your email.

If you transfer the money to the bank account under applicant’s name is also acceptable, and it is not in keeping with the account history then he may wish to explain the origins and timing of these deposits.

As all the documentation is suggested, not mandatory, so the applicant should prepare the documents base on his own circumstance. If he can not submit such document, he may give an explanation on the visa application form “Additional Information” section. The Entry Clearance Officer will consider whether accept your explanation during process your application.
    snip>

The reply is typical - "We don't know, but maybe"

When Han and I submitted our finance details for ILR the documents weighed 1.4 kilo and until Han gets ILR we must keep those original documents in the UK.

I am loath to send 1.4 kilo of identifiable (personally and financially), documents via post to China. I have two choices, transfer £5,000 and risk the visa being refused, losing £78, or, taking the documents with me when we go ourselves. That option still leave highly valuable documents floating about in China where individuals don't have letter boxes in their homes.

If I only had one income, one bank I would only have some 30 pages to prove finance but I have multiple incomes and multiple banks. Those are doubled if we include Han, hence the 1.4 kilo for the banks, housing, letters, copies etc that we must prove. That does not include any 'chat' history.

HSV068
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 406
    Where I live : Elizabeth East South Australia
    I have visited China : 3 times
    Registration date : 2011-05-29

Post by HSV068 on 31/10/12, 12:45 pm

Silly suggestion I guess, but why can you not scan the docs, and have them travel, or sent on a USB stick, or another memory device, then print what is required, this could easily be sent thru the post.

Seems you are in between a rock and a hard place Eric, may have to wait until your wifes ILR is received to complete the son's application,
    just my thoughts, cheers, Roger
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by chinatyke on 31/10/12, 03:39 pm

makem wrote:

I have not seen anywhere that says the passport copies need to be attested but I will check again, thank you.

As for the remainder, yes, they are in hand. Thanks for the scan reminder, I had forgotten what they were for.

Eric,

My stepdaughter sent me a signed original invitation letter and there was no need to have it notarised. She also signed the photocopy of her passport. This was for Jiaping to get her visitor visa and we stayed at my stepdaughters home. I'll email you a copy of the invitation letter. I did read somewhere that scan and fax was acceptable. I would send it as in pdf format if you transmit it electronically.

I've just upgraded the O.S. on my Mac and now I am having to go to back-up discs to retrieve files, so bear with me.

Incidentally, I sent invitation letters/passport photocopies to my UK visitors earlier this year and these were definitely required by the Chinese VAC in Manchester to obtain their Chinese class L visas.

Graham
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 31/10/12, 03:56 pm

HSV068 wrote:Silly suggestion I guess, but why can you not scan the docs, and have them travel, or sent on a USB stick, or another memory device, then print what is required, this could easily be sent thru the post.

Seems you are in between a rock and a hard place Eric, may have to wait until your wifes ILR is received to complete the son's application,
    just my thoughts, cheers, Roger

For Han's second tourist visa application, the successful one, I was allowed to download all bank statement in pdf format, compile some of my documents into pdf and send all via email under her application number to the VAC in Beijing.

When it came to applying for her Settlement visa, this was not allowed. I fail to see why in this day and age when we are trying to conserve, I must send 4.6 kilo of trees to the UKBA for 3 applications. For the last of the three applications the Checking service copied every document for me - another 1.4 kilo added!

I assume as nothing has been said about scanning or downloading, it will not be allowed.

EDIT: I have a pdf program and can edit pdf files, maybe that is why they are concerned about originals.

Last edited by makem on 31/10/12, 04:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 31/10/12, 04:06 pm

chinatyke wrote:
    makem wrote:

As for the remainder, yes, they are in hand. Thanks for the scan reminder, I had forgotten what they were for.

Eric,

My stepdaughter sent me a signed original invitation letter and there was no need to have it notarised. She also signed the photocopy of her passport. This was for Jiaping to get her visitor visa and we stayed at my stepdaughters home. I'll email you a copy of the invitation letter. I did read somewhere that scan and fax was acceptable. I would send it as in pdf format if you transmit it electronically.

I've just upgraded the O.S. on my Mac and now I am having to go to back-up discs to retrieve files, so bear with me.

Incidentally, I sent invitation letters/passport photocopies to my UK visitors earlier this year and these were definitely required by the Chinese VAC in Manchester to obtain their Chinese class L visas.

