Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 3392
    Where I live : Roi-Et Thailand
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2008-01-06

Re: Visit of a family member

Post by handyal on 01/11/12, 09:15 am

Taken from Supporting Document Checklist.

Link in post 13.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2155
    Where I live : Chelmsford, England
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-10-30

Post by makem on 15/11/12, 05:33 pm

I cannot see anywhere that it says you must have attested copies of passports and BRP nor can I see any requirement to have your accommodation inspected or indeed described.

If anyone has found anything about those in respect of a Family Visitor it would be helpful.

A UKBA FAQ would be helpful if ever they could get round to it.

However, I appreciate, belt and braces is best - send more 'in case'.

I just had another thought, do you have to supply copies of every document such as bank statements? I know Derek had to but that was for a Settlement visa. I've seen nothing about copies for a Family visit.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 15/11/12, 06:25 pm

Handy addresses for the online application:

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/online/?langname=null
    MadGee
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 810
    Where I live : Wherever I Lay My Hat
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by MadGee on 16/11/12, 01:34 am

makem wrote:

I just had another thought, do you have to supply copies of every document such as bank statements? I know Derek had to but that was for a Settlement visa. I've seen nothing about copies for a Family visit.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/china/applying/?langname=UK English

It's in the More Information section.

'If you are not working, you should include the original financial documents of the person who supports you.

If someone else is paying for your trip, you should explain why they are paying and include their original financial documents.'
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 16/11/12, 10:38 am

MadGee wrote:
    makem wrote:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/china/applying/?langname=UK English

It's in the More Information section.

'If you are not working, you should include the original financial documents of the person who supports you.

If someone else is paying for your trip, you should explain why they are paying and include their original financial documents.'

Sorry Graham, maybe I should have said, "Photo copies of every document".
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 19/11/12, 06:12 pm

makem wrote:I cannot see anywhere that it says you must have attested copies of passports and BRP nor can I see any requirement to have your accommodation inspected or indeed described.

If anyone has found anything about those in respect of a Family Visitor it would be helpful.

A UKBA FAQ would be helpful if ever they could get round to it.

However, I appreciate, belt and braces is best - send more 'in case'.

Eric,
    They do not tell you which documents to supply in many cases. The choice of documents you send is entirely at your discretion, but if you do not supply a document which may be required then your application will be refused.

If you were present in China they can see you are the passport holder. They do not expect you to send your original passport, but you must send a copy. Is the copy genuine?
    Prove it by getting it attested, then it's as good as an original document.

Submission of particular documents does not guarantee that your visa will be issued. It is your decision how you satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that your intentions are as you state in your application. It is your choice which documents you submit.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf1b.pdf

There are requirements to prove your accommodation is suitable for the Visitor.
    8.5 and 8.6 are your address details on the VAF1B application form.
    Prove the accommodation is suitable for all of you to stay together?

A home owner can supply a Property Inspection Report plus Photos to support suitable residency. A council/housing ass/ private tenant can supply his tenancy agreement (which should detail the number of bedrooms) plus Photos to support the suitability.

You must supply all original documents plus copies to support your application.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/china/applying/documents/?langname=UK%20English
    (Other than points based system).
    If you are applying for any other type of visa, you should provide documents that:
    support the statements that you make in your visa application; and
    show that the information in your application is true.
    We will only consider documents submitted with your application. You cannot submit documents after you have completed your application at the visa application centre, unless our staff ask you for them.
    For every document that you provide, you must include the original document and a photocopy. This includes a copy of your passport bio-data page (the page containing your photograph). Please ensure that the photocopies are of good quality and can be read easily. If you do not provide a photocopy of each document, we might not return your original documents to you.
    From 8 October 2012 if you are applying for a visa using the express visa service in Guangzhou and Shenzhen you must submit a photocopy of every page of your passport including the bio-data page.

