Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 134
    Where I live : UK
    I have visited China : 6 times
    Registration date : 2010-01-17

Help with the next step

Post by Kev on 23/02/13, 09:14 pm

Hi to all on here, I have been away for sometime but hope you can give me and Yen some help. Yen has the settlement visa, this was from October 2011. We are now looking at IDL. Can you advise what is the next step for us.
    Many thanks
    Kev
    luckysteve
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 563
    Where I live : Ashton - Under - Lyne
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-08-16

Re: Help with the next step

Post by luckysteve on 23/02/13, 10:34 pm

Hi Kev and Yen Smile .

At the moment we are going through this stage, so hopefully we should be able to answer some of your questions.

If Yen Visa was granted in October 2011 and it should be a 27 month Visa like Li Li so it will expire January 2014.

You have time on your side Smile .

I am going to do a post about Li Li Visa Application as soon as I can borrow a scanner, to try and make it easier for people to understand or at least know what to expect.

The only draw back is there is very few of us on the old rules Sad , Derek and Tina unfortunately have to abide by the new 5 year rule.

In the meantime please have a quick read of Eric's post below which might help.

http://nanninginfosite.editboard.com/t3152-ilr-when-to-apply-when-received

Steve, Li Li and Feng Na Very Happy Smile .

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 24/02/13, 01:54 am

Hi Kev,
    Welcome back to the Forum.

One of Mei's friends recently applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK. (ILR).

I hope this helps;

The current fees for applying for ILR are £991 if Yen applies by post and she can expect to wait around 6 months for a decision. While she is waiting for a decision she is regarded as still being on her Settlement visa so she can continue to work in UK but it is difficult to travel without her passport or with a passport with an apparently invalid visa.
    Or £1377 if she makes an appointment for an over the counter application at one of the UKBA's Enquiry Offices. You should both attend an interview together for the over the counter service.
    There is an additional fee of £19.20 to have Yen's biometrics taken.

If Yen applies by post she can have her documents checked by a local authority office to make sure the application is in order and that all the correct documents have been supplied. I think this costs an additional £80 but in my opinion is well worth it because she gets to keep hold of her Passport instead of it disappearing into the bowels of the UKBA for months (Mei's son's passport never reappeared from UKBA after his ILR application and was difficult to replace). Even if she were to apply over the counter it would be worth getting the local authority service to check out that she has all the correct documents before she travels to a UKBA Office.

Under the old rules, prior to July 2012, Yen needs to have been continuously in UK for 24 months before she applies for ILR. You indicated that Yen got her Settlement visa in October 2011 but what you need is the date that she actually set foot in UK and work 24 months from then. She is allowed to have been on holiday or visits back to China within the 24 months but the UKBA advise that a letter from her UK employer explaining how long she was away for and the reasons should be submitted in her application. (Annual leave, attending to sick relative in China. etc).
    She also needs to submit proof that she has been learning English by submitting ESOL exam passes.
    And that she has some knowledge of "Life in the UK". She can either sit a test or submit a letter from the ESOL examination College to the effect that "Life in the UK" was included in the ESOL course.

I've probably forgotten something but read the links and get back to us with any questions.
    One more point - the forms required can change very quickly - When Mei was applying in 2009 the form Set(M) changed twice in two weeks - so make sure you download an up to date form just before Yen applies but you can download and complete one now just to have an idea what is required. I know a couple who had applied recently with the "help" of a lawyer but they had their application rejected because the application was submitted on the wrong form.

Completing application form SET(M)
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset%28m%29/

The Form Set(M) and Guide SET(M) and photo guidance can be downloaded from the links on the right side of the page.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset%28m%29/scs/
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 24/02/13, 08:07 am

Thanks David and Steve for all the good advice and information given.
    Kev
    Kev
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male

Post by Kev on 24/02/13, 10:05 am

Hi David
    Does Yen have to do both the Life in the UK test and the ESOL English exam, sorry for the confusion. Is this two seperate exams or are they done together.
    Thanks.
    Kev

davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Post by davidmckendrick on 24/02/13, 10:14 am

Hi Kev,
    they are separate exams but, sometimes the ESOL course includes "Knowledge of Life in the UK" and therefore the person sitting the ESOL exam does not have to sit a separate Knowledge of Life in the UK exam. Mei sat and failed the Knowledge of Life in the UK but then discovered this was included in her ESOL course. So her teacher arranged to send a covering letter with her ESOL Certificate to say that Knowledge of Life in the UK was already included in the ESOL course so she did not have to sit a separate exam. So it depends on the ESOL courses that Yen has been studying. You'd have to ask her teacher about this. The teachers tend to know a lot more about applying for visas than you do and what is required so worth having a chat with them. Our ESOL Courses in Livingston were severely cut in the last round of government cuts. The government says they want migrants to learn English and to integrate but then cut funding to ESOL courses????

David
    davey.B
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 147
    Where I live : wigan, lancashire, england
    Registration date : 2009-05-17

Post by davey.B on 25/02/13, 12:18 pm

HI kev,

keep all you household bills , get your wife's name put on the bills with you . Discuss setting up a joint account or, make a transfer each month from your account into your wife's account by the bank or vice versa. Thi s logs the transfer and make s the accounts connected .keep all letter from local authority bodies and doctors , dentist and the like.

It is a matter of providing a strong body of eveidence that shows you live together as man and wife.
    the visa checking service is a must. The £80 fee is good value as they are very specific in what they want .
    good luck and start making those files from day one .

best regards

dave.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 13/12/18, 08:32 am