Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 526
    Where I live : UK/Guangzhou
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-03-16

New Marriage rules

Post by gaffer on 08/03/16, 04:57 pm

I can see a small problem with this site in that the date of the posts does not identify the year. Neutral

Does anyone one have information on the replacement for the no impediment document? It seems that you now swear an affidavit at a Chinese consulate. So looking at the relevant fees page I assume this is the document?

Issuing a certificate (in local language) that no impediment to an intended marriage or civil
    partnership has been shown to exist, or issuing any local equivalent document for an intended
    marriage or overseas relationship in accordance with local law 65.00 625yuan

or is it this?

Solemnizing a marriage under the Foreign Marriages Acts 1892 and 1947 administering oaths
    to the parties and registering the marriage; or registering a civil partnership under the Civil
    Partnership (Registration Abroad and Certificates) Order 2005 140.00 1345yuan

This is a link to the fees page; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/505907/FEE_TABLE_07-03-2016.pdf
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1789
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Re: New Marriage rules

Post by chinatyke on 09/03/16, 01:25 pm

It would be the first item.

If you are getting married in China it is important to understand that neither diplomats nor consulate officials of the foreigner's own country, nor clergy of any country, have the authority to perform marriages in China. So that bars any UK embassy in China from "solemnising a marriage" but they could "register the marriage" if you wanted to do that.
    Source (2003): http://www.china.org.cn/english/Life/67167.htm

gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 09/03/16, 03:34 pm

No Solemnizing or registering is required, it was the price and terminology I was confused with. The new system requires the swearing of an oath rather than applying for a cert of no impediment. Administering an oath is mentioned in the second quote, cert of no imped is mentioned in the first. Confusing.
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 31/08/16, 07:52 am

Re: CNI
    Further to my previous post I can now confirm that the old CNI (certificate of no impediment) requirement has changed. Instead of obtaining a CNI in your home country you must attend the British Embassy or consulate and swear an Affidavit if you are religious or Affirmation if you are not. Cost of this is around 50 and you will need proof ie decree absolute if divorced or death certificate if a widower. I assume they have ways of checking if you are unmarried?

It states on the .gov.uk website that you also need your partners Hukou and ID. However, at the consulate they also ask for her divorce book (if appropriate).

This new system seems easier in some ways but inconvenient if you don't live near Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing or Guangzhou. (Embassy/consulate locations).

BTW after many years together Yan and I finally decided to marry and apply for her UK Settlement visa. After visiting the UK she decided it wasn't such a bad place to live Wink I'm pleased to say we applied on July 15th and the application was successful. She arrives Sept 18th. Smile

I have to say that whoever makes the rules has a definite cruel streak. She receives an email stating that a decision has been made and documents are on their way back to GZ but doesn't give the result. She then received a text on Friday afternoon (we paid extra for) informing her that documents were ready to collect so had to wait until Monday (sleepless nights) to collect the documents and check if there was a visa in her passport. The actual email informing documents were ready to collect arrived Monday. By this time the month she has to pack up and leave is down to 3 weeks. The date is from the decision day, not allowing for shipping and admin time.

Elephantbleu
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 100
    Where I live : UK
    Registration date : 2013-10-20

Post by Elephantbleu on 31/08/16, 10:46 am

gaffer wrote:Re: CNI

Further to my previous post I can now confirm that the old CNI (certificate of no impediment) requirement has changed.
    Instead of obtaining a CNI in your home country you must attend the British Embassy or consulate and swear an Affidavit if you are religious or Affirmation if you are not.
    Cost of this is around 50 and you will need proof ie decree absolute if divorced or death certificate if a widower. I assume they have ways of checking if you are unmarried?

When Fay and I got married in China in September 2012, I had my decree absolute from the UK courts.
    I took this to the British Embassy in Beijing.

A week (may be more, can't remember) later we returned to the Embassy to collect our CNI.
    It was two documents.
    Primary document was in English, and contained the red seal, and a small blue ribbon melted into the hot wax seal.
    The secondary document was a certified photocopy copy of the primary document, however all in Mandarin.

All was signed by the UK Embassy diplomat holding position.

When we went to fays home city, Harbin, we handed in the two copies, one English, one Mandarin, then we were married there and then my the presiding officials.
    Got our red marriage book each, there and then
    Got a mandarin booklet with photocopies of our red books each, and the declarations.
    We were taken to another building close by, where they completed the certified copy in English.

