Nanning and China Information Forum

Information for the UK, , about Nanning and China

She arrives, the saga continues and I question my logic. Is it me?

gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 526
    Where I live : UK/Guangzhou
    I have visited China : 9 times or more
    Registration date : 2009-03-16

She arrives, the saga continues and I question my logic. Is it me?

Post by gaffer on 05/10/16, 03:07 pm

I parked in the short stay car park expecting Yan to pass through immigration, pick up her luggage and be out in an hour........ wishful thinking !  Immigration decided two staff would be enough for non EU passengers. Of course it didn't seem to dawn on anyone that foreign students would be arriving en masse and seem to take far longer being processed. Eventually some bright spark decided to add a channel just for students. Two hours later Yan emerged and I paid £18 car park charges.  Shocked  

Collected the Residence card from the Post Office and was somewhat surprised to be asked where she would be living. On examining the card I was even more surprised to find her place of birth but not her new UK address (like a driving licence). Not sure if it's buried in the chip. As we now have to provide evidence of her UK home address for various things this was somewhat of a disappointment. You would think a residence card would include the residence?

We had no problem registering at the local GP practice even without proof of address. The bank was not so accommodating. They require utility bill, correspondence from DWP, driving licence, local council tax bill etc etc. all impossible to produce at this stage.  So we started with the water company. No problem at all (other than increasing the estimated charge from one to two people)  Crying or Very sad  and even sent a “real” letter in confirmation. Gas/Electric not quite so straight forward as I use online facility. They added Yan to the account but cannot produce a letter until the next bill is due. Then I have to call to give readings and ask for a “real” bill. Local council happy to add Yan and increase my rate bill (loss of 25% discount for single occupancy) Crying or Very sad  

I was quite surprised that Barclaycard were happy to issue additional cards in Yan’s name with no proof of anything, so at least she can exist for a while if I get squished by a bus tomorrow. It appears that they are happy to accept the word of a long time customer whereas the bank (Santander) are not.

It seems ironic that the bank (and DWP) need evidence from Utility companies etc. that don’t actually need the proof to provide it.  scratch

Elephantbleu
    Interested Member
    Interested Member

Male
    Number of posts : 100
    Where I live : UK
    Registration date : 2013-10-20

Re: She arrives, the saga continues and I question my logic. Is it me?

Post by Elephantbleu on 10/10/16, 11:40 am

Hi gaffer,

So have you never "tailgated" out of barrier car park before?

Sounds reasonably similar to when Fay arrived in UK with me, to live, with her residence.

So not much has changed.

Still one set of folk asking for ID, from another set of folk who don't need ID to create an ID.

Bit of a fluff up.

Gra
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 10/10/16, 12:00 pm

The barriers come down pretty sharpish at Manchester airport...... and they have security cameras. But I don't think they charge for simple dropoffs (yet) as some airports do. They seem to be taking lessons from the ripoff cheap airlines on how to part customers from their money. Latest plan is to charge passengers to pass through immigration quicker.
    chinatyke
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1795
    Where I live : Nanning & Pingguo, Guangxi
    I have visited China : I live in China
    Registration date : 2006-09-09

Post by chinatyke on 13/10/16, 11:14 am

Congratulations Gaffer at overcoming the hurdles. Best wishes for your future together.

My late wife inadvertently tried tailgating at the Mersey tunnel exit. The barrier didn't survive but it didn't do any harm to the car when she hit it! Actually she threw her £1 coin into the basket without stopping and the coin bounced around and didn't drop and the barrier came down. She stopped, then drove off. I reminded her that everything will be on video but we didn't hear anything else.
    gaffer
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by gaffer on 13/10/16, 11:40 am

Thank you. We now have a break for a couple of years before we start over again with who knows what obstacle our illustrious leaders might conjure up.  Neutral

The barrier system is a little more complicated at Manchester airport. On arrival you are presented with a plastic "coin" at the entrance. When you are ready to leave you use a terminal in the airport building to pay by inserting the "coin". After recovering from the shock and paying, the "coin" is returned for use at the barrier. If you wanted to risk tailgating you would need to find somewhere to lurk whilst waiting for your victim and be close enough to tag on. Virtually impossible there without blocking the exit.

I haven't encountered the coin tossing system in the UK but they are popular on US toll roads.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 07:34 am