Last edited by handyal on 19/11/12, 06:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 19/11/12, 06:29 pm

The UKBA staff use the Policy and Law section of Immigration Rules as internal guidance when considering applications. It can be found here:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/

Within that section you can find guidance on Maintenance and Accomodation for Family Members.

6. ACCOMMODATION
    The word "exclusively" was added to HC 395 in reference to the accommodation requirement in order to make the Rules consistent with Tribunal determinations. Accommodation can be shared with other members of a family provided that at least part of the accommodation is for the exclusive use of the sponsor and his dependants. The unit of accommodation may be as small as a separate bedroom but:
    -
    must be owned or legally occupied by the sponsor;
    -
    its occupation must not contravene public health regulations; and
    -
    its occupation must not cause overcrowding as defined in the Housing Act, 1985.
    6.1. Ownership
    The couple should provide evidence that the property is either owned or rented by themselves. This may be in the form of a letter from the building society, a copy of the property deeds and, in the case of rented accommodation, a rent book and lease agreement. Where the accommodation is rented from a local authority or housing association, correspondence from the landlord can normally be regarded as genuine and sufficient. Greater care needs to be taken where there is purportedly private tenancy. If there are any aspects of the case which raise substantial doubts, corroborative evidence of residence should be sought. If the accommodation is not "owned" (in the sense that the sponsor is not the head of the household but is, for instance, a son or daughter of the family) the Rules require there to be adequate accommodation, which the couple and their dependants occupy for their exclusive use. This need not be a separate house or self-contained flat but, where it is as little as one bedroom of their own, enquiries should be made about the number of rooms, the number of occupants in the house and whether this is only intended to be a short term arrangement.
    6.2. Housing standards
    Local authorities have the power to set different housing standards that must be met. It would not be appropriate however, to approach local authorities in each case to see whether their standards are met. The applicant or sponsor should be asked to provide evidence that the accommodation provided will be adequate. This may take the form of a letter from a housing authority, a building society or a description of the premises that we can be satisfied is accurate and genuine.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/section1/annexf.pdf?view=Binary

That's why you have to send proof of suitable accomodation! lol.
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 19/11/12, 06:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this research Alan. It is much appreciated. That is one reason why I raise these questions. Two or more people doing research on the same subject find much more than one.

From your No.31 post:

For every document that you provide, you must include the original document and a photocopy. This includes a copy of your passport bio-data page (the page containing your photograph). Please ensure that the photocopies are of good quality and can be read easily. If you do not provide a photocopy of each document, we might not return your original documents to you.
    From 8 October 2012 if you are applying for a visa using the express visa service in Guangzhou and Shenzhen you must submit a photocopy of every page of your passport including the bio-data page.

The parts I have underlined suggest that ignoring passports which must obviously be copied, you do not need to send copies of other documents on pain of not having the originals returned.

Belt and braces though!
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 19/11/12, 07:00 pm

handyal wrote:The UKBA staff use the Policy and Law section of Immigration Rules as internal guidance when considering applications. It can be found here:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/

Within that section you can find guidance on Maintenance and Accomodation for Family Members.

6. ACCOMMODATION
    The word "exclusively" was added to HC 395 in reference to the accommodation requirement in order to make the Rules consistent with Tribunal determinations. Accommodation can be shared with other members of a family provided that at least part of the accommodation is for the exclusive use of the sponsor and his dependants. The unit of accommodation may be as small as a separate bedroom but:
    -
    -
    -
    6.1. Ownership
    The couple should provide evidence that the property is either owned or rented by themselves. This may be in the form of a letter from the building society, a copy of the property deeds and, in the case of rented accommodation, a rent book and lease agreement. Where the accommodation is rented from a local authority or housing association, correspondence from the landlord can normally be regarded as genuine and sufficient. Greater care needs to be taken where there is purportedly private tenancy. If there are any aspects of the case which raise substantial doubts, corroborative evidence of residence should be sought. If the accommodation is not "owned" (in the sense that the sponsor is not the head of the household but is, for instance, a son or daughter of the family) the Rules require there to be adequate accommodation, which the couple and their dependants occupy for their exclusive use. This need not be a separate house or self-contained flat but, where it is as little as one bedroom of their own, enquiries should be made about the number of rooms, the number of occupants in the house and whether this is only intended to be a short term arrangement.
    6.2. Housing standards
    Local authorities have the power to set different housing standards that must be met. It would not be appropriate however, to approach local authorities in each case to see whether their standards are met. The applicant or sponsor should be asked to provide evidence that the accommodation provided will be adequate. This may take the form of a letter from a housing authority, a building society or a description of the premises that we can be satisfied is accurate and genuine.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/section1/annexf.pdf?view=Binary