All quite easy as far as I can remember.

Gra
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 31/08/16, 11:55 am

Even more simple now. You make an appointment with the Embassy/Consulate on line and then everything is done while you wait. The document seems less ornate and is dual language.

The marriage in Guangzhou took a little longer shuttling between different windows to complete paper work and payments etc. After this we were ushered into a rather ornate wedding room where a kind of ceremony (vows?) took place and of course the official photographs. We were able to view the photos and select which we wanted at so much each (forgotten how much).
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by chinatyke on 01/09/16, 01:30 am

Congratulations and best wishes to you both for a long and happy life together.

That is good that the Consulate do the documents whilst you wait. Quite right, they charge enough for their services. Has the cost gone up because of the exchange rate?

What was the cost of the marriage service? I think it was 8 or 9 rmb when I did it in Liuzhou and we had to provide the wedding photos.

1234mil17
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 249
    Where I live : australia
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2012-05-19

expensive wedding

Post by 1234mil17 on 03/09/16, 11:01 pm

Hi , i still joke today when i hear of the cost of ppl getting married , in the west when i tell them it cost me 9 yuan (was 6/7 yuan to the dollar in 2008) plus wife did not want any reception/party which is usually the case so looks like i was one of the lucky ones LOL compared to some of the stories i have read over the years . Mil
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by chinatyke on 04/09/16, 06:53 am

Mine must have cost me 9rmb also, 0.56 GB pounds at the time, but I've been paying ever since!

We didn't have a reception either, just went by train to Liuzhou in the morning, got my documents translated, got married, dinner for 4 people and evening train back to Nanning. I've always thought it was daft to spend mega-bucks on a wedding service when young couples need the money for so many other things.
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 04/09/16, 07:38 am

I can't complain at the cost of the marriage. Yan didn't want a big celebration, just a dinner for a few friends one of whom insisted on paying. Smile I guess on the downside we missed out on the hong bao (lai see) but I'm sure I would have found that embarrassing. I was always under the impression that it was a good almost anonymous system but no, the envelope is opened and money counted in front of guests and giver.

My biggest gripe is the cost of a settlement visa. With the 25% hike this year and not allowing for any subsequent increases I estimate the total cost over the five years at around 10,000. Probably the biggest scam is the English tests. Yan speaks fluent English but we still had to pay for the on line course. At her test she was paired with a man who could hardly manage two words of English but had to converse with him.

The UK government website was obviously never "designed" or was designed to be difficult to use. An evil plan to dissuade immigrants no doubt. Following links usually takes you on a tour ending up where you started, and neatly hiding some little surprises (like the NHS fee!). Trying to use the search facility often produces some interesting results such as HGV driver information or employment legislation.

What it lacks is one simple page listing the process from start to finish with links to a page explaining each step and importantly a "return to list" link.

At least we are past the first hurdle but I'm sure there will be more to come.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by chinatyke on 05/09/16, 06:57 am

This website is a bit out of date with UK settlement visa requirements and the procedure. How about you bringing us up to date and posting a blow by blow account? It would be interesting to see the costs and time for the various stages.
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 05/09/16, 10:03 am

chinatyke wrote:This website is a bit out of date with UK settlement visa requirements and the procedure. How about you bringing us up to date and posting a blow by blow account? It would be interesting to see the costs and time for the various stages.

Yes I had noticed things are a little out of date. I'm currently back in the UK and house/granny sitting on the Isle of Arran, (Scotland). Mother is 97 and lives with my sister who is on holiday. Yan arrives next week, rather sooner than anticipated and the house needs to be spick and span before she arrives. pale When she is here and settled in we will sit down and write out the procedure and advice (she has a far better memory than me Rolling Eyes )

Elephantbleu
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 100
    Where I live : UK
    Registration date : 2013-10-20

Post by Elephantbleu on 07/09/16, 03:50 pm

I am sure I read some where, that if your Chinese wife, has a degree in an English subject, then her is exempt from the English test.
    Some thing along them lines, can't exactly remember.

Gra
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 07/09/16, 05:33 pm

Elephantbleu wrote:I am sure I read some where, that if your Chinese wife, has a degree in an English subject, then her is exempt from the English test.
    Some thing along them lines, can't exactly remember.

Gra

Yes, I believe a degree in English or any degree taken in English.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 23/10/18, 10:38 pm