Graham

Thanks Graham, that letter would be very helpful.

About 16 weeks ago the UKBA knew every penny of dosh I had squirreled away lol.

Have they not heard of email in their system? Surely it would not be beyond imagination to think, "Now why don't I email our UK office and ask if their finances are in order? They have probably not gone bust in the last 16 weeks, especially if they have just dropped 5 grand in the applicants pocket"

Re. the backup - I had two machines go down within days of each other. One was from Argos and I had two more replacements before I was able to reinstall. It took 90 minutes for each to get back to exactly (including the desktop), how they were before the problem. I swear by Acronis for either a bare bones install or a reinstall from inside Winblows7. I backup all partitions and the system to a USB2/3 HD 1T which was relativeley cheap.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 31/10/12, 04:23 pm

Family Visitor
    The family members you are visiting must be permanently settled or have asylum/humanitarian protection status in the UK. They must also be related to you in one of the following ways:
    - Spouse, civil partner, father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister;
    - Grandfather, grandmother, grandson or granddaughter;
    - Spouse or civil partner’s father, mother, brother or sister;
    - Son or daughter’s spouse or civil partner;
    - Stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or
    - Unmarried partner where the couple have been in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least the two years before the day the application is made and the relationship is genuine and subsisting
    If you are not related to the person you are visiting in one of the specified ways listed above or if they are not permanently settled or have asylum/humanitarian protection in the UK, then you should apply as a general visitor and complete VAF1A.

Hmmmm! Maybe your better to wait until Han gets ILR.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 31/10/12, 04:27 pm

Evidence and supporting letter from your family member in the UK that you intend to visit
    If you are visiting a family member you may wish to include a letter of invitation from them as well as their financial documents, as outlined in the finances and employment section above.
    You must also supply evidence of their immigration status in the UK demonstrating that they are permanently settled or have asylum/humanitarian status in the UK this could be copies of:
     bio-data pages from their passports
     valid visa or immigration stamp from their passport
     Home Office letter or Residence Permit confirming permission to stay in the UK

The only reference to copies is Passports or pages from a Passport.

Your financial documents will be required if you are the sponsor.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by chinatyke on 31/10/12, 05:29 pm

Eric,

I remember it was straight-forward when Jiaping applied. We put all they asked for in a folder and went to the VAC at Guangzhou. Effectively I was her sponsor, and my finances were included along with her own. We were staying mostly with my stepdaughter and so included her letter of invitation to confirm where and with whom we would stay and that she was the family member we were visiting.

Give them all they ask for and more besides. They didn't ask for Sophie's passport photocopy but we gave it to them anyway. There are checklists on the VAC website, just follow the instructions. The VAC were extremely helpful to us.

Graham
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 01/11/12, 12:29 am

chinatyke wrote:Eric,

I remember it was straight-forward when Jiaping applied. We put all they asked for in a folder and went to the VAC at Guangzhou. Effectively I was her sponsor, and my finances were included along with her own. We were staying mostly with my stepdaughter and so included her letter of invitation to confirm where and with whom we would stay and that she was the family member we were visiting.

Give them all they ask for and more besides. They didn't ask for Sophie's passport photocopy but we gave it to them anyway. There are checklists on the VAC website, just follow the instructions. The VAC were extremely helpful to us.

Graham

Do you or anyone know how long it may take to get a result? Thinking of taking the docs, stay a month and collecting same.

They do say ask withing a 3 month period of travel so if we give a date withing the month, maybe 25 days?
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 01/11/12, 12:31 am

handyal wrote:Evidence and supporting letter from your family member in the UK that you intend to visit
    If you are visiting a family member you may wish to include a letter of invitation from them as well as their financial documents, as outlined in the finances and employment section above.
    You must also supply evidence of their immigration status in the UK demonstrating that they are permanently settled or have asylum/humanitarian status in the UK this could be copies of:
     bio-data pages from their passports
     valid visa or immigration stamp from their passport
     Home Office letter or Residence Permit confirming permission to stay in the UK

The only reference to copies is Passports or pages from a Passport.

Your financial documents will be required if you are the sponsor.

Alan, would you be good enough to provide links to the snips you post please. It is helpful to be able to see the snips in context.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 20/10/18, 08:11 pm