Dedicated  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 518
    Where I live : Norwich UK
    I have visited China : 2 times
    Registration date : 2008-02-17

Health Insurance

Post by Mudgy190 on 16/11/08, 07:51 pm

Not sure if i'm in the right place for this, but I have been thinking about what needs to be done for my wife to be when she arrives here in Uk
    I understand that she will have no access to health care through the NHS if she should become ill.
    I know she needs to be registered with a GP for 6 months prior to taking up private health insurance. Has anyone experience of this and whats best to do?
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male
    Number of posts : 2192
    Where I live : Livingston Scotland
    Registration date : 2007-05-12

Re: Health Insurance

Post by davidmckendrick on 17/11/08, 04:21 am

As a spouse on a "settlement visa" she is entitled to free NHS treatment. If she were on a "visitor visa" she would not be entitled to free NHS treatment. It is a good idea to get her registered with a GP and dentist as soon as possible after she arrives.
    David

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 20/11/08, 04:46 pm

Thanks Dave, does that also apply to her daughter?

Post by Guest on 20/11/08, 09:54 pm

Hi Patrick

Yes it applies to your daughter free medical care, doesn't apply to Scottish men living in England lol

Mudgy190
    Dedicated Member
    Dedicated  Member

Male

Post by Mudgy190 on 23/11/08, 07:08 pm

Free whisky on the NHS thats what I say. When are we meeting up Robert?
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 21/07/10, 06:58 am

I found this information about NHS treatment. The leaflets downloadable from the website http://www.hris.org.uk/index.aspx?o=3936 give more guidance.

If you are coming to Scotland on holiday or to visit friends or relatives, you may have to pay for any health care you need while you are here and should get travel insurance with medical cover before your trip. This section tells you about the health care you may be able to get free from the NHS if you become ill or have an accident.

Can I get free NHS care while I am on holiday in Scotland?

• Yes, some health care services are free for everyone. These include:
      • emergency care in a hospital (in the accident and emergency department or in the casualty department)
        emergency care at a GP surgery
        emergency transport in an ambulance
      • sexual health services
      • treatment for some infectious diseases and sexually transmitted infections.
      • If you need other health care, NHS staff will ask you to show them some documents to help them decide if you can be treated as an NHS patient.

Can I get health care from the NHS when I visit Scotland? If you work outside the EEA or Switzerland you can get health care from the NHS in Scotland if you lived in the UK legally for more than 10 years before moving abroad, and:
    you have worked abroad for less than five years, or

• you have worked abroad for five years or more, and:
    • you have come back to the UK for a visit at least once every two years, or
    • your contract of employment allows you to visit the UK at least once every two years, or
    • your employer will pay for the cost of your return to the UK at the end of your contract.
    I receive a UK state pension and I live abroad. Can I get health care from the NHS when I visit Scotland?

• You can get health care from the NHS when you visit Scotland if:
    • you spend at least six months of the year in the UK and the rest of the time in the EEC or Switzerland, or
    • you spend at least nine months of the year in the UK and the rest of the time in another country.

I receive a UK state pension but I live abroad all or most of the time. Will I be able to get health care from the NHS when I visit Scotland?

If you need treatment for an illness or condition that develops while you are visiting Scotland, you will be able to get this from the NHS if:

you lived in the UK for more than 10 years before moving abroad, or

• You may be able to get treatment for an illness or condition that you had before you came to Scotland, if it gets worse after you arrive. But its up to the doctor providing treatment to decide whether to treat you as an NHS patient.

I have a UK passport. I used to live abroad, but I am moving to Scotland. Can I get health care from the NHS?

• If you have a UK passport and you move to Scotland to live permanently, you can get health care from the NHS.

What do I need to do?

• You need to contact a GP as soon as possible after you arrive in Scotland, and ask them to register you as an NHS patient.
    • When you have found a GP surgery, contact them and make an appointment to register as an NHS patient.
    • What happens when I register as an NHS patient?

When you register at the GP surgery, the staff will ask you for some personal information for example, your name, address and date of birth.
    • They will ask to see some documents to help them decide if you can register as an NHS patient. If you need hospital care, staff at the hospital will also ask to see those documents. For example, they may ask you to show:

• your passport, and documents showing that you intend to stay in the UK for example, the lease or mortgage for your home in the UK, council tax documents, a TV licence, one-­way travel tickets, or a bill for shipping goods to the UK

• If you dont have the documents they ask for, NHS staff may not be able to treat you as an NHS patient. You may need to pay for any care you receive.
    • If you receive health care from the NHS before you are registered as an NHS patient, you may be asked to pay for this. This might happen, for example, if you are waiting to get the documents you need for registering as an NHS patient. After you are registered, any money you have paid will be returned to you.
    I have a UK passport. I have a home in Scotland and a home abroad. Do the same rules apply to me?

• You can get health care from the NHS when in Scotland if:
      you spend at least nine months of the year in the UK, and

you have been in the UK for at least six months before making a claim.
    • I am seeking asylum. Can I get health care from the NHS in Scotland?

• You can get health care from the NHS if:

• your application for asylum is being considered, or
        • you have been refused asylum and you are appealing against the decision.

I have been granted asylum. Can I get health care from the NHS?

• You will continue to get health care from the NHS if you have been:

• given the right to stay in the UK as a refugee
        • granted humanitarian protection, or
        • granted discretionary leave.

I have been refused asylum. Can I get health care from the NHS in Scotland?

• If you have been refused asylum, and any appeals against the decision have also failed, you can still get health care from the NHS while you are in Scotland.
      • Any course of treatment you started having while you were seeking asylum should be completed or continued until you leave the country.

CPRSCC
    Valued Contributor
    Valued Contributor

Male
    Number of posts : 527
    Where I live : Canberra, Australia
    I have visited China : 7 times
    Registration date : 2010-05-06

Post by CPRSCC on 26/07/10, 10:13 am

For those in Australia we found that it is possible to register with Medicare (like NHS) and obtain medical treatment subsidised by the national scheme even while on a temporary visa, i.e. while waiting for permanent residency status. This seems to go against the sponsorship that I had to provide - that I would support her without any help from the Government for the first two years but all Medicare require is a copy of the letter from the Department of Immigration that the application has been received.

There is a trap though. She must enrol in private health cover within 12 months of registering with Medicare or being eligible to register with Medicare in order to escape the age loading which can add significantly to premiums for the rest of her life, and most health funds don't provide cover for non permanent residents. Those that do include Medibank and their rates are exorbitant. The age loading is calculated as though she hadn't had cover since age 31, regardless of the fact that she wasn't here, and adds 2% for every year that her age is over 31 when she takes out private health cover.

So, the choice is register with Medicare and ensure that she takes private cover at high premium rates until permanent residency is granted when she can come under your own private health cover (family or couple rates), or, take the risk and don't enrol with Medicare until permanent residency is obtained. It's a very big risk because she would have no cover at all in the event of accident or emergency or just some unforeseen medical problem.
    davidmckendrick
    Senior  Member

Male

Post by davidmckendrick on 26/07/10, 02:43 pm

Hi CPRSCC,
    My friend in Sweden invited her elderly parents to visit from Kenya. Her father had been there for a couple of weeks before he had a stroke and is now in hospital. He had had previous strokes in Kenya but she said she had managed to get health/travel insurance. I heard from her niece that the hospital stay is very expensive so I wonder whether the insurance covered preexisting conditions. It isn't worth taking a chance on not having sufficient cover!!!!
    David

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/11/18, 06:40 am