The links you provide above relate to Family Members, Spouses in respect of Settlement. The links do not refer to visits by a family member for a short term.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 19/11/12, 07:06 pm

makem wrote:
    The parts I have underlined suggest that ignoring passports which must obviously be copied, you do not need to send copies of other documents on pain of not having the originals returned.

Belt and braces though!

I'd go along with that theory, however all VAF applications are treated under the same guidance rules and very recently Derek had to submit copies of all documents he provided - including e-mails, chat logs etc.
    800+ photocopies if my memory serves me correctly.

The VFS have facilities to take photocopy's. 1RMB a copy if required.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 19/11/12, 07:13 pm

makem wrote:
    handyal wrote:The UKBA staff use the Policy and Law section of Immigration Rules as internal guidance when considering applications. It can be found here:

6. ACCOMMODATION
    -
    -
    -
    6.1. Ownership
    6.2. Housing standards

The links you provide above relate to Family Members, Spouses in respect of Settlement. The links do not refer to visits by a family member for a short term.

The links refer to any VAF application. It's general guidance for VFS staff and the general rules which they use. Housing standards must be proved for any application.
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 19/11/12, 08:03 pm

I'll try it another way!

Immigration Rules for Visitors.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/

Part 2. Persons seeking to Enter or Remain in the UK as Visitors. Para 40-46.

41. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a general visitor are that he:

(i) is genuinely seeking entry as a general visitor for a limited period as stated by him, not exceeding 6 months or not exceeding 12 months in the case of a person seeking entry to accompany an academic visitor, provided in the latter case the visitor accompanying the academic visitor has entry clearance; and

(ii) intends to leave the United Kingdom at the end of the period of the visit as stated by him; and

(iii) does not intend to take employment in the United Kingdom; and

(iv) does not intend to produce goods or provide services within the United Kingdom, including the selling of goods or services direct to members of the public; and

(v) does not intend to undertake a course of study; and

(vi) will maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately out of resources available to him without recourse to public funds or taking employment; or will, with any dependants, be maintained and accommodated adequately by relatives or friends; and

Leave to enter as a general visitor
    42. A person seeking leave to enter to the United Kingdom as a general visitor may be admitted for a period not exceeding 6 months, or not exceeding 12 months in the case of a person accompanying an academic visitor, subject to a condition prohibiting employment, study and recourse to public funds, provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 41 is met.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part2/

It's your son who has to prove he is staying in suitable accomodation.

handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 19/11/12, 08:13 pm

It's already tried and tested Eric.

Both Derek and Steve has successful applications and they both supplied Property Inspection Reports and/or Tenancy Agreements.

I have a local friend (also called Eric) and his wife SunYie who were recently refused a Family Visitor Visa for their neice. He phoned me hurling abuse at the UKBA. From his explanation, I guessed he didn't supply enough documentation.

The day after he received the refusal notice from his neice.
    It was refused because of lack of financial statements and proof of accomodation.

Eric is retired, he sent his standard bank statements but they didn't prove where his Income came from. He has Investments and other Income that is paid into one account (business account) from which he transfers money to a standard account.
    He also sent no proof of his property other than to state it was a 3 bed house on the application form.

'But it's a new house, can't they check' he asked!

He reapplied after speaking to me and submitted more documentation.
    His neice is now in the UK!
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 19/11/12, 11:07 pm

I will supply:

1. Evidence of financial ability in the form of:
    a) Original bank statements over the previous 6 months
    b) Letters from the banks and investment companies showing the total amount of savings and investments.
    c) Letters from my pension providers showing annual income from each
    d) A summary showing detailed monthly income from above sources and monthly necessary expenditure

2. Certified copies of mine and Han's passport data pages together with a certified copy of Han's BRP.

3. Translated marriage documents

4. Accommodation evidence.

5. Invitation letter from me plus one from Han with proposed itinerary and offer to pay all UK expenses plus supply a flight ticket and RMB for travel to and from Beijing Airport.

6. Evidence showing I bought a car because this is an unusual expense in my finances.

Han son will provide:

1. Letter from employer stating permission for holiday without pay and regular salary amount

2. Letter from the company he provides free-lance translations for proving income from them

3. Financial evidence of salary and savings from his bank. He has other cash in-hand income he cannot mention.

4. Family book which shows his mother owns the property in which he lives. (Actually he lives elsewhere but that is where his Hu Kou shows)

5. Passport

6. Police certificate in place of his missing birth certificate.

7. Samples of online conversations over last 3 months with me and his mother. (MSN & QQ)

8. Photos

9. He also wants to prove he owns a new car - says 'people' say they did that and it helped show he will go back.

He will have translations and any necessary copies made in the VAC, Beijing to avoid certification need.

What have I not covered?

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 19/11/12, 11:10 pm

Sorry, forgot to ask what beer to pay the fee in!

(Your fee lol)
    handyal
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by handyal on 20/11/12, 06:20 pm

Just a few comments to add for your consideration Eric.

makem wrote:I will supply:

1. Evidence of financial ability in the form of:
    a) Original bank statements over the previous 6 months
    b) Letters from the banks and investment companies showing the total amount of savings and investments.
    c) Letters from my pension providers showing annual income from each
    d) A summary showing detailed monthly income from above sources and monthly necessary expenditure
    A summary is fine but prove the expenditure just the same as you are with Income.
    Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas, Electric Bills.

2. Certified copies of mine and Han's passport data pages together with a certified copy of Han's BRP.

3. Translated marriage documents
    Supply original marriage books + English translation.

4. Accommodation evidence.

5. Invitation letter from me plus one from Han with proposed itinerary and offer to pay all UK expenses plus supply a flight ticket and RMB for travel to and from Beijing Airport.

6. Evidence showing I bought a car because this is an unusual expense in my finances.

In addition supply a notice from Inland Revenue. Employees provide a P60. This is only to prove you are registered and paying taxes to the Government. A law abiding citizen!

Han son will provide:

1. Letter from employer stating permission for holiday without pay and regular salary amount

2. Letter from the company he provides free-lance translations for proving income from them

3. Financial evidence of salary and savings from his bank. He has other cash in-hand income he cannot mention.

4. Family book which shows his mother owns the property in which he lives. (Actually he lives elsewhere but that is where his Hu Kou shows)
    Ensure he supplies the actual address he is living, otherwise it could be considered as misleading information. It's quite common for the Hukou to have the Family 'home' address and not the address of your actual abode. They are aware of this fact.

5. Passport

6. Police certificate in place of his missing birth certificate.
    He will need a Record of No Criminal Convictions from the Police. Be honest and simply state you lost your Birth Certificate. Copy his ID card - this has his date of birth encrypted within his number.

7. Samples of online conversations over last 3 months with me and his mother. (MSN & QQ)

8. Photos

9. He also wants to prove he owns a new car - says 'people' say they did that and it helped show he will go back.
    Good idea!

He will have translations and any necessary copies made in the VAC, Beijing to avoid certification need.
    If VFS do the translations don't forget to ask and pay for copies of these, then the original translations should be returned. Never know when they might be needed again.

What have I not covered?

makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 20/11/12, 11:46 pm

Cheers Alan. Fees will be paid when next we meet.

GBA
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 448
    Where I live : Gloucester, UK
    Registration date : 2012-02-06

Post by GBA on 26/11/12, 08:03 pm

Hi Makem.

Has Hans son applied yet?

GBA
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 26/11/12, 09:06 pm

GBA wrote:Hi Makem.

Has Hans son applied yet?

GBA

No, I am awaiting two more letters re. finance and then we can start his online application. He has all the documents he needs.

I am hoping that once he starts the application, I also will be able to view it and help if necessary. If he gives me the reference and password that should be possible. You may want to try that too. I believe that as long as you return to the application and save it once per week you can take as long as you like to complete it. (need to confirm that)Once printed I don't think you can access it again.

We go to France on 23rd Dec and I expect to have everything in the post to China by then. As soon as I post it he will apply and make his appointment as soon as he receives the documents from me.

For him it means a 6+ hour journey to Beijing by train, staying a night and then returning home so he needs to take time off work.
    Derek
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 291
    Where I live : Blackpool
    Registration date : 2008-02-18

Post by Derek on 26/11/12, 10:03 pm

Hi Eric

Yes, you can complete the application from this end, I did with Tina's application. you can input information bit by bit if you wish and keep saving the on-line application, it's password protected.

BUT Once you confirm and print, you are committed and cannot go back, Han's son will have to print a copy and take it to Beijing with him and the documents, get him to make a copy (you may be able to print 2 copies but not sure) send it to you, if you need it.

As Han's son been to the visa office in Beijing before?

Derk
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 26/11/12, 10:21 pm

Hi Eric and Han Smile

We filled out all the Application on line for Feng Na and before she submitted it.

We were on Q Q at the time but everything was double checked first.

If Han Son's English is of a reasonable level which judging by what you have already said would seem correct.

Han's Son would be quite capable of filling out this Application on line himself.

Our Daughter Feng Na was correcting my mistakes Embarassed Laughing .

Good luck with his Application.

Steve, Li Li and Feng Na Very Happy Smile .
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 26/11/12, 10:35 pm

Yes, Hans son's English is University standard and quite good except for the usual grammar difficulties. I am sure he could complete the application but would like the backup to check everything is in order.

He has never been to the Application centre but has been to Beijing many times.

If you can only print once you can easily copy what you have printed. Actually he will scan it and send us the file.

Thanks both for the interest.

BTW we are not going to venture up North which appears to becoming a lake.

GBA
    Intermediate Member
    Intermediate Member

Male
    Number of posts : 448
    Where I live : Gloucester, UK
    Registration date : 2012-02-06

Post by GBA on 27/11/12, 07:09 am

Yep Eric. You can only print 1 copy. Scan and email to you would be the way to go. As you say, if he gives you the ref. no. and password with email address then you can access it as well without a problem.

Just remember than after completing a page you need to click to the next page, then click save. If he/you complete say 3 pages worth of info then you need to click to the next page and then save. If you complete a page/s and then click save all the info on the page you just completed is lost.

Good luck.

GBA
    makem
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by makem on 27/11/12, 10:06 am

GBA wrote:Yep Eric. You can only print 1 copy. Scan and email to you would be the way to go. As you say, if he gives you the ref. no. and password with email address then you can access it as well without a problem.

Just remember than after completing a page you need to click to the next page, then click save. If he/you complete say 3 pages worth of info then you need to click to the next page and then save. If you complete a page/s and then click save all the info on the page you just completed is lost.

Good luck.

GBA

Is there online guidance on that (saving)? It does sound strange. It suggests you can never save the last page but instead must print.
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Post by luckysteve on 27/11/12, 06:53 pm

Hi Eric and Han Smile .

When you have completed so much of the on line Application and you press save.

The next time you sign into it before the seven day limit, you just carry on with the questions.

From memory which bearing in mind in not that good Laughing , you can not look back over previous sections once you have saved it.

Hope this helps a little Smile .

Steve, Li Li and Feng Na Very Happy Smile .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 09:58 am